Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna try dry January again this year. I've been a goblin since Thanksgiving and the way I feel matches that. Just sluggish and fat and gross feeling.

I say that last year but it was more like Dry Ja because I only lasted a week or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Damp January

Dampuary

That's better than mine

Also lol how are you feeling this morning

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I did dry January last year. This year one of our friends is working on becoming a personal trainer, so we are attempting some challenge with her where drinking just deducts points. Since I'm competitive and working against a couple other insanely competitive people, I'd imagine it'll be dry until Valentine's Day.

Ooh that sounds interesting because I want to get back on my workout schedule too. Is that something you can share? Understood if not because it's a work thing for her that she'll get paid for.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

That was the worst goddamn night of my life

I can't even imagine

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love it, thanks for sharing. Gonna see if I can get my friends to do it too. We may change the numbers around a little bit though

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have a problem with drinking except feeling like poo poo for a day or two afterwards. I’m a happy drunk and don’t do dumb poo poo. It’s just in the days afterwards I just feel like garbage and i consistently feel heavy and sluggish if I’m also drinking consistently.

Sports might be a trigger for me because during the week if nothings going on I won’t drink or if I do it’s a single glass of wine. But when I’m watching sports I drink like a frat boy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee apparently has a new law that if you drive drunk and you kill the parent of a child, you now owe child support to the child.

On the one hand, I like it because gently caress drunk drivers they deserve everything they get. But on the other it’s Tennessee so I’m assuming this is going to be used to go after minorities somehow.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

quick googling shows homicide in Tennessee is already punishable by 8-30 years in prison. So does the driver's family pick up the tab?

The article I read on it didn’t offer much into details except this

quote:

The bill gives the convicted one year to begin payments if they are unable to do so due to incarceration, and the payments would be required to continue until the child is 18 years old.

It’s a bill that apparently unanimously passed back in April but didn’t go into effect until Jan 1.

e: here’s a better article with more details, still reading through but it doesn’t offer much more in depth

https://www.dsslaw.com/blog/drunk-drivers-pay-child-support/

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 4, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really hate drunk drivers for personal reasons so gently caress ‘em.

I do realize others may think this isn’t a good thing.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Topo Chico is the best of the seltzer waters and now they have their own boozy one too which is great. They have regular flavored ones, margarita flavored ones and Ranch Water flavor

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my group there's three managers, 12 direct reports, not including contractors. One of the managers is moving to a different group, leaving 5 DRs with no manager. My manager just talked to me about potentially taking over her group and absorbing them into mine. They're also in Dallas, which would mean having to travel there at least once a month for a few days. That means I'd have 7 direct reports, or 12 if you count contractors.

I'm fine with all of this and would welcome the travel and more responsibility except

what do you think they're gonna say when I ask for more money lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the ~*~culture~*~

Glad you nor your co workers got got

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol harlot

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just saw a preview for that Megan movie and that thing can gently caress all the way off

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Member the other day when I was saying my company was looking at me to take over a bigger role, more responsibilities etc?

Lol I got laid off instead. 20% of employees

e: Aw man and I lost my avatar I loved that avatar

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

Really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll land on your feet!

The comedic timing of that avatar is incredible though.

Honestly more upset about the avatar than the job hahah

C-Euro posted:

The gently caress, weren't they trying to ship you to Europe like six months ago?

They were probably a lousy company to work for anyway, though I doubt that's much comfort to you in the moment.

Yeah this place is a shitshow

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

decent package? sounds like you might be dodging a bullet tbh

12 weeks severance, paid in a lump sum which sucks but eh, 6 months medical, my RSUs entirely vest which is probably the biggest part. I think the company is about to go public and that could turn into big money.

Silly Burrito posted:

You know the rules of the league Lenny

But sorry about the job, that sucks

how long do I have to keep it?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks y’all, already have some options lined up. The way I see it is if I can find another job quick I’ll be making 2x so…silver linings I guess

Definitely not gonna make it through Dry January tho

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Dude really took that old argument about how many days there are in a week and went full throttle with it, I respect that.

The Dumbest Boy Alive is still one of my favorite Jon Bois bits

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I have never done this and I will now do this. Maybe tomorrow. gently caress this sounds amazing. What else is good to add to the dog? Sriracha? Or like a sriracha mayo sauce blend? Crushed fried wonton chips?

I have had kimchi fries but I was so loving stuffed from the tonkotsu that I just picked at them. They were delicious though.

Ketchup

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My new pet peeve is people reaching out on LinkedIn, knowing I’m looking for a job, asking to see my resume.

Like….isn’t that what LinkedIn is for? It’s all right there my guy. Sure I’ll send you this pdf that says exactly what my LinkedIn says, go nuts.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not sure if recruiters are just shooting their shot and hoping they get lucky or if they really are as slow as they come across in every Linkedin contact. What do you mean you don't want to take a temporary contract position 6 titles lower than your current position with 30% of the pay and no benefits, don't you at least want to discuss it?

Yeah this is why I haven’t posted on LinkedIn about me being laid off. Someone I work with posted about it and got over 200 messages on LinkedIn in a matter of a few hours. There’s no way all of that is legit.

I’ve had a ton of recruiters that are recruiting for their companies and a ton of recruiting agencies reaching out just because it’s news in the industry that my company did layoffs. I’m 100% giving my time first to the recruiters that actually work for the company they recruit for before anyone else.

I’ve also worked in the industry long enough that I have a ton of contacts. I’ve already been offered two jobs that I’ve turned down because they weren’t what I wanted/money wasn’t where I wanted it. There’s no shortage of people hiring.

As I say that I just saw Amazon laid off 18,000 people

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had someone reach out to me once because we didn’t match on Bumble so she found me on LinkedIn. That was weird.

No I did not take the job she was offering :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

The fact it started on Bumble makes me think she was offering :lolplant:.

That’s the joke, yes

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuckin lol I love Bark box

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

What if your dog IS a sustenance loaf?

My ex had a corgi and he was a loaf but he wasn’t grown in my anus

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently 5 cops in Memphis literally beat a man to death and they’ve already been fired. You know it’s bad when no video has been released yet and the cops got fired instead of put on administrative leave.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigations and the DOJ are also involved

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 21, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great, thanks all!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bills fans are weird but I gotta respect it

https://i.imgur.com/zR42ods.mp4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol fukkin nerds

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

If your toilets were leaking your regular water bill would be high not your waste bill. A leaking toilet will constantly be refilling. My local utility will contact you if your water seems to be running nonstop because your toilet is leaking, a faucet has been running for days, or a pipe broke somewhere.

Why would your local utility contact him

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lmao wtf that took me a minute

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Robert Pattinson Batman movie loving ruled and I’d love to see more in that universe. Idk if it’s part of the DCU or if Batfleck is coming back but the grittiness of The Batman was perfect for the character. The casting was awesome too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

it was campy as hell I dunno about gritty

I didn’t think it was campy and it reminded me of Se7en and that was gritty what can I say I’m a simple man

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

I swear by Peak Design. I have both a larger Everyday Backpack and a smaller Everyday Zip. I am usually carrying camera gear so I like the modular inserts that let me change how I use the interior space.

If that’s too technical looking/you don’t like the modular interior, Bellroy makes some good stuff too.

Seconding Peak. I have two of their bags

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kemp preemptively issued a state of emergency for Atlanta/state of GA this morning in light of that tape of the cops beating a man to death in Memphis.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

I can't tell if it's *that* much worse than the killings we've seen so far or if this is posturing to pre-emptively paint protestors in a worse light or pre-justify state violence against any protestors.

The SOA issued for Atlanta feels like this. Someone is 100% gonna get shot by a cop this weekend. I’m also guessing most of the “response” will be held around the Buckhead area where the more affluent stores are because of looters.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah that’s probably right on both counts. I just saw a general “hey there’s a state of emergency, stay safe” thing go out, without the added context of cop city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s four different videos, there from the cop cameras and then one from a pole that’s down the street.

I’ll spoiler the description.

The three videos from the cop cameras are the cops showing up after the other two are already there and beating on Tyre. The other three join in. One keeps yelling at him to give him his hands to cuff him but Tyre is so out of it he’s not really complying so they beat on him some more. One of the cops has mace and tells the other cops to get back and absolutely douses Tyre with mace. But then also sprays himself and the other cops, which just pisses him off and he takes out a baton and starts hitting Tyre in the head. This goes on for a while and they get cuffs on him and sit him up against a car but he’s clearly unconscious or near it because he keeps falling over and they just prop him back up. Eventually an EMT starts looking at him but didn’t seem to be doing much.

After that there’s not much else that I could see.