Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The biggest gut feeling I get every demo fest or big steam sale is that there are too many loving video games. Stop making them. I can barely play the ones I already got. I need to be able to catch up so ban video games for like, two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

I can't remember the name of it but there is this, I think ps2 era?, game where you play as an Irish guy who fights demons with a gun in one hand and magic in the other. If I remember correctly that had really good magic. The flaming skull spell was especially satisfying.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you. I spent like ten minutes failing to find it because I kept googling "John Carpenter video game". I remember some horror guys name was on it just not the right one.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Indie: I can count your dev team on one hand.
A: I can count your dev team on two hands
AA: I can reasonably be expected to be able to remember the names of most team members, perhaps could fill a medium sized classroom
AAA: I know the companies name or perhaps some guy who's face is at all the industry shows. Under them is an army of thousands of faceless nameless goons.
AAAA: Scam, fraud.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Though at this point I can't tell if I've once again overthought myself into a corner or folks are glossing over what I meant, which is specifically the animation work and, in essence, the "gunfeel" of spells. Most of the games cited have spells with memorable effects, but the majority of them lack really punchy animations. As in, whatever mystical hand jiving the player character does, the rumble of growing power as they charge up a spell, a sense of recoil as they unleash a fireball, etc. A whole lot of them are just kinda point and click or hold down the button to hose stuff down with fire or w/e.

Really stretching beyond the initial premise, I guess maybe the Psychonauts games might count? The basic mind bullet attack is possibly the most straightforward point and shoot attack ever conceived but the animations sell it pretty well.

At the very least I knew what you ment but I should of been clearer. That skull spell I mentioned specifically had good enough "feel" that it's been stuck in my head for like a decade. The way he pulls it out of the ground to reload, the flick of his wrist when he launches it has this real good snap to it. One of the few spells that give that good gutfeel a well done shotgun blasts and reload does.

In this regards, unfortunately leaving the world of fps behind, dark souls basic fireball spell and to a lesser extent lighting spell feel really good. Making the the fire appear in your hand then baseball tossing that poo poo in somethings face gives it this heft and weight a lot of magic lacks

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also if I had the strength to stand by my convictions I'd define indie as a game made by Exactly One Guy, no more or less. But alas I cowardly allowed up to five entire people.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Nextfest was just sad for me. There's basically nothing coming out I'm interested in. Doesn't help that a not insignificant amount of them are just worse copies of games I already played the good version of.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man after how many sales and demo fests in a row without buying anything does a person have to start looking deep inside himself and realize that he doesn't like video games anymore.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I feel dumb for procrastinating on getting Hitman for so long. Oh well,I will simply wait even longer.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

buglord posted:

I got around to playing Battlebit because a) its $7.50 rn and b) they're going with a linux-friendly anticheat

here are my unsolicited half hour thoughts:

- man it feels nice playing a multiplayer shooter that has dedicated servers with their own rules
- no battlepass/other modern day trappings are also nice
- i really suck at PVP shooter games, woof. I mean, I don't think I was ever great when I played Battlefield 2 at age 17, but I think I'm somehow worse now at my current age.
- rush/bomb defusal game modes are back, and im happy
-simple graphics are actually pretty nice and I really enjoy the aesthetic.

also apparently this game is dying/dead but, at least in the americas, there's plenty going on during a week night?

Man battlebit was SO GOOD when it first came out. It was HUGE.

But then everyone left. A few bad patches and general lack of content and everyone went poof.

On a personal level didn't help that several patches were targeted at things I liked specifically.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

buglord posted:

So what exactly happened? The steam forums are a disaster, the updates only kind of hint at something happening in 2023...then thats about it.

The only actual Big One I can recall is the sound rework update that made everything sound like it was underwater for weeks. Everything else was a more slow death of a thousand cuts like taking months to nerf overpowered weapons, map voting was bad for a while with all the mouthbreathers voting for the same three maps until they added a weighted random map select thing kinda like in the newer mario carts. And never really adding much so your stuck with all the samey guns with meaningless attachments forever.

And on a personal only-I-care-about level, they nerfed mines, they nerfed building destruction which was the only way to counter constant backcapping on some maps with the way the spawn system works, and the day I left was when they changed the build/calldown menu to remove the empty aircraft menu that hinted at maybe adding some form of cool bombing runs or some poo poo which they clearly just changed their minds about.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, a huge chunk of the complaints for most of when I was paying attention to the game was about the maps. It was like maps, than the vector specifically and smgs in general being way stronger than anything else, then cheaters, and then littlebird gods in that order. And I don't know if any of that every got fully addresed.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 17, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's not here

but it is here

but it REALLY needs an age gate because just a few minutes of googleing

this is a pretty big oversight.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

More like turn-cringe am I right.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

To move on to a less upsetting topic. I've been hit with a sudden craving.

Has there been any newish actual roguelikes released in the last couple years or so. Im talking old nethack style nonsense but maybe with a graphic or two. None of these roguelite meta progression level up stuff.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Ohhhh man Rift Wizard 2 is EXACTLY what I've been needing. Thanks for the recommend.

edit: Man I don't know how I never actual bought Qud yet. Ive been a big fan after seeing it streamed a few time.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 20, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Look, it's simple, there are exactly three kinds of games.

Indie games: Made by as close as one guy as possible, never more than 10. Budget ideally never leaves the triple digits.

AAA: Slop made with tens of billions of dollars with tens of thousands of employees.

Video Games: this is the term for everything between those two extremes. Back in the old days this used to be the only kind of game there was.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's either a vaporware or a scam, like Halflife 3, Silksong or Deltarune chapters 3+

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Screenshots

https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791311128422748285

Bros Overwatch 2 is looking like hot garbage what happened to the guys who made team fortress 2. Is making good games lostech now?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Serephina posted:

Twitter's doing its best to drive itself into non-existence. Please aid them in that noble cause, and feel free to screenshot or rehost any content you want to share, as many (most?) non-twitter-denizens are unable to see that content.

my bad

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Oh I just realized that if you couldn't see the tweet i posted, you probably couldn't see the other tweet that got posted that started all this. It's all text so this should be easy.

quote:

Deadlock. Next Valve game. Previously known as Neon Prime, Citadel. Competitive third person hero-based shooter. 6 vs 6 battling on huge map with 4 lanes. Usable abilities and items. Tower defense mechanics. Fantasy setting mixed with steampunk. Magicians, weird creatures and robots. Fast travel using floating rails, similar to Bioshock Infinite.

Basically, fast-paced interesting ADHD gameplay. Combination of Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, Valorant, Smite, Orcs Must Die.

Hero design pretty much inspired by Dota universe. Main map references modern steampunk European city (little bit like Half-Life). Initially game had sci-fi elements inspired by Half-Life and Portal, but after bad feedback dev team decided to focus on fantasy.

I've said this a million times but 6v6 is the deal breaker for me. 12v12 is the bare starving minimum for a shooter. 127 v 127 is the goal all should strive for.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 17, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It also looks like it's third person shooter instead of a real shooter so it's more Smite than Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

+1 for hell let loose.

But I think the biggest thing I've done for my mental health as far as online multiplayer goes is completely refusing to play any game that can punish you for leaving in the middle of a match.