Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i liked ff7 and 9 way way way more than 10 fwiw. its beginning is so drat slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

*yelling loudly at the cashier* excuse me does this cereal have any GMOs in it??? i'm not allergic, i just need to know if it has a lot of GMOs or if its GMO free

lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RBA Starblade posted:

Dark Souls 2 was the best souls game until its sequel, Elden Ring

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OzFactor posted:

I love DS2 because it is the most Kings Fieldy Dark Souls game and I have yet to play ER but I am told it is similarly Kings Fieldy.

DS2 is weird as heck and certainly has some low points but the lack of cohesion is a strength, not a weakness. No, the world doesn't fit together in a meaningful way, but the whole thing feels like the perpetual dying fever dream of a dead civilization and that is cool. And, as mentioned, the DLC areas are exceptional. I would say the only thing that is certifiably negative about the game is that it's pretty ugly most of the time, especially when held up to DS3 which is still gorgeous.

Disagree, ds2 has colors, ds3 has some v attractive areas (irithyll! Dragon monastery place!) but the palette is so muted and dull a lot of the time

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yooka laylee impossible lair is a great donkey kong country game u can play on pc

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sundered is a fun weird game that would be better if it werent a roguelite imo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

pizza tower is p cool p cool i must say

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

most of the discussion of atomic heart on social media is absolutely insane galaxy brain poo poo like "the game has geraniums in it, geraniums are the name of Russian strike drones. checkmate, Mundfish???" and intentionally mistranslating labels of canned food that existed IRL, and not understanding that a game set in the 50s/60s will have stuff from the 50s/60s in it

the game itself could just be a mediocre Bioshock clone that is too aggro and horny, but that's not enough for people because then it can't be part of the culture war, so people are just zooming in on poo poo and freezeframing everything to look for their phoenix wright OBJECTION!! moment

meanwhile I'm still waiting for them to make the subtitles readable by human eyes and not for ants. i can't read any of the poo poo in the game!!!!

yeah this has put me off for the moment, it's crazy how tiny they are

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jack Trades posted:

How are they managing to make a worse game with every new iteration?

There was an interview with cyanide on... eurogamer? Kotaku? A week or two ago, and it seemed clear that Games Workshop was taking a, uhh, more 'active' role in design decisions. Would be shocked if godawful monetization wasnt implemented by their diktat

It was a bit sad, the dev was struggling even to articulate why there needed to be a third bloodbowl

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

it was only a matter of time before the vampire survivors bug spread to actual franchises

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2321470/Deep_Rock_Galactic_Survivor/

Whoa now! This has massive potential

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

LLSix posted:

A lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG would be amazing right now.

isnt this minecraft dungeons

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like if you're going to cheat cheevos on to your account, you might as well just accept that this is not a game you're going to platinum or whatever and move on with your life.

eh, there are edge cases. i accidentally enabled cheats on a pillars of eternity save once, disabled them but that was it for my highest difficulty path of the damned ironman run. didnt really feel bad about using achievements manager in that case

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Saxophone posted:

I absolutely adore Odyssey, but I always felt like that system was wasted. You can see where they were going and I don’t know if they just didn’t have enough time or that was really their best iteration or what, but it could have been a much cooler thing, chasing or being chased by a nemesis across all of Ancient Greece. Instead we just got HP sponges that we don’t really even get to know until after we’ve killed them.

There were two good things about the odyssey merc system: cheesing high level ones by punting them from heights, and triggering massacres of entire cities by getting them to clip a citizen with their swings

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Morter posted:

I've been doing martial arts and hack 'n slash games for the last 6 months. The one shooty game I played, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, I had fun with but it's not like I enjoyed the guns very much, wince everything was wacky and dumb.

So I'm looking for single player games with an emphasis on gun feel. A game I had with that, Receiver 2, is nice to behold but it's frustrating when dumb enemy spawns knock you down one tier and switches your weapons. That doesn't keep me sticking with it for long, sadly, so any gimmicks/spin may keep me away.

So good single player shooty games from the past couple of years, please throw them at me, thanks!

Edit: I'm open to EGS suggestions, too. Also Ubisoft

have you played doom eternal

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deakul posted:

Oh poo poo, this kind of sells me instantly.

Not that the martial arts aspect hadn't already, are there any other games out there that have great hand to hand combat and make you feel like you're in a Bruce Lee flick?

Sleeping Dogs
Such a fun game, surprisingly good VA and story as well

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

it seems like it would be easier to just make giant monsters that aren't arachnids but wdik

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

IceG posted:

It's a baffling design decision when I feel like what most people wanted was DD1 but in a better engine and more variety? Hopefully the carriage can be modded out somehow in the future.

I played a bit of the early access on Epic and really didn't like the roguelite style but it seems like they are rowing back on that with each update so maybe by v1 it will be in a better place.

I respect the wish of devs to change things up but man i bounced off that steam next demo hard. And yeah the apparent transition into another roguelite is basically the last thing i would have ever wished for.

But hey, the 3d art looks p fly

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I would also be curious if anyone has put some time into sands of salazar

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be happy to be the first then.

It's not bad but it is what it is and once you get acclimated to the visuals it's one of those sim games where you have 20 ways to accomplish something that isn't really that hard. That's not a bad thing in essence, it's good to be able to run missions in new ways when you replay them, but it never took me in like it did for seemingly a lot of people. I've played too many horror games to go "oh man using your guts as a grappling hook that's siiiiick".

lol

yea if u dont like imm-sims u wont like this imm-sim... mind blown

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

time to reinstall cruelty squad and see if i was just playing through vomit colored glasses

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RBA Starblade posted:

"Immersive sim" remains an incredibly stupid name for the genre

agreed but, as long as people know what ur talking about who cares

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

please confine your chicken cruelty to the diablo thread

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This demo made me realize that I want a Souls game with the souls combat ripped out and replaced with Darksiders 2 combat instead, and no other changes.

U should play darksiders 3!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

torchlight 3's on sale for 8 bucks... anyone played it enough to say whether it's as decent as the 2nd? I have a soft spot for the series but I'm not interested in being *completely* fleeced if it's a total trainwreck

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

welp. rip torchlight i guess

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, weren't the jurassic park games really bad?

u could be a velociraptor so that one is good

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

...that hair style was overwhelmingly prevalent among young women and state media in the constituent republics of the USSR during the first half of the 20th century. OP is in fact being a loving nut

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Assepoester posted:

Good to know, now who is famous for wearing that hairstyle during the first half of this century? Any guesses?

Hmmm... no, I just don't see it

Especially not when it comes to the marketing of the game

Seek help

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not comfortable enough with the history to say if they are right or wrong but "this is a common style" doesn't actually prevent certain styles from becoming associated with specific people. Shirley Temple, Veronica Lake, Farah Fawcett, etc. At its worse you get something like the Hitler Stache which is irrevocably tied to a specific individual despite it not being uncommon beforehand.

The game riffs on an early soviet aesthetic. This poo poo isnt complicated, theres plenty of actual reasons to think atomic hearts is garbage

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Private Speech posted:

Now that is crazy, but also an entirely different thing.

No its p much the same crazed phenomena

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

its a pretty faithful port of 5e with some balance tweaks

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kin posted:

gently caress me is Jedi Survivor boring.

Like the core gameplay is interesting enough, but it's like they designed a basic corridor game, realised it was too linear and then tacked on all these extra paths that lead you to a collectible. Most of which are just some cosmetic poo poo.

It's getting laughable just how many "shortcuts" you unlock because they're immediately after any puzzle jumping section which the game is littered with.

The worlds are now these giant sprawling things that feel pointless because most of your rewards for exploring any of the linear paths is just another colour for your lightsaber or another beard variant.

I'm sorta enjoying it but it's definitely starting to slog.

The whole thing probably would have been better with more, smaller regions with fewer collectibles.

Yeah p much. Pretty though, when performance isnt hitching

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

moot the hopple posted:

I just beat Symphony of War and liked it overall. I did lose patience for its lackluster writing by the end. When the epilogue for its cast popped up in the finale, I realized that I simply did not care about a single one. The core gameplay of recruiting and upgrading units and forming them into different squads and taking them into battle was pretty fun, though. If you've played Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Tactics Ogre, you should probably play on the higher difficulties to keep things challenging.

The game recently released its Legends DLC which is a pack of 8 missions, additional units, and artifacts. It contains backstory for some of the characters and world events, but again the writing is the weakest part of the game and struggles with even just making its characters one-note, much less actually interesting or believable. The missions themselves are kind of interesting and mix up the formula with different map challenges. The units and artifacts introduced by the DLC range from mediocre to sidegrades to outright OP. I wouldn't say any of it was actually essential, however. The game has a New Game+ mode with different difficulty settings, so if you feel compelled to play again after beating the base vanilla game, it might be worth it for you.

it's good bones, hopefully their writer has improved by the sequel I assume will come

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i wonder if Star Trek: Bridge Commander was any good.
Agreed that we need more 'subs in space' games

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FuzzySlippers posted:

That looks neat and I adored Highfleet. How is it as a single player game? I don't do stranger danger these days and there's no chance anyone in my gaming group would touch this,

I think it has a demo. Or did at some point

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The backgrounds look pretty, at least, which is a big part of the iso crpg allure

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StrixNebulosa posted:

So my phone is absolutely making it look worse than it is, but yeah, contrast is up way too high on KOA

.... which then led me to discover that my TV had itself set to "vivid" color mode instead of "just output what you're given" mode.

Anyways I'm sick and playing KOA because it's not very involved, fun, and easy to play while resting on a couch. Run around, do quests, look cool casting fireball.

I do genuinely like the setting of "if you do tarot readings and tell the future you're 100% correct and there's no way to change the future" and now this generic fantasy setting is just used to no free will, ever. Like that's weird and cool philosophically speaking, especially when applied to fae.

It's also a weirdly perfect way to justify main character syndrome. You're immune to fate gently caress yes. Local tarot readers hate you!

KoA was way more fun than i expected when i played it last year. Easy rec for anyone looking for an ARPG

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eason the Fifth posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2432860/MENACE/

Probably old news to a lot of you guys but I just heard about it, and it's from the Battle Brothers studio, so instant wishlist. Digging the "serious XCOM"/Aliens vibes but also kind curious what they'll do to differentiate their game from e.g. Phoenix Point or Fireteam Elite.

Wonder if women will still be an 'unrealistic' addition to the setting

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

huh, i guess toby fox did music for it which surprises me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hwurmp posted:

what would an actual postmodern RPG be like

would Hylics or Off count

it's perfectly fair to dub YIIK 'postmodern,' it's just that it also happens to be terrible

Hylics is very much capital 'S' Surrealist

Disco i wouldnt describe as particularly postmodern, it's 'just' a Marxist take on classic iso CRPGs

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 10, 2024