Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Extremely good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I missed the whole QCS era. I find it hilarious that after Helldump got shut down, a "ask us about the forums!" forum opened and then became a synonym for toxic circlejerking

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BrownThunder posted:

Was the NASCAR thread after a noose was found in a drivers garage. Knee slapper

No. It was making fun of Kyle Larson, who literally n-bombed his way into a promotion. The noose came later.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

pmchem posted:

Some Nordic countries make fines like speeding tickets proportional to income or net worth

Ahhh Teemu Selanne’s 39,000 euro speeding ticket

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

In my group there's three managers, 12 direct reports, not including contractors. One of the managers is moving to a different group, leaving 5 DRs with no manager. My manager just talked to me about potentially taking over her group and absorbing them into mine. They're also in Dallas, which would mean having to travel there at least once a month for a few days. That means I'd have 7 direct reports, or 12 if you count contractors.

I'm fine with all of this and would welcome the travel and more responsibility except

what do you think they're gonna say when I ask for more money lol

We’re paying you with experience

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

any specific use in mind?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Intruder posted:

if you don't have a gun the king of england can come in your place any time and start pushing you around

This is true. Ask a French Acadian Cajun

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I loving give up on this species.

https://larrybrownsports.com/mma/tbs-decision-dana-whites-slap-league-show/609732?amp

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

T-Square posted:

Jesus CHRIST my 48 year old coworker announced to the whole team in a meeting that he’s going on leave to have open heart surgery and getting FIVE bypasses

I’m surprised he’s delaying surgery that long.

They stopped my dad in the middle of a stress test to wheel him into a triple bypass. He said he didn’t really worry until he noticed that the nurses pushing his bed were sprinting

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

i hate working from home (while also recognizing how enormously privileged I was to be able to) and by the end of 2020 I was usually a few bourbons in by lunchtime.

One day I overdid it and had to put in for leave to sleep it off, and I figured that was enough of that poo poo and went back to off the clock drinking.

Since I returned to the office, my evenings I barely notice the liquor shelf there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

a neat cape posted:

I got an instant pot for Christmas.

Give me some weeknight instant pot things I can do because I really need to stop going out to eat

Frozen meat (chicken breasts or thighs, or pork loin, or whatever)

Liquid (teriyaki or barbecue or marinade or whatever)

Hit button.

Don’t overthink it. The beauty of the Instant Pot is the simplicity.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Samadhi posted:

You may want to be a little more specific w/r/t what button/setting and times or he'll end up with rare chicken

The button literally says "POULTRY".

Timby posted:

Yeah, bear in mind you need at minimum a cup of cooking liquid (as the Instant Pot creates pressure via steam), or else the food will burn.

Worth mentioning. Add stock or just water to make up any difference.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

The All-Clad was for Valentine's Day.

I have to admit I was very surprised to get a Christmas tree for my birthday in July when my birthday is September. Pardon me, I'm sure.

Smart guy. I whiffed on my wife's birthday in August; came down to the wire and had nothing so I made reservations at the cooking school she had always wanted to try. Didn't cost me a dime (then), she loved it.

Then I had to squeeze a New Orleans eating + shopping trip into a Christmas budget. Whole lotta family got poo poo from Ollie's this year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Brak or SB, either of you up on krewe culture? Wondering what Endymion's rep is, considering they just made Mel Gibson grand marshal (and then rescinded it 16 hours later after discovering that yes, there are Jews in New Orleans)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

I have no idea. That’s not my scope of knowledge. But I’m also not surprised?

People here in Mobile talk about the different krewes and I can’t tell them apart either. And I’m not shocked either

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Won't post the deer itself in deference to people with different sensibilities, but nailed a 100 pound doe from 527 yards away. I enjoyed my father's disbelief, then surprise, then sheepishness over it very, very much. Nice to finally have meat aging in the cooler.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lol no poo poo?

Same old song

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I used to mix Blackberry Manishevitz or Carlo Rossi Sangria and whatever cheap vodka was around in my early 20s. It got you drunk but the hangovers were awful.

Manischewitz must have something put in it to make the angriest hangovers possible. It causes me nothing but pain.

Fun fact: Bain Capital owns the Manischewitz brand, which actually doesn't make the wine at all. The name is just licensed to E&J Gallo, who do.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Honestly more upset about the avatar than the job hahah

Yeah this place is a shitshow

I’m sorry for you but happy it happened because I kept my promise of holding mine a year and now I get to go back to Hailing Saban

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

These morons actually did kill their patient and I'm glad they were charged for it. loving idiots.

Also charge all the cops who kill people in their custody as well.

Unless there’s a lot more to the story than that article, 1st degree murder is a wayyyyyyyyy overcharge

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goddamnit. Just out of the blue now I have the line “The making GBS threads log system is based on mutual trust” stuck over and over in my head

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Welp hope nobody had money on getting those 100 years of Rick & Morty

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BURRRPPP LOOK AT ME MORTY I’M MILKSHAKE DUCK RICK, I’M A MILKSHAKE THAT’S ALSO A DUCK

AND I BEAT MY GIRLFRIEND MORTY, SHE’S JUST OFFSCREEN, IS SHE A MILKSHAKE OR IS SHE A DUCK

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

In Bruges got sold in ads and trailers as a normalish zany comedy and then I saw it and got....that, so pardon me if I'm leery of repeating the experience

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Chernobyl seems good but my appetite for depressing TV has rapidly dwindled. Last of Us seems borderline there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got my sewer line scoped today due to having several backups over a 3 month period. Apparently when this home was connected to a modern sewer system they just ... stuck the cast iron house pipe inside the terra cotta sewer pipe. No seal, no joining method. Just pipe in pipe with dirt to close the 4" to 8" diameter transition.

Over the years, the tree directly above this transition has lovingly sent crazy amounts of roots into this gap. And since its at a transition point it can't be cleared out by the typical sewer snake roto-blade thing. Guess I'm looking at a $5-digit dig up.

How comfortable are you shaving this bill down by doing the digging yourself?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wow, the new Velma is absolutely terrible

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I learned a fairly gross wildlife fact today that I'll spoiler for you:

Killed a 7 point buck, it was ok size at 140 lbs but had a very nice wide rack. I only have one set of horns mounted, so I decided to keep the skull for a European skull mount- basically, just the top of the skull and horns. This meant skinning it and taking off the lower jaw, which are steps you don't normally take when you're not keeping anything for a trophy. If you're just taking meat, you cut the head off and it goes in the gut pile.

So I took this bucks's lower jaw off, and inside its sinus cavity, it was riddled with live maggots.

My first thought was some kind of abcess in its teeth, but none existed. We still hung the meat in the walk-in cooler, but I was leery of keeping it. I did some googling and apparently, it's a fairly common thing that I have never ever seen before; botflies lay eggs in the deer's sinus cavities and they grow in their sinuses, sometimes even reproducing so much the deer suffocates.

Every source swears up and down it does not affect the meat at all.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It's Star Trek, not Wars, but Balance of Terror from TOS is a pretty good submarines in space episode.

Back half of Wrath of Khan is literally a sub movie.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Blowjob Overtime posted:

but my biggest gripe about this winter is it's TOO WARM

I took two weeks off to hunt, and it's 75 degrees here.

So this turned into a staycation.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I haven't played one minute of the videogame and I greatly enjoyed the first episode.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kalli posted:

It's really amazing how well that movie captured trying to talk to a liberal with power.

I'm shocked Mika Brzezinski didn't sue. They all but gave the character her name.

Silly Burrito posted:

You ever swing by here and I’ll hook you up with the best boudin balls and king cake in the area (assuming it’s king cake season).

I've been yammering about Cochon nonstop last month but goddamn those boudin balls were amazing.

Braksgirl posted:

I was pretty sad about the Dong Phuong king cake. I wanted it to be so good and it was aight. I still ate it but it wasn't nearly as delicious as I needed it to be.

I'm picking up five of them in early February. I'm trying to manage my expectations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly I'd be just fine with Rouses king cakes. If I supported treason.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

No fresh meat is downright evil :mad:

It's going to be enormously destructive to butcher shops too. Practically any butcher shop worth a poo poo has food packs of multiple different cuts of meat they offer at the different EBT benefit levels.

Braksgirl posted:

I refuse to step foot in a Rouses.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 21, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I respect Shannon Sharpe for being a contrarian poo poo take artist who, unlike the coward Skip Bayless, will deliver those takes on the road, outside the studio, and most importantly, without running from the athlete who is offended by them

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I’ve kind of hit a wall with what to read. I’m open to anything really

Fast Food Nation. Don't judge the excellent nonfiction book by the horrible fictional adaptation.

If it hasn't scared you enough, feel free to follow up with Command and Control, by the same author.

A more light-hearted read on an incredibly nerdy subject is The Box, which is a blow by blow of how the standardized TEU shipping container came to be.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

The death of the small truck in the US is really sad. It basically came down to pricing I think, the automakers could sell a midsized for $10k+ more and it cost like $2k more to build because some extra frame and bodywork and maybe a slightly larger diff was the only real cost. Plus the truck-buying public really seemed to prefer being sold on raaagh BIG TRUCK vs. practicality and convenience.

The S10 was replaced with the Colorado which started off bigger to meet impact standards and just bloated from there as consumer tastes did.

I loved my S10 too (first car ever), but they fold like origami in a crash. They were bad in a crash even by the standards of the time.

Oh god was that Iron Duke engine trash too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

https://twitter.com/RickandMorty/status/1618009508420386817

So I guess the allegations about Roiland must be pretty serious

A precedent has already been set for recasting.

Make the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTG_kewAG0&t=11s

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They've deftly avoided it so far in the MCU but at some point they're going to do what every comics company including (and especially) Marvel has done, which is write themselves into a corner with too many characters, too much power and threat inflation, and too much backstory that they'll have to do a continuity reset, which of course will be a giant crossover event complete with recastings.

After the 2nd or 3rd time I went through it as a comics fan, I realized caring about continuity is a fool's errand. They're stories. Enjoy them or don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

does tff:ct have suggestions for a decent work laptop backpack?

prefer simple over like a BILLION pockets

if it could double as a good day pack that'd be a bonus

Might be too big for your needs, but I got this for my niece and she loves it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V7VGYFV/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ARUQ351AG5FCY&th=1