Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Jossar posted:

drat, and we just changed the thread title too.

When the right title comes along it really shouldn’t matter how long ago the last time it was changed.

In games related content. After many months of a friend recommending Satisfactory, I bought it recently when it was on sale. This game has its hooks in me. Half the time I’m not even playing the game but planning stuff in excel to optimize my productivity. Despite not being a dad, I feel like I have now reached my dad gaming phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I have a $20 rice cooker with the extremely fuzzy logic of "fill with rice and water, bowl depresses spring onto heating element, cooked rice is lifted up by spring" and it has yet to be defeated

Yeah the basic ones are amazing for the price, especially if they come with a steamer basket. Get home from work and just throw the rice and water in, put some frozen veggies and/or fish in the basket and you've got a meal in 20 minutes, and can make fried rice with the leftovers tomorrow morning.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

high-end japanese rice cookers are nice but i'd suggest people try out different types of rice. i've been surprised by how many people default to rando grades/type of white rice (especially basmati) without thinking about taste

i don't even mean sushi rice - try out japanese medium grain and thai jasmine if you've always cooked with basmati.
japanese mixed grain is nice too (zakkoku)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Try brown rice also you unhealthy fucks. It's delicious

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I prefer jasmine rice

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

basmarti rice and brown rice are both very good

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If y'all haven't played Sakuna yet, you better grab it next sale.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Rice chat! Here is a risotto.

Prepare about a litre of chicken stock.
Take some diced bacon or pancetta and fry in a little oil in a large saucepan. When cooked, add two cloves of grated or crushed garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Add chopped red onion and mushrooms and stir until everything is cooked. Add risotto rice or long-grain white rice and stir for about one minute or until the ends of the grains are translucent. Take a ladle and add the chicken stock in two batches - about half to begin with, then when that's almost absorbed, add more a ladle at a time until the rice is cooked to your preference and almost all liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat.Take a handful or two of baby spinach and stir through in batches until it wilts. Then take grated Italian hard cheese (about 20g for two people but adjust to your taste) and stir through until everything is silky smooth.

I cook this once a week and it's frickin delicious and basically foolproof. No complicated ingredients, no sauce balancing.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

mystes posted:

I think "fuzzy logic" has about as much meaning as "block chain" or "ai" would in a new line of rice cookers being launched nowadays

They've been calling it "fuzzy logic" since literally everything was advertised as "fuzzy logic" and they just didn't bother to change it when that stopped being a fad

fuzzy logic is a funny name for an actual thing that is useful.

in classic control systems you take a specific concept of "a thing to control"; mathematically model it; identify whatever dynamical behavior it has that you don't want; and introduce a system of control mathematically defined to make the whole shebang have the dynamical behavior you want. there are limits to this technique though, which sort of fall into two camps: first, did you appropriately model that system under control (i.e. if you're using a PID controller, is this actually an LTI system? or did you make simplifying assumptions and if you exceed some zone of operation your controller is completely wrong?) and second, do you have appropriate sensitivity to disturbances and to noise (if you got the modeled mass wrong by 1%, does it break? 10%? .1%?)

what fuzzy logic actually is, is a way to extend simpler control techniques to cover more of the second type of modelling failure. you define rules that apply in certain zones of state space with trailing on and off ramps that overlap with each other. for a rice cooker, maybe you have rules for low medium and high ambient temperature; low is -inf to 10C with a 100% weight ramping down to 0% weight at 15C, medium starts ramping up from 0% weight at 10C to 100% weight from 15-25C to 0% weight at 35C, high ramps from 0% weight at 25C to 100% weight at 35C and holds to +inf. When low temp mode is active, it adds 10C*weight to the setpoint, medium doesn't do anything, high subtracts 10C*weight from the setpoint.

so it lets you layer on a bunch of additional rules with these nice ramps so you don't get big changes (which the underlying control system usually hates) when you cross specific breakpoints, and since each rule is independent and designed to work with the others you can keep layering them on as much as you want for as many sensors you have.

it's pretty straightforward but everything's gotta get invented sometime. it solves specific problems, it doesn't contribute to the cost or energy usage of anything, it has fundamental mathematical underpinnings.

i mean it might still be a meaningless marketing buzzword when applied to rice cookers in 2024, but please it's not a drat blockchain

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

StrixNebulosa posted:

holy sweet christ on a cracker, why does sen's fortress have crabs in it????

Oh nice, I didn't even know these existed and never seen them in any of my playthroughs!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've been on a mild Age of Empires 3 kick and I've been enjoying its tycoon mode and generally scrambling for resources/upgrades.

I'm not ready to make the jump into 4X games but would anyone know if I'd enjoy Northgard?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Morter posted:

I've been on a mild Age of Empires 3 kick and I've been enjoying its tycoon mode and generally scrambling for resources/upgrades.

I'm not ready to make the jump into 4X games but would anyone know if I'd enjoy Northgard?

Northgard is good and is extremely "What if Age of Empires was a baby's first 4X game", in a complimentary way.
It's say it's likely that you'd enjoy it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lordfrikk posted:

Oh nice, I didn't even know these existed and never seen them in any of my playthroughs!

same. kind of crazy i have spent hundreds of hours in that game and dont even know all the mechanics lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

this game is really good!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Morter posted:

4X stuff if you change your mind later on:

-If you can stomach an older game, an absolute classic of the genre is Master of Orion 2. The game is sort of 90's bullshit hard in that some of the races are kinda overpowered and they will paint half the map in their colour if you don't or can't stop them. There is a sort of tech-win condition where you build a big thing and send your space fleet to fight the big boss of the game instead, so it isn't hopeless.

-There is a remake of Master of Orion 2 just called Master of Orion 2016. Don't ask me. It is not as good as the original, but it has a more modern GUI and cutesy graphics. The game is simpler in some ways than the original and you can steam-roll pretty easily, so it might be a good introduction to the genre? It also has Mark Hamill and Q as voice talents, though you don't speak with them that much.

-Civilization 5 is the best civ game and I will fight you. Now, it is pretty hard if you turn up the difficulty dial, so YMMV. But you get to nuke people and there's a lot of random historical quotes when you discover technologies and so forth, so it's very much the 4X/Civ idea distilled to its core. Sadly, for the best experience you have to fork out for the DLC's, they add a lot of mechanics and I hate this kind of game "design" :argh:

-Master of Magic (the original from the 90's) influenced a lot of the genre too, including some mechanics in MoO 2. It's a civ game, but you're a wizard, Harry, so you sort of get the idea I think. Now this game is incredibly unbalanced, so you can make a wizard who will just waltz to victory, or you can be a mediocre wizard and meet one of the OP ones and die horribly. But they took the concept to the limit, at the end of the game you can just stop time for everybody else, and other ridiculous things.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

HopperUK posted:

Anyone playing this Rusty's Retirement game? A little farm sim that sits along the bottom of your screen. The reviews are amazing and it's only a few bucks, I might get it.

It's pretty cool, played for a couple hours and let it idle for a couple hours. Really love the design constraint of having the game live in the bottom 1/4th of your monitor. Honestly surprised I haven't seen that before. My only real issues with the game so far are that the UI is a bit clunky in some areas, and it feels like the optimization of where you place things is a big part of the "meta." I'm usually not a big fan of the latter because I get analysis paralysis and that is something I don't really want in my idle games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

HopperUK posted:

Let's not get too deep in the weeds about that fuckin guy if we can help it

Anyone playing this Rusty's Retirement game? A little farm sim that sits along the bottom of your screen. The reviews are amazing and it's only a few bucks, I might get it.

looks very cute, i'll probably try it out later today

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ive never washed my rice a single time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

check out Captain Poop Rice over here

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

you only really need to wash your rice once or twice a week, otherwise it messes up their natural oils

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't go on a date with you, I'm washing my rice tonight

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Steam Thread: Welcome to the Rice Fields.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr.Acula posted:

This is why I don't come to Games for my cooking advice!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

Rice chat! Here is a risotto.

Prepare about a litre of chicken stock.
Take some diced bacon or pancetta and fry in a little oil in a large saucepan. When cooked, add two cloves of grated or crushed garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Add chopped red onion and mushrooms and stir until everything is cooked. Add risotto rice or long-grain white rice and stir for about one minute or until the ends of the grains are translucent. Take a ladle and add the chicken stock in two batches - about half to begin with, then when that's almost absorbed, add more a ladle at a time until the rice is cooked to your preference and almost all liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat.Take a handful or two of baby spinach and stir through in batches until it wilts. Then take grated Italian hard cheese (about 20g for two people but adjust to your taste) and stir through until everything is silky smooth.

I cook this once a week and it's frickin delicious and basically foolproof. No complicated ingredients, no sauce balancing.
Any good replacement for the spinach when you can't eat greens?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rappaport posted:

4X stuff if you change your mind later on:

[...]

-Master of Magic (the original from the 90's) influenced a lot of the genre too, including some mechanics in MoO 2. It's a civ game, but you're a wizard, Harry, so you sort of get the idea I think. Now this game is incredibly unbalanced, so you can make a wizard who will just waltz to victory, or you can be a mediocre wizard and meet one of the OP ones and die horribly. But they took the concept to the limit, at the end of the game you can just stop time for everybody else, and other ridiculous things.

I'll add a few things to that. First that the fact that the game is stupidly unbalanced is like half the reason the game is so good. It really is a power trip and a half. And as a single player game, I love that it's up to you to decide whether you're going to abuse everything you can, only some of it, or nothing. You get to set your own challenges and that's cool.

And then, i'll add that the modern remake is brilliant. It's almost a 1:1 copy in terms of gameplay and the changes don't affect the fundamental design in terms of civic/military/magic development (hexes instead of squares, some unit movement rebalance). They added some DLCs since, which add new wizards and races that go beyond the original, but I haven't picked these up yet so can't comment on their quality.

As a big Magic the Gathering fan when the original game released, it was the dream game: Civ + MTG. The remake keeps all that spirit but updates it with modern QoL. My only regret is that they didn't manage (or chose not to) license the original game's music/fx. That's some powerful nostalgia I could have done with. But ah, I still get to conquer the world with Beastmen, which is something only MoM and Warhammer allow.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

I'll add a few things to that. First that the fact that the game is stupidly unbalanced is like half the reason the game is so good. It really is a power trip and a half. And as a single player game, I love that it's up to you to decide whether you're going to abuse everything you can, only some of it, or nothing. You get to set your own challenges and that's cool.

And then, i'll add that the modern remake is brilliant. It's almost a 1:1 copy in terms of gameplay and the changes don't affect the fundamental design in terms of civic/military/magic development (hexes instead of squares, some unit movement rebalance). They added some DLCs since, which add new wizards and races that go beyond the original, but I haven't picked these up yet so can't comment on their quality.

As a big Magic the Gathering fan when the original game released, it was the dream game: Civ + MTG. The remake keeps all that spirit but updates it with modern QoL. My only regret is that they didn't manage (or chose not to) license the original game's music/fx. That's some powerful nostalgia I could have done with. But ah, I still get to conquer the world with Beastmen, which is something only MoM and Warhammer allow.

Just take 11 books in Dark Necromancy and you can be a monster who feeds innocent people to wraiths, which makes the units resurrect as undead units in your service. From about turn 15 onwards, too. It's just ridiculous. Also eventually you can just cast Zombie Mastery and resurrect everything you murder. I remember the Illusion school also has a lot of crazy stuff, and Nature has some stupid OP summoned creatures too but it's not exactly Dominions level "thug" insane.

The game has a funny world too, in terms of the player races, halflings and orcs are the most well-rounded folk, humans are kinda awful, elves are about what you'd expect and there's klackons from Master of Orion just if you want to play with weird bug people instead. It's a very creative game of the genre!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

wash my rice? I don't even boil it!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FrickenMoron posted:

Steam Thread: Welcome to the Rice Fields.
To the Rice Fields, mother fuckers!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I wash my rice in the shower

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

anilEhilated posted:

Any good replacement for the spinach when you can't eat greens?

Honestly they don't add all that much to the flavour so you can leave them out so long as you get your goodness elsewhere in your diet

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr.Acula posted:

My rice comes clean right out of the red box?!?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For the best rice you need to wash it then individually separate each grain while they dry

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eat it dry first and then chase it down with some boiling water to save time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there a rice version of the cat poop coffee

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Don't forget to parboil to remove arsenic.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720368728

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

the cat poop coffee

:stare:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there a rice version of the cat poop coffee

If there is, you will probably want to wash it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goons dont wash themselves much less their food

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wash your pasta too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I bet you de-grease your pizza too