Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
It's on I-84 west of Pendleton Oregon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

We’ve hit the age where the usual play is oysters on 1/1. Everyone else has a little something on NYE early, then home to bed.

Just made me think of my non-existent New Year's plans and oh poo poo it's Hoppin' John season and I don't know if I have any of the stuff to make it. I certainly don't have a ham hock sitting around.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That looks like I-70 in Western Kansas, the most boring road I’ve ever driven on.

A hill exists if you squint in the background, so I-70 in Kansas is out.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Nervous posted:

I was going to go with I-90 between Ellensburg and Wenatchee so that's close enough.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That looks like I-70 in Western Kansas, the most boring road I’ve ever driven on.

We drive from CO to the east coast each Christmas and I try to do the drive through KS in the dark since you’re not missing anything anyway

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

This 2-pt try just does not wanna end

E: wrong thread but gently caress the Cowboys anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Freaquency posted:

We drive from CO to the east coast each Christmas and I try to do the drive through KS in the dark since you’re not missing anything anyway

Every year? gently caress that’s a lot of driving. Reminds me of my family trips every 2 years to Tampa from Chicago. Roughly 20 hours of driving each way.

I hope you’re not having to go to the northeast at least.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Luna and my resident lady Lena both have taken to parking themselves in the wardrobe by the couch. Luna did give me a scare since I wasn't expecting her to pop out there when I couldn't find her earlier.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Unfathomable is such a fun game. GF and I taught it to three newbies who got really into it. Hidden traitor(s) plus a difficult timed objective with players having different roles. Not a ton of strategy, lots of fun table talk if you have a group of people that's funny and doesn't get their feelings hurt if they get hit with actions preventing them from doing much from time to time.

Hosting a small party tomorrow mostly because then I can take the dog out before and after fireworks without issue.

Planning for a 30-40 mile ride on New Year's Day morning before getting lunch with other friends. Gonna need a week long break from socializing after this long weekend.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Every year? gently caress that’s a lot of driving. Reminds me of my family trips every 2 years to Tampa from Chicago. Roughly 20 hours of driving each way.

I hope you’re not having to go to the northeast at least.

25ish hours to the Southeast/Mid Atlantic. It’s not too bad, we swap off driving whenever we stop and that helps a lot. We also tacked on an extra day this year to spread the driving out a little more so we could do some touristy stuff on the way. We started in 2020 because of COVID, and this way we get to bring the pup along too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nervous posted:

I was on that road about a month ago heading to Centerville, WA.

My NYE plans is picking up my sister from the airport (her flight arrives at 11:45pm). We'll probably go to church as January 1 is our dad's death anniversary, tho the mausoleum our parents are interred is closed that day. We'll likely catch a lunch or an early dinner with our childhood friend from Maine that now lives in Hillsboro.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

No NYE plans since I decided not to go to a friend's wedding. We met through online dating and I know literally no one else there. So I didn't think it was a good idea.

Looking forward to a relaxing day/night at home. Although I know my neighbors are gonna be shooting off fireworks and playing music all night.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dinner was great, went bowling after and played some arcade games. Why are crane games more fun in Japan than in America? There's just something special in the air over there.

a neat cape posted:

I miss hometown buffet and the sizzler and soup plantation

Souplantation is the GOAT

Nervous posted:

Can you name this road TFF? Had to go to the next town over for weed today.

Reminds me of the 70 running through Grand Junction but there needs to be more hills if you're going into Fruita or Palisades, no?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
My friends are hosting a Barbie themed new years party. I put together an Allan outfit and will be forced to throw down if there's another Allan there. There can be only one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dango Bango posted:

No NYE plans since I decided not to go to a friend's wedding. We met through online dating and I know literally no one else there. So I didn't th0ink it was a good idea.

Looking forward to a relaxing day/night at home. Although I know my neighbors are gonna be shooting off fireworks and playing music all night.

Getting married on a holiday always seems dumb to me. Beyond it ruining the holiday if you get divorced, it just seems like now it becomes much harder and more annoying to go out for a nice dinner for your anniversary. Like, it's your first (or second or fifth, I don't know what it's like to be married) wedding anniversary, honeymoon isn't quite over, but you've settled into a bit of a routine that you want to break out of a little, do something unusual or nice just to help rekindle the spark. Now imagine what it's like trying to do that on New Years Eve versus January 12th? Same with like a weekend getaway or whatever.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Air Skwirl posted:

Getting married on a holiday always seems dumb to me. Beyond it ruining the holiday if you get divorced, it just seems like now it becomes much harder and more annoying to go out for a nice dinner for your anniversary. Like, it's your first (or second or fifth, I don't know what it's like to be married) wedding anniversary, honeymoon isn't quite over, but you've settled into a bit of a routine that you want to break out of a little, do something unusual or nice just to help rekindle the spark. Now imagine what it's like trying to do that on New Years Eve versus January 12th? Same with like a weekend getaway or whatever.

Wouldn't that make it better?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Me and wife’s first date was Feb. 13th cause I’m a genius

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Air Skwirl posted:

If you're a scatterbrained idiot who can't remember dates like I am I can see a slight benefit since you won't forget the day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grittybeard posted:

If you're a scatterbrained idiot who can't remember dates like I am I can see a slight benefit since you won't forget the day.

We all have tiny computers in our pockets 24/7 that have calendar apps capable of giving you reminders.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Air Skwirl posted:

We all have tiny computers in our pockets 24/7 that have calendar apps capable of giving you reminders.

"I don't need to do that, I'll remember."

*never remembers*

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Me and wife’s first date was Feb. 13th cause I’m a genius

Legit if you're on a cold streak. Valentines day on dating apps is like shooting fish in a barrel. Not advice for you obvs but for everyone else.

Last pizza of 2023.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anytime anyone complains about USPS and say it should be privatized, I need you all to remember this about a country much, much tinier than the USA.
https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1741403927864602880?s=20
I don't think USPS will ever get privatized (or at least not in my lifetime) since we're part of the Constitution, but it bugs me when people complain about it when I hear anything about how mail works in almost every other country (I bet China actually has a loving kicking mail network aside from the delay of them reading it all before delivering it, but everything I've heard about European mail loving sucks).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My mail carriers do good. Just some contactors can be lazy, but eh - so can I.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

My mail carriers do good. Just some contactors can be lazy, but eh - so can I.

Mostly I was shocked at the cost of a first class stamp. I'm pretty sure a pound is still worth more than a dollar and a first class stamp in America is 66 cents and aside from Alaska or Hawaii a letter will be in any American mailbox within 3-5 days. I don't know what a first class stamp is supposed to guarantee in the UK, but I figure 3 days is the minimum just because the letter has to visit 2-4 locations before a mailman can deliver it to you.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Mostly I was shocked at the cost of a first class stamp. I'm pretty sure a pound is still worth more than a dollar and a first class stamp in America is 66 cents and aside from Alaska or Hawaii a letter will be in any American mailbox within 3-5 days. I don't know what a first class stamp is supposed to guarantee in the UK, but I figure 3 days is the minimum just because the letter has to visit 2-4 locations before a mailman can deliver it to you.

m8 you could tell me stamp was 1 dollar or 10 c and I'd believe you. I haven't bought a stamp in my life.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’m perfectly happy with the USPS as a whole. There’s just a woman in our local post office who delights in returning stuff back for any reason. It’s literally so bad we were finally able to have a mailbox installed at our house after 40+ years of being denied because we lived too close (1 mile away) to the post office.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
My local postal carrier is awesome, my local office front desk people are awesome, I can slap poo poo in a free box and send it across the country for $17, A++ would post again

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The USPS is like a perfect example of a robust social service so of course half the country wants to destroy it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Air Skwirl posted:

We got married on July 4. Now I know that's not a major holiday like Christmas or whatever, but it works for us. We get the day off work and there are always fireworks!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My parents got married on my dad's birthday (January 22) which I always thought was clever for my dad to remember when to get my mom a nice anniversary gift. My mom's birthday is March 14 (π Day) and I'll never forget when the rest of the family forgot to celebrate it (she was not happy).

My dad died 11:10am on January 1, 2009 so now New Year's is bittersweet. Combined with the mausoleum our parents are interred in now being closed that day means we can't pay respects in a timely manner.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

We got married on July 4. Now I know that's not a major holiday like Christmas or whatever, but it works for us. We get the day off work and there are always fireworks!

:heysexy:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Well, the hillbillies around my neighborhood are already going strong with the firing range and fireworks

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LeeMajors posted:

I’m so glad I’m tall and literally never had to remotely think about height ever (except when I smack my head on things or buy cars).

I'm so glad I'm short and never thought about.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CannonFodder posted:

I'm so glad I'm short and never thought about.

Height stuff in dating is super dumb but there are a lot of dumdums out there.

In a perverse way, short dudes get a good litmus test for bad opinions—even if it’s frustrating as hell.

But toxic masculinity and all its tendrils loving suck.

I also wish I could fit into small, fun cars.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nervous posted:

Can you name this road TFF? Had to go to the next town over for weed today.

To hilly to be in Illinois

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

What's everyone doing for New Years? I'm.making some baked brie, pigs in a blanket and veggies and dip for the afternoon games today, and later on I'll be making my famous chicken parm. Wife is still sick, and kiddo is a mess if she stays up late so it's gonna be me alone ringing in the New Year.

We used to go out sometimes before our daughter was born, but as we got older I think we both felt kinda done with one more big celebration after all the hustle and bustle at Christmas, so a nice meal at home has become our default.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

What's everyone doing for New Years? I'm.making some baked brie, pigs in a blanket and veggies and dip for the afternoon games today, and later on I'll be making my famous chicken parm. Wife is still sick, and kiddo is a mess if she stays up late so it's gonna be me alone ringing in the New Year.

We used to go out sometimes before our daughter was born, but as we got older I think we both felt kinda done with one more big celebration after all the hustle and bustle at Christmas, so a nice meal at home has become our default.

My sister usually throws a small party with friends and family (around 10-15 total), and we play Jackbox or other games. She's in Mississippi now so we're having my parents over for homemade pizzas and sparkling grape juice with the kids. I doubt the parents make it until 10, so I could see myself falling asleep to bring in 2024.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I and the kid have a mild cold. Plus the family that was throwing a party just got hit with COVID. We are going to a neighbor’s house at 2 for a midday countdown with the kids. Then probably home to just chill out and probably go to bed by 11.

It’s amazing how quickly I changed my attitude about NYE once my kid was born. Used to be I absolutely was staying up to midnight, and most times I was at a party.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

trevorreznik posted:

To hilly to be in Illinois

Looks like the highway at the end of Terminator, tbh

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

My mom's side of the family do "European New Year's" where they celebrate when it's midnight in some country (Last year was Finland, this year I think Germany), with the logic being they start drinking before noon, partying and goofing around in the afternoon, celebrate in the late afternoon/early evening, and then still go to bed at a semi-reasonable hour. So I get to eat good good and hang around and then potentially do something later with friends if I'm feeling like it.

That said, last night me and my main friend group went out for someone's birthday, which started at a very nice Italian place in Fort Lauderdale and ended at a very loud, very busy Colombian club in Hallandale (So much :tutbutt:) so I didn't get home till like 4 AM and get my hearing fully back until like an hour ago lol, so we're probably not going too crazy tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Quiet Feet posted:

What's everyone doing for New Years?

Sitting in the Urgent Care making sure my kiddo doesn't have an ear infection, then going to work when my wife gets home after 3p.

Exciting times!