Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This happened to me with Dawn of War 3. Worked for 6 months and then steam removed it from my account. Was pretty cheesed (that I gave money to key scammers, not that I didn't have it), but I didn't really like the game that much.

Do you get a message or something if this happens? I'm honestly not sure I would ever notice if something I bought a year ago disappeared out of my account if they didn't tell me. I end up trying to rebuy stuff I already own nearly every sale already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Macichne Leainig posted:

$10 still being considered a microtransaction is truly one of the things of all time

Lots of games have skins that cost $20. It's insane. I think they would sell > 4x as many at 1/4 the price, but I'm no mathmetologist and presumably they've run the numbers.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 18, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

chippy posted:

Not really sure this is the right thread for this, but as it's pretty active and full of PC gamers, hopefully someone can help me. Or at least direct me to a more appropriate thread. I did consider the Xbox thread but it's a PC-centric question.

Does anyone know where, in the UK, I can buy the latest version of the Official Xbox Wireless Adapter? It's been out of stock on the Microsoft store for months so I presume they just aren't selling it any more. Amazon has a load of clones but I am wary of getting something that doesn't work well, has higher latency, etc. I could buy it bundled with a pad from the official store and I will do as a last resort, but I don't really need the extra pad. I'd really like to pick up the adaptor on its own.

This seems to be available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wirel...ps%2C147&sr=8-3

But I think it's an older version, it says Xbox One and it's listed as 2015. As far as I know it would work, but does anyone know if the newer ones have improved latency or anything like that? Intuitively I feel like the newer ones would work better with a current-gen pad but if that's not the case, then I guess this would be a good fallback option. Although there's a lot of reviews saying it comes without packaging which again, makes me suspicious.

*edit* nevermind I can't read. I didn't see that you specifically didn't want the extra pad, but I did have to go for that option to get one from microsoft.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 25, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Serephina posted:

There is a recently introduced browser standard that can tell if a window is in focus or not. It is trivial to disable on all sites (on firefox at least) as the tech has no legitimate use other than to antagonize users. I first noticed it when youtube was refusing to play in the background; that poo poo lasted all of five minutes. Fuckers.

What's the firefox setting to turn this off?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

claw game handjob posted:

The two major studios doing them are jank or collapsing (Spiders and Bioware respectively). A few others dabbled and realized "it is a better use of our time and resources to go a little more stock CRPG".

I feel like Spiders started out trying to make Mass Effect with no budget, but I think every one of their games has improved over the previous one. Mars: War Logs was pretty atrocious back in the day, but I had a really good time with Greedfall. It's nice to see them out there still doing it.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 4, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Propaganda Hour posted:

The vast majority of people categorized as blind have some form of vision at a significantly reduced degree - I think the US census definition is worse than 20/200 even with correction. Probably wearing the blindfold to block out the light which could be a distraction in a bigass venue hall

Stolen valor IMHO.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
It's also annoyingly only one of the 8bitdo ultimate s that has hall sensors.

I think it's the 2.4ghz + Bluetooth? It's the $70 one and you can't get the fun colors

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the 8bitdo pro2 does the same thing but (at least on the pc) it's only visual. I still press the topmost button for y-button prompts in games with xbox inputs or triangle prompts in games with ps3 inputs

Yeah// it's Xinput compatible, so it's only the buttons are labeled backwards. They still work as expected.

It's a great controller. I use it for everything now.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I finally picked up jagged alliance 3.. They refuse to make another new XCOM game so I am hoping this is suitably XCOM like.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I ended up grabbing a decent amount of things in the Visual Novel sale (Steins;Gate , Muv-Luv / Muv-Luv Alternative, the Key bundle). I figured they would be great for the steam deck.

My visual novel experience is mostly limited to like Phoenix Wright / 999 / 13 Sentinels but I enjoyed all of those so hopefully I'm into some more. I've been meaning to play through Steins;Gate for years.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I didn't see it on steam but I guess they just replaced the regular quake 2 listing.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Inevitably at some point in a puzzle game I get stuck and have to check a walk through. Then after I've looked at it once I keep going back to it and it's more a game about reading instructions

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Let the minifig gently caress the bear.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I can't find it in the points shop, I'm not sure where it is.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Det_no posted:

So that HoloCure "Vampire Survivors but vtubers" game was released on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

It's better than Vampire Survivors.

I played an hour of this and it is pretty good. I have no idea what they are talking about or who any of the vtubers are, but a lot of the weapons have similar VS analogies so it was pretty easy to feel at home with a rotating book with lava (holy water) on the floor build that was fun and effective.

There seem to be a lot of characters and the character weapons seem like more of a focus than VS where I generally end up running the same thing all the time. I also on 2 different runs had 2 different "collab" super weapon combinations but I'm not sure what the restrictions on this system are or what all works together.

I can see myself dumping some time in it but I have no clue if it'll have the legs VS did for me. I've got over 100 hours in that game.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Play posted:

This may not be the best place for this but not sure where it should go.

I've got a pretty new xbox one controller, easily less than a year old. But the goddamn right stick got some drift where it thinks I'm pulling the stick down at all times. Some games have deadzone settings (although it needs a massive dead zone to make it a non issue) but many don't, and it's incredibly annoying especially in action games where I'll end up looking at the sky unable to see anything I'm doing if I don't have a free thumb to correct it. It also is annoying in menus which accept the right stick as an input.

I've tried pulling the stick out a small distance and cleaning around it, and I've also pushed it in and sprayed compressed air into the gap as much as I could, which is something I saw online. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone ever fixed an issue like this before? I'd prefer to not open the controller up but I suppose I can do that if I have to, although I don't have a torx screwdriver. Really don't want to buy yet another controller so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it

You can buy the potentiometer sensors from ifixit or elsewhere and replace that module for roughly $15 but it requires soldering.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Holocure is really good but it's also pretty hard. I haven't managed to beat stage 4 yet although I've gotten it to 19+ minutes a couple times.

I need to figure out who the OP characters are and maybe figure out some more new collabs

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Morter posted:

Yeah I struggled with Stage 4 for a bit but managed to beat it with Korone today. She's great.

I beat it with the detective girl with the dog just now (Amelia Watson), but it took me about a dozen deaths. I'll have to check Korone out for Stage 1 (hard)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Rebel Blob posted:

If you haven't played it yet, look at War for the Overworld. I've found the Dungeons series not only subpar but also fails at scratching that Dungeon Keeper itch. War for the Overworld is a modern Dungeon Keeper in all but name.

Is the DLC worth getting? I apparently own the base game but there is a deal on the whole bundle for like $12 at fanatical.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've had good luck with all the recent FROM games on PC so I just went with it. I have a 3080 and also had zero Elden Ring issues :iiam:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jack Trades posted:

Japanese devs are notoriously bad at PC games.

I don't think this is true, even if it was a decade ago. If you look at the modern games that are lovely and broken on PCs they are mostly Western devs. Do Jedi Survivor or Callisto Protocol run at all yet?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone besides me still cares, the new Saints Row is on steam now and on sale for 20 bucks

I played through this through to completion near launch and although I've played worse games I would not pay $20 for it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's the steam controller "desktop configuration" settings which are mostly stupid bullshit designed for steam machine consoles and the opposite of useful on any normal i-already-have-a-keyboard pc.
What you want to do is go to "settings->controller->Non-game controller layouts" and edit the desktop layout to blank it out or set it to normal controller buttons instead of keyboard/mouse BS.

To do different stuff while holding the home button you can edit the "guide button chord layout", but it looks like the behavior you described is the default settings:

I will have to try this also. Mine started continually opening the chat box on diablo every time I hit "A" fairly recently and I've just been dealing with it by shutting down steam before I start it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Serephina posted:

Dang, already snatched. Thanks for sharing tho, good man.

I PM'd you a gift link for Disco, I had an extra also.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm very much enjoying starfield, but I don't like the space combat much. I don't feel like I have any good tools to avoid enemy hits.

Running around on planets shooting dudes and collecting loot is good fun though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Kragger99 posted:

I'm having no issues with Starfield on my 3080. I'm finding it really engaging, yet frustrating. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking of what I want to do next. If you're an older gamer that likes stumbling upon new quests as you're doing another quests/checking out points of interest, you'll probably enjoy it.

I also have a roughly 3 year old pc with a vanilla 3080 in it and it runs perfectly well. I've had like 1 crash in 20 hours and the framerate seems fine.

I know it runs like poo poo if you don't have an SSD though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Sab669 posted:

I mean, Unity has hosed up bigly but death threats are never good. Especially from an internal employee???

And who the hell is the second guy?

Definitely grabbing that Humble Bundle though - I've got a week off from work coming up soon, I know what I'll be doing :toot:

Rami is awesome and was half of Vlambeer

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just bought it, but I hate puzzle games generally so I assume it was a terrible decision regardless of the low price.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I did. Going by their Amazon page, the Switch one (Bluetooth + 2.4g) didn't mention anything about also working wired, but their official site actually does, so I added additional confusion to something that's already confusing. Sorry.

So, both of them work wired if needed. Here's the two options in a tl;dr form:

If you want Xbox layout and don't mind missing out on the Hall Effect sticks, go with the cheaper option (i.e. Ultimate 2.4g). About 50 USD / EUR.

If you prefer the Switch layout, also need Bluetooth, and really would prefer to have longer lasting sticks, go with the more expensive model (i.e. Ultimate 2.4g + Bluetooth). About 70 USD / EUR.

Prices obviously vary depending on where you'll buy them.

To add to the confusion, there is also another 8bitdo 2.4g ultimate that only comes in purple and mint green that is $30. I bought that for my batocera machine and it has been working just fine and feels pretty good. I don't know what other features it is missing that are in the mid range model. It does not have a dock for sure.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 20, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, can you give me a product page for that specific one? That is way cheaper than the other two models when, from the picture, it just looks like the normal $50 one in a different color.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wireless-Controller-Windows-PC-Raspberry/dp/B0C2V6JLNJ/

https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-c-2.4g-wireless-controller/

Like I said, I'm not sure if it is missing any other features, but it feels OK so far to me.

*edit* no back buttons! That's the other difference.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just bought some controller called the NYXI Chaos off amazon for <$30 which says it has hall effect sticks and gyro and back buttons and weird RGB lights around each stick. I'll have to report back on if it is actually decent or not.

I can't resist a possible controller deal.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Macichne Leainig posted:

What does the Twitter button do?

The T is for Turbo. A twitter button would be marked for X the everything app.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Commander Keene posted:

You can also patch out the sigil drawing, which is what I'm doing despite playing on a DSi.

can you link this? I hate the sigil drawing. Are you using this one?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3408/

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

credburn posted:

I still have my boxed copy of Omikron :cool:

thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

I was going to suggest this as a good Quantic Dream game.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I like The Crew: Motorfest, but a lot of that is because there are not enough arcade racers out there in the world. It's definitely just a 1:1 ripoff of Forza Horizon and it eliminated the big "We have a compressed map of the whole US!" differentiator to be just Hawaii, but I've had a good time with it since I bought that and Alan Wake 2 a couple weeks ago during the last sale. I think they would have been cheaper if I had waited until this sale though.

Oh well.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

FutureCop posted:

Hmm, Epic sale along with the 33% off coupon is pretty tempting: Sifu for $13, Stranger of Paradise for $16, HITMAN World of Assassination for $19, Returnal and Lords of the Fallen around $25, and so on. Wonder if I should just go for it or stay away: just to check since I haven't been keeping up, is there any big reason to avoid the Epic store at the moment, apart from the split library? I suppose I lose out on easy Steam refunds.

The main reason for me to try to avoid it is that it's a pain in the rear end to get things working on the steam deck. I've not had any real problems with the epic store for things like Alan Wake 2 that make me use it though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

AParadox posted:

40% of my play time was spent between elden ring, bg3 and age of wonders 4 but it really wanted emphasize the sheer quantity of 2$ VS clones and roguelikes I bought this year

This was very similar to mine. It took me a while to figure out that Holocure / Vampire Survivors / Brotato / Halls of Torment are all "action roguelikes"

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The target demo is dudes that like twin peaks, which is everyone on this website

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Phlegmish posted:

Game of the Year has to be BG3. Granted, only other nominee I've actually played is Hogwarts: Legacy (competent but boring), but still.

Labor of Love goes to DRG, obvs.

Oustanding Visual Style: I haven't played any of the nominees in this category, but I like sexy robots, so I picked Atomic Heart.

Most Innovative Gameplay: It's insane that Starfield even got nominated for this. Which of the other four contenders do you guys recommend?

I voted for Remnant II for innovative, because I played it, and it's good. I don't know that it's particularly innovative though considering it's pretty similar to the first Remnant game. Anything other than Starfield is good with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I don't know if it's because I've bought less stuff the last couple sales or what, but I found a bunch of stuff I wanted in this sale for some pretty good deals. Starcom:Nexus / Tony Hawk 1&2 / Ultrakill / Anno 1800 / Pizza Tower... and a few <$5 throw ins, and I don't think I paid over $15 for any game I got.

Now if only I could find some time to play all this stuff.