Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I played the Planet of Lana demo and I think you probably should too.

What's in it is a really gorgeous platformer clearly inspired by Another World (Out of This World). None of the platforming or puzzling in the demo is particularly challenging (at least from my perspective) but the animation is really smooth and there's so much beautifully drawn forest to run through (admittedly maybe too much). I don't feel that the demo hooked me into playing the full game because the gameplay felt pretty basic, as I think it might be targeted to a younger audience, but it's worth having a looking at.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes. That is the game. The combat is side content you do between hanging out with your super friends trying to unlock new ability cards.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That was the Taiwanese developed Devotion

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Is every level a swastika?
every second one is a manji

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

they called it a reverse builder because later on part of the puzzle is packing up all your buildings and leaving.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:rip: marvel heroes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

has anyone even made a worse nemesis system game?
watch underscore dogs 3

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I enjoyed Deathloop but it has like three competing design goals that all seem at odds with each other, where it wants you to always be on edge but the maps have limited spawns, where it wants you to explore but also half the map is blocked off at any given time, and where it wants you to experiment with approaches but there's never a reason to do anything more than just blow up people because the spawns are limited and it wants you exploring.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

so is shadow of war supposed to be setting off windows defender...?

It didn't last time I played it in, oh wow, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yakuza cutscenes are part of why the series is great imo

Get fuckin hyped when the shirts start flying off, exposing their tattoos
this is the one bad thing about like a dragon: ishin

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Returning to Wolcen to check out its endgame update - they reset my online character to level 40 and since I forgot how to play it anyway I decided to restart. Found the game is actually 300% less janky in every single way if I simply chose not to play online, which is nice but also raises questions as to why my online latency delays cutscenes starting until after the level has rendered onscreen.

The stat tree is still really boring - the usual +2 or +5% with a handful of nodes that may grant something as drastic as +75% Dodge if you just got hit. The skill system is okay but overwhelmingly filled with "options" such as +10% Damage or -10% Resource Cost. My favourite activity in this kind of game is putting points in things, so I'm hugely disappointed here that my points feel very arbitrary. It does seem as if they've drastically reduced the sponginess of bosses though, which is nice.

I am enjoying the story the second time through. I feel like they may have reworked the earlier portions of it because I didn't remember most of it. It's still dumb (in a good way) and the MC is a classic mid-10s bro-sass protagonist. It is however hard to empathise with someone whose dad says "hey, don't loving look for your sister or I will end you" and then when the squad shows up to end you while you're in the middle of looking for your sister he's all like "I can't believe dad would do this, there has to be someone else behind it". He loving told you he'd literally kill you if you did this, in person, to your face.

Loot is okay. It comes in all the classic colours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

How does the combat feel? I was looking for a decent Diablo-ish game to play on the deck and it looks like it has controller input. Reviews are pretty negative but maybe that's the offline vs online thing.
at my default ping of 300 it's absolute dogshit. complete garbage. i levelled to 60 in world of warcraft on a 950 ping and it was a more enjoyable experience. offline it's pretty decent - it has an active dodge system that works in well with its heavy use of attack telegraphing, it has an interesting pull/push resource mechanic that would be really engaging if the left-mouse button wasn't locked to being a basic resource generating attack dictated by the weapon you're holding. it never achieves the weightiness of a diablo 3 but it has acceptable levels of ragdoll. so far i have no major feelings on the combat other than when you deal enough damage a little shield icon above the enemy pops and they get stunned for a short while, mostly bosses and mid-bosses, and while that's a pretty cool mechanic i was planning on dealing all that damage to begin with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Zereth posted:

An important question is if those stat nodes or +10% damage options actually work now. IIRC at launch a lot of them didn't. You'd put points in and nothign would happen, but since it's an action game and no individual node was a huge change it was hard to tell.

It still has the magic and weapon skill resourcesbe one bar and using one pushes you into the other side so if you dual-wield a weapon and spell thing you can just spam skill forever, right?

Have you tried Grim Dawn or Chronicon?

In my experience, there's. Problem with depth. Like, you know how your equipment determines your active skills? Other than introducing a few new types as it goes on that's. All you get. Bolters, flamers, plasma, etc, that's all and they always have the same skills on them. Nothing huge/game-changing in the passive tree, either. Although I did only play one character, so maybe others are less bad about this?
They seem to, since I did have a problem with half my points not doing anything the first time around.

You can dual-wield a weapon and a spell thing and spam skills forever - but since there's no 'magic' weapon other than Staff it means if you want to be a spell-caster with a dagger or a pistol or something a little out there you've just dedicated your left-click button to draining your main resource because you can't rebind it away from the basic resource generating attack - you can't even have it as force-move. It probably works fine if you're a rage character wanting to cast some spells to get resources back rather than left-click but as a mage it sucks when firing a gun immediately deletes 10% of your mana and you're forced to have a button that fires your gun.

e: The rest of it is great though. Voice-acting owns and it all has the energy of an early 2000s action game, they really go out of their way to try and give you some really cool environments, and the whole world-building is very Warhammer with the world consisting of major factions who hate each other that you get to thrash indiscriminately, and one of the more compelling "demons invade the world" storylines I've seen.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 21, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mescal posted:

which yakuza games have pool?
i'm pretty sure every single one except the one set in meiji japan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I've. never. seen. the. tower. what are you guys talking about there's an entire orc based on the original boss?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I got Wolcen based on the low price point and some cautious praise in the thread and nobody even mentioned the *hilarious* costuming of some of the female characters. It was so stupid it was almost nostalgic.
Big fan of how the bruiser armour at high level is just straight-up "hey, remember titty windows?"

The game serves some wonderful 2000s vibes with its choices and aggressively regional accents.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

I thought Deckard Cain died?
what are they gonna do, create a new character for the franchise?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

imo setpieces should be individually poor but offer an unusual mechanic interaction at the top collection level so that they are not desirable to wear unless you want to take advantage of that mechanic. the payoff for gaining access to an unusual mechanic being forced to wear a patchwork of subpar gear. or you could just make them like actually good individual pieces and then have a highly skill-specific bonus for using them so that there's no real decision making involved you just use that skill because it has a good bonus built into your good gear. both are good design choices.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Other games call the 'remove the tedious content' slider "the difficulty level".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I'm failing to see the appreciable difference between "you get 99% trash and then 1% of the time a shiny drops and you go ooh wow" and "the filter lets you more easily ignore the 99% trash and then the same 1% of the time a shiny drops and you go ooh wow".
It's the difference between going to the bathroom to take a poo poo and taking a poo poo in your diaper. Yes, they're both making GBS threads but one of them has you stop doing your activities and go to a room where you read the SomethingAwful forums until it ends while the other one doesn't even ask you to interrupt your live speech for the 2024 Republican nomination.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How am I ever gonna finish Sam & Max now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

honestly i'm more worried about the people who look at that game and go "you know, i'd play this if it weren't for the gore" than the ones who are playing it as is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I played the demo ages okay and it was okay but I wasn't excited about it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

that's foreshadowing so you're not surprised when bayonetta shows up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Action strafe combat is the exact type of game Grimrock is trying to be.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Orv posted:

Extreme nerd nitpick time; if a lightsaber blade is weightless and the Force is what lets you use one without slicing your own face off (which I assume has been contradicted in various EU stuff like eighty thousand times) why aren't the streets out back of the Jedi Temple filled with the bodies of poo poo padawans?
They're recycled for stem cells and midichlorians to run the bacta tanks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Always carry a bunch of energy drinks and never be afraid to buy back-alley shotguns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

.torrent

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Volte posted:

They weren't fighting to avoid creating a refund policy, they were fighting to avoid paying $3m in damages. And the fine wasn't even for refusing to issue refunds, it was for not making it clear that refunds could be issued if you were in Australia (i.e. their global refund policy was displayed to people in Australia). Australian law only requires that refunds be given for defective or misleading products, they're under no obligation to have a "no questions asked" refund policy.

edit: not to go to bat for a big company or anything, but I think their refund policy is pretty good and they could easily comply with the law while still having a much more hostile refund policy (see: Nintendo)
valve was also getting ahead of other places with much more permissive refund policies - like the eu and nz - starting up their own court cases if the australian one went badly for them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I always beheaded orcs that talked too much. My least favourite though were the ones who would just make a noise for like half a minute and then if they were feeling up to it drop in a single word.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

if the things aren't installed in the first place then you can just delete the directories yourself. without the hooks of installation they're just folders of loose and unimportant files.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

before it was named, there was teaser released last year where everyone said the same stuff, so a dude went through and did a basic pass on recreating it in unreal. as the comments point out, most of the 'trickery' in making the original video appear so real is the non-gamey stuff like not having the barrel of the gun locked to the viewport and the natural movements of the camera which are possibly the result of a vr headset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6lYs97YNo

either way, the game as it's presented now doesn't look especially compelling outside of having a neat rendering technique.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Case of the Golden Idol DLC dropping next week:

https://www.polygon.com/23691144/ca..._source=twitter

Hell yes
more please

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

As far as I'm aware 10 is still a free upgrade despite Microsoft saying the offer would end, but legit keys are like $15 in SA-Mart.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i downloaded the street fighter 6 demo and i'm gonna do it. i'm gonna pre-order.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i hope they finally make it so that opening the overlay on my tv doesn't also always open a friendlist that doesn't scale properly and covers the entire screen and other buttons unless i close it every single time i open the overlay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It really deserves to be paired with the next quote from the production company "we were prepared to dismiss it as just another vampire game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It's a sound idea.
Except they forgot to any of the actual ImmSim into Deathloop so you just follow the quest marker and press button to kill dude, because the game lacks any mechanics besides that.
it does have a bunch of stealth and distraction mechanics, and you can set up some elaborate kill-zone traps, but none of it matters or asks you to engage with it because you move and kill like a Quake character and the most dangerous opponent outside of the instant-death pits is essentially a mirror-match that doesn't have your extra lives.