Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Thanks for talking about MW5 in the last thread, I bought it all and have been loving the career mode with the one DLC. Also did some co-op with a friend on gamepass and the cross play stuff works flawlessly. I assume I won't be able to invite non dlc havers to a career campaign?

I believe only the host needs the DLC, even career mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of MW5, I got the Jumpship bundle from fanatical here (If anyone is interested. It is a real good deal compared to what it costs to get the game plus expansions even on the winter sale). I played a few missions of the campaign to get a feel for it and I think I like it. My question is that does it dovetail into Career mode like Battletech does?

The campaign has parts which resemble the Career mode from the Inner Sphere DLC, they didn’t create it from scratch, but it directs you to certain areas and has a definitive end. Some of the more extensive mods don’t play as nice with the open-ended-ish parts of the campaign either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Huh, the economic side of the MW5 career mode feels surprisingly tricky. My dumbass lancemates just love getting themselves cored at the first opportunity even against easy enemies. And as it turns out the engine is far and away the most expensive part of a mech, so that's a sweet million credits just to get the drat thing running again each time. :suicide:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also if I remember right most stock mechs blow and you need to tear poo poo off of them and load every mech as close to max armor as you can, particularly in the center.

Yeah if there’s one thing to do for every single mech it is immediately up armor them and always have near max armor on the torso. Drop some from the head, arms, and legs if you absolutely need the tonnage for a good piece of equipment but almost never from the torso. And you do really have to babysit the AI a lot of the time unfortunately, they have a habit of just throwing themselves into the center of an enemy lance or tank group if you just tell them to attack.

The loadouts mechs come with are the ~~canon~~ ones which probably make sense from a lore and/or tabletop perspective but in a video game you basically need to start from scratch. I’ve found flamers and machine guns especially pointless, even on light mechs. More lasers/PPCs and more heat sinks is always a good fallback option if you have the slots.

Cowcaster posted:

so i'm confused, in 2057 when i finally get around to playing mechwarrior 5, should i just completely ignore the campaign button entirely because the career mode has all the campaign stuff in it, or should i at least run through the campaign once because it'll give me a representation to the game flow as opposed to career mode's sandbox

When it was the only thing in the game it was on the disappointing end of things but now that career mode exists the campaign is a decent introduction and more guided experience.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

You should really go visit the friend napping in front of that drawbridge to the left.

Speaking of things this thread was missing:

drat that’s a cool bird.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

You are right it just feels sometimes like two missions on the same rating will be wildly different in terms of difficulty but I really think it's just the one mission type that I have the most trouble with. Either way, I took this to look into some mods and picked up the AI Mod to make my mechs behave less stupid and that has really helped a lot. I also grabbed the coyote mission types mod which adds a bunch of new missions. I think it also remixes standard missions to make them harder lol so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

These new [Mechwarrior 5] missions are awesome. Full scale battles with other AI lances, attack/defend missions with two bases and repair bays, mechs airdropped in mid-mission as backup from allies.. kinda makes the official ones look like poo poo in comparison. The improved AI mod has significantly improved my experience too.

Yeah the stuff Coyote was able to do is really impressive. The End Game versions of the missions you can eventually do are pretty crazy, if occasionally a little broken just due to the sheer amount of shooting going on. If you add in the YAML and/or Clan Invasion mech mods you get a ton more variety in enemies too (eventually, they can be time locked).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

This sounds lit

I hope it works with all my YAML and mech variant mods

It will, I’ve used it with most of the YAML mods as well as the Clan Invasion mod for a while now. All those mechs can and will show up in the custom missions both as friendly and enemy and at the end as salvage. They can definitely gently caress with things since the missions themselves are balanced around vanilla. For example the “End Game” battleground missions is about reaching 2 friendly mechs before they’re destroyed to get some data and then taking that data to a friendly base before its destroyed. When there’s a couple super heavies (or even just mechs with RACs) near the base or one of the important mechs fighting with a few crazy clan variants the mission might be lost before it even really starts but most of the time you can squeak out a win.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Are those mods worth picking up you think? I wasn't too sure what YAML did exactly but saw it mentioned a whole bunch in the conversation of "must have mods" for MW5

The biggest thing Yet Another Mech Lab does is expand the customizing you can do with mechs and removes a lot of the restrictions of the vanilla system. You can throw together some good stuff with it. It also adds some mech variants, equipment like engines and armor, and the ability to salvage “pieces” of a mech type after a mission. If a mech isn’t available to take as a whole then it’ll will appear as some number of salvage pieces. Once you have enough pieces (5 tons per piece, so 100 tons needs 20 pieces, you can turn them into a mech.

The other Yet Another mods can be considered add ons to YAML. That’s not actually necessarily true for all of them but close enough.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

dangit i was banking on it being "yet another mechwarrior lore" mod

No need for a mod for that, just watch the increasingly longer videos dressed up as history lectures from the Black Pants Legion https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR5zhFCFVb9Unr7My0Epa_QQQqa388AVh

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If making games for people like DarkSydePhil results in more games like God of War 2018 then its time for me to help out. Going to point a camera at a computer monitor, buy a lovely webcam, and jerk off on stream a couple times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squiggle posted:

What are you talking about

He’s talking about the main story. I know it’s forgettable but that was a single sentence!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every time I see a spaceship fighting/trading game it reminds me that I wish Rebel Galaxy kept with its 2D plane Age of Sail gameplay for the follow-up rather than trying to make Privateer again. Everyone always tries to make Privateer again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there are far too few capital ship spacegames around. Let me captain a single big-rear end battlecruiser, directing gun batteries, dispatching fighter squadrons, and launching giant missile salvoes. But it seems like almost all games that aim for that scale are either higher-scope strategy games or the endgame of clunky 4xs.

I don't think they needed to move up to even that scale for a theoretical sequel. I would have been perfectly happy with mostly the same. And more of the terribly awesome/awesomely terrible soundtrack.

I have been enjoying Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 for much the same reasons but that's kind of a 4X.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

I wish Rebel Galaxy hadn't branched off into the Freelancer direction and just made another game like the first but even more like Sid Meier's Pirates! in Space. Instead of swordfights its barroom brawls, instead of ballroom dancing it's karaoke night

Exactly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How is The Division 2 now that it's on steam? I remember really liking the idea of the first one, but I pretty quickly bounced off it on account of how repetitive it was and how it felt like 75% of my time and my dude's progression was wasted.

(Note that I do like good loot treadmills: Diablo II and TQ/GD are totally my jam. But something about Division 1 felt like all box, no skinner.)

As someone who likes Division 2 but is basically done with it in any significant way it’s basically the same. While there were fairly significant changes in terms of how health/armor works, different skills added, and the open world city part of the game actually has a purpose beyond the first time you run through it you’re still taking cover and shooting things with guns mostly while numbers go up. If you can believe it there’s even less story and character than the first game.

You technically have a bit more skinner since there’s a a wider variety of stats but for complicated reasons I’m not going to go into there’s only a handful that are useful.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had look up I think two things in Outer Wilds and they were things right at the tail end of their respective bread crumb trails. Unless you’ve exhausted literally everything else to do (PROTIP: Switch your ship’s computer to Rumor mode) then don’t look it up.

Actually now that I think about it I had to look up a third thing but that’s only because I completely forgot about one of the tools you get at the beginning of the game. Slightly less PROTIP: Don’t forget about your signalscope!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How does the encounter design feel as a solo player? I think that's the big thing giving me pause- I liked the look and ambiance of D1, and the shootbanging was pretty fun, but so many missions and areas were obviously built for groups that I felt like I was missing a solid 60% of the game's skill options in favor of the turret being pretty much mandatory to keep from getting outflanked.

That’s probably still accurate in area design though I never felt that way in Division 1 so it’s hard to say. There’s a pretty wide gulf between the mission design and the open world design. Missions are fairly cramped a lot of the time but outside there’s a ton of space. Both extremes can help and hurt with enemies making their way around you. I played most of the regular game solo the first time and grouped afterwards so it’s perfectly doable.

Also if being forced into using specific skills in Division 1 was a problem though then I’m afraid that if anything Division 2 made that even worse. Besides skills being pretty bad if you aren’t specced into using them a lot of the skills are either too hard to use because you have to manually aim them or they were too powerful and have since been nerfed too much. This almost necessarily means using the turret again and/or a drone… with a turret on it, because they just shoot things on their own. Purely using guns outside of some utility skills like a shield or a self-revive skill is just simpler and even more effective a lot of the time.

It’s very much a “some steps forward and some steps back” kind of sequel. It also has a complicated update history which over time has made the game at odds with itself in some respects - which is probably why it sounds like I don’t like it even though I actually do quite a bit but I also really enjoyed the first game too. Taken purely as a shooter with a heavy stat component I think there’s a fun to be had (if your idea of fun involves the quest for a bigger number a lot of the time) but I’m not sure if it would be that much different from the first game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Division 1 is just white and snow, but very few games do white and snow, which is what makes it look novel.

The video you linked is technically impressive but aesthetically boring. There's not a single frame there that isn't brown or grey.

While I'm not going to disagree that despite the city in Division 1 being far simpler and boxy the snow added a layer of atmosphere (which was only enhanced in the Survival mode) which made everything pop I think taking screenshots of a video literally titled "volumetric fog" and then complaining when lots of fog turns things grey is a bit silly, that's what fog does. Or taking a screenshot of a office building courtyard overgrown with ivory and bathed in sunlight with wisps of fog hanging in the air or an abandoned hotel swimming pool at night surrounded by palm trees and going "Ugh that's so grey."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

My rarest achievement is for not purchasing upgrades in the final level of the Overload (a Descentlike?), because I did not know I could purchase upgrades in the final level.

Overload rules. Not because of that achievement, just in general.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serephina posted:

I own that game but never finished it, had a terminal case of cbf about 3/4ths the way through. What's this survival mode and why is it so good?

It's been a while so I'm probably not going to describe it perfectly but it is a procedurally generated endless snowy forest where the goal is to survive as long as possible with as much treasure as possible and get out when you think you can't make it any further without dying. You score points at the end but I never paid much attention to that part. Along the way you fight enemies from the main game ranging from wild animals to enchanted armor, you gather resources to make health/ammo, and warm up where you can because its cold and Lara apparently didn't pack the right jacket and pants. You can add on modifiers to make it easier/harder which affects the final score.

It's not the most original mode these days but it did finally deliver on the more survival-ish themes the marketing for the first game tried to hype up and the beginning of the second game toyed with for an hour or two. Despite being procedurally generated the forest (plus caves and abandoned villages) when combined with the weather effects is actually really pretty and moody - it may be a foggy, dark, mostly flat, and empty expanse of trees (which certainly helps with the generation) but it turns out a foggy, dark, mostly flat, and empty expanse of trees is pretty loving spooky when you make it look right and throw in wolves, bears, dudes with guns, and ghost armor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would like it if there were higher level/harder missions in MW5 that had lower tonnage for both you and enemies. Yeah I love my King Crab but I also love a good Blackjack or Warhammer but after a certain point taking those anywhere remotely difficult is a death sentence because you’re facing a dozen assaults.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah it seems like the mid to endgame is where the balance really kinda gets funky, and it's about where I tapped out on my last MW5 save to be honest.

I'll probably pick up the new DLC and start playing it again though! Worth it to at least stop having your allies bulldoze over buildings in defend missions, if the patch notes are to be trusted.

I’d say it’s less funky and more that it’s balanced toward assault mechs being what you are ultimately working toward which is fair enough because big stompy big shooty but basically being forced to ignore a huge chunk of the mech roster is not great imo. It’s a big reason why I really like the Kestrel Lancers DLC. Assuming you don’t reset the timeline with a completely built up company its time limit means your biggest mech might be a Banshee and then you have to back it up with stuff like Catapults, Phoenix Hawks, Blackjacks, or Jaegers. Maybe a Black Knight or hero variant if you’re particularly lucky.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I didn't follow it that closely so I don't know if this should be much of a surprise, but The Division seems quite good. The premise notwithstanding (and it's a bit hard to ignore when you're constantly ordered to shoot on "rioters"), I really like it so far.

The shooting feels great and the presentation is slick. And they did a really good job with the city. I'm not sure how to describe it but it both feels tightly designed and wide open like a real city (though it's not exactly; you usually need to take specific entryways to access mission areas).

It's been surprisingly tactical. It's the first shooter in a while where I'm consistently blind firing from cover (and feeling good about it).

And though it's been surpassed graphically, it still looks good. And there are a poo poo ton of art assets.

The sequel improves some things that were desperately needed in the first but the original still has plenty going for it, from a better DZ to much less intensive “raids” in the end game. Also Survival mode if you bought the DLC. I actually reinstalled it recently to play that Survival mode again and it’s still fun no matter how many people are in the game with you, even 0 other people.

If you’re still interested when you reach the end game and want to try one of the raids or the legendary difficultly on some of the missions with slightly less matchmaking let me know and I can break out on of my old characters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

2 kind of improves some of the functional aspects of 1, but it's alot less atmospheric than 1 and the gameplay is alot more generic. They're both good pick up and play games however.

Try not think too hard about the ridiculous story or background reasoning for a division team.

EDIT: Also 1 has alot more depth to it with the zones, the subway and survival mode. 2 really lacked that.

Believe me I could write a way too long post about the seemingly well intentioned but ultimately harmful changes made from 1 to 2 but also to itself. Ubisoft’s ongoing development floundering didn’t help either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s got kind of David Cage vibe. The slightly uncanny facial expressions and stilted speech.

David Cage wishes he sounded that natural.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Massive make a new Ground Control

They did its called World in Conflict.

Massive make a new World in Conflict!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Haven't they heard about day 1 patches and DLCs

No. But they have heard about premium cosmetics and season passes.

Agent355 posted:

I don't know, 'vermintide with guns' is just left 4 dead again and I think the melee aspect of vermintide is what made it interesting?

There’s still plenty of melee in fact but there’s a lot of more switching between each than Vermintide (outside of certain VT classes).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Also I genuinely believe Darktide is a good game in a lot of ways, where they very obviously hosed up in other ways. The rhythm, the special enemies, the bolter, the banter and a lot of stuff feels really good. Real gnarly too.

But yeah, they have a lot of work ahead.

That’s a big part of the reason for the reviews. Bad games come and go all the time without Steam reviews but what there is of Darktide is very good but not nearly enough for 1) The original buying price and 2) Adding in premium currency/skins and season passes already.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anno posted:

This was the second most wishlisted game on Steam. Was it truly a scam, as many thought? Taken down because of some Epic shenanigans (I'm sure they needed the money)?

I’m truly shocked at this turn of events.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

something broadly similar to what happened to Vermintide 2, the last game the devs made

what I'm saying is pretty much everyone who follows them saw this coming

As far as I remember VT2 backlash was basically just about bugs, balance, and similar things. It was a far, far more complete game that needed time for polish. Darktide is bugs/balance + incomplete game + microtransactions in incomplete game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I assume the Dark Zone in The Division is balanced around multiplayer? Because I was pretty overwhelmed as soon as I stepped in. I got my rear end kicked by multiple groups of elite enemies. I eventually managed to get some extractions, but it was a whole lot of effort for pretty average loot. I was solo because I think no one in my level range was playing (not surprising given the game’s age).

It was still fun though.

The DZ is most definitely harder than the non-DZ stuff before World Tiers but if you haven’t reached World Tiers yet (I think this happens at level 30 automatically) then each DZ zone has a level range. You might have been going around a higher level zone, or borderline higher level.

There’s sort of a trick to the DZ that can make it easier to get stuff, at least before World Tiers when the entire place gets scaled to your level. The trick is that before world tiers the loot dropped by enemies you kill in a zone will be within the level range of that zone but the loot you get from loot boxes will be matched to your level regardless of what zone you’re in. So you can go into an earlier zone with enemies you out level and hit the loot boxes.

That said it’s probably not worth going into the DZ at all until you start to get purple gear. I think that happens at level 15+. And even then unless you’re trying to do the story missions on the Hard difficulty the first time through you don’t really need good gear. At most what the DZ is good for is to farm stuff to sell so you can buy better gear from the safe house vendors as you level up.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

is that really a "meme" so much as a tropey joke that is in a lot of 80s-90s fiction

"Meme" now basically means anything you want it to. It rules.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

Bound by Flame is fine up until the late game when it, for me, became unplayably hard so I just cheated in infinite health potions. Greedfall is pretty good and tries to really give you the sense of consequence for actions when you are siding with various factions or ignoring your party member's quests. The Adventuer's DLC is highly reccommened by me because early combat is a slog until the combat options really unlock, and you don't want your PC to focus on magic combat as it's pretty weak compared to the others.

Focus Interactive also publishes a couple mid-tier jank rpgs, or at least used to, but yeah Forspoken will almost certainly be 50% off come summer.

Bound by Flame started suitably janky but after that it felt like they had only actually finished the first third and rushed everything else to a crazy extent.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I can only speculate as to why (music licensing?) but Syndicate 2012 was delisted two years ago. Not just from Steam, EA doesn't sell it either. I never got a chance to try it.

It could be something like that but Syndicate 2012 was also a massive failure from what I recall. Something like not even 100k copies sold within a year which must be millions and millions gone for a company like EA so spending on money at all on it is probably too much for them. Glad I got to play its co-op mode after buying it for $5 though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

How come EA Games erased this title from the face of the earth?

It fell into a interest black hole except for weirdos like me who played its co-op mode too much and no one else cares.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Another game bites the dust. this one isn't being taken down though

“Bites the dust” is pretty hyperbolic and since perpetual content games are bad this is fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.

You should play Cataclysm (Emergence) and then HW2. Despite its age it doesn't take much at all to get it running properly and I don't care what anyone says neither HW1 or HW:C needs a touch up.

Mordja posted:

Don't let other people tell you what to think, just listen to me instead: HW2 is actually the better game even if the story isn't as good.

The interplay of fighters and corvettes is better but everything else is dogshit, sorry.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not googling the anime words, you can’t trick me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Looks like a kid's game.

It’s a video game, correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I tried out The Great War and while it is admittedly just a few missions I don’t think it’s going to be for me. There’s almost certainly depth I’m not understanding but the battle layer feels lacking, at least in the ways I enjoy RTS combat.