Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey are my Steam achievements good for anything? Are there websites that do interesting things with them? I sometimes go to astats.nl and look at like how rare my achievements are or whatever but I have thousands and wish they uhhh... I don't even know. They just feel like something I have a weird urge to pursue but after gaining an achievement I immediately don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Okay, wait, here's a better way of phrasing what I'm looking for: are there websites that do neat things with these achievements? Makes neat graphs or aggregates the data in fun ways, something like that?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My rarest achievement is for not purchasing upgrades in the final level of the Overload (a Descentlike?), because I did not know I could purchase upgrades in the final level.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Every time you guys mention Forspoken I misread it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey what's a good Survivors game? I liked Vampire Survivors a lot and just played through Soulstone Survivors. I gave Brotato a shot and I like it but it doesn't have enough meta progression for me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
It's not altogether unlike older games like, say, Crimsonland comes to mind. Like a Crimsonland but you don't have to aim.

You know what I love about Crimsonland? The guts and bodies stay there. Give me more games where they don't fizzle away. I want to see the destruction I cause!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oblivion was probably the greatest hype-to-disappointment plunge I've ever felt.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My Steam thinks I have like 30,000 songs in the music thing, but 99% of them are just files it it interprets as 0 seconds-long silence.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

Pizza Tower is loving perfect.

That is the Frenchest looking thing I've ever seen.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I want to play Tyranny but it's annoying me the same way Path of Exile did and I suspect PoE2 will; why does my character have like a dozen abilities/skills that are so extremely specific and detailed in what they do? It's overwhelming. I want something more complex than click-on-bad-guy-to-whack-with-club but I get really stressed out with leveling up badly or not utilizing class abilities correctly or underutilizing skills the developers are expecting me to use...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've never enjoyed JRPGs with their massive numbers. Final Fantasy XIII in particular has some gigantic numbers. Like the first time you ever attack you do like 9,236 damage. When numbers are that big, I kind of wish they'd just round it down exponentially like 9,236 is inscrutable to me but 9.2 damage makes perfect sense.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
AD&D had it right. I have four hitpoint and I generally hit for about two. These are manageable numbers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun get better? I don't dislike it, but I'm also no very intrigued by it. The story so far, three or four missions in is bland and the characters are boring archtypes. I know I'm probably bad at it, but it feels like the game doesn't expect me to try to be sneaky at all. Like, yeah, don't get caught, but there's no consequence for murdering everyone on every map.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Holy poo poo did Big Picture mode get an update after fifteen years

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm like forty hours into Tyranny and I only now realized you buy all your spell stuff from merchants. I kept occasionally finding them in treasure and figured that was the natural progression of spell components, but I'm real far into the game now and my magic is real fuckin pitiful and mostly useless

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

pentyne posted:

that sucks because being able to break the game by getting creative with magic is one of the appeals of it

Am I alone in not really ever visiting merchants in RPGs anymore? I never even thought about it; you don't get the cool weapons, the legendary weapons with awesome effects from merchants; you find those in dungeons! I only ever think to go to merchants now to stock up on healing potions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just beat Tyranny, which I loved, but I wonder if I played the game wrong. By the time I had access to casting Edicts... there was nothing left to do but head to Bastard City and make the last fellow swear fealty. But it felt like I got Edicts at the point in the game I was expected to -- it was right about when I was at my most powerful, and Edicts being the only thing making one even more powerful than that.

Maybe I should have done only main quests the entire game and saved the side quests for last :confused:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I found Mutant Year Zero to be fuckin hard as hell. I'm not bad at video games you guys :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fwoderwick posted:

Also generally poking around for what is the next easiest fight for your level. I remember instances where there'd be incredibly hard fights along the way that you're better off ignoring initially. There was a super tough gang guarding a tunnel entrance early on and it was better to sneak through and come back for them later.

I think this is where I bounced off. I didn't think about... just avoiding them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Jossar posted:

Now somebody tell me if Per Aspera is good enough to justify buying it at 50% off. It's the only one of the games that I'm considering buying that I'm on the fence about.

I found the story to be really intriguing and I wanted to see where it would go. What killed it for me is, there are certain events that happen in the game that are designed to put you in a state of distress, but depending on how you're playing (especially if you're expanding quite a lot), that "distress" might just be a sort of soft-game over where you'll never be able to recover. Specifically, a sabotage event that damages and/or destroys every single one of your buildings This was said to be patched by the time I played the game but I sure ran into the same issue :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

So, what were people's problems with Wolfenstein TNC compared to TNO? I haven't tried playing it since it came out and I've been thinking of giving it another shot.

TNC has some pacing issues and levels that are way too big and open and easy to get lost in, but I was just today reminiscing about it with a friend. Its high points are really high, the plot gets way out there in a great way. It gets more and more absurd in the best of ways. I think it's worth enduring the struggle to play through it.

I put like 15 loving hours in Youngbloods though and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone ever holy poo poo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Any game that requires me to blast a Nazi in the face at point blank with a shotgun more than once has a political agenda

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Anyone play Kenshi?

It's like if you wanted to play Fallout 1 but in the Mount and Blade engine and everything was 100x jankier and the dialogue is completely useless and written by what I guess are edgy 13 year-olds from 2003... it's a pretty rad game. I'm only 14 hours in, which is to say I've gotten to the part where I have like a little house and some buds. A legless bandit approached us as we were mining and he single-handedly mauled us. He stole our food, and as he crawled away my main character bled to death from head trauma.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

I love this janky rear end game.

Also: man, it ran like a fuckin hog to the point I didn't think it was playable. Then I downloaded this small mod some cocky fella made. Bam, the game looks fuckin twice as good and runs ten times better wtf

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Kenshi is fun but holy hell who has this much RAM?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I've got 16. What's the typical gamer's RAM loadout nowadays?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Steam Thread: they're all nothing but centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey gang, what's the best set of headphones I should get? I've had an awesome set for a few years but it finally needs replaced. It had (kindasorta) 5.1 surround!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Awesome! posted:

do you want a headset/mic combo or would you be fine with headphones and a separate mic? that changes your options significantly

Oh! I suppose it would be best to have a mic. I'm going to be using it for gaming, mostly.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

I'm so loving sick of superheroes at this point.

I've been saying that since that fantastic four movie with Vic Mackey and Captain American

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A buddy of mine keeps bugging me to play this Backrooms game with him. This bundle includes it and a bunch of other games for less than the game alone costs on Steam. Pretty good deal, I guess!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't play a lot of online games anymore, but I've been giving BattleBit Remastered a go. I don't think it's great; it's a callback to games like Battlefield, which I never really played back in the day.

Anyway, I was pretty proud of this master snipe

https://streamable.com/1bwbji

I don't know how to share video clips I hope I'm doing this right

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I bounced off Helldivers hard. A friend wanted me to play it with him and I was just overwhelmed with lore and online mechanics and menus...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Serephina posted:

Overload is wonderful purchase; it is exactly what you want if you've got nostalgia for Descent but maybe don't want to revisit software from 30 years ago. It's pretty, has 6 DoF movement and maps with are gnarly but avoid being a maze, reasons to use and love all the different guns, and a pseudo-plot and upgrade system for your modern tastes as you advance through the campaign. It also has map packs! (which are unvoiced, but that's ok)

Basically, if you wanna play modern descent, it's worth full retail.

Overload is a perfect execution of revisiting nostalgia. Loved it. It was exactly what I wanted it to be.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I read a lot of reviews saying there was too much pew pew and not enough snipe snipe

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The only visual novel I've ever played was Doki Doki Literature Club.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What's the next main entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise after Black Flag?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is it worth playing single player, though?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I beat Biomutant today.

What an aggressively mediocre game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Jossar posted:

:sigh:

Yeah, I was really excited for this one to even be just okay, but it couldn't even manage that much.

It sure was pretty, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey gang! I'm looking for some rather linear games (that aren't Telltale games) I can play comfortably on the couch with a controller and where I don't really have to think too hard to solve puzzles. Examples of games I've played recently that are kinda what I'm talking about:

A Plague Tale: Innocence
The Forgotten City
The Quarry / The Dark Pictures games
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

I want to try to give Life Is Strange another shot, but I found the game to be just overwhelmingly... I don't know the word. That 00s teen quasi-whismiscal aesthetic? This game is saturated with it. But maybe I'll get past it. I hear it's good!

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 4, 2023