Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't recall reading anything to that effect, but it would be a nice change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i dont know about weapons but armor is being completely overhauled with phantom liberty, its all going to be purely cosmetic and you'll use cyberware implants to affect the stats they did before according to pre-release footage some people were shown

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hate when games say that all unsaved progress will be lost when you go to exit but there's nothing in the game that actually explicitly explains whether it autosaves so the first time you do it it's not clear if you're going to lose everything because you were supposed to save somewhere and just missed it

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

The best is when a game will show you how much time has passed since the last save.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CLARPUS posted:

The best is when a game will show you how much time has passed since the last save.

They should do this, but only after you hit Confirm. "17 minutes of progress lost."

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Gotta love it too when there's a save and a exit, but not a save + exit, and when you go to exit you get warned you will lose all unsaved data even though you saved literally half a second ago.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a trick to make Hades play borderless windowed? i assumed clicking "fullscreen" and "borderless" would do the trick but it still behaves like a fullscreen game (mostly minimizing itself anytime i click another window)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

whoever called it "borderless windowed" and not "defenestrated" is a chump

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CLARPUS posted:

yes! if they'd just made that the standard from the beginning if would have been perfect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

whoever called it "borderless windowed" and not "defenestrated" is a chump

fenêtres sans frontieres

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jagged alliance 3 is excellent, but be aware there's no pause in the real time bits - which makes infiltrating bases really frustrating. Hopefully they are going to fix it in some way, could be worth waiting for a bit if that sounds like a dealbreaker.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

mystes posted:

I hate when games say that all unsaved progress will be lost when you go to exit but there's nothing in the game that actually explicitly explains whether it autosaves so the first time you do it it's not clear if you're going to lose everything because you were supposed to save somewhere and just missed it

Red Dead 2 does this and I hate it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

buglord posted:

How toxic are players in Legion TD2? WC3 custom games weren’t really known for chill players unless you were playing Tag the Peon or Wolf RP.

Depends on how high up the rankings you go. For the free weekend I can't imagine reaching the ranks where people get salty about stuff. If you have a question talk to your partner.

Play at least one game against the AI before you go online. Figure out how to beat the first wave with 50-100 gold left over for workers. Playing against the AI you can just reset until you figure it out. Doing these experiments with a human partner is Not Cool.

Make sure you agree on when to send, and if send now means this wave or the next one. Turn on auto and keep it on until you have a plan with your buddy. Or you hit a no brainer send wave like 10.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play LegionTD2 in Casual mode these days which is 4v4 "unranked" (you have a rating but it's not displayed anywhere). Sometimes someone says something salty around the end of the match but there's very rarely any toxic poo poo mid-match. And occasionally someone says something salty that's legitimately helpful advice for your next game.

It has a lot of cool, small systems overall for keeping the toxicity down.

e: for example there's a little mole avatar that functions as a game coach - when you make an egregious mistake it pops up and gently tells you about it. So the kinds of big obvious mistakes that people rage over get corrected pretty quickly even by new players, and it makes people realize their own egregious mistakes immediately instead of blaming them on other people.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 18, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

sebmojo posted:

jagged alliance 3 is excellent, but be aware there's no pause in the real time bits - which makes infiltrating bases really frustrating. Hopefully they are going to fix it in some way, could be worth waiting for a bit if that sounds like a dealbreaker.

That's what you've got mods for mon ami. When the bourgeois developers sit on their lazy asses, the people rise up and pick up the slack.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CLARPUS posted:

Yeah, this is great, especially combined with a "save and quit" option. It's insane that this isn't an industry standard for every game that allows free saving.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

In a decade the industry standard will be charging microtransaction money for more saves and we will be offered bundles when quitting so we can get savings with our saves.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

ZearothK posted:

In a decade the industry standard will be charging microtransaction money for more saves and we will be offered bundles when quitting so we can get savings with our saves.

Limited saves per day, click this ad/spend 10 e-coins for another 3 free saves today.

Died? Want to reload from 10 minutes ago? That’s be 25 e-coins, conveniently sold in quantities of 10 and 100

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dalaram posted:

Limited saves per day, click this ad/spend 10 e-coins for another 3 free saves today.

Died? Want to reload from 10 minutes ago? That’s be 25 e-coins, conveniently sold in quantities of 10 and 100
What has modern gaming come to when you have to buy a bunch of tokens to get additional lives. That would never have happened when I was a kid.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Free Life for 100 Koopa Koins.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Just wait until graphical options are locked behind microtransactions

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's not a big deal, you can get the tokens playing the game too. You get the required number of tokens for 1 save every 7 days of logging in and collecting login rewards. It resets if you miss a day though

You can also earn them if you're good enough to place in the pvp leader boards but you probably won't with all the whales.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wintermutant posted:

What do you think a $10 PS5 patch is

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wintermutant posted:

I'm sorry, your FreeRTX plan only includes a maximum of 9 rays per scene. The following scene exceeds this limit and RTX has been disabled.

Thank you for your understanding.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Last page but

Onion Gaming Network/The Hard Drive headline:

"Bethesda Just Going To Go Ahead And Post Starfield Release State Apology Tweet Now"

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 18, 2023

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Wintermutant posted:

"Billy's such a noob he spent this week's lunch money enabling motion blur!"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

If you get the battle bass, the process of saving the game is 5% faster, if you get the premium battle bass, you get a 10% save speed boost you can use once per ten battle pass levels. Saving battle pass progress requires you to get the seasonal pass for the battle pass, but it's 2% cheaper if you bought the game of the year edition at launch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wintermutant posted:

This is those $10 next-gen updates on console.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

What do you think a $10 PS5 patch is

You were supposed to buy the Cross-Gen Bundle, that one includes both the PS4 and PS5 versions!

Overpriced, you say? But you're technically getting two games in one, a bargain!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
$10 still being considered a microtransaction is truly one of the things of all time

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Macichne Leainig posted:

$10 still being considered a microtransaction is truly one of the things of all time

Lots of games have skins that cost $20. It's insane. I think they would sell > 4x as many at 1/4 the price, but I'm no mathmetologist and presumably they've run the numbers.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 18, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I hope they do all that stuff so i can finally be freed from buying new games

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Macichne Leainig posted:

Microtransaction was always a meaningless marketing buzzword. Unless you're talking about fractional pennies, they're all just transactions.

edit: Plus the original idea was that microtransactions fall below the threshold of a large purchase with associated sticker shock and so people are willing to do more of them over time, and I think $10 still meets that criteria. People often complain about games being $70 instead of $60 now but largely seem to view a $10 upgrade as less objectionable.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 18, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Substandard posted:

Lots of games have skins that cost $20. It's insane. I think they would sell > 4x as many at 1/4 the price, but I'm no mathmetologist and presumably they've run the numbers.

Games aren't being made for the average joe anymore. Games are being made to sucker in the whales and the average joes are just there for the whales to show off their skins.
That's why the skins are being priced so stupidly high.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Substandard posted:

They keep doing it so it must be working

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Games aren't being made for the average joe anymore. Games are being made to sucker in the whales and the average joes are just there for the whales to show off their skins.
That's why the skins are being priced so stupidly high.

same with sports games and the "cards" in them. Every year all the dev attention goes into the game modes with the cards, and less and less effort into the single player portions of the games. MLB The Show had a major reload bug in the Road to the Show (single player career mode) where it's impossible to load any saved games. It only auto loads the last auto save. Any manual saves can't be loaded. People complained on the official game forums, and there was never a response from the devs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Substandard posted:

They don't want to sell more of them. Having the skin is only one half of the equation: other people not having it is arguably even more important. If you spend $5 on a skin and everyone else does too, that makes a lot of people less likely to buy another one in the future since it's not all that different from not having the skin in the first place. If you spend $20 on a skin and hardly anyone else has it, it justifies the price.

edit: This is not at all new or specific to game MTX. Pretty much all luxury consumer brands do the same thing.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 18, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Substandard posted:

The point is for them to be outrageously expensive because a.) some people will buy them anyways and b.) people think they're getting a deal when they drop to their actual intended price during a special event. A skin just sitting in a shop isnt intended to be sold, it's intended to establish an anchor point for its value so it looks like a bargain during special sale day.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Kragger99 posted:

same with sports games and the "cards" in them. Every year all the dev attention goes into the game modes with the cards, and less and less effort into the single player portions of the games. MLB The Show had a major reload bug in the Road to the Show (single player career mode) where it's impossible to load any saved games. It only auto loads the last auto save. Any manual saves can't be loaded. People complained on the official game forums, and there was never a response from the devs.

I used to buy Out of the Park Baseball every year from like version 11 to 21 and the last 3 or so were increasingly hosed for their attention on the Perfect Team fantasy card bullshit and I just finally learned my lesson. It really sucks and I'm bitter about it because they were on a really great trajectory for year-to-year improvement until that came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LISA redux is out now (free update if you already own it)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/335670/announcements/detail/3660913793283254446