Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How do you assign mutlibutton functions (e.g., shift+4) in the new Steam Input interface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone know if you can add EA app games to Steam? Adding the game exe will launch the game, but without the overlay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know if you can add EA app games to Steam? Adding the game exe will launch the game, but without the overlay.

Adding the launcher works, but I’m not sure if you can do this on a per game basis (like you can with epic).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oops, thought I had one more day to put off checking what’s on sale

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Long title

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

In Doom Eternal how much time do you spend wandering around after everything is dead trying to find where the one open door is, or where the blue key was 8 screens ago? Is it less than in Doom 2016?

Might be less but there’s still a fair bit of exploration down time in Eternal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Exquisite tea, on off the chance that you see this before the sale ends, did you end up playing all the Titan Quest expansions? Which would you recommend?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for a last minute recommendation, if there's anything on sale. I'd like a game with great traversal. I'm thinking Gravity Rush, Just Cause 2, Spider Man, and to a lesser extent Saints Row 4. With GR/2 and JC2 I'd spend hours just roaming the world.

I'll give ME Catalyst another go since it's just $2, but that's not as laid back as what I'm asking for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so

Alternate take: the Ratchet games emulated (not the best or whatever, but very fun).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Resdfru posted:

Tell me more

I replayed a bunch of the R&C games last year through RPCS3, a PS3 emulator. It was great to see Tools of Destruction unshackled from 720p. It ran great for me (less slow downs than the original). I have a decent computer but not top end by any means. The CPU is the most important part.

The older games should be PS2 emulatable, but I stuck to the PS3 collection, which has native widescreen and some texture improvements iirc (and a few sloppy oversights). That should work on weaker PCs too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Resdfru posted:

Oh cool, will have to take a look at the compatibility list for RPCS3 again. I tried it for last of us when the TV show was announced but it didn't work great

Performance will largely depend on your CPU. You really want something that came out in the last couple of years, the newer the better, and preferably with at least six cores (though it’s not a hard requirement, and the CPU family can be more important than core count).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've been playing God of War because, well, it was a gift.
I'm not sure I really dig the combat, it just seems to give me so many options but I don't really need a single one of them. I just recently have started using this one spell that makes a bunch of wolves appear and attack the poo poo out of enemies but it completely trivializes combat, alongside all of the runes I've got equipped.

There is something about the game that makes me scratch my head - if you try to do something you don't have the item for, your son immediately shouts "I GUESS YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT ITEM FOR THAT" and thinking back, I've noticed in a lot of streamers that they tend to bash their heads against the wall trying to do something that's clearly impossible at the current stage of the game. So I was wondering how long does it take for you guys to figure you aren't the correct level/lacking the right key/item before moving on from a puzzle? This whole son tells you to come back later with upgrades mechanic feels like that one "maze" they removed from Half-Life 2 because of that one smoothbrained playtester.

I absolutely hate it when something looks like it might be solvable with clever thinking but is actually item gated. It was a big problem with Watch Dogs 2 for me. Lots of cool tools, but its puzzles usually have a very specific solution. They might require upgrades you might not have picked up yet.

I wasted so much time in that game trying to figure out puzzles I couldn't complete (didn't help that I played it directly after Prey which had the complete opposite design philosophy).

Resdfru posted:

I have a 12th Gen i5, just built pc last year. I read last of us is just poo poo emulated and I assumed most ps3 games were poo poo emulated so I never tried anything else

That should be perfect (better than mine). Idk how well TLOU plays, but you should always consult the RPCS3 wiki, which for major games will mention most issues and any solutions. Sounds like it might work fine with a few tweaks.
https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=The_Last_of_Us

btw, if you didn't know TLOU is coming to steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1888930/The_Last_of_Us_Part_I/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh, I didn't realize it was airing in a week

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just realized Codemasters took down Fuel when GFW* died, but never bothered relisting it. So it's been effectively abandoned for a decade.

*That was a dark period for pc gaming, glad it didn't last long.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't know, but it makes sense that this was made by Asobo (MS Flight Sim, Cloud Crackdown).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For a 14 year old game, and there's no hiding that it's from the PS3 era, FUEL has it's moments.

This is with some minor mod enhancements, but I don't think they touch the graphics much.

Not for everyone, but it's a neat, unique take on a racing game. Very hands off. Feels pretty modern that way.

Also runs great even on an older system. Over 100fps most of the time with a GTX 970/R5 2600X at 1440p. (Delisted from Steam).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

After updating to Windows 11, Steam identifies my Xbox Series controller as an Xbox One controller, which means losing the screenshot button.

Anyone figure this out for themselves? I updated the controller firmware via the Accessories app, but that didn't fix it.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 11, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

After updating to Windows 11, Steam identifies my Xbox Series controller as an Xbox One controller, which means losing the screenshot button.

Anyone figure this out for themselves? I updated the controller firmware via the Accessories app, but that didn't fix it.

toggling xbox extended feature support off and on, and restarting the pc again fixed it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I respect Legion for trying something different, but all of its original ideas ended up watered down and blended into generic Ubislop

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I still play and enjoy their games, but it's often a love hate relationship.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

By the way, WD: Legion was Clint Hocking's first game with Ubisoft since he left after Far Cry 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think they realized they crossed a line. They've had a number of controversial looking things since, but it always turns out to actually be quite safe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

zoux posted:

Wildlands is a really fun shooter where you can set up all kinds of fun ambushes and action set pieces and 100 kill stealth ops. The squad mechanics are great, the map is huge, the weapons are essentially aesthetic so it’s about maneuver and finesse. Breakpoint is a loving disaster of a game where they took what was a cult favorite and tried to turn it into a looter shooter and ended having to retroactively invent something resembling the mechanics of the first one but didn’t quite get there. Not to mention bullet sponge drones loving everywhere and changing the player character from a nameless cypher into a somehow even broodier Marcus Fenix. They laid out a lot of cash to get John Berenthal to mocap the villain so every cutscene is these two dudes growling and grimacing at each other.

Then a year ago they announce GR: Frontline and now it’s a multiplayer battle royale and the fan base went into a berserker rage and the backlash was so vitriolic they had to apologize, announce they were rethinking the direction of the game, and they ended up canceling the game six months later.

If I ever pick one up in a sale, which should I get?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

How was Freelancer in that regard?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone play Disciples: Liberation?

First impressions were decent but now I’m beginning to think everything is too slow. And the map is pointlessly littered with high level enemies. There was some of that in the originals, but usually you’d have to go out of your way to find them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I'm currently playing it and liking it a lot, although it is necessary to speed up combat animations before you die of old age. The units' abilities have interesting combinations and the story is a lot more responsive to your choices than you'd expect from a strategy game.

That being said I don't think it's gonna change much from what you've already seen. The enemy levels, however, are only really relevant on the first map or two - if you do sidequests, you'll end up overleveling 90% of random encounters (giving you a handy auto-win-battle option) and only having to do the trickier fights.

I think it’s an interesting evolution of the series. The battle system is good, but I’m not sure if I have the patience for dozens more of these low stakes but time consuming fights. But I’m not giving up yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Continuing my dive into PS3 era racing (I was impressed by Fuel), Blur is another four letter game that was delisted from Steam and essentially abandoned by its publisher.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sadly, pc gamers were spared that one

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is it just me or are Necromunda: Hired Gun’s gamepad controls pretty, or possibly very bad? Aiming feels loose and button choice seems poor (like binding dash to a stick click).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I basically can’t play at a desk anymore, at least for now, so m+kb is out of the question.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

credburn posted:

Oblivion was probably the greatest hype-to-disappointment plunge I've ever felt.

Coming to the game predisposed to over a decade's worth of negativity, I had the opposite reaction to Oblivion a few years ago. Not that it didn't have a billion issues, but there was a lot to like, and I think Skyrim was a regression in some respects even. (Undeniably, though, mods let me ignore some of the rougher edges.)

Runs kinda crap though. It could really do with an engine update.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 20, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One mod let me tame a pet mimic

I had to feed it gold to keep it from getting grumpy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I noticed that Big Picture mentions a music player in the settings along with directories to scan for music, but I can't figure out how to access the player. How do you turn it on?

e:it's in the Library

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 20, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm getting real mad cause bad at NFS Heat. I suck at driving, so I knew what I was signing up for, but my lizard brain still can't help but get frustrated.

It's also weird to be drifting with nothing but the gas pedal (you initiate a drift by letting go, turning, and then hitting the gas pedal again when still turning).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't follow it that closely so I don't know if this should be much of a surprise, but The Division seems quite good. The premise notwithstanding (and it's a bit hard to ignore when you're constantly ordered to shoot on "rioters"), I really like it so far.

The shooting feels great and the presentation is slick. And they did a really good job with the city. I'm not sure how to describe it but it both feels tightly designed and wide open like a real city (though it's not exactly; you usually need to take specific entryways to access mission areas).

It's been surprisingly tactical. It's the first shooter in a while where I'm consistently blind firing from cover (and feeling good about it).

And though it's been surpassed graphically, it still looks good. And there are a poo poo ton of art assets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. The season pass is $5 atm (on Ubi’s store), might pick it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Then again apparently Shadow of Mordor just retired the Nemesis Forge, Vendetta missions, and leaderboards so who knows how long SoW's Steamworks functions will be around either.

What? That’s lovely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Demilich posted:

I haven't played chess in years, and was feeling the urge. That's when I noticed my insanely old Chessmaster game was removed from steam.

Do you mean it was removed from your account? That's very rare, iinm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The combat in The Division is really top tier. I just had a fight I had to redo three times, but it felt well earned when I overcame it. (It was against three snipers in an area with no good cover, whilst being swarmed from different directions).

It's very good at making every little tactical decision matter, your positioning, where you set up your turret, whether you blind fire, even whether you reload mid-magazine. And you feel smart when you get it right.

And the AI is great. It's quite human both in how smart it can be, but also the mistakes it makes.

Here's an enemy patiently waiting for my turret to expire, only to expose themselves to my own fire when it does.

https://i.imgur.com/yWk5YmC.mp4

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also, Garrus is your AI Navi.