Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

Gem Wizards Tactics? All about shoving and throwing folks about.

Mainframe Defenders is a bit lighter on cool abilities but it is satisfying to build a well oiled squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

Have you played Ring Runner: something or other of the Sages? Or is that why you specified 2d? It has a lot of close range brawls and using short range tractor beams to throw asteroids into ships and vice versa.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

bbcisdabomb posted:

I haven't played for a few months but I seem to recall multiplayer is friends only, no randos.

I'll gladly pay for Powerwash DLC to support more powerwashing in the future. Washer go fsssssssssssssshh

Steam wise mindustry can be played with randos. Even technically has pvp maps. Note I do not recommend these pvp maps. And server settings can screw up playing with randos if you have the entire tech tree unlocked and they are bashing conveyers together...

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Any reports about the Ork dlc faction for Battlesector? I feel like a sucker, but they have me interested.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

buglord posted:

How toxic are players in Legion TD2? WC3 custom games weren’t really known for chill players unless you were playing Tag the Peon or Wolf RP.

Depends on how high up the rankings you go. For the free weekend I can't imagine reaching the ranks where people get salty about stuff. If you have a question talk to your partner.

Play at least one game against the AI before you go online. Figure out how to beat the first wave with 50-100 gold left over for workers. Playing against the AI you can just reset until you figure it out. Doing these experiments with a human partner is Not Cool.

Make sure you agree on when to send, and if send now means this wave or the next one. Turn on auto and keep it on until you have a plan with your buddy. Or you hit a no brainer send wave like 10.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Any Warhammer nerds here?
Are Warhammer Total War, Blood Bowl and Mordheim the only games with playable Skaven?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I4ML0O/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=fantartandpor-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B001I4ML0O has Skaven. Maybe just in skirmish? Obviously the longest of shots.

At least say the name of the goon game: Waves of Steel

Also, anybody play Airships: Heroes and Villains? I'm wondering if it is enough for another go through.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Humble Choice games I will never redeem:

E4AJ6-99NZE-DIE9D M=N

HN82G-NYPNJ-PMJRT QemQem

MKE76-KBKAJ-DXW7Q Sqacer's

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

Ace Attorney but due to sweeping legal reforms, all trials are now trials by mech combat

the OBJECTION!! pose fires the shoulder missiles

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/professorprof/giant-allege/

Not vouching for the website, but this does exist.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you like weird old Japanese wargames similar to Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn? Do you like indie devs?

TIL that Lost Technology is fully translated (it released with only a few routes translated six years ago) and it's 5$ on steam as the default price:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/420520/Lost_Technology/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8faiHRNIo

Unironically the best campaign of this I played was the one where you go Empire... and lose. Then you become a wandering mercenary group. Teaming up with... the noble knight faction led to tense battles where you try to snatch victory from defeat with your little squad. Followed by trying to win the campaign for them as you are allowed to control armies if the faction lead isn't present.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Fuligin posted:

i wonder if Star Trek: Bridge Commander was any good.
Agreed that we need more 'subs in space' games

Nebulous Fleet Command can be played like that. Maybe clear it with your team or even your opponents. Somebody bringing a container ship full of radar guided missiles would ruin the vibe. But a match with nothing but frigates packing expensive Hybrid-3 missiles...

It isn't a dogfighter. I think a lot of people are talking past each other vis a vis what genre they want their space adventures to be in.

Its like homeworld but with prebuilt fleets? This is a bad explanation here is a link to the thread:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

SlothBear posted:

According to my steam review my ideal game is a deck based city builder with a tower defense phase that's also an emotional story where choices matter.

So, ya know, get on that, game people.

Haven't played it myself but: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1108370/Ratropolis/ ?

For Star Traders you need to know sort of what you want to do before you start. If you don't want to do space combat don't work for your starting noble contacts! If you don't want to do spy stuff or lots of crew combat don't work for the older daughter! If you want to do bounty hunting work for the Son! If you aren't sure what you want to do but are cool with a variety of combat and trading work for the accused daughter!

If you want to be a peaceful trader or an explorer that only fights in crew combat just pull over when you get hailed.

I can't imagine playing without some attention on space combat. Do some math when picking components so that you don't have more guns at any given range than you can shoot/move with. Pick somebody to hate and you will never worry about running out of fuel again... because you can hit them whenever you run short. The real money/exp in space combat is taking the enemy ship through boarding, then blowing it up. They'll eventually hate you enough you can't spoof them with bribes... but never so much the Military Officer's salute won't save you.

You can get away with fighting ships for just their fuel if you regularly check for easy patrols with +rep.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

err posted:

I've been wanting to play roguelikes. Any thoughts on these? They all seem good, but wondering if I should cut one.

Rift Wizard
Path of Achra
Caves of Qud

Pick one of Rift Wizard or Path of Achra

Rift Wizard is more methodical. Barring getting stunned or petrified everyone gets one action a turn. And stunning or petrifying is pretty rare. Looking ahead to make sure you don't go into a portal with enemies immune to all your spells is important. Going from full health to dead is unlikely unless you stand next to the final boss or hang out in the middle of a big room.

Path of Achra is more about exponential synergies. Characters take turns at different speeds and its vitally important to boost yours and destroy theirs. You can make a build that deals so much astral damage you don't care about resistances or blocking or dodging. Or summon up to your summon limit every turn. Even the most rock solid block or dodge score has a 10% chance of failing and killing a character without a full set of prayers dead.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Azran posted:

How's Warriors of the Nile 2? Played the demo and enjoyed it, beyond the kinda dodgy translation. Just wondering if the full game's got some legs to it or not.

What's more important to you for legs, player unit variety or variety of encounters?

The encounters at each node decision point are basically the same each game, based on the resources that branch has. In theory you'll want different resources in each run and fight a different set each time. In practice some resources are worth more at different points of the game, leading you to see the same enemies each run. The game hides an additional act behind metaprogression, as well as some surprisingly impactful random obstacle removal.

Player unit variety is good. Playing the robot that wants to build a little base is totally different from the ranger who swaps with enemies etc. Not every variant class is as interesting as a full one, but some get close. Outside of the bonus final act even bosses are good about not no selling the stuff you can do. Anything outside of losing a unit before the boss of an act is survivable imo.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kly posted:

can anyone suggest a game with short rounds/games (5-10 minutes) where i dont need to remember a build or strategy i was using between rounds/games? preferably single player. i had been playing marvel snap which was perfect for what im looking for but i got too frustrated with playing it as a f2p game. something like slay the spire but much shorter runs would be great. islanders is another example of something similar to what im looking for. any genre is fine really.
im not interested in balatro.

Circadian Dice?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mode 7 posted:

Which Space Hulk video game is the good one? I know there’s been a bunch but I can never keep straight which is which.

They made them change the name and get rid of the tutorial campaign but... Alien Assault !

Except the last mission of the big campaign that mission sucks. On brave marine/assaulter/whatever against 3 rooms in a row, get out of here.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Automata 10 Pack posted:

enchanted cave 2 is a banger and you should keep it for a rainy day

Shh!

I'll take enchanted cave 2, if you don't mind. :)

A light dungeon crawler classic from the flash era. You can keep certain items between runs so I won't call it a roguelike.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Phigs posted:

What I want in multiplayer is a chill co-op experience yeah. It's a pity 2 of the biggest ones (Deeprock and Helldivers) have you killing bugs or are pretty un-chill (Darktide). I don't even feel the desire to do some hardcore co-op thing where I'm worried about letting people down. I only want to do hard poo poo with myself or my brother. When I want to play with others it's cause I wanna hang out with some other people while we do some activity. I'd love something like a Battlefield where you're essentially a group of players dropped into a AI vs AI warzone trying to turn the tide for your faction. Do whatever to advance the map goals alongside some other players sounds exactly my speed these days.

Running with Rifles was a third person shooter with exactly that. Probably still running, but it is weirdly simulationist as I recall.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Substandard posted:

I've got a real jonesing for XCOM and I've already played through the remakes a bunch of times. Is Xenonauts 2 worth it? It's still in early access, and I'm never sure about EA stuff. It's on sale for the next half hour. Is there something else that will scratch my squad based tactics itch?

Chaos Gate: Demonhunters? Or whatever the real title is. Its Xcom but cover/range/etc. only controls how much damage an attack does. You pretty much can't totally miss with an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Serephina posted:

I'm pretty sure that's 100% what's going on with Cogmind, that game has been super-duper done for years now but the dev has a goddamn patreon of all things, so he's he's got fools throwing money at him to polish a finished product for the rest of his life under the umbrella of EA.

It's not a bad deal at all, really.

Its nuts that they haven't just called it Cogmind 3.0 at this point. Don't like the default way to play? Scroll the steam guides for the variant modes. Play the game as an RPG with almost indestructible parts backed up by leveling up your stats directly. Play the game with "lootboxes" where you can just buy the parts you want with funny money. Have a run with an AI buddy where you share parts! I never even looked at the halloween abomination mode where enemies randomly add bits to themselves.

Its nuts.

The 7drl "demo" Polybius is also made in the same engine.

edit: there is apparently also a mode where you just bodyjack enemy bots