Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Does the 40 hour work week work for two working parents? It feels like every weekend is spent cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I think our problem is more tidying up than actual in-depth cleaning. I feel like it would be beneficial to have someone in to do dishes and just put away kid toys etc. We were going to have people come over for NYE so I spent hours cleaning on Friday, which the kids just undid in about 15 minutes. I would be almost embarrassed to have a maid come in when every square inch of the floor is covered with toys or whatever crap the kids got for Christmas.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You just stop playing video games, reading, and watching tv shows, movies, and random junk on youtube, it is easy.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

Most of the time that 45 mins to 1 hour I am too fried to play any games and just drink a protein shake and watch my 55 gal community planted tank while zoning out on my phone.

This is kind of where I end up, not enough time or focus to get involved in a game/movie, so I just browse the internet for a bit and mentally tune out. Eagerly waiting for the kids to lock themselves in their bedroom playing video games all day. Really the only games I can play are the ones with no real story, you are playing immediately when you turn it on, and you can walk away and nothing happens. Slay the Spire and other roguelike type games etc.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Had last week off while my wife worked to watch the kids (had a company shutdown anyway, did not need to use PTO). Now my wife took this week off to watch the kids since they do not go back to school until the 10th. I always forget how long it takes to get ready in the morning without kids. I can wake up 30 minutes later, putter around on the computer for an hour, and still get to work at the same time.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Older, but for the last 8 months or so my 3 year old will wake up between 11pm-1am and go to sleep in our bed every single night. We cannot get him to stay in his bed no matter what we do. Obviously just some latent evolutionary thing where you deny any chances at having a younger sibling to take any attention away from them.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 4, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Abugadu posted:

We made bad choices in 2004.

Not an empty quote. I don't even remember what screennames I was trying to get but I recalled the first ... bunch I chose were all taken. Finally just grabbed an album that was on my desk that is not even that great and now I seem emo or whatever.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
The instapot can easily do squashes/pumpkins whole, so you don't need to do the hard parts of cleaning it while it is raw. The Afghan Kadu (though I think it might just mean pumpkin) dishes are fairly easy to make, just toss a pumpkin in and cook it. Skinning and removing the seeds is super easy when it is cooked, then cover the chunks of it with a yogurt sauce and optional ground beef/lamb.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Watching the new Beavis and Butthead with a free trial of Paramount+, and it sure is more Beavis and Butthead.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Having a 3 day weekend is nice, was able to spend Saturday and Sunday cleaning, and still a day to bask in a clean house.

In sort of a catch-22 situation with my 14 year old dog, where she should probably get to the vet at some point since her health is slowly declining, but she has enough pep where you cannot comfortably commit to getting her euthanized. She had bloodwork as a prerequisite for a teeth cleaning, and they said she was not healthy enough to get anesthesia due to liver issues, with a thought that she might have liver cancer and they wanted to give her an MRI and do a bunch more bloodwork to confirm that diagnosis. We declined, because even if she had cancer we were not going to put a 14 year old dog through chemo/surgery. It feels like she is too healthy to put down, but not healthy enough to try and fix anything. I am assuming whenever the next vet appointment is will be the last one, but it feels so ... discretionary, like we get to choose when we get rid of her.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Samadhi posted:

Welcome to National Butter Burger day (I just made this up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNDJrihWknI

My reflexive mental balking at that amount of butter is why whenever I make Indian food it never tastes as good as a restaurant. I know adding a stick of butter per serving of curry will make it taste great, but when I see it in-front of me my brain screams that it is way too much.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

My new pet peeve is people reaching out on LinkedIn, knowing I’m looking for a job, asking to see my resume.

Like….isn’t that what LinkedIn is for? It’s all right there my guy. Sure I’ll send you this pdf that says exactly what my LinkedIn says, go nuts.

I am not sure if recruiters are just shooting their shot and hoping they get lucky or if they really are as slow as they come across in every Linkedin contact. What do you mean you don't want to take a temporary contract position 6 titles lower than your current position with 30% of the pay and no benefits, don't you at least want to discuss it?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

dirty shrimp money posted:

Those guys are just resume farmers. They're not actually recruiting, all they want is personal data they can aggregate and sell to marketers and/or turn over to the CCP. I tell my users to block them on sight.

I am not sure about that, they tend to be at known contract recruiting agencies and such and have actual positions, but they are obviously just shotgunning out stuff to any resume with any slight overlap to the position. It could be true as well if they are faking their info or making side money selling your stuff, but I am pretty sure if I responded they would have an actual role.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 18, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Every single person who got sick in late 2019 thinks they were some sort of Covid patient zero, which is then often followed up with "I don't need to get vaccinated, I already had it", at least from my experience. If it was actually prevalent it would have spread rapidly around the US then, and not in March.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 20, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I pretty much only play Roguelikes at this point, just because you can be playing in 5 seconds and walk away whenever. StS has insane replayability, I have like 700 hours in it. My only pet peeve (that StS does not have) are the ones where you are sleep walking through hours of gameplay because it is so easy, and then you just explode.

Also, just cashed my middle class tax refund from the state of CA, thanks for the free money.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Look, it was boiled 12 minutes like Grandma's recipe says.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
No one will ever tire of Guitar Hero, lets make new ones every 3 months with competing brands doing the same.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I think I mentioned it at some point, but I was the only one who got the flu shot in my family and I was the only one who did not get the flu in December when everyone else did. My 6 year old bounced off of it pretty easily/quickly, but my wife and 3 year old had pretty high fevers for around a week.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Just made a quick run to the pharmacy before the games start, and I don't understand how every single person in front of me in line constantly takes 10 minutes up at the window, yet when it is my turn it takes 30 seconds. Do these people forget their address or something?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
$3mil house in Boston and Hawaii, 4mil to live off of, move between them every 18.5 years. If you want to stay in the Continental US, could easily do SF to Boston every 10 years.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
87 acres is kind of nuts, I classify anything over 8k sqft as pretty big.

I did not like Mandalorian very much and did not even bother to watch the Obi Wan or Boba Fett series, and I was a huge star wars fan. If you talked to me 20 years ago I would have been very surprised that I did not watch every Star Wars thing the second it came out.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Not drinking is nice

Dating apps are starting to have a “sober curious” option. It sounds silly but I kind of like it because it communicates “I will have a drink if it’s a special occasion or whatever but generally I’d like to not”

Seems millennials are trending towards killing the alcohol industry! When will their reign of terror end??

I would assume sober curious would be the opposite of that, where you are sober the minority of the time, it should be drinking curious. Also, that describes me pretty much, I have 0 alcohol at home and only have a drink a few times a year at social events. Alcohol tastes pretty bad. I won a bottle of Dom Perignon and I might just waste it at a friends bad movie night or something since I will never drink it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Apparently something died in our attic (where our furnace is), and every room with a vent is getting flooded with flies. My bathroom went from 0 flies this morning to about 30.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My mind is blown that gas stoves are not common.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Do you guys have natural gas lines that pipe right into homes? My friend has 3 points out door got a BBQ, outdoor for a water heater and their stove.

The other way we have it is gas bottles that are like the a foot wide and a metre tall that a company comes and changes.

Yea, it is just gas lines going right into the home. We have a gas dryer, water heater, furnace, and stove. Almost caused a disaster when I told my wife of course we had a gas dryer when we were buying a new one and then it turned out our old one was electric. Luckily there was also a gas hookup there with a valve I needed to turn in the garage to open it or I would have died.

Freaquency posted:

Outside of the restaurant I worked at in college, I didn’t have regular access to a gas stove until I was 30 and moved out west. It’s apparently highly regional.

Yea, I guess I just did not realize it was regional, never living out of the region.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Wheee
https://abc7news.com/pge-fine-pacific-gas-and-electric-san-bruno-fire-explosion/1722674/

This was back when we were all mad at PG&E for merely killing a handful of people and only destroying a dozen or so houses. After the Paradise fire some folks have forgotten these relatively small potatoes.

But yeah my home state is riddled with aging poorly maintained high pressure natural gas lines right under our homes, and yes we do have loads of massive earthquakes, I'm sure these aren't a problem though.

I lived a mile away from there when it happened. I recall all sorts of weird community support from all of the shops and restaurants, like a dentist giving free cleanings to people impacted. It is a nice gesture, but not sure it replaces your blown up house.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Kalli posted:

I hate smart appliances because it's just more poo poo that breaks in a couple of years.

We got touchless faucets at garbage cans at work due to covid, and it is definitely annoying when something fails because it is out of batteries when it never needed batteries in the first place. "Whoops, cannot wash my hands because the sink is out of batteries".

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Wasn't there something a while back about how copper is antibiotic and if we just made our hospitals clad in copper instead of stainless steel everywhere, there'd be a lot fewer infections and a lot less need to try to sterilize everything?

Also this reminds me of how when I was growing up (in California), due to the droughts, my mom would put a brick in the toilet cistern and put two gallon jugs of water int he bathtub so a bath would use less water and do all these things to cut our water usage by a few gallons a month. And then I read about how much of our freshwater is wasted on loving alfalfa, pistachios, and almonds. Like a gallon of water per individual almond, most of which get exported as cash crops.

Like all of that effort my mom went through was totally futile. Completely pointless. I still try to be frugal with water, I let my "lawn" die every year throughout the summer, but I don't worry about taking a longer shower or washing my car sometimes. Our society is penny-wise, pound-foolish in countless ways.

My sister used to not buy paper towels because she read that was wasteful, she'd have dish cloths and rags for everything which is OK but sometimes you need a paper towel, you know? Then at costco when a five gallon pail of soy sauce spills on the floor they just grab eight rolls of paper towel, rip off the plastic, and throw the entire rolls on the floor. Like there's six months of my sister's careful frugality straight in the bin because it's a tiny bit more convenient than finding a mop and bucket.

This is why even though as individuals we can and should be conscious of our impact, like carbon footprint, making responsible choices, all that poo poo... nothing can really get fixed without government. We live in a system of perverse incentives. It takes massive action at the level of regulation of corporations and huge government programs that force systemic change to actually make an impact. Use rechargeable batteries anyway, it'll save you a bit of money, but there's no need to beat yourself up about using a plastic bag when it could have maybe been a cloth bag or the fact you use disposable diapers for your baby.

All the alfalfa and nut growing is just a way to indirectly sell the water internationally. Now Saudi Arabia does not need to waste their limited fresh water on alfalfa and it is pure profit for the farmers selling due to the stupid water rights. I am in a similar place when it comes to penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to waste. A few years back during the large drought I cut back water to the point where a productive apricot tree died, and for what? My 5000 sqft yard is completely meaningless when it comes to water waste or anything else, I could run the sprinklers 24 hours a day and it would be a rounding error compared to agricultural or industrial use, or just people with massive estates in Atherton or whatever. Even knowing it is meaningless, I still try to conserve water as much as possible and generate as little waste as possible, just because it is all I can do. Kind of like voting, I have no illusion my vote will lead to anything important happening or decide the outcome of any election, but it is the best I can do so I might as well do it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Timby posted:

Yeah, absolute fundamentalist whackos.

Someone called me out a few weeks ago for saying that, and, well, here we are, they showed their whole rear end.

I don't get how their advertising campaign is supposed to work then. It looks like they are trying to sell it to more liberal viewers, you would think at some point they would need to unveil their true attitudes at which point anyone who bought into these ads would just leave.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I had Short Circuit and Batteries Not Included on the same recorded off tv VHS :smug:. Also, my 4 year old really liked the Real Ghostbusters since now Prime has it, which is fairly tolerable to have on in the background. I remember being scared of The Grundel episode when I was a kid.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Seems like it would be more humane to kill it first.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I've never herd of Ruth Chris before and I watched the video until it mentioned hat they can pay tipped workers less than minimum wage and realized I've only worked in Washington and California, where, no you still have to pay minimum wage to tipped employees, and that's probably why I've never heard of Ruth Chris.

The only time I ate at a Ruth's Chris was in SF in the late 90s or so, so they definitely exist in CA. I remember it being decent :shrug:, that is my story.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 17, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePopTingz/status/1627305424348233730?t=cJ24FhGThIp4zKqNgFI68g&s=19

"Eating like poo poo, not exercising and exposure to pollution gives you a bigger hog" is how humanity dies

Ha, jokes on you, I am older than 30.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 21, 2023

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Jury duty but for modding.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
This upscaleish Mexican place a few blocks from me had some really good hot sauce but I cannot remember what brand it was and the restaurant closed during Covid. It was Seafood hot sauce (I assume for and not made of) and it was not very vinegary. I am super picky about hot sauce because vinegar is gross.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Always weird to watch an 80's kid movie and they are throwing around gay slurs to show casual banter between a bunch of 10 year olds. It is probably not historically incorrect, but it feels weird to hear a hard F slur 20 times in a PG movie made for 9 year olds.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I am not sure if it is good or not, but I recall seeing Arena a bunch on tv. I cannot remember the plot, but for some reason some guy needs to box a bunch of aliens like some sort of intergalactic punch-out.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Purity politics are fine as long as you recognize the reality that if you aren’t a farmer making your own clothes and dying at 50, handplowing your own fields, you’re giving money to bad people.

Purity politics also does not work well in reality because most people are not terminally online and keeping track of 1000 things to be aggrieved about. A bunch of coworkers were excited for the Harry Potter game and Diablo IV, no one has any knowledge about work culture or twitter politics.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

The lack of purity politics, particularly on the left, has led to significant and steady ratcheting to the right.

There are certainly other factors, but I’m watching pure strain fascists put a gun to the heads of the GOP and march them rightward, while centrist dems blame the left and screech about bipartisanship.

Purity politics do work if you’ve got the spine to stick to them.

E: also I’m not going to wade too hard into politics here, needless to say capitalism is loving us all and should be abolished but welp

I was not really referring to the pros or cons of purity politics, just that the type of discourse and argument that seems to only exist among people who are online for 18 hours a day would completely bounce off your average person who is not, even if they are largely in agreement about the broader topics at hand.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Corwin of Amber.

Top gun was hard, I feel like I rarely got to the 3rd stage or so. I like how all of these seemingly impossible games that 10 year old me and friends spent hours and hours bashing our heads against the wall with are all now beaten on youtube in like 20 minutes. Streetfighter 2010, Back to the Future (I think I missed the part in the movie where you throw bowling balls at bees), Top Gun etc.

I have beat BattleToads :smug:

kiimo posted:

I can land this plane with my eyes closed. Refueling was harder.

I also maintain that Tiger Heli and Spy Hunter are two of the hardest games to beat of all time

I did not think Spy Hunter was beatable, I was under the impression it was high score based and the game went on forever.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 5, 2023