Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I helped two friends get into Nioh 2 after playing it for some time myself. They were too impatient to ever continue playing any Soulslike before but getting them over the initial hump was enough to spark their interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've started playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes yesterday. So far I'm finding it incredibly fun! The character handling and stealth are the highlights by far but the whole thing is strangely cohesive, too. Out of Kojima's games, I've only played Death Stranding before and liked it enough.

The above is an unapologetic segue into me asking what is the best way to emulate Metal Gear Solid nowadays and where should I start? I know there is Metal Gear but not sure about the exact connection.

P.S.: I had a PS3 which I could have used to play the MGS collection but unfortunately I've sold it before that. I don't plan to buy another because of lack of space and honestly playing games on it was a drag anyway. It also doesn't seem the collection will ever be released again. Annoyingly enough, it was also taken down from Playstation Now (which was not available here) before it merged into the new Playstation Plus tier (which is available here).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thank you for all the answers re: Metal Gear Solid :tipshat: What about Metal Gear, is it necessary to play first?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, it's that one.
It's just the latest of Squeenix' mediocre overpriced games.

You know it's a quality action game when the developers expect you to play at 30fps.

I've played the demo and it was pretty bad. Mainly it's a mess technically. On a PS5, the 30 FPS mode is unplayable IMO and 60 FPS felt nowhere near as good as 60 FPS in other games I've played recently. The graphics are strangely blown out like a badly tuned HDR. The sound mixing and VA sounds wrong, like it's a guy recording himself on a toilet, and the banter between the protagonist and her partner just don't match at all tone-wise. The combat was... flashy, but repetitive even within the 40 minutes it took me to finish the demo. The most impressive thing was instant fast travel :effort:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I was not ready for whatever is happening at the beginning of MGS5: The Phantom Pain lol. Ground Zeroes was all tactical and relatively grounded and then... :stare:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

I noticed that Big Picture mentions a music player in the settings along with directories to scan for music, but I can't figure out how to access the player. How do you turn it on?

e:it's in the Library

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4DBA-E6A9-1115-7852

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a shame that Forspoken looks like it's going to be trash, because I feel like there's room for a game to play as a wizard with spells that actually feel good.

Yeah, it’s a shame. From what I’ve played of the demo it seemed it’s all style and no substance.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Tried the Forspoken demo on PC... I have Ryzen 9 7950X and NVIDIA 4090 and with everything cranked up it couldn't maintain steady 60 FPS. :drat: When I turned on DLSS Quality, the FPS was hovering between 90-100 FPS.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

4K so expected to be lower but still not that low

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

codo27 posted:

So I picked up RDR2 with some of my christmas gift cards, but never tried it until yesterday. Way too slow paced and on-rails for me so I submitted a refund request, but its been more than 2 weeks so they denied it. Anyone ever have any luck escalating things through steam support, if thats even possible?

I tried a few times without luck.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Kinda wishful thinking that a Harry Potter game of all things would try do something cooler than magic guns and dodge rolls.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
?oom Eternal: J?TVL-QY886-NQBVC

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

FutureCop posted:

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - COOL - Pretty polished and cool Metroidvania with a story focus where you explore a steampunk city as a roguish lady merc, picking up misc bounties/quests while doing your main mission which has you uncovering relics of some mysterious civilization with void powers and maybe you have some connection to the past or future or something. Combat has you use sword moves to build up energy for fancy bullets that can hurt or stun while ducking or roll through well-telegraphed attacks.

I was so sure this was in the Steamworld universe but apparently it's a completely different company :eyepop: Cool game, tho.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Seems like Wild Hearts has major performance problems on PC. Shame because I might've been convinced to buy it on release despite the admittedly really high asking price.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 16, 2023

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

K8.0 posted:

Purely practical armor looks like dogshit, regardless of gender. Ain't no one actually wants to see that outside of VERY simmy games.

:wrong:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
999 (first of the Zero Escape/Nonnary games) and the first Somnium Files are worth playing even if you'd normally skip them for any reason.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

who the gently caress ends the weekend free play on sunday evening, I spent this time downloading it after hemming and hawing and can't even try it. gently caress you 2k

Same, really bizarre. Oh well, until next time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Kragger99 posted:

Hmmm, I love the game, but I suck at it on ps5. I wonder if getting on PC would be worth it. Did you notice any quality differences between the 2 platforms? May I also ask what gpu/cpu you have?

Looks significantly sharper but that's mainly due to comparing 4K on PC vs non-4K on PS5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temntOfITRQ

I've enjoyed the game enough on PS5 that I might really re-buy it on PC just for the spiffier graphics and the ability to play it on the Steam Deck :negative:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've tried getting into The Forest twice, once by myself and once with a group.

The first time I got to the point where the dangerous enemies start roaming the surface and it was like that From Soft boss at the beginning where you're supposed to die unless you're lvl 1 no weapon playthrough-level kind of guy. I honestly had no idea how I was supposed to fight those things.

When we tried playing the game as a group, we've had so many game-breaking bugs where one person would just completely exit the world bounds and it was like an astral projection or something, and another person got booted out of the game and when they loaded back, they lost everything they had on them, which turned them off the game. We tried one more time later but it was really impossible to continue without running into other bugs.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I bought Aeterna Noctis since it was on sale, and I easily went past the 2 hours refund window because it was fun, and the visuals were really good. Now I realized I got tricked into playing literally a game for masochists, and I'm not sure I'll be able to rise up to the challenge. The tower of light dungeon just didn't seem to want to end, and there was a big rear end sword at the end that just chopped you down if you were moving too slow and oh man what did I buy :negative:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

which difficulty are you playing on? I felt like the less difficult mode was pretty reasonable (apparently it changes a bunch of the room layouts so that the platforming isn't as hard), but ended up dropping it after running into a trio of awful bosses in the second half of the game that were making it more frustrating than enjoyable. Shame because the game was extremely good up until that point.

I am playing on the Noctis difficulty because it said some achievements could not be earned on the lower one. This is probably a dumbass decision but I wouldn't want to play the game a second time just to get some achievements. Maybe it's not worth it?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

People that care too much about achievements need to be introduced to Steam Achievement Manager.

I don't particularly care about achievements (my % obtained in any game I've played in the past 5 years is probably a good indicator) but I don't like to play a gimped version of the game. And like another poster said above me, if I ever feel the need to use Steam Achievement Manager I think I'd rather play something else at that point :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

you consider a version of the game gimped if you cant get all the achievements in a playthrough? kinda sounds like you do care about them

On a scale from 0 to 10 I'm definitely not a zero, but I don't like the game telling me upfront that I won't be able to see everything there is to see if I play on a lower difficulty, call it brain worms I guess

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Mescal posted:

is rdr2 a "know before two hours is up" kind of game?

I don't think you'll get to the point where the game opens up before 2 hours are up but RDR2 is a long game (50-80 hours for an average playthrough IMO) and a lot of it is watching in-game cutscenes, so in that sense... yes. It's also a slow game and I personally mean that in the best way but it might turn people off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Zeron posted:

On the other hand this was one of the main reasons I liked the game. The objectives kept the game time at about the right length to memorize the maps and feel good about how powerful and knowledgeable you are without overstaying it's welcome. If you go into the game without a lot of expectations of how you want it to go and play it's a pretty good game imo.

Agreed. I think they could have made the ending better but up to that it was really good. The level design, atmosphere, and music were my favorite parts of the game. They also managed to fix one of the problems that Dishonored had: feeling like reloading when things go wrong is the best course of action.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jerusalem posted:

Just wish they (IOI) didn't have such a terrible system for actually purchasing the game and DLC!

There's a whole thread on the Steam forums dedicated to explaining to people what to buy. What the gently caress. I almost re-bought Hitman 3 on PC two times now but every time I got so utterly bored trying to figure it out (without buying something that I already have, natch) that I always gave up. And last time I looked, rolling everything into the trilogy SKU did not, in fact, resolve all of the questions :cripes:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

secretly best girl posted:

Because nothing gets you dunked on more than releasing a "sequel" that has a lower number in a column to compare than the original. You can't hear the hypothetical "this only has 4 maps instead of X"?

deep dish peat moss posted:

My main question is why did they bother re-making all the maps when within a week the only populated servers will be 24/7 dust2 and aztec! Or weird gun-game surf stuff.

They didn't remake all the maps, they remade some, slightly updated others and let all the rest benefit from the engine upgrade (dust2 is in the third category).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I wrote this about The Corruption Within:

quote:

An atmospheric point-and-click adventure game with great music and moody visuals. The story is quite satisfying, you even get to make several decisions that impact the ending. All in all a solid indie effort, an easy recommendation for adventure game fans.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Morter posted:

I've been doing martial arts and hack 'n slash games for the last 6 months. The one shooty game I played, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, I had fun with but it's not like I enjoyed the guns very much, wince everything was wacky and dumb.

So I'm looking for single player games with an emphasis on gun feel. A game I had with that, Receiver 2, is nice to behold but it's frustrating when dumb enemy spawns knock you down one tier and switches your weapons. That doesn't keep me sticking with it for long, sadly, so any gimmicks/spin may keep me away.

So good single player shooty games from the past couple of years, please throw them at me, thanks!

Edit: I'm open to EGS suggestions, too. Also Ubisoft

DUSK (Great Shotgun Experience), Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 (the sniper is amazing, the rest is OK)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Fruits of the sea posted:

The guy runs a paid modded Rust server. Probably has a bit of a god complex from his fans.

The whole thing is extremely stupid. If a person who doesn't own any part of the game can do that the whole DMCA system seems to be broken.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

pentyne posted:

Overall seems like a big step sideways from D3, hopefully not going to fully into Lost Ark/Path of Exile pseudo-mmo hell.

There are all kinds of small red flags in the game that I'm afraid will turn into into exactly that. I'm also not feeling the skill tree at all, for me that's a step down from D3 so far.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
If anything Diablo 4 is more like 2 than 3, probably why I don't like it as much. I think 2 had a lot of old-school RPG cruft that I wasn't sad to see gone, and now welp.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Anno posted:

Live A Live is coming to Steam next month. In classic Square fashion the Steam page doesn’t seem to be available yet.

I know a lot of classic RPG fans really liked this one last year.

https://twitter.com/squareenix/status/1641364849744814080?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Great news coz I can't bring myself to buy any more games for the Switch.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

VS basically started an entirely new genre overnight, that's kind of the definition of what a Game Design award winner should be.

It's basically an idle game with graphics.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

FrickenMoron posted:

Terra Nil seems overpriced for the gimmick game it was in the demo. Is the full game any better?

FWIW it's available on phones/tablets if you have a Netflix subscription.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

Majority of Steam users have 16GB RAM.

I'm surprised by how many people have 32 GB! Though I haven't had any (recurring) problems before, I've also upgraded to 32 after ~8 years of having 16 GB. Honestly it's more for when I'm doing things with the PC other than gaming, but I'm sure it won't hurt for gaming either.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That is the first bundle in a long time that I'd call good without reservations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I tried playing ESO twice, once by myself and once with friends, and it was boring both times.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've tried both Subnautica and Below Zero with the survival meters but ended up turning them off because it's literally pointless in both games. Having to manage oxygen is plenty, and much more interesting than food/water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
My refund rate is around 80-90% of ~150 games per year because I am interested in all kinds of games but I only ever want to actually play to finish only very few of them. I've only been doing this for around 2 years but since then this happened:

- the amount of money I spend on Steam increased 3-4 times
- I play and finish most of the games I end up keeping
- I started to prefer Steam to any other store

So I think from Valve's POV this is a clear improvement over how it used to be.