Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Begemot posted:

Soul Hackers 2 is perfectly fine. I might hold off only because they announced a patch to fix a bunch of things a couple months ago, but still haven't released it.

Are you talking about the big quality of life patch? That happened in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best debates in gaming are is cuphead racist, should dark souls have an easy mode, is titty armor sexist, and does playing counter strike make you complicit in war crimes

I misread that middle one as "is my armor sexist?" and I thought you had slipped in the funniest bit before I re-read this

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Hey, sick, I didn't know the sequel to Touhou Mystery Dungeon-like Gensou Wanderer had a now-translated sequel just drop without me noticing. This time the gimmick is entire teams on the field instead of a duet. This rules.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

mystes posted:

I really don't understand touhou fandom

I mean I'll be honest I don't know dick about Touhou, I just like the very content-heavy mystery dungeon clone which goes "Do you like to abuse systems? We will let you abuse systems".

I might've noticed this 18 months sooner if I was more tuned in, lmao

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

fit em all up in there posted:

Are the megaman legacy Collection games worth picking up ?

Legacy Collection 1 and X Collection 1 are absolutely top-tier stuff, no notes. The remaining games are very much "how much do you want more after what came before, knowing these are the 'weaker' entries?"

Some people will say Zero/ZX is a solid one but I'm firmly in the camp of "doing nothing about the already too-tight field of view on the Zero games is a mistake".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The Spyro trilogy is some excellent poo poo, good games with maybe one bum level each in a shining polished up port that added swell QoL upgrades. Tried them for the first time in 2020 and was blown away.

Tip: click the left stick anytime and the dragonfly will point at the nearest missing gem in a stage, great for polishing off a level.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

tater_salad posted:

I'm starting to really bounce off of Trials of Cold Steel. It seems like it's pretty much on rails (I'm through chapter 3).
It seems like there's not much capability to wander around and grind money/xp for teams outside of just resetting a dungeon of the day and killing everything again.
I'm enjoying the story so far but it's starting to feel a bit more on rails than I'd like, if it opens up a little I'll keep chugging through it if not maybe i"ll call it good at 40ish hours in.

So on the one hand I'd suggest hitting chapter 4 to really get into "oh the plot's beginning". On the other... you're going to be locked down pretty hard all of Cold Steel I. I + II were supposed to be one game and you're not even getting the airship until the sequel (at which point it will be slightly more open and give you some "have three, pick an order" explorations). If that's grating, I don't know if I can really suggest a salve, it's definitely a problem with that first game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The 7th Guest posted:

TLOU releases on Steam in March, not in a week

HBO show. That's what airs in a week.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
This made me recall they announced Metal Slug Tactics and check on it, and I think up until the point right now where the store page calls it a roguelike I expected this was going to be like... an actual strategy RPG with a campaign, not randomized maps? And that's killed a lot of my interest, so that's cool.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Wait is that not what Into the Breach is either? I haven't played that but I thought that was also sets of crafted levels chained together based on people around me discussing strategy and play

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well I'll be damned. That explains MST and also leaves me wondering how the hell I picked this impression up for so long without ever managing to learn otherwise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cowcaster posted:

games posters these days need less "sagas thread" and more "segas thread"

what's the sagas thread

I thought it was just the one about those inscrutable JRPGs

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

exquisite tea posted:

Documentary about people who marry their video game consoles, Romancing Sega

No don't worry they made that one a JRPG too

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

SirSamVimes posted:

Is Metal Slug 3 the one were the final level was full of clones of one of the PCs and it was aliens all along which you team up with the badguy army against?

Because that's the best one.

Yes it is, and no, no, the thirty minute final level gauntlet kinda ensures it's not.

That's not a joke, by the way, you go through four levels and then the fifth and final mission is straight up longer than the entire rest of the game. It's a bullshit slog. A bunch of it is autoscrolling. In a run and gun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Watch Dogs 2 really wasn't the leap forward I was hoping for from the sequel but it was a drat solid improvement on the first's problems, a solid 8/10

And then Legion happened and I guess that was a fluke or they lost a guy somewhere in the studio troubles or something.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Probably too much thought into this: I feel like the biggest issue with Ubisoft is that they began splitting themselves between some of the largest AAA titles, in terms of content packed in with the recent ACs, where even folks who I know that stick up for them say "do not do everything, do not do all the sidequests", where comments that an extra 20+ hour campaign coming after the main game is seen as a threat... and then the other side of the company for ages now has been "We put out a lot of B- and C-tier titles on Switch, maybe it'll get ported to something else", and those latter ones have been really, really carved back in recent years as the larger stuff takes on more manpower and the corporation as a whole gets dragged into larger and larger boondoggles taking people away from anything. Skull & Bones, Beyond Good and Evil 2, these have been kicking around for a bit now, and meanwhile there's the sex pest/management problems causing more chaos internally...

The first sign to me that there were gonna be problems coming down the road was when they expanded some of those smaller titles to PC for a year or so, up to and including Just Dance for a year, and then got terminally afraid that they'd destroyed their money printing machine because people could mod JD on a computer, so they shuttered it and never brought it back. Nevermind that there's a thriving Switch community for the same thing!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

far cry 2 was a legitimately innovative game that did a ton of cool stuff in a way that's shocking for ubisoft even if there are some real tedious flaws

Also this. I'm so mad that the closest thing we got to picking up that torch was MGSV, nearly a decade later, a game that had its own problems but was still a cool gem which also screams "haha, never agaiiiiiiiiin" as it fades like a photo in Back to the Future

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is that the one where the villains are BLM or is it a different one?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was that you were gunning for CEOs, of banks! Or the people in the lone trailer were. I do not believe that game got far after that initial announcement.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

victrix posted:

the amount of free press they'd get for the outrage would be worth millions if they'd actually commit to any of the subversive ideas their games flirt with at a 12 year old level

It turns out that a) I was indeed remembering this correctly and b) boy, they flirted even harder before killing it:

quote:

Team Rainbow is called to New York City to deal with a terrorist group calling itself the 'True Patriots'. Styling themselves as a populist militia group, the True Patriots have taken it upon themselves to act as judge, jury, and executioner on behalf and avenging the alleged victims of what they see as Wall Street corruption. To complicate the situation, the new leader of Team Rainbow is James Wolfe, a former Navy SEAL who believes ethics are irrelevant in dealing with the True Patriots. As Echo Leader, a man who looks up to Wolfe as a father figure, they must stop the True Patriots at all costs; even at the price of their own personal morality.

[...]

At E3 2013, Ubisoft confirmed that the game remained in development, but would now be produced for eighth generation consoles. It had also been confirmed that players would also be able to play as the True Patriots in some capacity.

On June 9, 2014, it was announced that Patriots and its concept was scrapped.

And the trailer itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhALiOnvs8

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Stickman posted:

I can’t believe everyone forgot Survive!

(I can believe it…)

Survive is interesting, and I say this having played Phantom Pain and Survive both in the last few months. Its biggest problem is that it was clearly made on a budget and so after about the 2/3rds mark it has to streeeeeeeetch its reused assets out. But MGSurvive managed to take "you're powerless and fighting for every little victory" and make it play extremely well as opposed to how incredibly angry I get every time I think about the tutorial/guardrails opening mission of MGSV. Survive had me fleeing for my life desperate to reach air and didn't piss me off in the process.

Then you get to the point where timers or mission lengths rocket the hell up and suddenly, you know what, I think I'm good, this post-game can stop now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Scalding Coffee posted:

They made Survive much easier over time and you are wasting time fighting anything at the start since upgrades are progress gated. Still a lot of fun for a zombie game and the co-op stuff was great too if uneven in dealing out rewards.

Yeah, the big thing you want to remember is "beeline forward ASAP for the ability to make useful things", a mistake I also hit and had to be told to remedy. I hate that I have to say this but "if you still can't craft a pot yet, keep going". That was the first gateway for me where it felt like it had finally taken the rails off and let me do my own thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Croccers posted:

You can't kill The Final Boss of Metal Gear Survive until you teach it the concept of death.

Which rules. That scene absolutely rules.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Serephina posted:

I own that game but never finished it, had a terminal case of cbf about 3/4ths the way through. What's this survival mode and why is it so good?

You know the stealth/combat challenge rooms in the Arkham games? It was that, but you could apply modifiers to it in or against your favor, from as much as "start with potent weapons" to "it's arctic cold, you begin taking damage if you're not moving or keeping near a head source" and it was a real fun sandbox that pushed the limits of a fun system.

I think you could also play the main game with these turned on and it applied different ones to each arena? Maybe that was a difficulty setting and not this mode.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cowcaster posted:

my brother likes gears of war and disgaea games too. we like different things.

The phrasing on this is just making me imagine the dumbest Fight Club reboot imaginable

The self-assault scene is a dude beating himself over whether to play a title kb/m or controller

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I said come in! posted:

Watch_Dog Legion is on Steam now and is only $12 currently. But that game wasn't good right?

It's the second-best game in the series behind 2, but it's a definite step down rather than the you-hope-they-finally-cracked-it third game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh hey, cool, at sometime since I bitched about this last year...

secretly best girl posted:

The rarest achievements profile kinda sucks because it solely counts based on how few people ever got a thing and it means that mine is locked forever since I played a now-delisted game's multiplayer.

All of these save the two obvious outliers are from Dreamkiller MP. Cool.

...someone decided to do something with the Rarest Achievements showcase, because now only the Dreamkiller stuff is invisible.

I would presume they just made it auto-hide anything which is delisted, but I think both Puzzle Pirates (original) and Spiral Knights both count in that too and I cannot figure this out.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

2016 Strider also has this limitation and it loving pains me to not be able to play one of the best metroidvanias of the last decade.

RIP Double Helix, killed just as you got good at your jobs

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm just glad that we're probably yanking off the band-aid on "most insufferable Discourse in gaming" for the year early because I cannot see anything on the horizon which is gonna eclipse this with a AAA marketing budget shoving it around.

Maybe if Tears of the Kingdom comes out hard against orphans, I dunno

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, I think it auto-downloads if you've played in the last two weeks now, and delays/makes you manually update if past that? I know my regular games get patched without a hiccup.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I've only been able to get one demo to successfully download so far, but I will say that Dungeon Drafters is a real fun one, being somewhere between a Mystery Dungeon game and a deckbuilder (unsure how much of the latter thus far, it's giving me classes who have specific colored cards to choose from and I don't know how much you build between runs). An interesting mix, though, it kinda reminds me of the chaos of Roundguard's "Every turn, your skills randomize" modifier.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

explosivo posted:

I played some of that Hotwheels Unleashed on gamepass and it's a pretty good time, it's got sort of a trackmania thing going on where you can make custom tracks and online races pull in custom tracks which is neat and thematically appropriate for Hot Wheels. Unfortunately there's a lot of "drag strip" and "EZ money" tracks online that people make along with insanely intricate 6 minute long tracks that have 3 laps where everybody quits before the first lap is over. It's got a voting system and people online consistently pick the worst custom community tracks instead of the ones that came with the game and then quit once that track sucks which is kinda annoying. The look and design of the cars is really where this game shines though, presumably they're all based on real designs which goes to show how great hotwheels designs are but they also did a good job in the game of making them look and feel like hotwheels on a track so I probably had more fun browsing through the cars in the collection than anything, especially since the gamepass version is the GOTY edition with all the DLC cars. Overall pretty cool but not something I see myself playing again.

I will say the 'campaign' is pretty good stuff overall, if you swap the AI from "easy" to "hard" (a toggle at any time in the menu) the opponents put up a real drat fight, and the time trials later get to the point where you need to realize if there's no checkpoint in between, you should be leaving the track and returning to the track as often as possible, via jumps, boosts, or sometimes just the dumbest car-kour imaginable if you want to hit the "nitro" times.

Also the monster truck expansion is dumb fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I actually found the AI pretty hard on Normal but mind numbingly easy on Easy. Pretty sure I just need to get better at the driving or by the sound of it go off the track more often to cut corners.

Yeah! It's not always impossible to hit the nitro time without shortcuts, I definitely brute-forced a few with fast cars or some of the DLC gifts, but there comes a point where as far as anyone can tell, you just can't do it without puzzling it out. Looking up how the hell to shave off a mere second on this track was what tipped me off to how stupid I'd been. It's so blatant in the track design once you realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqngaIGpq4

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

explosivo posted:

Jesus christ, I had this thought the other night because I noticed there aren't a ton of checkpoints in a lot of the tracks but didn't realize it would be quite like this.

Yeah, it turns out, literally the only rule is "you must hit the checkpoints in order". Period.

There's one stage where in worldwide speed competitions, people have gotten disgusting with strats to lower times. Peak time on one track is 2:29 and instead folks have pushed it to 1:15 or so? Just by completely cris-crossing the whole track.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm waiting for someone to take a dive and say how the PC version is because all of the screens and ad copy (even on Steam!) are using the Switch UI and talking about the touch screen.

FuzzySlippers posted:

edit: the ds dungeon crawler I'd really like to see on Steam is SMT Strange Journey. That's such a bug gently caress crazy game and it could benefit with some QoL improvements.

I feel like if these go somewhere they're gonna do it because they have a very clear "we did the DS ones only, but the next ones are 3DS"... and Strange Journey has a really, really good 3DS port with new art, endings, and content. (As well as QoL improvements.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Serephina posted:

I can see you're really enjoying a new game and all, but even after reading all your posts about it I still have no bloody idea what that game is and what's going on in the screenshots. Which is ok.

You make 3D dungeons and other players try to go in and rob you. You will be expected to be one of those "other players" for the rest of the world. It's competitive Tomb Raider.

RC Cola posted:

What is this?

Meet Your Maker, it's in an open beta during Next Fest.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's not Crimson Skies. It's something original to the studio so they're not relying on outside IP to survive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone know why Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga is delisted?

It was replaced with Divinity II: Developer's Cut as an all-in-one package with improvements, and so they upgraded anyone who had the old one and delisted it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well that got dark fast

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Oxxidation posted:

well at least it's nice that we still have only one poster who made a highly ominous last post followed by weeks of silence

I can at least confirm Kite isn't dead

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Look I ain't seen that dude IRL since the new year but I still get mostly-ungarbled messages, and I ain't crossing the MCP if I can help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Zathril posted:

Which Rune Factory game is better if you have never played any of them, since they are on sale for a similar price?

Go with 4. 5 was a little under baked as it moved into 3D.