Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ultrafilter posted:

If you're interested in hidden gems there's a thread for that.

this is cheating, you should have to find that thread on your own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sprenk posted:

I was thinking of getting back into Stellaris. I played about a hundred hours when it came out, the only DLC I have is Leviathans. There's a bundle for literally over a hundred bucks for all the DLC (with the sale) - is there a list somewhere on which DLC are most relevant? It's a bit overwhelming.

Covered in the OP of the Stellaris thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

You're going to be completely lost and not know whether to shoot a demon or hug it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

on the computer posted:

crossposting from the sagas thread: did you really join on your reg date? lol

tell the sagas thread to gently caress off forever, thank you

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LLSix posted:

Anyone think we'll ever get a Fallout 5?

Fallout 4 was released in 2015. That was 7 years ago.

Fallout 1 was released in 1997.
Fallout 2 was released in 1998!

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?

We skipped right past 5-75, sorry.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

Of the modern Bethesda games, the biggest issues for me were:

- Fallout 3's map design being pretty poopy, so you had no choice but to chase compass blips in order to find anything but the most obvious POIs.

- Oblivion letting you fast travel between every city from the word go.

In the latter case I simply played like I had to unlock fast travel as normal and had an alright time if it.

Though I'm also perfectly fine with the compass existing as long as it's not the primary way I'm navigating*; following the terrain/landmarks/POIs while knowing I'm not completely off track is my preferred style.

*Same vibe as many GTA-style games where you can just stare at the minimap and navigate entirely through that and it sucks.

I got poo poo to do, I absolutely do not want to be taking 5-10+ minutes to get to the same places over and over again you psycho.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

I think you misread something.

Weirdly hostile response either way.

I do not actually think you're a psycho and I understand what you wrote just fine, the weirdly hostile part was a joke. I don't like when games don't respect my time and IMO it's not fun to walk/run/drive the same path 50 times instead of being able to fast travel once I've travelled there already. Though for an RPG I like a chance at random encounters when fast travelling.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Apparently fast travel since that's all I've mentioned.

I'm fine with unlockable fast travel, which is how almost every game handles it, being able to go everywhere immediately sounds bad but I've never played a game that does that, that I can recall. As mentioned in Skyrim you pay for someone to take you between cities but I wouldn't call that immediately available fast travel. You have to go to one of the hubs first, go the wagon master or whatever and pay to get to the other city.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 7, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Talk about games respecting my time then I play like 90% survival crafting games. Don't @ me.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Anno posted:

I just think "don't respect your time" is a weird way of looking at something. Nothing inherently does or doesn't respect your time - things are made a certain way for a certain reason, and if you don't like that decision it's fine and maybe the game isn't for you, but it doesn't mean it doesn't respect you. Just say you don't like X game dev decision and move on.

And (I think) to Stux's prior point, I do hate when it's invoked to criticize a game that intentionally has lulls in its story or moment-to-moment gameplay. Games, music, movies whatever should have downtime, room to breathe and just exist. I don't want go go go all the time.

Unskippable cutscenes are the epitome of a game not respecting my time, especially the second time around (after a death, etc..).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.

For me it would be Firewatch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

Stop right now, thread. We're not doing this again today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1F7vaNP9w0

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Of the games I finished from August to now, I liked:
Elden Ring
King's Field 1-4
Control
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Disco Elysium

Which I think shows that I like a great variety and type of video games. I think two of those games are AAA(maybe homeworld counts) but I don't really care for or about AAA games. They all play the same, shoehorn in the same rpg-lite mechanics and prioritize graphics over gameplay

Here is my gaming resume goonsirs, I believe this proves my opinions are beyond reproach!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cowcaster posted:

did everspace 2 end up being any good? i liked everspace 1 well enough but i didn't think the genres of space flight sim and roguelike meshed together very well which sounds like was the major thing everspace 2 changed

I like Everspace 2, it's a more traditional game, I'd compare it to Freelancer.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

Everspace 2 is a lot like this IMO.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
hogwarts drinking a polyjuice potion and sneaking into the thread

hi posters wouldn't this kind of game be cool?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SirSamVimes posted:

Editting a post out when posted in the wrong thread is cowardice imo. Just add a wrong thread note to the end

it's about bravery in video game posting

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rinkles posted:

I'm getting real mad cause bad at NFS Heat. I suck at driving, so I knew what I was signing up for, but my lizard brain still can't help but get frustrated.

It's also weird to be drifting with nothing but the gas pedal (you initiate a drift by letting go, turning, and then hitting the gas pedal again when still turning).

You can also initiate it by tapping the e-brake while turning and accelerating, which is my preferred method. Best way to escape cops are jumps, you can pause and go to the map and route to the nearest jump and hit that and lose them pretty easily.

Croccers posted:

You can change that in the options.

I never got around to trying out the new NFS before I cancelled my Game Pass. Dang.

I like Unbound a little more than Heat but I think I'm in the minority. IMO the music in Unbound is a lot better than previous games and the day/night cycle stuff is handled more interestingly. Heat does have a pretty map though, especially the view when racing down the mountain toward the city, that was breathtaking the first time I saw it the morning with the sun coming up after some rain.

Whatever you do, avoid Need For Speed 2016 like the plague though. The other NFS games up through Hot Pursuit (2010) still hold up and look pretty good except Rivals, which is locked at 30fps and feels like poo poo. There's a 60fps workaround but if you ever drop below 60fps the physics go to poo poo because they're affected by framerate.

Always invest in the highest tier of radar jammer you can afford for your main vehicle, it increases detection time and lets you just blow past cops 90% of the time. Though if you are coming up on cops and have heat it's just as easy to ram them at full speed and one shot them if they're solo.

Helicopters I don't hide from once detected, I just get on a freeway and drive until they run out of gas, then ditch whatever cops are still tailing me if any, they don't last that long.

Got into a racing kick recently and played through Unbound, Heat and Payback recently with a little bit of Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted. They fill a niche for me that Forza Horizons and Motorsports don't.

Thank you for reading my NFS dissertation.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 21, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Wiltsghost posted:

I've played so much Forza I just can't wrap my head around how cars handle in this game. I've tried to get into it so many times but I just get frustrated. It's like I have to unlearn everything.

I like NFS's drifting tracks way better than equivalent in Forza. Forza just feels like I'm trying to randomly spin and slide around everywhere with no real goal except not breaking the "skill chain" whereas NFS actually has actual drifting tracks with a guided path and poo poo setup for you to drift through and it feels like you have some guidance and actual goals other than just "do poo poo randomly until you hit something or the skill chain timer expires then do that again".

Though I generally don't like drifting in racing games, NFS Unbound and Heat are probably the first two racing games where I've enjoyed it once I got used to it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

I tried it on the free trial and while the gameplay seemed...okay, the performance was god awful. I couldn't not get stable 60fps no matter what.

Weird, it performed better than NFS Heat for me. (PC AMD CPU, nVidia GPU)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

kazil posted:

that game is going to be 50% off in the summer sale

too optimistic

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I said come in! posted:

I really don't get the point the author of this review is trying to make here, or why any of this matters?

You can't just put black people in games willy nilly!!!!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

trailer owns
too bad it's a roguelite though

you sure you don't mean roguelike?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Inept posted:

my account is over 18 years old please stop asking if i'm over 18

no

also stop asking if you want to show this prompt every time, this never loving works

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

Grounded
Need For Speed Unbound

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tiny Timbs posted:

Probably for the best. The demo I played a while ago didn’t do much at all to distinguish it from the first game, so I hope they’ve put a bunch of work into it since then.

The date is 6 April 23 in case you’re not a psycho that gets tiny bits of information through YouTube videos

I don't know what was in that demo but it is very different from the first game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rebel Blob posted:

What has supplanted Hogwarts Legacy atop the New & Trending tab of Steam? Why only the newest release from the Sex with Hitler series developer.

Tower Tactics is at the top of my list because I have all the rest of that poo poo filtered or ignored. Tower Tactics is really good.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Could anyone give some recommendations for good deck building games on Steam? I've really enjoyed Slay the Spire, but I'm hoping to branch out a bit to other games that still involve a deck building element.

Tower Tactics is real good IMO, though a bit on the easy side. It's a deck based rogue-like tower defense game, three things I'm sick of in general but they really work together in this game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreenBuckanneer posted:

who the gently caress ends the weekend free play on sunday evening, I spent this time downloading it after hemming and hawing and can't even try it. gently caress you 2k

lol, owned

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Oldstench posted:

How does Returnal run on lower-specced machines? I'm rocking an i5-6600K and a 1660 Ti; not exactly a powerhouse.

I'm on a 5950x , 3090, 64GB of RAM nVME SSD @ 4K (under Win11) and I get frequent stuttering from poo poo loading in, mostly when changing rooms though I'm usually at 60fps. Others have reported stuttering issues as well. The explode after dashing skill seem to cause a slight stutter at the end every time, it's weird.

It's playable but it's definitely not smooth on my system.

repiv posted:

the worst of the stuttering is related to having raytracing enabled, if you turn off every RT setting it's much better behaved

RT all off on my machine, I always leave that poo poo off, it's never worth it.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 21, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Exodee posted:

What the gently caress, I can count the amount of hitches I've had in Returnal and Elden Ring on one hand and I'm on an almost three year old mid-range Radeon. :psyduck: Maybe it's because my specs are similar to the consoles they originated from?

Pretty easy to find people reporting the same poo poo about Returnal on the PS5, it might just be that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/ndptcr/is_anyone_experiencing_this_kind_of_stutter/

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Exodee posted:

That video doesn't load for me, but I did find this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DNh1Z14IQ

And yeah, if it's that subtle then I probably haven't noticed it much during gameplay. It's maybe also harder to notice when using mouse controls.

I've also seen people report some much nastier hitches on PC though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGqhh5Htx4o
And that's definitely not something I've had much of at all.

Yeah, that second video is what I experience. It's annoying as gently caress but still playable.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I updated my BIOS and made sure resizable bar support was enabled just to see if it'd fix Returnal stutters. Psycho poo poo.

I think it might have but I haven't played long yet, not through a full room even.

pcgaming.txt

:pcgaming:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

Nemesis System but also with romance

Romenses

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sininu posted:

I really want to learn more about the new netcode because it's something completely new to games and I don't understand it.

MMF Freeway posted:

yeah I need someone to explain how this works to me like a baby

I believe the change is that your input is sent to the server as it happens and is processed immediately (event driven) instead of only processing those changes every Xms. The updates from the server to clients are likely still per tick (or every Xms) but they know exactly when you fired, jumped, turned, etc.. to more accurately calculate hits and misses and rely less on prediction.

But that's just how I interpret what they've said in the video.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Don't know if I missed discussion about this or not but:

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1642882143193010176

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo

Windows 11 based.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Meant to post that in the Steam Deck thread, whoops. Someone else already did though so it all worked out. Another posting success story!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cross-Section posted:

and it will only cost 999 dollars

Yeah, concerned about the price but the guy in the preview video says ASUS is very aware that the $400 price point was critical to Steam Deck's success and thinks they'll hit a $600 price point for base model and I agree. Performance and being Windows based are two big pluses for me if battery life doesn't suck poo poo since I'd rather be able to run XBox gamepass games locally versus streaming them under Linux.

Ergonomics don't look great though compared to the steam deck, those edges look uncomfortable.

If base model is ~$600 and you can get about the same amount of play time as the deck then it'll be a strong competitor IMO.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Orv posted:

Extreme nerd nitpick time; if a lightsaber blade is weightless and the Force is what lets you use one without slicing your own face off (which I assume has been contradicted in various EU stuff like eighty thousand times) why aren't the streets out back of the Jedi Temple filled with the bodies of poo poo padawans?

look at this poster who skipped episode 2

I envy you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
:rip: