Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

7 days to die alpha is at the decade point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

nice, those are the dread x collections I dont have. can finally complete the set

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jack Trades posted:

I tested AssCreed Valhalla, because I was looking for something inoffensive to play with a controller, and holy poo poo the combat feel so bad in that game. I don't remember Odyssey feeling so awful.
Every attack sends your character flying forward and it feels like you're slapping the enemies with pool noodles, and when attacks hit you there's no feedback at all. I didn't even notice most of the time that I was hit at all.
It's particularly lovely even compared to other lovely Ubisoft games.

Maybe check out victor vran for an inoffensive ARPG? It's been a few years since I played, but I don't remember anything bad about it and the way it ties movesets to weapons is pretty cool. It lets you mess around with different playstyles fairly painlessly.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

A buddy of mine keeps bugging me to play this Backrooms game with him. This bundle includes it and a bunch of other games for less than the game alone costs on Steam. Pretty good deal, I guess!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Shadows of Doubt is great, it's pretty buggy but they all seem like simple bugs, just a lot of them. Performance optimization is probably the biggest hurdle after content, the random murders are fine but sometimes they can be a bit simple.

Unless you miss obvious evidence like I did during probably my favorite murder case I've solved so far. After my initial investigation I thought my only leads were a fingerprint, and where the victim worked. No previous calls, no suspicious emails, no notes of a meeting at a diner, nothing else. So I go to where they work, make a big mess of it, giant to-do for no reason, but I eventually discover gently caress and all. None of the employees have anything to do with the murder, all different fingerprints, there was a nice diamond to steal in a desk, but no other leads. So I go to their spouse's workplace and wouldn't you know it, nothing again. So back to the apartment I go, where after another 10 minutes of looking around I find a balled up note, under the bed, with the killer's fingerprints on it, and it just says "let's play a game" and then has a word jumble that spells their name. They live in the apartment below the victim and refuse to answer my questions no matter how much money I have...but when I knock again later and their partner answers I don't have to pay a dime to get inside, get their fingerprints, find the gun, and arrest the murderer. Could've had it done in like 5 minutes if I had found that note. Whoops.

Another murder happened 5 minutes after I finished that one. I did a pretty thorough investigation but still only had a fingerprint, BU, and a few shoeprints that didn't match the residents or the enforcer guarding the door. On my way to their workplace I stop in a convenience store, I recognize the clerks name and think "weren't they the lady I arrested for a side-job hours ago?" so I break into the back room to find out. While going through the employee records I find hers and recognize the old fingerprint, U, so I guess that arrest didn't stick or they're out on bail. I check the other records...fingerprint BU...I found the murderer by loving chance. Prints, name, photo, etc. Probably the fastest murder case I've solved.

My favorite case wasn't a murder, someone had a jade necklace walk-off while they were out. They told me it was probably someone they knew and the times when they were out etc. I searched for evidence and found ziltch in their apartment. Decided to scan the front door for prints thinking they'd have to touch it to get in probably, found a print labeled AA which didn't match the occupants, so I start by getting prints from their co-workers' records, none are AA. I look at the person's address book and just start going through people in their building. Their neighbor across the hall has an AA print. So I wait for them to leave, break-in, and toss the place. No necklace. Part of the task is to wreck up the culprit's apartment in revenge (optional). So I toss some of their booze on the floor, drink all their milk, vomit in the trash, and toss the carton on the couch. I throw something throw the window breaking it and decide to go to the person's workplace to see if they have the necklace in a locker or something. They work in a factory cafeteria. Lot of security, big hassle, they had no locker. At this point the first murder case I mentioned starts up and I get into that, it's in the same building, so it was convenient. In the middle of that I find a security room on like the 7th floor and it has security footage, so I check the second floor's footage during the times mentioned and there's one of the person's co-workers who lives across town in a basement lurking about. I go over there, find the necklace, skip trashing the place cause they had no kitchen to supply it and gently caress grabbing outside trash. Case complete, with one neighbor's apartment loving destroyed because they touched another neighbor's door once. My bad.

I'm gonna go see if I can figure out the last side-job I accepted where the only instructions I received were "Ask the staff for Garcia". No idea which staff at what business...so...not too hopeful about solving this one.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 25, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Kinda sounds like cyberpunk dystopic Jessica Jones simulator and I'm up for it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

procedural Columbo game sounds super cool. Def gonna keep my eye on it until it finishes early access

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Brightman posted:

Shadows of Doubt

I'm gonna go see if I can figure out the last side-job I accepted where the only instructions I received were "Ask the staff for Garcia". No idea which staff at what business...so...not too hopeful about solving this one.
If you pick up one of these in City Hall they're apparently just broken, but if you pick them up in a bar you're supposed to ask the staff of the bar about them

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Well Valve finally blocked the old Steam app from connecting to the chat servers so you now have to use their fresh new pisstake of a separate app for that. If you even CAN use it.

Given how my first move when opening the old app was always to immediately try to shut off and disable the chat -- this is a welcome change.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
From what I recall, The Tower is being worked on alongside a rather extensive visual novel. It is, however, a bit like with Secrets of Grindea where it's just happening very slowly in the background.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

7 days to die alpha is at the decade point.

They’re about to do an update that completely changes (again!) a major game system too.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Threep posted:

If you pick up one of these in City Hall they're apparently just broken, but if you pick them up in a bar you're supposed to ask the staff of the bar about them

Ah, that makes sense, I did get it at City Hall, thanks. Also Garcia wasn't a surname so looking them up was a no go, so I dropped the case.

Took another where I had to throw a hot dog in someone's face and I ended up spending more money getting people to let me into their apartments than it paid, but I'm like 13 hours in so money isn't an issue.

HopperUK posted:

Kinda sounds like cyberpunk dystopic Jessica Jones simulator and I'm up for it

This is an accurate description. I haven't found any of the fun upgrades that would make that more true yet, some helpful ones like speeding up lockpicking and more inventory slots, but I know there's one for fall damage negation which looks really fun.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

procedural Columbo game sounds super cool. Def gonna keep my eye on it until it finishes early access

Which one?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried Shadow of Doubt last night and honestly I am not sure if I am sold. More specifically, there are status effects in the game and I find that to be annoying; while I was crawling in the air ducts trying to escape a building I had my character start getting cold, which manifests in you starting to shake. Then later I learn that there is thirst and hunger to keep track of, apparently? It just felt like too much bullshit at the time. Granted, I hear that you can turn those settings off, but I already made my return by then.

Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind and I may give it another try at some point, but...i dunno how to put it, I just did not vibe with the game

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 26, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

mycot posted:

I think The Consortium was a complete game that could be beaten and was not intended to be updated, but it ended on a cliffhanger/sequel hook. But instead of following up on the sequel hook that everyone wants them to do, they're just making remakes of the first game over and over again :psyduck:

This remaster/VR release has them bringing all the assets into UE4; the original Consortium was built on Source and famously had lots of performance issues and game-breaking bugs (understandable considering it was made by a small team and the game's ambitions). They did patches years after release that attempted to overhaul parts of the game and fix the worst issues but it still fell a bit short.

Now with this remaster and VR release, you have to wonder: Does it make sense to spend so much time and resources on a game that never got that much attention anyway and was a highly niche product? The devs maintain that this port was cheap to make and serves as a way to reintroduce the game to a new audience (they did receive an Epic MegaGrant to make it). They're also planning on making a mobile version of The Consortium, since UE4 ports so easily... which, uh, guys, really? Have you seen the modern mobile market? How is that going to work?

Anyway, the argument that a rerelease increases visibility makes some sense, but only if you're able to then maintain momentum and actually release something new after that. The Tower has now also been moved over to UE4 but it appears to still be stuck in limbo - and to make matters worse, the head guys kinda stopped working on it and wrote Whispers From The Rift, a multi-choice visual novel ("over 100 unique endings") in the meantime that serves as a prequel to the other games. No release date, not even a release year, but patrons have been able to play a preview of version 0.9.9 since September. Not that the game's Steam page reflects that it's this close to being ready...

And while this is happening, they're working on The Tower: Still in early access, over 3 years since the last update (crowdfunding campaign was in 2016). They've been in 'phase one' of development all this time and are now working out the budget for 'phase two' and how that will pan out. The devs just confirmed this a few days ago. Oh and The Tower is also getting VR support soon, plus it's actually going to ship on UE5 (they just need to make extra sure they're doing development on a compatible UE4 branch first, no biggie).

TL;DR: Project management!

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 26, 2023

Estel
May 4, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I tried Shadow of Doubt last night and honestly I am not sure if I am sold. More specifically, there are status effects in the game and I find that to be annoying; while I was crawling in the air ducts trying to escape a building I had my character start getting cold, which manifests in you starting to shake. Then later I learn that there is thirst and hunger to keep track of, apparently? It just felt like too much bullshit at the time. Granted, I hear that you can turn those settings off, but I already made my return by then.

Yeah, you can disable each of the status effects in the gameplay options.

I've been trying it and the game it's really ambitious in what is trying to accomplish. The game has some jank but it's fun. Having to do "real" detective work and follow leads that sometimes lead to nothing and having to go back and check again possible clues that you missed or try and get information from people just to find new leads it's a good gameplay loop and makes it really satisfying once you solve a case.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Metroidvania Afterimage is out now, had an eye on this one for a bit so I hope it's good. Reviews are currently 71% positive.

I think the artwork looks great on the surface and vibes are one of the most important parts of a metroidvania so it's on the right track & I hope the world design can match it. post impressions if anyone tries it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Brightman posted:

Shadows of Doubt is great, it's pretty buggy but they all seem like simple bugs, just a lot of them. Performance optimization is probably the biggest hurdle after content, the random murders are fine but sometimes they can be a bit simple.

Unless you miss obvious evidence like I did during probably my favorite murder case I've solved so far. After my initial investigation I thought my only leads were a fingerprint, and where the victim worked. No previous calls, no suspicious emails, no notes of a meeting at a diner, nothing else. So I go to where they work, make a big mess of it, giant to-do for no reason, but I eventually discover gently caress and all. None of the employees have anything to do with the murder, all different fingerprints, there was a nice diamond to steal in a desk, but no other leads. So I go to their spouse's workplace and wouldn't you know it, nothing again. So back to the apartment I go, where after another 10 minutes of looking around I find a balled up note, under the bed, with the killer's fingerprints on it, and it just says "let's play a game" and then has a word jumble that spells their name. They live in the apartment below the victim and refuse to answer my questions no matter how much money I have...but when I knock again later and their partner answers I don't have to pay a dime to get inside, get their fingerprints, find the gun, and arrest the murderer. Could've had it done in like 5 minutes if I had found that note. Whoops.

Another murder happened 5 minutes after I finished that one. I did a pretty thorough investigation but still only had a fingerprint, BU, and a few shoeprints that didn't match the residents or the enforcer guarding the door. On my way to their workplace I stop in a convenience store, I recognize the clerks name and think "weren't they the lady I arrested for a side-job hours ago?" so I break into the back room to find out. While going through the employee records I find hers and recognize the old fingerprint, U, so I guess that arrest didn't stick or they're out on bail. I check the other records...fingerprint BU...I found the murderer by loving chance. Prints, name, photo, etc. Probably the fastest murder case I've solved.

My favorite case wasn't a murder, someone had a jade necklace walk-off while they were out. They told me it was probably someone they knew and the times when they were out etc. I searched for evidence and found ziltch in their apartment. Decided to scan the front door for prints thinking they'd have to touch it to get in probably, found a print labeled AA which didn't match the occupants, so I start by getting prints from their co-workers' records, none are AA. I look at the person's address book and just start going through people in their building. Their neighbor across the hall has an AA print. So I wait for them to leave, break-in, and toss the place. No necklace. Part of the task is to wreck up the culprit's apartment in revenge (optional). So I toss some of their booze on the floor, drink all their milk, vomit in the trash, and toss the carton on the couch. I throw something throw the window breaking it and decide to go to the person's workplace to see if they have the necklace in a locker or something. They work in a factory cafeteria. Lot of security, big hassle, they had no locker. At this point the first murder case I mentioned starts up and I get into that, it's in the same building, so it was convenient. In the middle of that I find a security room on like the 7th floor and it has security footage, so I check the second floor's footage during the times mentioned and there's one of the person's co-workers who lives across town in a basement lurking about. I go over there, find the necklace, skip trashing the place cause they had no kitchen to supply it and gently caress grabbing outside trash. Case complete, with one neighbor's apartment loving destroyed because they touched another neighbor's door once. My bad.

It's very cool how just through the procedural nature of it you can get totally misled. I had a murder victim and I found a dating site email on her computer which connected her to someone, and then said they weren't a match after they met, so I figured he probably killed her out of rejection rage since I didn't find any other clues. Only info I had was that it was a a nurse with green eyes, first name Timothy. So I go breaking into all the hospital wards, riffling through their employee files, finally find Tim the nurse...and he had a fingerprint type that wasn't at the crime scene, no incriminating evidence in his apartment, just zero evidence he ever did anything wrong in his life. So, after robbing him blind, I mean, collecting evidence, I went back to square one, went to the woman's place where she worked, and that one fingerprint on the murder weapon from the crime scene was just everywhere in her office. Turns out it was her office manager, who had psycho poetry all over her apartment and a bottle of poison on her when I arrested her.

I also enjoyed the side mission to humiliate somewhere where the only clue they gave me was the building where the person worked and their salary. I broke into four different security offices, dug through all the files, finally found a salary match, and beaned her in the head with an apple while she was working. Humiliation complete! Then she pulled a gun and chased me down the street while I ran like hell. Great game.

Estel posted:

Yeah, you can disable each of the status effects in the gameplay options.

This is key, especially since you can change it at any time. I love being able to just turn off hunger and thirst for awhile when I don't feel like dealing with it.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

D*ath Stra&ding Dir*ctor's Cut

*F0QB-&9Y87-Y8&2V

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

fappenmeister posted:

D*ath Stra&ding Dir*ctor's Cut

*F0QB-&9Y87-Y8&2V
Claimed! Thank you so much!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

No Wave posted:

Claimed! Thank you so much!

:hellyeah:

You're welcome, enjoy!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Keep on keeping on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

satisfactory community on Steam losing their patience

Orv
May 4, 2011
Self-awareness in a Steam forums post may in fact be the weirdest thing I’ve seen all year.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Self-awareness in a Steam forums post may in fact be the weirdest thing I’ve seen all year.

nobody who uses "woke" as an insult has any self-awareness

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

nobody who uses "woke" as an insult has any self-awareness

Oh they’re still dumb, don’t get me wrong.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
one weird thing I've had about shadows of doubt is a whole lot of murder cases can bread crumb stuff like a evil date or capitalist thugs following the victim or etc but 9/10 it's just a matter of scanning the finger prints at scene, run to their workplace and check everyone's fingerprints

which is unfortunate but ea and the hooks are there. maybe I am getting really (un?)lucky

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

one weird thing I've had about shadows of doubt is a whole lot of murder cases can bread crumb stuff like a evil date or capitalist thugs following the victim or etc but 9/10 it's just a matter of scanning the finger prints at scene, run to their workplace and check everyone's fingerprints

which is unfortunate but ea and the hooks are there. maybe I am getting really (un?)lucky

There's analogy that I can't find made by I think Emily Short about procedural narrative where you can make procedural white bread toast with a thousand different gradients of inputs like the time the toaster was set to, the atmosphere in the kitchen, the thickness of the slice, the heat of the toaster, the fibre content of the bread, etc. etc. but at the end of the day all the player is doing is putting the toast in the toaster and eating white brad toast.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

Metroidvania Afterimage is out now, had an eye on this one for a bit so I hope it's good. Reviews are currently 71% positive.

I think the artwork looks great on the surface and vibes are one of the most important parts of a metroidvania so it's on the right track & I hope the world design can match it. post impressions if anyone tries it.

It looks nice, and one review ticked a couple of boxes for my metroidvania needs by saying that the map is huge and there's a lot of optional stuff, but I'm gonna need some more reviews to go by.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Brightman posted:

:words: about Shadows of Doubt

The game sounded neat to me initially, but this post and similar ones describing what the game has led them to do has sold me.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

The game sounded neat to me initially, but this post and similar ones describing what the game has led them to do has sold me.

I had a murder case that made me follow various leads all ending in dead ends. I returned to the crime scene to search for missing clues and this time I found the victim diary hidden under the bed and more importantly big red blood letters on a wall that I missed the first time because I was searching in darkness while trying to evade the guards protecting the crime scene :doh:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Owl Inspector posted:

Reviews are down to 69% now, giving it a "Mixed" rating. Decided to check out some of the negative reviews to see why some people are panning it, and the major complaint seems to be that fast travel is tied to a consumable that you can only (e:)buy find?

There was also this gem complaining that the map had too much unguided exploration.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/M0UTH/recommended/1701520/ posted:

Stay away from this game. Horrible pacing, only able to quick travel with potions that are rare. A metroidvania map that 4x bigger than Sotn, good luck. Good luck with no hints, guides or anything telling you where to go.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I mean given that's the complaint for a lot of old school metroids and those have relatively concise maps, that sounds legit

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Velocity Raptor posted:

Reviews are down to 69% now, giving it a "Mixed" rating. Decided to check out some of the negative reviews to see why some people are panning it, and the major complaint seems to be that fast travel is tied to a consumable that you can only buy?

There was also this gem complaining that the map had too much unguided exploration.

But how will I know where to go if not blindly following an arrow?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Velocity Raptor posted:

Decided to check out some of the negative reviews to see why some people are panning it, and the major complaint seems to be that fast travel is tied to a consumable that you can only buy?
That is a little weird. I wonder what the intended mechanic with that is.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That is a little weird. I wonder what the intended mechanic with that is.

Sorry, just realized mistyped in my post (it's been corrected). You can only find the fast travel consumable. (I was going back and forth between "find" and "can't even buy" and ended up with something completely wrong)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gamerofthegame posted:

I mean given that's the complaint for a lot of old school metroids and those have relatively concise maps, that sounds legit

Symphony of the night. Beloved, unlocks fast travel rooms.
Hollow Knight. Beloved, unlocks fast travel rooms.

Some Metroidvania you never heard of with a bad user review over limited fast travel. Oh no, now you did it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Can't speak for Symphony of the Night but no one thinks Hollowknight is beloved because of it's map traversal systems.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kazil posted:

Can't speak for Symphony of the Night but no one thinks Hollowknight is beloved because of it's map traversal systems.

It is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WirelessPillow posted:

But how will I know where to go if not blindly following an arrow?

...have you tried playing some of the larger metroidvanias without a guide? Or are you marathoning them in 12 hour sprints?

Not remembering the path to the green cumbled wall you saw 4 days ago is pretty common.