Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like photos and recipes of stuff you guys made that you're proud of, I would not like it if someone started making this thread their food blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I really debated about getting a job with the USPS, but having a job with hard set hours would be such a hardship with a kid that I just tossed that idea out of my mind. Maybe once my kid hits high school I could consider doing something like that.

I would try and talk to a local union steward before gambling on this, but you can use sick leave for caring for dependents and after the initial 90 day probation it's impossible to get fired short of direct insubordination or commiting a felony.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Does the entire house vote, or just the majority party? Like, I know it would never happen, but if the Democrats unified and then pulled 5 Republicans could they make their own guy speaker?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I like the insane idea of making Trump Speaker, because he would loving hate it. Like, you need to be a real policy wonk to want to be Speaker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aren't Boebert and MTG currently feuding because Boebert won't fully cop to "yes, that was an insurrection and if I'd been in charge Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence would have their heads on stakes outside the capitol building right now" like MTG.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is up there with that list of what animals a percentage of men think they could beat in a fight.
https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1610021865753280512?t=E-sjnBsPKOMZkmDDX4vSjg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I mean, if you had to do it, I guess it's better to believe that you could instead of not? :shrug:

They've done tests with flight simulators and amateur pilots, people who can already fly a Cessna, they all die. One guy accidentally turned off the radio 5 minutes in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Hey, awesome, congratulations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Older, but for the last 8 months or so my 3 year old will wake up between 11pm-1am and go to sleep in our bed every single night. We cannot get him to stay in his bed no matter what we do. Obviously just some latent evolutionary thing where you deny any chances at having a younger sibling to take any attention away from them.

When I was little my mom would turn down the thermostat in my room so it'd be too cold to get out from under the covers so I wouldn't get into their bed at night.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What are the consequences if someone doesn't or can't pay the child support? Seems like another way to criminalize the poor. Like identical cases but one guy is rich and one is poor. Already the rich guy is gonna be in jail for a shorter amount of time because he can afford an attorney and isn't using an overworked public defender, after they get out, he can afford the child support, the poor guy probably can't. Getting a job that pays enough for food and rent is hard enough right out of prison, now there's child support payments...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

So the solution here is to punish them... less?

The solution is to not punish with fines. Anything punished with a crime is just saying "it's legal if you're rich"

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120476/jeff-bezos-washington-dc-renovate-apartment-home-parking-tickets

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Okay then we add it as a modifier then? Killing a single parent/sole provider? So the poor folks simply go to prison longer?

I'm just saying that the law does nothing to prevent drunk driving, likely does very little for the victim's survivors since the vast majority of people will be unable to pay, and worsens society in general by just further criminalizing poverty. Like, gently caress drunk drivers, I'm not going to cry for them or anything, but I don't like unequal punishment for equal crimes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

Is it unconscionably lazy to buy a gadget specifically to separate egg yolks

cause I'm thinking of it

I'm trying to figure out what device exists that makes this easier, it's not hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

seiferguy posted:

The law does get unevenly applied so I don't think it's necessarily bad that people are thinking about this. For example, early last year, the county I lived in repealed wearing a helmet on a bike (which is a noble idea and in theory should save lives), because cops only went after minority people who weren't wearing them. The analysis showed the discriminatory costs were hurting them more than the push to have them wear helmets.

Yeah, everyone should wear a helmet when riding a bike. But I've gone helmetless in places with a helmet law, in front of cops, and never been hassled. I have seen cops use that excuse to hassle black teenagers more than once.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

So funny story. The 4 power substations that were shot up in Washington state on Christmas?

Two guys did it, so they could rob a place.

... they had their cellphones on them at all 5 spots.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/two-charged-attacks-four-pierce-county-power-substations

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/VICENews/status/1611045920799350784

:nyoron:

Video on the link if you want to see some hot totties.

quote:

Another worker said that the suspects dropped their phones as they fled the fire and they are now in the hands of authorities.

Noticing a theme.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Think of it not as an annoying burden but an opportunity. Being able to provide a cover letter is great because it lets you put things that don't fit in the rest of a form-letter or formal resume. You can say something short and sweet that helps you stand out. "I know some guys who drive for your company, you've come highly recommended and I'm excited to join the family" (only if that is true, of course) for example.

That's general resume advice though, I heard they're desperate for truckers these days so maybe there's no question that you'll get that callback regardless?

Yeah, everyone is desperate for truckers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You cast Awkwafina in a movie because you want Awkwafina, there's a lot of actors like that, they do one thing and they do one thing well, they don't disappear into the role. It's like complaining about Arnold Schwarzenegger acting the same in every movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know I said it was impossible for the Dems to actually get their guy as Speaker of the House, but now, I still don't think it's likely, but it doesn't seem that impossible.

https://twitter.com/zdroberts/status/1611087345499148288?s=20&t=cJ84Z99XSSabrjBll5QKqQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

The only way it happens is if some of the moderate Rs try to punish the fringers and just vote Jeffries in, but then they're dead meat in 2024 so no way

I thought someone said they could change the rules to make it a plurality, which I could see happening as a threat against the hold outs "Vote for McCarthy or it will be a loving democRAT" and the hold outs still holding out.

Again, not likely, but no longer impossible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sort of. My understanding is they need a majority of all the voters in that round. If a bunch of people missed the vote, then that number goes down. There’s rumors that some R’s are going to put due to medical appointments, and a death in the family. If enough leave, the Dems could win.

If that's true Jeffries is literally one vote away from winning. I added up the votes in the screenshot I posted and it's 423, which would make 212 a majority.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If he wins, is that it for 2 years, or can they just like decide to hold another vote next week and replace him

I think that's it for two years. Isn't the speaker who decides what the house actually votes on? That's why it's important, if the Speaker doesn't declare a vote it doesn't matter how many members of congress support it, it doesn't get a vote?

gently caress I wish I'd paid more attention to my 5th grade civics class.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Crap. I agree with Matt Gaetz.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

My friend from elementary school and I both loving hate ET. One of his sisters won a stuffed ET and would hide it in his room when we were in high school.

You were terrified of an ET doll while in high school? Like, 14 year old you freaked out seeing an ET doll?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cavauro posted:

thinking about buying a gun

I know there are a lot of responsible gun owners in this thread, but I think the most important question is "how often do you get depressed?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I didn't realise they were going through all of this for the fredo of the sinaloa cartel. Although, in a roundabout way being the biggest gently caress up in a narco family kinda makes you the best of a bad bunch no?

Not really, does anyone pick Fredo as their favorite character from The Godfather? Or even feel that bad when he gets got?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yup McCarthy has won, the last few holdouts voted "present" which drops the threshold so he won 216-212. Apparently he had to make "concessions" just to get that far, whatever that actually means.

The holdouts were asking for the ability to declare a no confidence vote with a single congress person wanting it, so that could be a lot of fun over the next two years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

To be fair who amongst us hasn't wanted to punch out Matt Gaetz, for wrong and right reasons?

I seriously wonder about the morals of someone that wants to punch out Matt Gaetz for the wrong reasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1611521943152238592?t=W_VcFAac9MR3SLaIi5hy9w&s=19

Because there were a lot more girls than boys into acting at my schools, pretty much every single school play I ever saw had a girl in a prominent male role.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

These people are going to have a big problem with Shakespeare's career.

Not to mention the vast majority of productions of Peter Pan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's also just, kids like flamboyant people dressed funny, they find it entertaining.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TIL Super Burrito has the same birthday as me (and Nixon, but don't hold it against us).

Happy Birthday SB

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Today is busy it seems, as it's also my grandmother's 96th birthday and my cousin's daughter's 4th.

It's also my Aunt's birthday.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrownThunder posted:

real people or a handful on twitter

I think he should be extradited to Brazil if the government there intends to charge him with a crime, but they haven't yet so him being in Florida is just funny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I literally forgot they existed until now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cops legally don't have any duty to protect anyone other than people they've already arrested.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

That is haram

I think pretty much everything with bacon is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

There's a five-way stop sign intersection in a Beverly Hills neighborhood and it's the most perfect example of the particular type of aloof, entitled LA assholes that exist. I had to go through it for work for years and it's like impossible for these people to take turns. All five lanes try to go out of turn at the same time like every single time. It's amazing.

That's just a massive failure of traffic design. The idea that people would be able to navigate a five way stop is delusional. Every single 5 way intersection I've ever seen uses traffic lights.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's god tier question avoidance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fun fact: Twitter was originally invented so Jack and his friends could tell each other where they were at Coachella. (or SXSW, one of those)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I was asking why people thought Boba Fett was cool 25 years ago and I'm glad that time has finally proven me correct.

He looks cool.