Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Elden Ring good. A friend started their playthrough recently and I started playing on a new character, a pure STR warrior I haven't played since DS3 (and I played the games in a reverse order, 3-2-1->ER). Probably won't have to patience to do everything on a same magnitude than on my first go, but it still feels good. I did the game first time around as an INT melee/mage and then changed to a faith build after finishing to exploit some of the better weapons available for my clean-up (since I missed a LOT of stuff, even if I tried to search for it)

I wonder how much of the angry feedback from other (western) devs back when it launched were internet exaggeration but it just baffles the mind how little hand holding a game generally needs and how much of it the games generally throw in your way nowadays. We live in an era where people will read walkthroughs on their first play not to play "wrong" so it's just so refreshing to have an open world game like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finished Chained Echoes a few days ago and it started to drag a bit towards the end. It may be because I tend to do sidequests and try to level up characters, but I maybe would've preferred a bit tighter experience. Otherwise I had fun with the game, although I don't think at any point I really bothered to do much combining or crystal tuning - it seemed like whenever I tried to put something in my weapon/armor, it didn't let me, or didn't let me combine because the other part was zero purity (?). One gripe I had were the optional party members, by the time you get some of them you have better options already. I did use Mikah to make random encounters go fast, but I don't think I ever used Egyl, Magnolia or Raphael at all.

Near the end some encounters and boss fights started to get so tough I had to turn down the difficulty just to get through, which was a bit disappointing, but at that point I just wanted to get through.

The ending was one thing that left me wildly unsatisfied, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today, to my shock, I discovered that Dark Devotion, Death's Gambit: Afterlife and Vigil the Longest Night aren't the same game. Despite having very similar art styles, being in the same genre, and having similarly wonky stories.

Has anyone else played them?

I think I played all of them for a bit. Death's Gambit didn't click with me at all, Dark Devotion got quite difficult somewhere after .. half way point? I don't actually know how much game was left when I quit but I did finish Vigil: The longest night, which is kinda my recommendation for a sleeper good game in the treaded soulslikecombatbutsomeprecisionplatforming genre. I think I would compare it most with Salt & Sanctuary, but with more realistic graphics. The dark atmosphere and the way the areas were connected really impressed me and I had fun throughout my gameplay.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Xenonauts 2 actually in demo phase?

Next thing you'll be telling me they're actually going to release Silksong

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I did enough runs to get me through the main story (about 10?) and that was about all I could take with all the failed ones, could not stomach the thought of adding more and more negative buffs every run.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Stoneshard these days? I remember in 2020 people said it was conceptually neat but unfinished as gently caress, and the dev guessed it'd be in EA for two years... but fast forward to 2023 and most of the reviews I'm finding say "Neat idea, very little meaningful improvement over 3 years". So is it actually worth considering, or is it one of those permanent tech demo/EA casualty guys?

The lead designer and some of the team are from Ukraine so there have been understandable delays. But AFAIK it's still coming along.

Dark and Darker: took me ages to find a group, a good while to start the round and I'm usually dead within few minutes. Need to look at controls to see if my rogue has stealth or any other way to dodge than walking away.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 7, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished my playthrough of Excavation of Hob's Barrow. A fun little game, great atmosphere and look. Maybe could've used some better progression because now effectively the first half of the game feels like just doing fetch quests and the other is solely solving puzzles in a crypt. But that's a minor nitpick. I really enjoyed it and recommend for everyone who wants some oldschool adventure gaming with a foreboding atmosphere.

The ending made me loving miserable though, although I realize they were going for a Lovecraftian story and they never end well for the protagonists.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Search action is a perfectly good term for a certain type of game that's not Metroid or Castlevania

And yes I realize it's mostly a pointless battle since so many people have adopted MV as the term to use by now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Similar feeling here. I didn't hate my time with it at all but it kinda feels like it ran out of energy somewhere near the end. And like you said, there's areas that feel like something was cut out.

I like the individual parts of it - the main hub and its people, the 'bring parts back on foot' concept, the open-ended way the world is built... but the whole of it doesn't mesh together well. I think it is an above-average search action game, however.

Count me in with similar Ghost Song experiences. The beginning felt incredibly atmospheric and exciting, but as the game went along, it kinda lost a lot of the mystery. Some areas existed simply for being somewhere to pick up a ship part, not much else. The ending left me wanting something more, even with the secret ending, which felt like "okay, and?" more than a big reveal.

But all in all a positive experience, it's just hard to be more memorable than some of the hallmarks of the genre.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

While waiting for Sons of the Forest, I've been playing something from my backlog - Gedonia. It looks and feels quite janky, but surprisingly fun to play, a little bit at least. The UI is familiar if you've ever played an open world ARPG or oldschool MMO's, with skill trees and various enemies scattered around.

There's a weekly deal on right now on Steam, if this kind of jank is your cup of tea:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114220/Gedonia/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

Yup. Charisma defines how many allies you can get- you can even get yourself a dog in the first town. I personally recommend a little agility too, just enough to get the dodge roll because it's brokenly good.

I went the other route and went with zero charisma. I'm trying to be some kind of battlemage with heavy armor/greatsword and some magic from various trees. I've been using the skeletons so far and they seem to soak up a good amount of damage and aggro and do a fair amount of damage themselves too.

So far I think I've cleared most of the landmarks on the first area apart from the cave in the middle and the giant wasp. Next up is the story quest with that delightful dark elf you can see in my screenshots, but I think I'm already somewhat overleveled for it at 13.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 21, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Also lmao that basically every quest's outcome is to be a huge rear end in a top hat to someone

Yeah, so far that's been my experience as well. There's always at least one option for quests where you're being a dick and/or extorting someone for money. It's kinda lazy that the good option is also usually just to give someone money. I wish there'd be more "okay, I'm willing to help you" and you'd actually have to do something.

I actually like that quests generally have different outcomes, but also agree with that one YT review that said that Gedonia tries to subvert your expectations so often that subversion becomes expected in a way.

For example, I was doing a quest in Ertoron where I was tasked to deal with a plague in the sewers. It turns out that there's some kind of rat queen living down there with some humans too, which was pretty interesting - but when I returned to the quest giver (whose family was living with the rat queen now, btw, on grounds of him being a douche too) I didn't have any necessary points for the skill checks and only remaining option was to go You bad! Now you die! which ended the quest. I guess the plague is still around? The entrance to the sewers also disappears and no one cares if you axe down a guardsman in the middle of the day on the market square. Maybe they all knew he was a douche.

Granted, my dark knight does not have any skills on charisma, but still felt kinda lackluster to simply end it there. (3 STR, 3 INT, 1 AGI)

I've enjoyed my playthrough a lot, got some nice gear from finishing the arena (although I sorely need a new 2-hander to replace my green ravaging axe). There's a weird dynamic between the PC, who is constantly optimistic and cheerful, and the main NPC Wyanna, who is constantly complaining and making sarcastic remarks about everything. Her voice acting is pretty horrendous but as a duo, I've really liked their adventures so far.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also you can buy a respec potion from Ertoron and I think you can make it yourself too with some points in Alchemy, but you can totally get rid of those wasted points.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm saving up for the Abomination on my Dark knight. I used skeletons in the very beginning to draw some aggro, but they do die really fast to be really useful. Just recently got the bone dragon (?) and he was hilariously OP, seems like made for boss fights since he's only up for a short time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Gedonia run has been bodyblocked by Zegrath, who is kicking my rear end completely. I can't get close to him and my minions die almost instantly. Not to mention he has a ton of HP and 1-2 - shots me even with armor. Is my only hope to load an earlier save and come back with arrows?

e: complaining helped as usual, but I had to abuse saving in the middle of the fight - his position resets but the health does not

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 24, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Gedonia

After struggling with Zegrath for a while, I then struggled with the warriors' guild epic quest (Protect the caravan from demons) and found out that the skill "Stun" was the answer to that one - but now I hit the wall with Darklands. I'm wearing Kainite armor and weapon and some trinkets from the warriors' guild relics merchant (which are very, very good), but the jump to Darklands feels like a huge step in difficulty. I tried some world bosses and the "destroy the spawning point" event, but the dozens of mobs just annihilate me. I suppose I would need a better weapon, but even with best crafted gear, this place feels like too hard at the moment (granted, I still have the lower right corner zone left to explore - maybe I'll head there next).

I'm guessing companion builds would have an easier time, I did try the Diplomat set to go with Starwalker for a while and he did a lot of damage - but I just don't want to give up an armor slot for that.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 25, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I wrapped up Gedonia! The end was a bit of a slog - it doesn't matter how much armor or hp you stack, you're dying in two or three hits tops (and a lot of dungeon bosses will just one-shot you regardless). A lot of hitbox jank too but it's one dev, so cut them some slack :v:

I also managed to finish the game yesterday (story+Darklands final bosses). After struggling a bit in Darklands, I bought some more Warriors' guild gear and especially the epic Sword+Shield combo made all the difference. I realized that the sword crit so hard and hit so fast that my blood magic passives basically kept my health topped if I just kept pressing the attack button. The enchant weapon skill did a ton of damage too with maximum spell buffs and took care of smaller mob groups in one hit.

One thing I liked was that the whole world was not fully mapped, not only the zones that are not in the game yet but the various mountain areas between zones too, with camps and villages and even hidden boss encounters + secret mounts. Makes you feel like you're exploring since even the map makers didn't quite know what's in those areas. Travelling feels a bit slow but you get some spells (teleportation, flight) to help you and the best mount dragon also makes life a lot easier.

All in all a very enjoyable experience, kinda surprised me how fun it was to play. It's very ambitious for a one dev project. There is jank but the good kind of jank, definitely recommending for someone who wants to play an some open world adventure game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whats the Wizard gameplay like in Gedonia? How doe sspell casting work? Most people I've seen talk about it seem to go for rogues or warrior types.

I wanna be a Wizard or a Witch, whatever wears a cool pointy hat, brimmed hat.

I would guess it's very powerful, at least the one follower I had briefly was wreaking havoc everywhere with his spells.

Read about mage builds primarily using lightning as main and then fire + take the magic overload skill from Arcane tree to the max and use it 3 times for maximum carnage (I had that one as well on my Dark Knight build). Look into joining the mage's guild as soon as you can for some epic relics (if it's anything like the warriors' guild).

However respeccing is so easy you can try different things out. 3 points in alchemy can craft the Oblivion potion and it only costs 1600 gold to buy anyway. Really maybe one thing I would've liked would be crafting skills be separate from the traditional skill points you gather and have progress in them some other way. Now I basically just specced into crafting to see what I need, then craft it and re-spec back.

Lakbay posted:

Thank you Gedonia posters for making me look up the game, I bought it and I've put about 6 hours into it and I'm having way more fun than I was expecting

Really at this point with so many people posting the exact same experience the tagline for the game should be "Gedonia - way more fun than you expected"

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 26, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Never heard of Dredge before today but it sounds like a chill and stressful time all in one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Vb-a2OLHc

I learned about it from the Demofest back in last October or so and I've been eagerly waiting for release, that little bit I played only made me incredibly anxious to find out if they can deliver with the full game. It's coming out later this month and I can't wait to play it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've bought both Axiom Verge 2 and Salt & Sacrifice from Epic store since they were exclusives. Not much else, though. I think we had GTA V from there when it was suddenly free and everyone in my gaming group wanted in on that.

Next one I'm probably gonna pick up will be the Return to Moria. I mean, a survival crafting game featuring LoTR lore and dwarves is like made for me, no matter how jank it is.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Looked this up and I know I have a friend who would love to co-op it. Does it have an eventual Steam release planned or is it EGS forever?

No idea at this point, last I saw was the release set for "spring 2023" but so far at least I haven't seen any gameplay videos yet, which makes me think the estimate might be a bit optimistic. But I would imagine it'll eventually come to Steam too, has there been any EGS exclusives that haven't even after a year?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FutureCop posted:

I was a bit curious about Wolcen combat as well, and I'd be looking to get it for just offline as well: I feel like I heard it leaned more towards active combat, such as actively dodging/blocking damage instead of handling it old-school style through passive chance or facetanking/chugging potions, but I'm wondering if I'm mistaken.

Speaking of combat feel, I'm trying out Gedonia and this...this is a level of jank beyond what I'm usually dealing with. I thought this would be Elex tier or so, but it's feeling even below that. You all are braver explorers of jank than I give you credit for and I might've found my limit: I'll give it a bit more, but this might be ripe for refunding...

Keep at it. I certainly had a wonderful time with Gedonia, even if the combat is janky (well the game is in general). It does require a bit of jank tolerance but it's a very charming game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm finally playing Return of the Obra Dinn and it might have the best "Feeling Incredibly Overwhelmed By Game Mechanics At The Start" to "Feeling Incredibly Satisfied When You Actually Start To Figure Stuff Out" - ratio I've had in years. The last story based mystery games I played recently - Pentiment and Case of the Golden Idol - were also very good in this regard.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have a couple friends saying Last Epoch is quite good if you are looking for PoE/Diablo style action. I have never been a fan of said genre (tried D IV beta briefly over the weekend) but since it has multiplayer now am planning to try Last Epoch out when it hits a sale again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1562430/DREDGE/

DREDGE - a fishing game with a horror/mystery flair - is now available. I was immediately sold by the demo back last fall and didn't want to play very long to save myself for the full release, so I'm hoping it will deliver.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After a few hours with the DREDGE, I can already say I'm having a lot of fun. It has a great, foreboding atmosphere and the fishing / upgrading your ship and gear is fun. There's a very sinister feel of everything not being exactly as the townspeople are describing it to be but I have no idea where this is gonna go.

And when you are sailing around at night time, put those lights on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Pirate Captain posted:

Does Dredge play well with a controller?

No idea, I'm playing on M+KB, but I can give a controller a test. It's Deck verified, I think, so I'd imagine it would?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just finished with DREDGE myself too.

I agree with the others that the last area or two perhaps felt a bit too gimmicky but nevertheless I still had a lot of fun with the game. I even enjoyed the little bit of story there was. The fishing was enjoyable, although towards the end the one special skill you get made it a bit too easy to get the rare ones - but I guess it's fine since you're nearing the end there. It still had a pretty exciting atmosphere throughout and especially the night romps were sometimes quite hectic.

For me it was a 12+ hours to the ending and I felt like I got my money's worth, and I will still continue for a bit to get the things I missed. Although I'm guessing the good ending was not the one where I brought my wife back from the dead against her specific wishes and woke up the loving Dagon in the process, eh?

And by the way, once you go for an ending, the game tells you so very clearly and then you can continue later to get another one if you like or just continue playing (I didn't get all the upgrades yet nor all the fish, and I definitely plan to try).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

But, but, but, I liked the cave dungeon systems in Stardew Valley.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also enjoyed Crimes and punishments a lot, it actually felt like detective work and.. well, like Sherlock Holmes. I do want to know if there is stupid poo poo like combat in the Awakened remake before trying, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Northern Journey- I will recap what I said when I originally played it;

It's a fantastic game, but I bounced off hard towards the end. It bummed me out a lot since it has a perfect atmosphere, characters, interactions.. but the combat set pieces towards the end got really boring to me (especially a certain underwater scene) but I did continue from there. I honestly think that with less combat and just focus on adventure it would've hit 100% for me, but of course YMMV. It's definitely worth checking out though, a single dev project that tries to do something different, and all the designs are incredible. It just didn't click with me towards the end.

And if anyone hasn't played Pentiment or Case of the Golden Idol, get on it immediately!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

Metroidvania Afterimage is out now, had an eye on this one for a bit so I hope it's good. Reviews are currently 71% positive.

I think the artwork looks great on the surface and vibes are one of the most important parts of a metroidvania so it's on the right track & I hope the world design can match it. post impressions if anyone tries it.

It looks nice, and one review ticked a couple of boxes for my metroidvania needs by saying that the map is huge and there's a lot of optional stuff, but I'm gonna need some more reviews to go by.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The mention of brutal boss and even normal enemy difficulty puts me off somewhat. There are some games where normal mobs are just tedious to kill, especially if you have to make the same run over and over.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWtCDfYo-I

I have absolutely no idea if Kalevania is going to be good, but it'll be releasing tomorrow and there's not many games made based on Finnish mythology compared to our nordic and slavic neighbours, so I'll be picking it up for sure!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2387950/Kalevania/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Case of the Golden Idol DLC missions are so good, I have cleared the first two (what a pain that second one was) and I already know it's gonna leave a huge craving for more when I finish.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Was it the cipher key? That had me stumped for a bit.

It was incredibly confusing and even after solving it successfully I'm still not sure what transpired considering there are at least two simultaneous conspiracies going on at the same time.

I aced the geographic puzzle and the cipher which I was very proud of, but had to really ponder about who had allegiance with whom and who actually knew what was going to happen. I suspect I will know more about the big picture after the third mission, but overall the 2nd one was one of the hardest and more satisfying missions of the whole game.

About the duck: you are meant to deduct that drawing a line from the ends of the crescent points to south and since that's where the duck is, the city we are on is directly north of the duck.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 7, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One of the worst launch experiences for me dates all the way back to 1998 when I got Fallout 2, I don't remember if it was for christmas, but around christmas time anyway. The launch version was such a huge buggy mess I couldn't even finish the game. Back then it wasn't as easy to patch a game, and I didn't have as much information on where to even look. I did get a patch eventually but I remember being very disappointed thinking "how can a legit game company willingly release a game in this condition??" when I wasn't as cynical (yet).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would've preferred a remake of FF7 with updated graphics and everything else - including the plot - exactly the same, but I can understand why they didn't want to. For me they changed too much, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

It definitely violated decorum and Walker will never get to interview anybody again but Molyneux deserved it.

IIRC the first winner of his cube game was supposed to get a cut of its profits. Some kid won and Molyneux never paid out.

I don't know if Moluneux believed all that stuff himself or if he actually is a pathological liar or both but he definitely deserved that. The interviewer knew that Godus is not going to get made and as I understand it, it's pretty much vaporware at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

The Gollum game is truly wretched and sequesters stuff like a lore menu and fully-recorded VA swaps for the elves from Eng to Elvish (!!!) behind the 70 dollardoo version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E21qSEyRa88

lol

"Why the gently caress is there a bird breeding minigame in a Gollum game?!?"

e: Aside from terrible content, the game also seems to have all kinds of technical marvels like glitching face textures and NPC beards which point up when they look up, not to mention shoddy performance to top it off

What a shitshow for 60$.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 25, 2023