Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

quick question (that has probably been asked thousands of times but I'm too lazy to search) is it possible to roll games back to earlier patches? Since System Shock Remake got a new patch that changed some big things like the final boss fight, I was wondering if there was a way to roll it back to compare it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I still maintain that for perfect comedic timing, the Hades II Early Access releases sometime this month and sucks up all the oxygen out of the room.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Squiggle posted:

The rankine scale? It's "kelvin for fahrenheit"

See, it's not the same game, whether you think it's close enough to be or not. It's like being mad they didn't patch something into GTA3 when Vice City came out just because you were still playing it. When 2 came out development of 1 ended, and that's not some kind of cruel surprise just because they included old races into the sequel. Don't be obtuse.

If they're totally unrelated games, why do you need to buy #1 to play as Thogrim in #2? Why not just set aside the previous title's ownership, and just buy the latest and greatest standalone game and enjoy all the new features? Because CA themselves said that they where linked titles, recall the whole 'mortal empires' map, press releases, etc? Development for TWW1 factions continued in TWW2, but you couldn't enjoy said development unless you owned both games. It's a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation.

But back on topic, you're right, it IS totally unreasonable of me to ask for backporting. Bloody entitled consumer, I am.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Aces High posted:

quick question (that has probably been asked thousands of times but I'm too lazy to search) is it possible to roll games back to earlier patches? Since System Shock Remake got a new patch that changed some big things like the final boss fight, I was wondering if there was a way to roll it back to compare it

Up to the developer. Some games will have a list of previous releases under rightclick->properties->betas. Doesn't seem like many games do that, however.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kazil posted:

Excited for Hellblade 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima. Gonna hold off on Ghosts until I can see how the port is, but Hellblade is day 1 on gamepass

Gonna be very sad if Ghost is a bad port, but I have the PS5 version I can fall back on anyways. Want to play the game again, but have been waiting on the PC version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kazil posted:

Excited for Hellblade 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima. Gonna hold off on Ghosts until I can see how the port is, but Hellblade is day 1 on gamepass

They released min PC specs for Hellblade 2 on Steam and it seems... actually quite reasonable for how the game looks.

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 | AMD RX 5700 | Intel Arc A580
Storage: 70 GB available space
Additional Notes: SSD Required

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I said come in! posted:

Gonna be very sad if Ghost is a bad port, but I have the PS5 version I can fall back on anyways. Want to play the game again, but have been waiting on the PC version.

It's being done by Nixxes so I wouldn't worry about the quality of the port. Everything they've put out so far has been top notch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Aces High posted:

Yeah, but it's a non-trivial procedure. Nothing easy unless the dev provides older releases under the "Betas" tab in Steam, like in the case of The Witcher 3 where you can select a "beta" that's the original version of the game

The other way is to download the files for the version of the game you want from Steam Depot. Google "steam downgrade." This was the top hit for me, no idea if it's good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjg722smfNA

I've done it in the past, it's not brain surgery; just tedious.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Have I missed a bunch of stuff for Hellblade 2 or is it very under wraps for being so close?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

But back on topic, you're right, it IS totally unreasonable of me to ask for backporting. Bloody entitled consumer, I am.
Correct.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Serephina posted:

If they're totally unrelated games, why do you need to buy #1 to play as Thogrim in #2? Why not just set aside the previous title's ownership, and just buy the latest and greatest standalone game and enjoy all the new features? Because CA themselves said that they where linked titles, recall the whole 'mortal empires' map, press releases, etc? Development for TWW1 factions continued in TWW2, but you couldn't enjoy said development unless you owned both games. It's a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation.

Let's put it this way: TWW1 died, just like all games do. Play with the body all you want. Meanwhile it's gone on to its afterlife as an expansion pack for TWW2/3.

Serephina posted:

Yeah see you got it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 30, 2024

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So speaking of TWWH and considering that I, too:

Subjunctive posted:

I’m too stupid to play strategy games, but also too stupid to stop buying them.

Is base TWWH3 a good starting point if I have that on game pass?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah. It's actually the first one with a tutorial.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

ya, its a good place to start. it even has a tutorial minicampaign

i would recommend picking it up on Steam during a sale if you like it, since dlc appears to go on sale more often on steam than gamepass and all the third-party sales sites sell steam codes

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is it on game pass? I only see the option to buy it in the store.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Is it on game pass? I only see the option to buy it in the store.

Ah god dammit. :(

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Edmond Dantes posted:

It was on gamepass when it first came out I believe but they removed it awhile ago. I've been on the fence about buying it since I tend to have trouble getting interested in Total War games.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

It was on gamepass when it first came out I believe but they removed it awhile ago. I've been on the fence about buying it since I tend to have trouble getting interested in Total War games.

Yeah, at some point I had Three Kingdoms installed, went to play it recently and it was gone too. Ergh. I'll get drunk and impulse buy it next sale.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can you believe id Software didn't backport the super shotgun and all the new monsters to Doom 1? Greedy Romero! :argh:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To clarify, I don't unironically want backporting, I'm just really annoyed at the CA purchasing model.

To wit, that would be like if id software didn't include the regular shotgun in Doom2 unless you mailed in proof of purchase of the original game. And then salty nerds asked for the supershotty to get backported. And then the metaphor broke down, or something.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you've kept up on your Epic Store free games they gave away 1 and 2 at some point so you might have those.

I tried 2 from there and more or less had to immediately jump into the whole series on Steam, much to the detriment of my wallet. On the plus side you get to appreciate all the QoL improvements in 3, but 2 is very playable as it is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aces High posted:

Probably a video let's play would be best for this. It was extremely mid you ran around a sort of open dungeon in cyberspace shooting things at a central tower and being attacked until shodan died

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

doom 1 was absolute bullshit. they put the true ending of the game behind the dlc and you couldn't even order it online you had to physically phone someone and receive it in the loving mail.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Markovnikov posted:

If you've kept up on your Epic Store free games they gave away 1 and 2 at some point so you might have those.

I tried 2 from there and more or less had to immediately jump into the whole series on Steam, much to the detriment of my wallet. On the plus side you get to appreciate all the QoL improvements in 3, but 2 is very playable as it is.

Huh. I have been keeping up with it (mostly, when I see something I want) but I don't have those so looks like I missed them. Ah well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Y'all keep complaining and see what happens

https://twitter.com/gvy_dvpont/status/1779234987180482658

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

To clarify, I don't unironically want backporting,

I do

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Is Total War: Shogun 2 or Three Kingdoms the better game? For reference, I liked Rome, Medieval 2, and (heavily modded) Rome 2 the best in the series.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Orv posted:

Y'all keep complaining and see what happens

https://twitter.com/gvy_dvpont/status/1779234987180482658

Take the fatwa off Rushdie and put it on this man

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

Is Total War: Shogun 2 or Three Kingdoms the better game? For reference, I liked Rome, Medieval 2, and (heavily modded) Rome 2 the best in the series.

Much as I'd like to say Shogun, it's Three Kingdoms by a light year.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Probably 3k unless you really like/dislike the setting of one of those games. The other caveat is that shogun 2 has fall of the samurai so if you want a lot more guns and stuff then maybe go for that. Otherwise the faction variety and diplomacy and such is all a lot better in 3k

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eason the Fifth posted:

shogun 2's definitely up there, but it's a super return to basics game. three kingdoms is the best total war game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jossar posted:

I still maintain that for perfect comedic timing, the Hades II Early Access releases sometime this month and sucks up all the oxygen out of the room.
It’s definitely possible, but a game that large is probably waiting for Not-E3 in June to shadowdrop the EA release at one of the major events

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sebmojo posted:

Probably a video let's play would be best for this. It was extremely mid you ran around a sort of open dungeon in cyberspace shooting things at a central tower and being attacked until shodan died

Yeah I just looked on Youtube to compare. It's not as big a glow up as you might think.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

v1ld posted:

Yeah, but it's a non-trivial procedure. Nothing easy unless the dev provides older releases under the "Betas" tab in Steam, like in the case of The Witcher 3 where you can select a "beta" that's the original version of the game

The other way is to download the files for the version of the game you want from Steam Depot. Google "steam downgrade." This was the top hit for me, no idea if it's good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjg722smfNA

I've done it in the past, it's not brain surgery; just tedious.

thanks very much, I will try it out. It wasn't just System Shock, there's a few other games that I have that I wanted to see if I could roll back for kicks (though there are some games that have gotten kinda broken from newer patches)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Serephina posted:

This guy gets mad that he needs to buy a new FIFA to update his Ronaldos.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Orv posted:

Much as I'd like to say Shogun, it's Three Kingdoms by a light year.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Probably 3k unless you really like/dislike the setting of one of those games. The other caveat is that shogun 2 has fall of the samurai so if you want a lot more guns and stuff then maybe go for that. Otherwise the faction variety and diplomacy and such is all a lot better in 3k

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

shogun 2's definitely up there, but it's a super return to basics game. three kingdoms is the best total war game

Awesome thanks 👍

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I just looked on Youtube to compare. It's not as big a glow up as you might think.

what's the new one like?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well, you die for real, for one.

It's more of a puzzle this time, you can get different types of weapons (I feel like they recorded new lines for SHODAN, but that's one of the reasons I wanted to roll back and double-check if I was creating a false memory).

It feels like more of an actual challenge than the original

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pretty shocked to try jagged alliance 3 and find out I hate the combat side of it. I played so much JA2 and 1.13 in the day, but to be fair, I reckon I'd hate them if I played them today too. It felt like nothing mattered. I don't mind chance to hit being hidden but hell I'd like someone to die after I go to the trouble of flanking and putting a close up burst into them. The bit that made me uninstall was seeing two dudes standing together, thinking great, I'll grenade them. Ok they both survived. Grenade again. Ok they both survived. Grenade again. Ok they both survived that to full auto hose down my squad, alt, f4, uninstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StrixNebulosa posted:

and I'll call out the ones I think are lovely and praise the ones I think are consumer friendly. :shrug:

anyways I last played Intergalactic Fishing in 2020 and I'm happy to see it's gotten patches into 2023, I remember it being really good despite the funny tagline of "no man's sky but for fish"

e: wait a minute what is this

Lmao at adding Rankine. :discourse:
That's a funny game dev shitpost.