Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm very frustrated with paradox these days :(

Me too, but I'm not sure either of these situations were solely Paradox's fault. Unless they forced hairbraned to make Lamplighters league, the burden is shared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I have mixed feelings on Paradox. Clearly they are not good caretakers of their studios but I don't blame them for things like not allowing Colossal Order to pull another "we just need another few months, we promise" on Cities: Skylines 2 after eight years of development.

Exactly, Paradox is responsible for making the choice of releasing, staying in development for longer (than eight years), or cancelling. Colossal Order is responsible for the absolute shambles the game was/is still in. Same goes for Hairbrained, they chose to make Lamplighters and used their goodwill to get Paradox to greenlight the product, even though most people could have taken one glance at it and guessed it wouldn't have done well.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

They did lamplighters because they were told they weren't allowed to make battletech

No, they did a non-battletech game because they weren't allowed. They chose to make Lamplighters.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with Lamplighters on paper. It's XCOM meets Pulp Call of Cthulhu, which is a perfectly fine mix of genres. I was cautiously optimistic about it before it came out and the reviews said it was released in a severely undercooked state.

I suspect it'll turn out a lot of the blame lies on Paradox loving them and forcing them to release before it was really done.

The problem is they were making scuffed XCOM in a pretty saturated genre where most people are still playing XCOM1&2. At least battletech had the whole universe and mech system to differentiate it from XCOM. Lamplighters never had a shot at being successful, even if it had released in a perfect state.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I mean, there's a lot of XCOMlikes and a lot of them did alright. WH Mechanicus, WH Daemonhunters, Gears Tactics, Troubleshooter, Hard West 1&2, Othercide, Phantom Doctrine, JA3, etc, none of these killed their studio AFAIK.

It's a busy genre, but most genres are busy. I don't think LL being an xcomlike was inherently a positive or a negative here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look at your list though, half of them have famous licenses like Warhammer or Gears that can do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of sales and marketability and the other half sold very little comparatively. Phantom Doctrine didn't kill the studio, but people were forced to resign over it. Othercide wasn't a blockbuster either. Most of these either barely tread water or did poorly in terms of sales. Hell even the studio behind xcom isn't interested in making a new xcom. They are leaning into their marvel license.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, Firaxis was not forced to use their marvel license, that was literally a passion project (which is why you can date the superheroes)

That's my point, given the choice between another Xcom or more marvel stuff, they prefer the latter.

Megazver posted:

Jake Solomon, the lead designer on XCOM 1&2, was not interested in making XCOM 3, because he was personally done with it and he felt the franchise needed to breathe a little. So he made the Marvel game (famous license!) and it bombed hard enough that he left the company. And it was still a tactical RPG where you send out heroes on missions to fight in turn-based combat, so pretty xcom-ish in that regard.

Now they probably are making another XCOM.

The thing that turned me away was the card-based rpgness of it. Its not xcomy enough to scratch that itch and it's not rpg enough to scratch that itch. It's a worst of both worlds situation.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 4, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You will probably get 8 bucks of fun out of Othercide.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yuzu has been shut down permanently. In other news a brand-new, totally unrelated switch emulator named Zuyu has just appeared from a new, anonymous team. (is what I expect to happen soon enough)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've got such a backlog that game industry crash 2.0 couldn't possibly be long enough for me to get through it before games start getting made again. The only question is which game will be the modern ET?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Sex Feets 2

If anything, that would delay the crash, not precipitate it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I wish we could get another X-men legends or Ultimate Alliance, or hell just ports/remasters of the originals. At least I've got the steam versions of UA 1&2 and can play them on the deck.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

What games are even around that are like that? I just want more light console ARPGs with big rosters of dumb four button dudes.

The branded super hero stuff is pretty unimportant to me, if not a detriment.

Nothing recently, like the most recent was probably Ultimate Alliance 3 on the switch, but it performs like rear end with constant frame drops.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

The first world problem of our time is that it's very hard to be sure if things are fun nonsense or some right-wing dog whistle. :v:

Maybe I'm super out of the loop, but what is the questionable language there?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand these words, what's going on?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

gunkjuice in my goblin hole

Is this gunkjuice?

Saints Row:0QAJA-NYRQJ-M4EER taken

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 5, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

I grabbed this one. Thanks so much! Loved SR2 but really disliked 3 and 4. Sad to see Violition go.

My pleasure, hope you get some enjoyment out of it.

pentyne posted:

When goblins are tiny green things that attack low level adventurers they are fine.

When goblins are hook nosed angry minorities who control the banking and currency system, then its a problem.

Ah, I'm just Warhammer-brained when it comes to Orcs and Goblins. Never thought about them being depicted differently.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Dig up? Like a dwarf? Cultural appropriation??

Dwarfs dig down because they want to find all the cool poo poo underground. Skaven dig up because they want to kill everything on the surface.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

Which Space Hulk video game is the good one? I know there’s been a bunch but I can never keep straight which is which.

Good news! They delisted the better games, only 2 are left! So if you want FPS, you can get deathwing. If you want something closer to the table top, get Space Hulk: Tactics.

If you can find it somewhere, Space Hulk: Ascension is probably the better turn-based version with the most content.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm by no means trying to be arrogant, I'm not an elite gamer, but I think most people who think souls games are hard just didn't put enough points into VIT. I've beaten all the souls,borne,etc games and your gear and character stats can heavily carry you through the games.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

You've beaten all the souls bourne games so you're hardly the average Joe when it comes to the combat in those games. Having just played through the entirety of Elden Ring in co-op with two friends with varying degrees of bullshit tolerance, one of them just could not deal with the dodging required especially in the latter half of that game to successfully beat a lot of those bosses and had to be carried through to the end more or less. Vit helps for sure but there's more to it than that.

You're right that it's a bit more complex than boosting vit. You also need to understand the upgrade system. Someone who's having a particularly hard time might need to do a bit more grinding for upgrade materials, but if you get a decent set of armor to +5/10 whatever, alongside a bunch of VIT, and upgrading your flasks, you can more or less power through the game.

People have done "no rolling" challenges and beaten the game without ever dodging attacks.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I cannot begin to envision a world where STALKER plays well on a controller, tbh.

It's not like it has complicated controls. Outside of the inventory, it's just halo or cod. Point gun, shoot, crouch, grenade. That's about it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

A radial menu, or maybe the d pad does 12 things based on whether you are, or are not, holding down bumpers? Or maybe you just don't lean!

The degrees of crouching can just map to a crouch button and it'll be like a motorcycle transmission, it just steps up or down one at a time.

Just get good at shoot gun and you don't need meds.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It would be funny if these old games don't work properly on Windows, but just worked flawlessly on Linux through Proton.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing the Saboteur on Steam Deck and it's a perfect fit.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Reading this thread got me interested in picking of Age of Wonders 4 but then I saw all of the DLC and that it was a Paradox game and I am now having my doubts....

It's a good base game. The DLC doesn't add any universal mechanics, just new "cultures" that you can use to make factions with. None of the current DLCs are required to enjoy the game. You can get them if you want Dragon people, for example.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
At this point, I've almost entirely given up on most MP games because unless they are one of the few runaway smash hits, they are almost certain to be graveyards within a few months. I'm not gonna drop 20-ish bucks on a game, however good or fun it may be, that I won't be able to play next year.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

Wait. This is a paid multiplayer game (sure, only $20, still not F2P) and it has two seasonal passes? At $40 each?

Oh good, you get weapon and armor skins through these passes. First win of every day, so a potential 365-day grind... which means there must be a large pool of only slightly different skins.

Wanna bet most of those skins are just AI/procedurally generated?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious as to what the promised DLC that comes with the premium version will be. It will either be medeocre and totally tank the game permanently (horse armor-tier) or open the door for a no-man's-sky engoodening. But lets be honest, it's going to be space horse armor.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

It'll probably just be some small, tight narrative focused expansion that adds 1 place worth exploring to a random planet. Like Far Harbor for Fallout 4.

In other words, it's going to tank the game. Because people will be expecting magic or trash, and they sure as hell won't give it a fair shake. A Far Harbor would probably settle at mostly negative because people will be mad it didn't overhaul the game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

onionradish posted:

If, after completing Pacific Drive I've acquired a casual interest in trying a Truck Sim for the sale price of "under $5," is American Truck Simulator or Euro Truck Simulator 2 a better choice? Or is my $5 spent better on almost anything else?

Depends on which kind of trucks you like more. Euro truck quite literally has European trucks, which are flat-nosed and quite a bit different from American trucks which are enormous behemoths. Go look at pictures of trucks and see which one you think you'd prefer to drive.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Which is better Dune: Spice Wars or Old World?

I personally liked Dune more, but it's a hybrid RTS/4X. Old World is a much more traditional 4x.

Dune is a pause-able real-time 4x which you do command units around like in other RTS games, but the RTS combat is heavily limited by things like pop-cap and upkeep. You start out being able to afford only 2-4 units and gradually work your way up from there. There's a lot of emphasis on building economy, research and espionage/politics. It also has a meta-4x layer, a bit like total war or risk where you do campaign map stuff, then fight battles to claim territories and then go back to the campaign map.

Old world is much closer to Civ, but I'm grossly oversimplifying here.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Acula posted:

Im surprised enough people bought the game at this price to even fill the servers

Over 10,000 people were trying to get into the 3 servers on launch night.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Acula posted:

Which seems insane to me for a game thats been available on steam this whole time for like 5 bucks on sale and now its out for $46 canadian dollaroos and people are lapping it up apparently?

My best guess is this version has out-of-the-box Steam Deck support. The originals are a bit fiddly to get working.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I remember a bit of playing Space Siege on launch. It wasn't good, but I do remember the implant system being interesting. Just play Dungeon Siege instead, that's still pretty fun.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do I make Total Warhammer 3 look less blurry? I suspect I have the wrong anti-aliasing setting set:

TAA is the culprit. Use any of the other options, FXAA or MSAA being usually fine. Just note that TAA exists for a reason, it has the least performance impact. MSAA can be very costly, especially at x16.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

Still using my 2080 and reduced settings for some games. It won't ever play Robocop at any setting though. I would be very happy spending $500 for a new card at the end of the year.

Have you tried turning off raytracing in Robocop? It's named something weird there, like dynamic lumens or whatever. Switch it to SSR (screen space reflections) for non-raytraced. It makes a big performance difference.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

and ultra settings usually mean a 10% framerate hit for mostly imperceptible differences.

Yeah, 90% of the time there's no good reason to go to ultra over high. The exception being textures if you have the VRAM for them. If you've got a card with 16gb ram then might as well slam all the textures to max, as those can make a big difference in how things look. Like in Forza, the road (something you will be staring at a lot) looks noticeably sharper with higher texture settings.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Returnal is decent enough, especially for less than 20 bucks. But it's not full-price good.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

not getting a Linux or Mac version...

As a Linux enjoyer, I kinda prefer just running things through Proton. A bit blasphemous, I know, but it "just werks" more than native linux ports do, especially after having aged a bit. Some Linux ports of games just don't work any more and the windows version via proton is pretty rock solid for the most part now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

As a Linux enjoyer, getting some things to work under WINE/proton is always a crapshoot, although I do admit native ports have a tendency to get abandoned. SS2remake in particular needs me to drop the resolution down to historically accurate levels, which while amusing I'd still prefer the real thing.

Have you got an all-AMD setup? Pretty much everything works through proton, with the occasional game needing a specific proton version to be set. The only problematic titles being those with anti-cheat.