Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The machines, which have long known they could do without men, have finally driven them out; and after a long exile, the wild animals have come back to occupy the territory wrested from the forest: foxes and martens wave their soft tails over the control panels starred with manometers and levers and gauges and diagrams; badgers and dormice luxuriate on batteries and magnetos.

Man was necessary; now he is useless. For the world to receive information from the world and enjoy it, now computers and butterflies suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey I wanna talk about OSTRANAUTS a bit. It's a space junkyard trash to treasure sim. Get into your cheap spacesuit which holds 1 helmetful of air, get into the horrible ship you've been saddled with a mortgage with just to afford, and blast off into the debris field to hopefully find some useful junk to sell off. Along the way, learn how a ship works, what you'd possibly need to do to make one from a hulk and a handful of spare parts and try to make a fortune while avoiding workplace accidents, running out of air, making GBS threads your pants in space, horrible food products, being bumped screaming into the void of space by bad drivers, crashing yourself into the moon the shipyard orbits, forgetting which order the wires go in and blowing up your ship's power supply, and all sorts of other catastrophes.

It's also tremendously janky because its in early access but more importantly its also from the developers of Neo Scavenger which itself had quite a... UNIQUE ui. Its also part of the Neo Scavenger setting. If you've played NeoScav you probably know what to expect in terms of tone and ui.

You can find all sorts of things on derelict ships. Working components. Leftover lunches. Dead bodies.

So many dead bodies.

Once you figure out ship systems you can cannibalize parts from other ships to expand your vehicle into something more luxurious. Or buy and refurbish a wreck with working new parts then flip it for a profit!

There's lore!

Good food!

Also your mom and dad are there!

Anyway I've been having fun with this incomplete game in development and wanted to tell people about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022980/Ostranauts/
OSTRANAUTS IN SPACE

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 17, 2024

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I am extremely jazzed for Ostranauts but after completely burning myself on NEO Scavenger long before its full release I'm resolved to hold out this time. Which is kind of killing me, because it looks like extremely my poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ostranauts looks really neat which is exactly why I'm not touching it until it's released.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Don’t overlook Starcom: Nexus as a star-control-like.

Starcom: Nexus, you say? Hmm...interesting.

I'm not seeing NPCs in the screenshots, does it have interesting characters? Is there an overall time limit?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Starcom games have no time limits. Characters are pretty bare-bones, but some of the little planet-landing events are interesting.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea. Starcom Nexus is some pretty budget comfort food for those who liked Starcontrol 2. Exploration, a plot, ship upgrading, doesn't overstay its welcome nor require grinding or anything. Probably like fifteen hours for a ten buck game, which is perfect and what we need more of nowadays.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I wishlisted it. No overarching time limit is a big one for me, those give me the bad kind of stress. It's the reason I'm never going back to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, even though I wouldn't consider it a bad game otherwise.

I also threw out Broken Roads while I was there, looks like the reviews aren't getting any better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Ur-Quan Masters has a very generous time limit, and you can extend it further by completing one of the friendly species' plotlines.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Phigs posted:

Warframe was awesome until they added the Nightwave battlepass thing. My mind just does not gel well with battlepasses. Destiny 2 I bounced off the new player experience completely lost. I might try that again some day but the fact that they remove content makes me less inclined. Running with rifles I'll have a look at, less interested in a topdown game but it might scratch an itch anyway.

I don't think I ever paid attention to Nightwave? Especially since sometimes it lasted for over half a year so there was no point in rushing to do anything for the 'eh' rewards.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh my god, I apparently own a game that I must have bought in a bundle in 2016 that went into Early Access in 2014... and is still there. "StarMade"

Fuckin' shameful, and I rue every dollar spent supporting this hosed up industry practice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the time limit in Ur Quan is so long that you'd have to be deliberately wasting time to fail it. Theres enough time to do every single quest and storyline in the game and you'll be twiddling your thumbs waiting for the end.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Phigs posted:

Warframe was awesome until they added the Nightwave battlepass thing. My mind just does not gel well with battlepasses. Destiny 2 I bounced off the new player experience completely lost. I might try that again some day but the fact that they remove content makes me less inclined. Running with rifles I'll have a look at, less interested in a topdown game but it might scratch an itch anyway.

Nightwave is super forgiving; any 'bounties' you miss during a week just go to the backburner and start replacing bounties you complete in subsequent weeks. For example, if you complete all elite weekly bounties for this week, it'll just replace them with other elite weeklies you haven't completed in previous weeks, so you're never 'capped' on weekly rep.

The reward tracks go on for A WHILE (this one has been going since Nov 29), and anything you missed can show up in future 'remix' tracks.

But mostly what Azran said, don't even sweat Nightwaves, most of the rewards are cosmetic or small stuff like a couple weapon/frame slots and forma packs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Serephina posted:

Oh my god, I apparently own a game that I must have bought in a bundle in 2016 that went into Early Access in 2014... and is still there. "StarMade"

Fuckin' shameful, and I rue every dollar spent supporting this hosed up industry practice.

Releasing games into early access has produced quite a few bangers and lets devs who otherwise had no funding make a game so as long as the StarMade's and the Day Before's are evened out by a couple Hades's or Rimworlds I think it's a good thing actually.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Serephina posted:

Not as long as Project Zomboid

e: now I can't stop thinking about starting another Project Zomboid run...

Enfys fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 17, 2024

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

The 7th Guest posted:

even more May release dates got announced. it's easily become the biggest month of the entire year for indie games and there are some notable AAA titles as well:

[snip]

I really do appreciate these posts as they have given me a heads up to games I otherwise wouldn't have known about that are totally my jam. However, I do wish the screenshots were labeled more clearly to denote which image went to which game. Often one or two of the screenshots looks interesting, but then I play a guessing game trying to match the screenshot to a potential game title and then checking steam to see if I was right.

E: Like, this one looks super interesting to me:

But I can't figure out which of the games you listed this belongs to. Reus 2?

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 17, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

But I can't figure out which of the games you listed this belongs to. Reus 2?

It's this one

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think that's 1000xRESIST

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

buglord posted:

I got around to playing Battlebit because a) its $7.50 rn and b) they're going with a linux-friendly anticheat

here are my unsolicited half hour thoughts:

- i really suck at PVP shooter games, woof. I mean, I don't think I was ever great when I played Battlefield 2 at age 17, but I think I'm somehow worse now at my current age.

Yeah, that was my experience too. Run, run, run, die to something I never saw, rinse, repeat.

That's mostly why I still play Overwatch after all these years - I feel like I can have fun and contribute and get my PVP fix without needing to be excessively twitchy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that you need a disclaimer like that now...

*Looks at nutrition facts label*: "drat, this game was manufactured in a facility that uses AI ingredients."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I prefer my pixels artisan made.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

even more May release dates got announced. it's easily become the biggest month of the entire year for indie games and there are some notable AAA titles as well:

May 2 - Surmount, Abiotic Factor, MotoGP 24, Foundry,
May 7 - Venture to the Vile, Prison Architect 2
May 8 - Indika, Pac-Man Chomp Champs, V Rising X Castlevania DLC
May 9 - Animal Well, Crow Country, Vampire Survivor X Contra DLC, Cryptmaster (IGF winner), 1000xRESIST (IGF winner), Gatekeeper
May 13 - Homeworld 3
May 14 - The Rogue Prince of Persia, Athenian Rhapsody, Touhou Genso Wanderer -FORESIGHT-

May 16 - Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, Die by the Blade, Robobeat
May 21 - Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Paper Trail, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder, Pampas & Selene: The Maze of Demons
May 23 - Hauntii, Reus 2, Star Trek: Resurgence, Morbid 2: The Lords of Ire, Until Then
May 24 - SunnySide, Besiege DLC
May 30 - Selaco, Umbraclaw, Cozynauts, SKALD: Against the Black Priory

June is not nearly as crazy (maybe because no one wants to get in the way of the Elden Ring Erdtree DLC), but there is some notable stuff there too: Destiny 2 the Final Shape, ESO Gold Road, Life by You (the Sims-like), SMTV Vengeance, the Killer Klowns game, #BLUD, Still Wakes the Deep

and then a buuuunch of stuff with a Q2 release that is scheduled just after the time the Summer Games Fest and Steam Next Fest wrap up: Frogun Encore, Paper Perjury, The Garden Path, Mira & the Legend of the Djinns, Loco Motive, Tracks of Thought, Octopus City Blues, RKGK, Demonschool, Broken Sword Remake, Critter Cove, Pine Hearts, The End of the Sun

Lots of good looking games! I appreciate the gif filled upcoming posts.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Phigs posted:

20-odd years ago I was the freak who played all day every day and left the casuals with no chance. Now I just could not be hosed to play a game that much and so I am the casual who has no chance. My desire for competitive games has coincidentally fallen off a cliff.

This a good reason why the only online pvp FPS I consistently play is Holdfast, because it does not matter if you can aim, your bullet will go where it wants to go and then you have to wait twenty seconds while you reload before you can fire again. No one person can dominate, the best someone can do I think is be really good at the bayonet, but that will only get you so far when one bullet can kill you. Also has drums and a fife.

https://i.imgur.com/Bnk67PA.mp4

I go in phases where I play a lot but it's one of those Forever Installed games and there's always at least one big server with players for a good time. I'll play a match here and there.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

https://x.com/LittleKittyGame/status/1780599992035823724

Little Kitty, Big City confirmed for a May 9th release date.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The PC version of Ghost of Tsushima will come with an optional PSN overlay. If you sign in you can also acquire PlayStation trophies (there will also be Steam and EGS achievements). Multiplayer (which is crossplay with PS4/PS5) will require a PSN account.

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/04/17/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-pc-cross-play-and-system-requirements-revealed/

Orv
May 4, 2011
Finally the genre we can all agree on; Stray clones.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh dang, I read cross play as cross save. I beat the game on PS4, imported the save to the PS5 version but never got around to playing it on that. Was hoping I could do a NG+ on PC right off the bat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orv posted:

Honestly I think it's aiming for Untitled Goose Game more than Stray.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Netrunner posted:

https://x.com/LittleKittyGame/status/1780599992035823724

Little Kitty, Big City confirmed for a May 9th release date.

Is this just like somewhere in between Goat Simulator and Untitled Goose Game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think it's aiming for Untitled Goose Game more than Stray.

That's fair I'm mostly just being silly

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ErrEff posted:

The PC version of Ghost of Tsushima will come with an optional PSN overlay. If you sign in you can also acquire PlayStation trophies (there will also be Steam and EGS achievements). Multiplayer (which is crossplay with PS4/PS5) will require a PSN account.

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/04/17/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-pc-cross-play-and-system-requirements-revealed/

Extremely looking forward to this. Been bouncing off open world stuff since elden ring but everything I hear about GoT sounds like it's very good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cannot WAIT for Ghosts of Tsushima.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ghost of Tsushima is great, excited for the PC release.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Orv posted:

I know you said you were kidding, but honestly, the demo for this was what I was hoping Stray would be, and I say that as someone who liked Stray. Just cattin' around solving problems by doing cat stuff.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really wasn't a fan of the story in GoT overall but the game itself is a ton of fun, probably will pick it up on PC at some point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jack Trades posted:

I prefer my pixels artisan made.
And my bread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that you need a disclaimer like that now...

I dunno about "need", I feel like that disclaimer is more for the artists than for the consumers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in addition to little kitty big city, Lorelei and the Laser Eyes also has a May date, May 16th. it's by Simogo (Sayonara Wild Hearts)

Duck Detective on May 23rd

SCHiM finally has a date, July 18th.

Cat Quest 3 comes out in August

lastly Steamworld Heist 2 was just announced, coming out August 8th

oh yea also Wayforward is doing a Yars Revenge-themed Metroidvania called Yars Rising

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

Straylikevania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The 7th Guest posted:

Cat Quest 3 comes out in August

Hell yeah!