Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
drat I got pseudoregalia on a "this isn't my kind of game at all but I want to know more about it and I'll refund it" lark and now I'm like 6 hours in

I cannot stress how much I hate 3D platformers - especially goddamn Mario 64 - and yet I am incredibly charmed by this game. Makes me want to check out more new games in this genre. Maybe I just hated antiquated lives systems and overly strict fall penalties, neither of which this has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Play Mario Odyssey. It's the largely uncontested best platformer. No lives, free warping around levels, approachable but with an incredibly high skill ceiling, and an unbelievable amount of content. It's one of the best dopamine inducers mankind has ever produced.

i actually did play that when i got my switch way back in 2017, and forgot about it until now! but it's funny, i will say that my positive memories of that game are not about the actual platforming, and entirely around how weird and creative the environments and objectives are. the platforming in that game just seems like the mechanism through which you discover that, which is also why i never did any of the postgame stuff: the last thing i wanted was hard platforming challenges. i loved how creative that game was but never liked the part where i jumped on things.

pseudoregalia is the exact opposite: the platforming is the only point, and somehow i love it! the game has like 5 enemy types, like 3 boss battles, and only a few unique environments; you are not there to see what wacky things await around each corner but instead to master your traversal of the world. it's pretty fuckin cool.

i beat it last night (ended up being about 8 hours total). did end up using a map walkthrough to grab the last couple major objectives, and had to get hints for where to pick up the last few powers - i didn't pick up the wall kick and wall ride until VERY late in the game, so had to do a lot of extra backtracking to find the areas i was supposed to have been going with those. would love to see what the developer does next.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

unrelated question: is Spider-Man Miles Morales a game that stands up on its own? i don't usually have the patience for full-size open world games, but kinda love the idea of standalone spinoffs - the only infamous i ever played through was first light, lol - and i've also heard negative things about the original game's cop-centric storyline. would jumping straight into Miles Morales be reasonable?

otoh it's still $30 while original Spider-Man is $36 and like three times as long according to HLTB so i guess it's a "worse deal," weird pricing there

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

If Dark Forces remastered does good they’ve said they’ll keep going I think…

I played through Dark Forces for the first time like a month before the remaster was announced and I thought it was great. It has one glaring flaw: limited lives. After three deaths, you have to restart an entire level. I ended up using cheats on the last couple levels purely because I did not want to chance having to replay the whole level because I botched a jump. If the game just had a normal checkpoint system, it would have aged perfectly (except for some of the level design, but that's every old shooter).

I tried to move on to Jedi Knight and fell off pretty quick because the controls for the powers are really awkward and the level design is really rough. I don't think Nightdive tends to touch game balance or level design but I wonder if improved controls would be enough for me to like it.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy both had recent Switch ports, so guessing they wouldn't be getting a remaster any time soon, at least not of the kind Nightdive does.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if they really wanted summons to act as difficulty modifiers they should patch pre-nerf Mimic Tear back into Elden Ring because I cannot imagine beating Malenia without it

really, I think summons are kind of a wack mechanic both in AI and co-op forms because of how all over the place the balance is. memories of watching Vinny from Giant Bomb's playthrough of Dark Souls where he got stuck on Seath, decided to do a co-op summon since it seemed like it'd be a fun way to make it a bit easier, and the player he summoned had taken off half the boss's health before he'd even run down the hill to it. at least difficulty modifiers around damage scaling wouldn't let you completely avoid engaging with the mechanics of a fight

AI summons generally avoid this problem, I will admit, with Elden Ring's ghosts being kind of a different thing from what we traditionally consider summons. but I do feel like there are a lot that wind up either being just overpowered enough it makes the fight feel cheapened, or so underpowered all they do is give you about five seconds of taking aggro before they get owned

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Incidentally, I quit Grime somewhere about half/ 3/4th of the way since I couldn't handle the puzzle platform mechanics required for progressing. So it doesn't fill me with gleeful expectation.

Prince of Persia apparently gives you the option to skip particularly difficult platforming segments. I'm a little ambivalent about this: I like Metroidvanias and suck at platforming so on paper this should be good for me, but I also hate admitting defeat.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

imagine having an empty backlog and not a spreadsheet of 50 games that you carefully narrowed down from a list of things you actually own or have access to via subscription services

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Fraud is on sale for $5 so I picked it up and played through it over an evening. Simple but fun game with endearingly stupid (and funny!!) writing that didn't wear out its welcome.

the sequel just came out and is on game pass, HLTB has it at 4 hours so i figure i will play it soon

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

been a long time since i've played guacamelee, but i remember the fights in it always being discrete "we're going to lock the doors and spawn a bunch of guys in" rooms, whereas in prince of persia enemies are just part of the normal environment traversal (though there are of course a few arena fight segments)

otherwise, yeah, pretty similar?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mr.Acula posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good kvm switch or something like that? My idea was to get a steamdeck eventually and have something that can just switch my mouse/keyboard/speakers/monitor etc between my old pc and the docked deck.

my advice on this is that it tends to be much easier to get a reliable USB switch than to get a full KVM switch. usb 3.0 four-port switches are like $25. if you have speakers that can accept two inputs and a monitor that can accept two inputs, it'd probably be easier to just switch those manually

if you really just want basic 1080p60 for both devices then a KVM might be ok. if you ever upgrade to a desktop that uses gsync/freesync, though, you'll be in trouble since that requires displayport, and i think the world of displayport KVMs is $$$$

fwiw my desk setup is a 4-port USB switch hub, a monitor that has a displayport input for my desktop and an hdmi input for whatever i feel like plugging in, and speakers that have a usb input that is plugged into the USB hub. then i have a simple usb-c power/hdmi/usb-a dongle that i can plug into my work laptop, steam deck, or nintendo switch. i don't really plug in the deck unless i'm doing weird linux stuff that's easier at a desktop, but it works fine when i do.

it's been a few years since i've looked into the KVM world so i'm happy to be proven wrong on any of this if there is a better KVM out there now, fwiw

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Okay this skating game looks very, very cool

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295630/Helskate/

i guess i should try the demo, see if they actually nailed the feel at all

if you want a game that is Literally Just Tony Hawk you need to wishlist https://store.steampowered.com/app/2005910/Olliefrog_Toad_Skater/ asap because the demo feels awesome

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

for as mixed as avengers was, at least they didn't just give every avenger a gun and have them play the same

suicide squad is basically a sequel to anthem

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

here's some demos i played:

Slave Zero X (45 minutes) - This is a prequel to a 1999 Dreamcast mech FPS by Infogrames. The prequel is, obviously, a 2.5D side-scrolling character action game with huge sprites that very much feels like a cross between a 2D fighting game and a beat-em up, including the parry system from Street Fighter III. Also, they made an hour-long Quake mod as a prequel to this new prequel, which you can play now inside the Steam version of Quake. Normal poo poo.

I have no loving idea why this game exists but it's pretty cool. It's actually out in one week (I think this is a demo that long predates this Next Fest). The combat got kind of repetitive against regular enemies, but I really liked the boss fight, and the game oozes style. Immediately wishlisted the full game.

Helskate (20 minutes) - Folks, you won't believe this, but yet another indie dev has taken a crack at a Tony Hawk clone and failed miserably to replicate its feel. I know, after Skatebird, you'd think everyone would have learned - and the one other indie game I know in this space, Ollie Frog Toad Skater, has actually felt awesome in every demo and I can't wait for it - but, alas, they kinda hosed this one up.

It's also a weird game - it's a roguelike, and it has combat. Basically, mid-skate (including mid-combo), you can use the shoulder buttons to do sword attacks on enemies. But it also has THPS-style objectives - combos, collect SKATE, things of that nature. Oh, and run upgrades that do things like "launch a fireball when you do a pop shuv-it."

It's not good! It feels kind of lovely, the camera is horrendous, it's surprisingly unfinished for a game launching in early access next week. But, hey, I'll keep an eye on it in case they pull it together. The demo does launch with a window saying "hey! This is still super work in progress, and we're working hard on the camera and controls," but that rings a little hollow if they're about to go into early access in this state.

Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley (30 minutes) - I don't know who the hell Snufkin is, let alone what a Moomin is, but this game is a charming, melancholy little wander-around-doing-basic puzzles adventure. It did have a delightful surprise in an anti-authoritarian ethos that immediately has Snufkin loving with the police. Not sure the final game will really have much to it, but it's supposed to be out in the next few months, and I'll definitely pick it up if it's cheap. Also has music by Sigur Ros??

Tales of Kenzara: ZAU (50 minutes) - It's already been a big year for roguelikes between Momodora 5 and Prince of Persia The Lost Crown, and here's another one coming out in April. This feels very similar to The Lost Crown, which is a good thing. It's published by EA, and is by a new studio run by the actor who plays Basim in Assassin's Creed (who, of course, also voices the main character). At only $20, I assume this will be a much smaller game than The Lost Crown, which isn't a bad thing. The combat feels good and tight, the traversal feels solid though there's only a couple real challenges in the demo, the art looks great (really feels like "what if The Lost Crown didn't target 60fps on the Switch and instead had the full power of the Unreal Engine"), and the voice acting is, unsurprisingly, very good, even if the story doesn't really develop much in the demo.

I was disappointed the demo didn't have a boss fight, but I pulled up the trailer and see a number of bosses with big health bars, so I look forward to seeing them in the final game. Immediately wishlisted this one, can't wait.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Jossar posted:

Hmm, maybe try out the demo for Echo Point Nova, if you haven't already? It's not quite the same thing, but it's by the Severed Steel devs and involves a lot of shooting people while grinding on a hoverboard.

I'd try it out, but I didn't like Severed Steel, so don't really expect that I'd enjoy it independent of the game's quality.

this appears to just be counter-strike surf so i am absolutely installing this demo right now

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the demo for Ultros is the sickest poo poo I've ever seen, and somehow this game is out in 5 days. it's a metroidvania with ok movement and combat but, more importantly, the wildest environment i've seen in a video game. everyone go play this, it looks incredible: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2386310/Ultros/

2024 the year of the metroidvania. i've still got like 4 more metroidvania demos to play too

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 8, 2024

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

explosivo posted:

Just a friendly reminder to set a global FPS limit in your video card control panel so you never have to worry about your video card exploding from a shittily made game.

I learned my lesson from original Minecraft. I didn't know FPS could be 3 digits before that

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Slave Zero X is almost as much a single-player fighting game as it is a beat em up - the one boss fight in the demo was really challenging in a good way, and the game has some inputs that almost seem made for fight sticks (though I don't think there's any quarter-circles or moves that would be hard to do on a normal controller).

I'm curious how fighting through random trash is in the final game - it got pretty darn repetitive in the demo, and I'm worried it might just end up being filler between boss fights.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that trailer makes it look like you should be using the yoyo 100% of the time. is there some kind of limit that prevents that? cause i dont know why anyone would walk anywhere in that game if you could instead ride your yoyo and slingshot everywhere

Riding on the yo yo is really hard because you basically fire off in a direction and then can't easily turn.

I really wanted to like this game because I've liked some of these new indie 3D platformers (loved pseudoregalia!), but I think I kind of actively hate it. Everything requires a level of precision that is really hard to nail, especially with the fixed camera. The penguins loving suck, I hate how the camera is zoomed out so far that I can barely see any detail in the environments at times, I have a ton of trouble lining anything up, and the first set of levels has very little variety and the same color palette and music through it so it felt repetitive very quickly.

I think I'm gonna refund it because I can't really imagine it developing into something I like. Always hate doing an "it's not fun" refund on an indie game but they really should have put up a demo, it is pretty obvious within half an hour of playing if this game is for you or not.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

kazil posted:

$60 for a 4 year old game of course

when they do a lot of work to it and it's a game that large, I don't really mind. it'll probably get a $45 sale within the next six months, maybe $35 or $40 around the holidays

this thing supports 48:9 with triple monitors, I am not sure I have ever seen a non-racing/flight-sim game support that :eyepop:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

GMG has Ghosts of Tsushima preorder for $50: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-pc/

will probably wait until close to release to do this since I think the GMG preorder discounts stick around until the game launches. hopefully by then there'll be some impressions to know if it runs well on PC, though I think there haven't been too many problems with recent Sony PC releases (really just Horizon and Last of Us seemed to be messy, and at least the former was fixed up?)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

No it's Sony's prestige 3rd person action game.

the one with samurai, not the one with mythical gods, sci-fi dinosaurs, zombies, the other one with zombies, or the one with super-heroes.

don't forget that sony have another big 3rd person samurai game coming out in two weeks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_R%C5%8Dnin

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

their reasoning is probably "if we had made this a live game, we would have steady returning income from all of these players for a lower cost than it will be to make hogwarts legacy 2"

they're probably right to an extent, but probably not to the extent that they think. it is kinda silly because a fuckin hogwarts game does seem like it would naturally lend itself to that structure, can always add on new episodic story bits and stuff. reading the plot on wikipedia it kinda seems like the game is structured to have a narrative reason for the "postgame" (basically you beat the big baddie, but then you still have to finish the school year and do well on your exams or whatever). they could, at the very least, have had the level of post-release support that the average assassin's creed game gets, just selling some more poo poo in the open world you already built. but this is wb so of course the one time they actually had an opportunity for easy money they just loving ignored it lol

making something a live game doesn't just mean it's always online and has a gear score, you can still have two years of DLC and season passes or whatever without that. hell half the reason suicide squad kept getting delayed was because they kept panicking and trying to remove "live game" elements like gear score, which it turns out, did not help at all because that's not the actual problem with a lot of live games!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

In the new Harry Potter: Hogwarts Legacy Connected we've decided we're going to accurately model the world of Hogwarts! If you want to join the coveted Slytherin house you'll need to grease some palms. Only 5000 Gallions ($59.99) and you can be Lucius Malfoy™ and get your son into the house of your choice. And for just another 5000 you can start off with the Popular Kid Starter Set which including a Nimbus 2001 Racing Broom™ for you AND your entire Quiddich Team. (Note: Nimbus 2001 Racing Broom™ outperforms standard racing brooms available to standard players)

Worried that you can't keep up? Don't worry, free to play players (also known as Weasleys) will still get a starter set which includes Textbook, Rat and Wand. (Warning: Wand may not be customized, has a 10% chance to backfire.) See, being a poor isn't all bad!

can't say it's not accurate to the books

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

why don't these guides ever show running stuff on not max settings? I play on a 3070 with 1440p, I never run anything new and AAA at max settings but i can still run just about anything at 60fps with no issues by tweaking a few things

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this discourse makes me want to buy the stupidest possible DLC out of spite

yes, sure atlus, i will absolutely pay you $2.99 for (checks description) two character portraits of persona 5 characters for etrian odyssey 2

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

queeb posted:

yeah i think im done with buying new release games in canada

i can afford it but its like, a video game is not worth 110 dollars holy moly, im transforming into a patient gamer in my old age (40)

looks like thats about 78 USD which is about what i'd pay for that with NY sales tax, but yeah ive decided im gonna wait on DD2. nothing to do with this DLC stuff, more wanting to see if they fix up performance and capcom stuff tends to go on sale pretty quick

it is "only" $61 USD on GMG right now, dunno what the CDN discount is but if you're tempted: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/dragons-dogma-2-pc/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

meanwhile the El Paso Elsewhere dev announced their new game: Life Eater

hey: what the gently caress

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom's demo loving ruled, i am so excited for it

Botany Manor could be pretty good too given the demo, though seems like it'll probably be a lot simpler and easier than most of the recent deduction puzzlers. it looks beautiful so can't knock it too much.

the Biomorph and ZAU demos were both awesome, big year for Metroidvanias. for all the people who bitched about Prince of Persia being $50 and not looking great and being only on Ubisoft's platform, you better go fuckin buy ZAU for $20, it looks fantastic and plays well to boot. given the price and team size I'm pretty sure it's going to be about 1/5 the size, but hell, Prince of Persia was Too Much Game, so as long as this ends up feeling more complete than Momodora 5 did I'll be happy.

Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes and SaGa Emerald Beyond are both games I never would have thought about playing a few years ago, but now that I'm surprisingly into JRPGs, I am curious how the reviews turn out for those. will be adding to my already hosed up JRPG backlog of LADIW, Unicorn Overlord, and Etrian Odyssey 2, but hopefully by the end of April I'll have finished at least one of those... right...??? :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ok now that no one feels like they have to buy the puzzle sniping game that may or may not be good but will probably be fun to pick up on sale in the future, i highly recommend everyone buy 2024 GOTY Yellow Taxi Go Vroom today

picked it up yesterday thinking i'd play a bit and then get back to finishing Pepper Grinder and whoops there went three hours

i'm also looking forward to picking up Biomorph but at this point my Metroidvania backlog is almost as long as my JRPG one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Barreft posted:

Off the wall question, but I'm reinstalling nvidia drivers and you can make your own custom ai bot? Why the hell would anyone want that? I know AI is a scam I'm just really curious who needs to spend time training their own ai bot when they can just google and get a million results from bots.

It's a sex thing right? It's always a sex thing

Wait until you see the Logitech drivers