Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Congrats Shirts! That's a monumental change and happy for you!

I get to interview for a full time position in the job I've been doing for the last 11 months tomorrow. Supposedly it's my turn for the open position so we will see. Also going for a nice pay bump from contract to full time. I have been nervous this whole holiday season as my contract runs out the 31st of this month so I was extra cautious with my money when it came to buying myself things this holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Happy birthday to fellow Saints goon Silly Burrito! Enjoy that the season is over and we don't have to watch bad football at least involving them till next season

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I love that Aaron Rupar's entire job seems to be tweeting out clips of right-wing news/speeches. Does he actually write anything?

Yeah he has his own slack/sub stack type deal where he and other writers will write on the big stuff he clips. The newest one is on MTG talking about secession that she pitched the other day.

Edit with actual link: https://aaronrupar.substack.com/

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

So my girlfriend just surprised me and told me she is taking me to Chicago for a weekend in celebration of my birthday. Going to a game at Wrigley has been a lifelong dream of mine since I was a kid so she made it happen. Our schedule is going to be fairly tight with the ballgame and going to the Art Institute. But I know there are a couple of residents here and also people who have been there plenty. So I was wanting to ask if there was any can't miss food places to try out? Also if something that should be seen if it doesn't take too long?

Thanks in advance!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Where are you staying? I’m assuming in the loop or river north. Assuming you are, take the L to Wrigley or the AI. Beats the hell out of paying a poo poo ton for a Lyft or something.

For food, is there any type/style you really like? There’s a thousand great places to eat, so wildling down a little would help.

We haven't settled on somewhere specific yet but closer to the Art institute was the thinking.

Girlfriend has made a reservation for Pequod's and going to grab a hot dog at Wrigley. We are both fans of steakhouses and Mexican restaurants. She actually was a world traveler so there's not a cuisine she isn't a fan of.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Pequod's is really good, you made a good choice there. Mexican I really like Mi Tocoya in Logan square, it's maybe a 1/2 mile walk from the California blue line stop. Logan Square has a ton of food and drink places that are great, so it's a good place to spend an evening walking around. I'm the wrong guy to ask about steak houses, but you could try Tango Sur in Lakeview, it's not too far from Wrigley Field either. Otherwise, I hear good things about Gibson's, Gene & Georgetti's for that classic Italian steakhouse place, or Maple & Ash.

General other restaurant recommendations, Au Cheval or Small Cheval for really good burgers, Publican, Lula's, Eataly, Ina Mae (southern/Louisiana style), Jeni's Ice Cream or Black Dog Gelato, Floriole for baked goods, Parson's or Honey Butter for fired chicken, and Handlebar for vegetarian. For drinks I like Hopleaf, Billy Sunday, City Winery, Maria's Packaged Goods, and Marz. I probably forgot a dozen other places to recommend.

Bird I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Had an interview for a new place today. I think it went really well and would be a $3 an hour raise and another one in 6 months. So hopefully I hear something back soon

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

:siren: New job alert :siren:

Well, sort of. I've been a contractor for the last 11.5 years and I'm finally getting hired on at the company where I've been stationed all this time. I'll be doing almost exactly the same work and I'll be working in the same group with the same people I've always been with. The main difference is that I'll need to be more of a go-getter instead of kind of a slacker who looks like he's working a little harder than he actually is. The other main difference is the drat-near-50% pay increase and the transition from "absolutely no benefits at all" to "loving fantastic benefits package" :woop:

loving awesome and congratulations! That is quite the pay increase.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I actually just got called and was offered the job I interviewed for yesterday and even got $2 more an hour than I thought I was going to get. So yeah I'm extremely excited and just waiting for the official paperwork to come to me.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

So my son is going to prom today, he is a sophomore but his girlfriend is a senior. It definitely makes me feel old though seeing him in a tux.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

It is satisfying knowing that I have only 2 more weeks at this job and that I'll only be in the office 2 more times. Just a real peace.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Got back from Chicago early this morning, Bird thank you for the recommendations and it was great to see all that we did.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ya boy (finally) got a job! Guy called with a verbal offer today.

Let’s gooooo

Congratulations! Get paid!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Started my new job yesterday and celebrating another year on this hell earth. I want you all to know you make it infinitely better.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Jindal did the same cut back on all the taxes as Kansas did and it blew up so spectacularly that JBE had to do some crazy tax shenanigans to balance the budget. It's legit impressive he's done it while still having the GOP congress screaming more tax cuts

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Inspired and confused how y’all have time, energy, and money for multiple hobbies

Don't feel bad, I feel the exact same way reading the thread so you aren't the only one. It is inspiring for sure though.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I absolutely hate open world games with a passion. I get sick of them almost immediately, the last one I beat was Sunset Overdrive and by the end I was like as much as I love everything about this game I'm ready for it to be done.

I have dedicated game nights with friends and then depending on what's going on I'll play something. But with hockey and basketball playoffs going on right now, it's mostly been the 2 days a week with friends.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm up early and I guess I'm watching Jennifer's Body. It's interesting how this has come around and became a cult classic.

Also how Amanda Sigfried & Megan Fox's careers went after this movie.

Everyone has talked about how it's become a cult classic or whatever and while the story is interesting, God the dialogue in it is just so painful. Honestly just watch Teeth instead as it's much better and has a better female empowerment arc in my opinion.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

My condolences Braks.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bad weather came through the Louisville area so I am without power and had 2 big trees fall. One may have clipped the neighbor's roof on the corner but it could have been a big limb from one of their trees so got to call my insurance company tomorrow on it.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

People ITT who regularly share a bed with someone- when your bedtime buddy is away, do you still stay on "your side" of the bed or do you spread out?

I'll creep a little more to the middle but my side is my side for a reason. It's funny because when I stay at her place, the sides are flipped.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I went to Top golf last night and for the first time hit a golf ball that wasn't at miniature golf. It was fun and hearing my son say he enjoyed it and would do it again was worth it for sure.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I am at the pro football hall of fame and first thing you see is exhibits for the newest inductees. I had to explain to my son why it's a travesty Coryell is only getting in now.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Spoeank posted:

The holographic experience with Ghost Halas and Ghost Lombardi is awesome.

Yeah I thought it was pretty awesome, the whole thing was a bit more awe-inspiring than I was expecting if I'm being honest. I know I've followed football since I can remember but seeing it all like that really solidified my love.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I saw on the Today show that the Oppenheimer IMAX reel is 11 miles long and weighs 600lbs.

Yeah Indianapolis has one of the 30 screens in the world that can play it so I'm heading to see it this weekend. I don't really care for going to the movie theater any more but I wanted to see it the way Nolan wants you to see it

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

You... don't? That's not what I was saying, but you did kinda stumble into the basic thrust of it. You have a movie about a toy and a movie about a dude. Neither of these has seemed to be something anyone has been clamoring for at any point that I can remember in the last ten (or more) years but suddenly they're both Big Deals that everyone wants to see and I don't get it. :shrug:

I think it is for a few reasons but obviously since covid there hasn't been a ton of big movies that have hit theaters only is a big one. Both have been heavily marketed for a while now is another. Barbie at least in the trailers we have seen looks to hit all the right notes and looks fun and appeals to adults. Nolan doing his practical magic and making a bomb plus him hyping the special IMAX has really helped as well.

When is the last time a non-superhero movie been hyped like these two?

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

swickles posted:

Oh yeah, I know we talked about it a few weeks ago, but what battery ecosystem should I get into? I think my wife already has a few Ryobi tools, but not so many that we can't start a new. First purchase will probably be a hedge trimmer.

Per this thread's advice when I bought my house 3 years ago. I bought the Ryobi kit that has a bunch of stuff and love them. I've added on throughout the years but will vouch Ryobi for sure.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah me and my doctor just talked about our kids while he did the procedure. Super simple and easy.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

My kid is a junior this year and he's been taller than me for a while and wears shoes 2 sizes more than me. I love him to death and while excited to be able to travel more, I am going to miss him terribly once he does things on his own

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

My mom has planned her first knee replacement for the end of next month and I'm stressing for her and she's pretty stressed as well

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Birthday Braks!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Hi TFF,

I just quit my job, effective immediately. New job starts Wednesday.

Welp, that's all.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling and I'm happy for you!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It was like 100 degrees in Minnesota over the weekend and my cats just spent all day posed like this

Those are some fluffy kitties that definitely need tummy rubs.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I have been on a contract with a company for almost 6 months and so they gave me an offer to move to them full time. They offered me 12k less a year than I'm making right now which I told my supervisor was insultingly low and I should be making at minimum what I do now considering what I've proven in my time here. So he's going to go talk to HR and see what happens.

I was shocked and started laughing when he told me the pay rate they wanted to give me.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

While I def agree about getting as much cash as possible, what kind of benefits would you be getting switching from contract to fulltime? Would the cost difference in health insurance/retirement contributions (etc) make up for the pay difference?

From what I know because my contract company offers insurance as well so not a selling point for me. The added things are this:

5% 401k match
5 sick days
2 weeks PTO
11 paid holidays

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Regardless of the answer to those questions, they gave the appropriate response. gently caress you, pay me.

The most hilarious thing is that they just did a IT town hall meeting last week talking about they found that they pay on the lower end of multinational companies and that they would be investing more into IT.

So yeah I made sure that was known as well.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

swickles posted:

Psssh, you jusr don't want to work and live off all the sweet unemployment bonuses that definitely still exist.

The good news is that they said I could keep working as a contractor since I've done a great job but I just fired back up LinkedIn and Indeed just in case HR doesn't come back with a fair offer

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Mom has knee replacement surgery today and she is super nervous about it. For my medical goons or anyone who has had to deal with it for a family member, any advice or things I should know for recovery?

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Total? Partial?

One of the most common ortho procedures. Very high success rate. Depending on the kind of replacement and your mothers health and when the surgery was performed she could go home the same day. If she’s got some health stuff going on, certain age etc she might need a quick few days in inpatient rehab. If she’s in good health, PT can start as soon as the next day (light stuff of course nothing serious right away). Will be in a brace for a 7-14 days but thats mostly to let the incisions heal. She’ll be weight bearing as tolerated fairly quickly.

Depending on health, she could be back to weight bearing without restriction in 10-12 weeks. But thats just an estimate of what I can remember. I’m sure there’s one person who’ll sweep in here with the top results from google and point out I was off by two weeks or something.

It's a total and she's really obese and under the age of 60.

I really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

I really appreciate all the words everyone and especially Fiz! I will definitely make sure that PT is done which I did tell her before the surgery as well. Yeah once this knee is good to go the other one is next.