Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DerekSmartymans posted:

any “wish I knew before starting” tips for either?

I remember the girl (You can give her about 15 different names) had an ability that basically trivialized the gameplay once you unlocked it. There's so little info on the game online that I can't find a skill tree anywhere but I think it was one that let her respawn immediately after carrying the ball into the goal or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Cult of the Lamb had a nice visual style and snappy combat but was kind of shallow beyond that. If you've already played for 4+ hours and aren't enjoying it you're unlikely to run into anything that will change your mind.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

So we got dark souls 2, marauders, tired git gud posts, what’s next for the new steam thread speedrun

Cuphead is racist

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

was that a real thing??

https://www.polygon.com/22937541/the-cuphead-show-interview-racism-animation-history

https://kotaku.com/its-impossible-to-separate-cuphead-from-the-era-that-in-1820365021

https://unwinnable.com/2017/11/10/cuphead-and-the-racist-spectre-of-fleischer-animation/

https://www.ggrecon.com/articles/the-cuphead-show-producer-discussess-racist-animation/

https://www.gazettextra.com/blogs/s...9c22d04049.html

https://netflixjunkie.com/netflixs-...ly-problematic/

Most insufferable debate in gaming imo

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the consensus is that it's good but the main problem is that it is an absolutely nightmarish game to 100%

To expand on this a bit, it's probably the best Crash game but 90% of the levels are designed by trolls and it gets demoralizing after a while. Part of the fun of Crash games is trying to be attentive and find every box in a level so you can get the gem at the very end. This is an all-or-nothing reward, and the devs of Crash 4 love nothing more than hiding a handful of boxes in places that are either out of the camera frame or otherwise wouldn't be easily found without using a guide. This means that in each level, you'll reach the end after carefully looking in what seemed like every possible location only to be hit with an indicator saying something like 257/259 and you have to do the entire level over again to try and find where those two boxes are hiding.

If you don't care about that it's the best Crash game to date and was clearly made by people who loved and respected the originals. If you do care it will drive you insane because it's going to happen to you in almost every level after the first two or three.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Gromit posted:

About to install Outer Wilds. I bought it during the sale because everyone raved about it and I think the genre sounded appealing? But I don't remember a single thing about the game so I don't think I've ever gone into a game as blind as this. I hope it stands up to your hype!

The less you know going in the better.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Gromit posted:

Well, I'm 40 minutes into Outer Wilds and I think I hate it. Flying that ship and visiting ruins on other weird planetoids and the controls are really annoying me. I hate playing first person games with a controller but the flying sections really need it so I'm always swapping between them. This might be my first refund.

Sorry, no. You have to like it. Try harder.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Ooh hey that is much sooner than I thought it would be.

Yeah, I was expecting mid-year at best even after the 20 different leaks.

Steamworld Dig 2 was really good as well, wasn't following the studio at all but glad to hear there's another one coming.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

Man I don't think about that stuff I just sit down and play video games (read: stare at my Steam library for hours)

If I scroll up and down the list enough times I'll eventually find something to play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Obra Dinn confirmed that I would make a terrible detective. The guy who gave me the book was so disappointed in my work that he straight up died.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I did think it was a little overindulgent when Frey said "Wow I'm literally dead no cap" on the killscreen.

I respawned and she said "So...that just happened."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Flair posted:

This is why you always wait 6-7+ year for a good deal.

I bought it for $5 when it was first released on Steam, like a sucker.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I play all games on PC with the DVD tray open so cutscenes don't load.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I am ashamed to say I literally can't play it due to this. It seems like a legit fun game but even with the "blob slider" the gaps get filled in my head.

They should have added another notch or two to the slider. The spider is now completely invisible, but you still get attacked.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Guardians of the Galaxy game was graphically demanding and had some relatively unique art direction, not sure it meets the "stylized" criteria though.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits might fit the bill though I haven't actually gotten around to playing it. I've heard good things and from what I played it was optimized well and would serve as a good benchmark.

Crash 4 doesn't have any fancy ray-tracing like Guardians but still looks great and would be a good test for a new computer. Spyro Trilogy as well though I think that's less demanding.

Don't play Fortnite personally but it's free and they recently updated it with Lumen lighting so you might as well download it and try it out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Only going to play the new Harry Potter game if it's recommended by Dr. Zombie.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I recall HZD being kinda bad (or maybe even pretty bad?) at launch. How was GOW when it first came out?

GoW had solid performance on launch even if it had high system requirements to turn everything to max settings. HZD had severe issues with hard crashes to desktop at launch but it received regular, frequent patches for months until it was completely stable.

I'd put more faith in a Sony PC port than most companies today.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Does returnal have anything that requires internet? My internet is occasionally flaky for reasons I don't know yet and I don't want a 60+ run to go weird.

I've only done two runs but there's some degree of multiplayer. You can find Dark Souls-style bloodstains showing a hologram of how another player died, then you get the option to fight a roided up version of whatever killed them for credits. Whatever killed them also killed me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ulio posted:

Basically something you can watch or listen to something in another monitor. No real end, some form of co-op basically not solo but not pvp. I just don't like the complexity or grind of PoE or Warframe. Something you can kinda play and progress but doesn't have a million currencies/systems.

Risk of Rain 2

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

How does Returnal run on lower-specced machines? I'm rocking an i5-6600K and a 1660 Ti; not exactly a powerhouse.

I'm running a TR1950x and RTX 3070 which is kind of an odd combination of parts. Unfortunately getting stutters like a lot of people, I'm assuming it's on account of the processor having a relatively low single-core speed. Was really looking forward to the game but at the moment I'm waiting for another patch and trying to keep playtime low so I can still refund it if performance doesn't improve. For a fast-paced bullet hell game the stuttering makes it kind of unplayable.

Stutters have been reported on much better hardware though so maybe it's just busted for certain setups.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

repiv posted:

the worst of the stuttering is related to having raytracing enabled, if you turn off every RT setting it's much better behaved

Tried all sorts of settings, turning off RT helps a bit but isn't a complete fix. They released a patch shortly after launch which dealt with the fatal errors experienced by a lot of players, the stuttering is mentioned in lots of negative reviews so I would imagine they're prioritizing it for whichever patch comes next.

Was kind of surprised to have any performance issues given how comprehensive the benchmarking tool is, it's clear they've put effort into the port instead of it being another shoddy afterthought. Sony has been good about their ports, I'm assuming the issues with this one will be smoothed out over time like they did with HZD.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Exodee posted:

That video doesn't load for me, but I did find this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DNh1Z14IQ

And yeah, if it's that subtle then I probably haven't noticed it much during gameplay. It's maybe also harder to notice when using mouse controls.

I've also seen people report some much nastier hitches on PC though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGqhh5Htx4o
And that's definitely not something I've had much of at all.

Maybe it's just Youtube compression but I can't even see it stuttering in that PS5 video or the other one. What I've experienced on PC has been very noticeable, more like half-second lockups rather than minor stutters. Was thinking my 1950x was the problem but RandomBlue said they're getting frequent stutters with a 5950x so I don't know if an upgrade would do anything to help. This is playing off an SSD as well so that's not the issue.

What I managed to play seemed like a lot of fun, I still wouldn't try and dissuade anyone from buying it. Can always do a Steam return if you have issues with performance and it seems to run fine for the majority of people, I think I'm kind of an outlier case. There are more negative reviews complaining about the mandatory EGS installation than ones complaining about performance.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Volte posted:

Have you looked at CPU temperature at all? Not sure how likely it is on an AMD processor but on my old i7-7700K, I had persistent stuttering issues (which were also more like half-second freezes) in certain games like AC:Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I ultimately tracked the issue down to thermal throttling on games with very high CPU usage. The CPU would clock down to like 800MHz very briefly. Of course that CPU was known for having awful thermal performance.

Thought that might have been the issue but CoreTemp showed everything within normal parameters, none of the cores were anywhere close to the temperature where they automatically start to throttle down. I think it's just some underlying engine trouble which is going to express itself on certain systems while others are fine because PCs have endless hardware permutations and it's hard to get things running consistently for everyone. There's only been one patch and it seemed more like quickfix stuff, I don't think there's much to be done besides wait for another one and hope it fixes things.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Does the game let you gently caress the fridge eventually or is it a tragic scenario where the fridge wants to gently caress, but can not?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Leal posted:

Thats a lie

These spiders crawled over my coal miner and took the place over. Shortly after taking this screenshot they both proceeded to scream and loving leapt from down there to where I was :gonk:

A few of them spawn directly on top of the uranium node in the Red Forest and they can get stuck inside the miner if you build it before they can load in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lunsku posted:

New puzzle bundle in Humble is pretty nice if just for the two main bits:
Baba Is You
Dorfromantik
Creaks
Last Campfire
Monument Valley
Monument Valley II
Darq

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...puzzlers_bundle

Probably not news to anyone but Baba is You is one of the best puzzle games ever made, worth getting the bundle for that alone. I've had Dorfromantik and Monument Valley on my wishlist for a while as well, maybe I'll pick this one up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Decided to pick up that Humble Bundle, not sure if I've bought one before this. Already had Baba is You so here's a spare key for whoever wants to redeem it, I just ask that whoever takes it gives the game a serious attempt.

H2TQM-I6RRX-PT3PQ

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

:negative:

I just wanted another fun game with combat/movement like the Arkham Games. Why did they have to do this? :smith:

Eight years since Arkham Knight and this is what they have to show for it. Hoping it turns out good but the footage shown so far certainly isn't promising.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kite went looking for solutions on the wrong website and got turned into Freakazoid.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mordja posted:

I thought Biomutant had pretty strong initial sales too and figured it would be one of those labor of loves the devs would stick with for a long time but nope, it got like one patch and then as far as I know the studio dissolved.

I assumed it was a complete flop but apparently it sold a million units in the first few weeks and made back the money spent developing it. Surprising when every review I saw for it was negative.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

repiv posted:

returnal just got a patch which is supposed to address both the raytracing and non-raytracing related stuttering issues

Been waiting for this, hopefully it fixes things. Wasn't entirely sure what to expect from the game going in, I thought it might just be a slapped-together launch title meant to show how many particles the PS5 can generate at once. Ended up putting about 30 hours in and getting the secret ending despite it being one of the most busted games I've played in terms of performance on my machine. Not a game I could recommend to everyone but if you enjoy bullet hell roguelikes like Gungeon or BoI I'd suggest giving it a shot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I am throwing a party tomorrow and I'm thinking of buying an extra game or two for local multi-player geared for a party atmosphere.

I already have all the Jackbox games, Gang Beasts, Nidhogg, etc. What are some other good ones to consider? I've heard Overcooked and Moving Out are also good.

Duck Game

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Still mad they never made a PC version of the Crash Team Racing remake.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

What is this horse poo poo? I should get around to removing this game from my wishlist anyway

Another game that seems to be even more on sale on EGS where it's listed at $30. Still wouldn't recommend it at that price unless you really liked Dead Space and want to play an inferior version of it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Steam store really wants me to buy this game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Remaking Mirror's Edge would be a very strange decision. A big part of the design was the minimalist graphical style so you could easily see where you needed to go, that doesn't really lend itself well to a full remake with "better graphics".

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Bought it and d/l'ed it, but I'm stuck at work all day :(

Same, and I work from home so it's even worse.

After this I'm going to be in a strange position where I've played the remake of RE4 and played RE4 in VR but never the original version. The game wasn't designed with VR in mind and I thought it was a bit easy, glad to hear the remake is difficult enough that even series veterans seem to be having trouble with it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I've put off watching the show because I never played the original and wanted to go through the story blind now that the remake was coming to PC. Figured with the wild success of the show they wouldn't risk putting out a shoddy PC port and....welp. Guess I'll wait a few weeks to see if they fix it and just watch the show if they don't.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Iron Galaxy were behind the legendarily bad Arkham Knight port so hiring them for TLoU is very lol

Baffling decision. TLoU might be an even bigger name than God of War depending on who you ask and they hired a group of known incompetents to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Volte posted:

For what it's worth, I played Arkham Knight on PC years after it came out and experienced no issues at all, so they apparently were able to fix it in the end.

They released it, delisted it from Steam shortly after, released numerous patches trying to fix it, then basically gave up from what I remember. It runs well enough on modern hardware but that's more on account of technology advancing enough that it can power through despite the poor optimization. To be fair to them Arkham Knight isn't even the worst port I've played at release, that title still goes to Dishonored 2 which was so busted on launch that it remains the only game I've ever refunded on Steam.

I guess it's hard to say if it's IG's fault entirely but this is going to be another black mark on their name. TLoU is a massive IP at this stage and I was expecting the makers/publishers/port teams to be given as much money and time as necessary to release a quality port. Surprised to see a hack job pushed out the door like this.