Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Woke up this morning and had to go to the emergency vet. It’s over.

Oof. I’m really sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pain of Mind posted:

Does the 40 hour work week work for two working parents? It feels like every weekend is spent cleaning.

No it doesn’t.

My wife is 9-5 and I work a two week shift rotation with 12hr shifts, which means I have alternating 3 day weekends off/on.

The entire concept of 2 full time working parents with a child is crazy anyway, but the mental load she takes on doing all childcare on those weekends is monumental.

Thankfully we have grandparents close who can help with all the bullshit workdays that pop up seemingly randomly, or early out days for thunderstorms :psyduck:

She’s been WFH and has a lot of autonomy on scheduling so we are very very fortunate and it’s still a tremendous amount of work and planning.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

We've got some medical goons here, I'm reading that in a cardiac arrest situation you'd intubate in most any situation so "not breathing on his own" really is just consistent with administering CPR? E.g. it's not actually information about his condition other than what we already know - that he needed CPR?

Yeah, cardiac arrest typically requires some type of advanced airway to prevent aspiration of stomach contents and to properly ventilate a patient--whether it is a supraglottic airway or a endotracheal tube. It can also provide a real-time indicator of ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) if you're monitoring CO2 off the tube is well, which is a requirement of every service I know.

Freaquency posted:

This is what my SO is telling me, yeah. She also said that once they get him to the hospital he’ll go on a vent and be in a medically induced coma until at least tomorrow. We’re not going to know any more tonight it seems.

I'm most concerned that he was being actively resuscitated for 9-10 minutes. Commotio cordis causes VF typically and in a young healthy person I would hope it wouldn't be super refractory to defibrillation. My biggest concern would be how neuro intact he may be after a resuscitation of that length.

But yeah, if they got pulses back and had an advanced airway in place they would sedate him to keep him from pulling the tube and initiate active cooling as a neuro- and myocardial protective measure.

Unless of course he was my patient in which case he'd wake up immediately, snatch the tube out and barf a half gallon of seafood all over a hotel lobby while asking me WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED (true story)

Leperflesh posted:

It's possible, for sure; but my perspective is, that dude is 24, at the absolute peak of physical condition, and had immediate medical attention from EMTs, and is now at an excellent trauma center. It's the best-case scenario for a serious cardiac event short of already being in an ER. So I think we can be hopeful.

I also hope this is the case and his level of health makes him about the best candidate to survive it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Big Jesus posted:

All the working with kids chat just reminds me that I’ll have to start the job hunt up in a couple months once my wife goes back to work. Not looking forward to that! Here’s hoping I can find some well paying work from home management position that I dislike but gives us the flexibility we need for a few years!

I’m adding college—>career change to the Two Working Parents Of A Kindergartener mix starting next week and uhhhhh I’m feeling pretty nervous.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I quit drinking altogether a couple months back. Found myself drinking daily for no apparent reason and generally had a poor relationship with it. It's a bummer to recognize that you aren't in control of something but I'm quitting for good and we will see how rawdogging reality goes.

I also bought a graphing calculator for school this morning and I feel very much like a loving teenager suddenly. It's very bizarre.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Complete the experience by playing Drug Wars on it

I want to finish my bachelors this time

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dango Bango posted:

You're a beer drinker, right? Check out Athletic Brewing's line of NA beers. They absolutely scratch the beer itch for me. They were crucial for cravings when I first decided to stop drinking.

e: whoops I re-read your post after I quoted it and you've already been at it a few months. Leaving my post for any beer drinkers though.

Yeah I was a big craft beer dad, homebrewer etc.

I’m conflicted about NA beer because it sort of leans back into the habit and the calories without the alcohol, so I haven’t decided if I’m ok with that yet or if it will make cravings appear. I haven’t honestly had many cravings yet and I’ve been drinking Mineragua and Topo Chico like it’s going out of style.

Thanks for the recommendation though. That may be something I pull out for parties or something once I’ve gotten like a year in or so. We will see.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I remember reading something about Musk being an insatiable and voracious reader but I’m increasingly convinced he has only read my 8th grade honors English reading list

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ingawful.com%2F

gently caress, maybe 6th grade. Fahrenheit 451 is remedial as hell.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

shirts and skins posted:

Heya TFF! Hope you're having a great new year. I haven't been posting as much lately because I've been distracted by a few things, but I'm still around.

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I'm taking the "new year new you" thing seriously, and by that I mean that I came to terms with being trans. So, yeah! Same shirts, maybe some new cuts of fabric. She/her, and it's a pleasure to re-introduce myself.

Hey congrats! That’s a huge deal and extremely brave.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I know intentionally misunderstanding the Bible is a thing but I found this incredibly funny.

https://twitter.com/dahvnyc/status/...ingawful.com%2F

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

E nvm

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It feels a lot like vindictive posturing honestly, although I agree with the spirit of the law. I don’t think it does much practically for the victims.

Something for legislators to hang their hats on being tough on crime or whatever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I really hate drunk drivers for personal reasons so gently caress ‘em.

I do realize others may think this isn’t a good thing.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing or anything it just seems like an ineffective way to combat the problem, but one that is showy enough for a resume. Paper thin politics.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

What are the consequences if someone doesn't or can't pay the child support? Seems like another way to criminalize the poor.

The same thing that happens to all the other poor people who can’t pay. Serial felony charges, unable to make bail, perpetual unemployment, recidivism, rinse/repeat.

A good way to keep impoverished offenders in the prison slave trade.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

So the solution here is to punish them... less?

Is anyone here saying that? I mean why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

I'm just saying that the law does nothing to prevent drunk driving, likely does very little for the victim's survivors since the vast majority of people will be unable to pay, and worsens society in general by just further criminalizing poverty. Like, gently caress drunk drivers, I'm not going to cry for them or anything, but I don't like unequal punishment for equal crimes.

Instead they could be setting up state welfare funds for the well-being of surviv….hahahaha couldn’t even get that all the way out, this looks way better in re-election ads.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yes, they are. It was heavily inferred by their absolutely disgusting of the suggestion. I was asking what other suggestions might be. It’s ironic you take my statement and throw your own inference on there… then say this

Who said this? Someone on Twitter? Can’t tell what you’re replying to and can only assume this weird hyperbole is directed at some Twitter boogie man because it’s certainly nobody here.

:thejoke: That was explicitly why I said that.

Because the attitude toward a thoughtful discussion over whether some manner of criminal justice even logical, effective or humane is always “yeah sure let’s punish them less. :jerkbag:

Which is silly because if you just keep taking that punitive ratchet to its logical conclusion, it’s just the acid vat for every transgression.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Day five of dry January

:hf:

The 24 packs of Topo Chico at Costco have scratched the evening drinking itch for me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Basically you inferred something that was absolutely not there because you took that one post as a singular statement and reduced it to some other intent/flippant comment that nobody was making.

Sorry I get a little grouchy about criminal justice because so much focuses on revenge rather than actual solutions. Apologies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I just finished my national registry written testing for medic and I think I'm going to either throw up or break my F5 key waiting for the results. Probably both.

Yoooooo

Congrats. It’s no longer adaptive right? So you got a full 150 questions?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Still adaptive! I finished in 80 questions, so either I'm good or just really poo poo the bed.

Yeah you crushed it. Congrats!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

Love to quaff an ice cold Topo Chico

La Croix losers lovers vacate

e: also NBS is just trying to live up to his name by stopping up the exit

I actually like La Croix too but Topo Chico and mineragua are my seltzers of choice in my new life.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pron on VHS posted:

Pineapple flavored Spindrift also is great

I just drink so many neutral or bitter things that spindrift tastes like candy to me. It’s tooooo much.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Unlike McCarthy, I passed my test! Suck it NREMT

Congrats Paramedic Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg

Now time to get busy agonizing over the most minor patient care decisions while absolutely seething over your truck’s lovely suspension.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

Jesus CHRIST my 48 year old coworker announced to the whole team in a meeting that he’s going on leave to have open heart surgery and getting FIVE bypasses

You’re in Wisconsin right?

Revenge of the curds.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s weird how easily the daily habit can creep up. I was a social drinker for 20+ years and the isolation of Covid + mid- to late-30s dad interpersonal friendship fade just started turning up the loneliness and boredom. Before I knew it was knocking down 4-5 beers a night without even getting intoxicated, purely as habit.

Had a bit of clarity and decided it’s just not healthy anymore and I wasn’t in control of my relationship with ETOH anymore, so now I’m sober.

It’s insidious how many little tendrils it can finagle into your life. I wish I’d been in control because I do enjoy social drinking but it’s just not for me anymore. :shrug:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

This is almost all of my patients who struggle with alcohol; all of them are in control until they're not.

And covid just ratcheted EVERYTHING up.

I’m not proud of it and I’m trying to acquire comfort with it and speak as plainly as possible—as much for my benefit as anything.

I never missed work. I wasn’t getting blackout drunk. I was never violent or irresponsible. I was fully functioning and felt in control until I realized I was just on autopilot with it. Stepping back I realized I was shifting responsibilities around to make sure I was available to have a few. Or have a brewery day drinking opportunity.

And sitting a couple months out it’s wild how easily I would handwave those little adjustments in my life that weren’t wholly destructive, but just kind of there and making me less productive, engaged, ambitious, etc.

I haven’t even had cravings since. I just let it sit there and metastasize and my emotional well-being and stress management (or lack thereof) made it easy to ratchet northward on my consumption.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

And dude, I'm not blowing smoke or minimizing what you're going through, went through, or have accomplished.

But working with people with AUD for 5-7 days, and taking to them, and getting to know them and their stories and what they've lost....you're nowhere near that.

Oh I didn’t take it that way at all and I know I’m not anywhere near that state. I transport those guys all the time.

Just doing a little therapeutic word vomit and trying to add a little to the discussion.

Freaquency posted:

It’s wild how differently people react to the same stressors. When the first wave of COVID hit I pretty much gave up drinking entirely. I’ve always been more of a social drinker anyway, but the first night after I had 3 or 4 and woke up the next day to what was still basically hell on earth, I decided the Whisky Psychic Damage Multiplier wasn’t worth it.

I could see that.

My circumstances weren’t unique by any means but nothing changed for me professionally as an :jerkbag: essential worker :jerkbag: and if anything stress went through the roof, then daycare closed, wife went WFH and I lost all avenues of stress relief and/or disengagement other than like afternoon-evening-night porch beers.

Then as things eased up the habit was set, in addition to the social drinking that came back.

I’m sure I’ll miss it at some point but I clearly hadn’t developed any sort of physiological dependency (thank gently caress) and also the emotional load I was implicitly asking my family to carry wasn’t worth it.

Plus I’m officially starting my CAREER CHANGE education on Monday and I have no room for error here.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 6, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Definitely agree on wanting to have a clear head for back to school. Is it full four years of EE classes, or did you have some carryover to knock out some of the 101 prereqs? Any cool classes this semester?

Luckily all my social science and gen ed requirements transferred so no real nonsense.

Sadly nothing cool this semester. They accepted my calc I/II/III but I’m starting back at algebra to rebuild the base—especially since it’s been so long and I don’t have to take a bunch of general ed nonsense.

I start engineering courses in earnest probably in fall but there are some intro principles-based courses I can take alongside physics and chemistry refresh.

I’m looking forward to it. I took algebra in 7th grade so I’m hoping it’ll come screaming back once I get into it.

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, I don’t fault anyone for finding their own ways to cope and it’s going to be a long road back to normal (for the people that took it seriously or bore the brunt of the essential worker tag). I’m glad you seem to be happy with your progress so far!

Thanks! It took a lot of introspection and time to get to the point where I felt like the change had to happen but I’m happy to be taking the steps. A new adventure to be sure. If nothing else I’m trying to focus on being more active and present.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/UrOrientalist/status/1611717485828489221?s=20&t=a9acxUZ7Ru-b8hbLwSU58w

This can't be real right?

I know we joke that Musk is like "inventing" buses and subways like a solipsist, but this is so loving stupid it makes my head hurt. So much so that I feel like I must be missing something and getting turbo-whooshed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m surprised that if it’s a loop that you can’t program Autopilot to do that and still need a driver.

FSD is fine for ripping through low income children while you’re speeding through a disadvantaged neighborhood on your way to Orange Theory, but you can’t be murdering other Tesla dorks in the weird rave tunnel.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s wild how much time and energy these loving assholes spend trying to criminalize drag shows.

Like literally do anything else and shut the gently caress up. So tiresome.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

They don't care about the drag shows, they want it to be even harsher to be trans so more of them kill themselves

Oh I know but they’ve been going apeshit over drag story hours and shows for years now.

I think we all know their motivation.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Real life “not a jury in the world would convict.”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Woke up early to knock out like 8hrs of online coursework after shuffling the little one to school and everything is down :rubby:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Happy bday SB

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Bolsanaro would fit perfectly in The Villages.

Serial covid infections and fascism? gently caress yeah he would.

He'd be head of the HOA and bulldozing whatever trees are left for cattle grazing in six months.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Coke dealer told me straight up “I don’t cut my coke with poo poo so it’s not me.”

Like you’re so out of control your drug dealer is like “nah man.”

Glad to hear Mike Lindell is getting the help he needs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pickle juice is an incredible eraser for the worst trailing taste of cheap tequila, and thus it should be classified as a weapon of mass destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Corporations don’t give a gently caress. I’m glad the severance was decent.