Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really liked frostpunk and while I'm waiting for the sequel I would like to play another survival rts. I've narrowed it down to Ixion, They Are Billions, or Against the Storm. Which of these three is the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

The annoyance factor is really overstated. The big ones in Skyrim are far worse.

:hmmyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
They Forspoken now!
They Forspoken now?
They Forspoken now.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I only skip kojima cutscenes

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

big cummers ONLY posted:

How is Dishonored 1? I need to get two of the wolfensteins but I don't need anything else there

All Dishonoreds and DLCs have average stories and thin characters but fun gameplay and an absolutely remarkable attention to world design.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

what does this mean for my hopes of a good XCOM 3

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Im looking at Returnal. I'm terrible at video games -- like, to beat Elden Ring bosses, my only hope was to grind experience until I was impossibly over-levelled. Is that (or some meta-progress equivalent) possible with Returnal?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I am really enjoying Phantom Brigade, but it could use one or two content patches for the base layer. Also it needs a character like Central. The story is pretty bland, but after the crazy poo poo in XCOM-2, it's nice to have something simple and serviceable instead of cartoon villains monologing at you.

Those issues aside, the gameplay is super fun and engrossing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah same. I was fixing for more xcom when I bought it but hit a hard diff spike not far in. Any tips for the game? I'd like to enjoy it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Thoughts on co-op in Returnal? Do you generally want to solo for some period of time or something? Does it work well? Any disadvantages?

It's very good with a best bud who's on the same page as you are. But with internet randos I imagine it's either impossibly awesome or incredibly lovely, with no middle ground.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Seconding brotato. I love how goofy it is. Edit: I think 20MTD patched in an auto-aim recently.

Steam sale related: picked up 4 copies of helldivers to coop with my buds. It's an older game but one of the funnest and most chaotic coop experiences I've had in a long time.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Citizen Sleeper or Norco?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Didn't War of the Chosen have a nemisis-lite system? Like the beaten Chosen adapted to your tactics or something? (Been a while since i played xcom2 so my memory might be off here)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm really enjoying Sifu. I don't usually like brawlers or parry-heavy combat (because i suck at video games) but for some reason Sifu really gets me into that flow state.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Very early on, when the camera shifts in the hallway into an Oldboy homage that played perfectly , was when I knew the designers knew exactly what they were doing and the game was going to be a treat.

^ Not a plot spoiler but a fun moment better as a surprise

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

kazil posted:

I'm really looking forward to running around the strip yelling "SHAUN" and building a lovely settlement

HATE NEW VEGAS

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Anno posted:

Wartales is out of Early Access today with a 25% launch discount: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527950/Wartales/

I really liked what I played back when EA started and I think it had a pretty solid run there. Co-op was also recently added. Seems like a solid pickup for anyone who enjoys the likes of Battle Brothers.

I bought this a while ago but was waiting for full release. Hope it grabs me the way battle Brothers did

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 12, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

I bought this a while ago but was waiting for full release. Hope it grabs me the way battle Brothers did

Update: it did.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Pertinent is a unique treat of a game, if you like history at all.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

unruly posted:

Hmm, neat.

I just sort of emptied my wallet on Prey, Kingdom Come, and Dishonored 2.

I can't speak to KC since I haven't played it yet, but great pickups with D2 and especially Prey. The first time through that game is a treat.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

What's the general feeling on Weird West? It's 60% off right now and that's got me tempted.

It was pretty fun but about 1/4 longer than it needs to be (i never finished it, for what that says). It's a hoot seeing what kind of crazy poo poo you can do with the physics systems though. There's mod support now and some good ones it looks like on the workshop but I haven't tried any. 60% off is a pretty good deal for it imo.

Edit: here's the thread I made for it a year ago, you can get a feel for the goon consensus:

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998883&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 28, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Vampire Survivors and all its recent clones (20 Minutes to Dawn, Brotato, Boneraiser Minions, Rogue: Genesia) and if you're into card battlers, there's Monster Train and obviously Slay the Spire.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Arkane :negative:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I just want more Wayne June, does it have more Wayne June

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Holy poo poo that RPS interview :blastu:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What makes it bad? Is it more of the same?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rusty posted:

Metro: Last Light Complete Edition is free on Steam right now fwiw. Exodus is $7.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

:hmmyes: if you haven't played the metro games, play them. Metro 2033 redux is where to start.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on void bastards ?

Fun premise, okay-to-below-average execution. I'd pay $5 for it but probably not much more.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

StarkRavingMad posted:

I liked it from the start but it really clicked for me when I got the Exterminator because wading through crowds of demons and skeletons with a flamethrower rules

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/system-shock-review

:stoked:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Everybody's all "gently caress hitler" but then when the opportunity comes,

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

drat horror queefs posted:

As always 7th guest you are the MVP of the steam thread :tipshat:

Every time I see a post from then it's :rip: my wishlist and budget

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If Avowed lets me be a Bleak Walker with a blunderbuss who terminators his way through every quest and dialog? GoTY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That steam sale cartoon with the wallet begging no except instead of steam sale its 7th Guest posts

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lamplighter's Leauge looks super charming and fun. Indiana Jones XCOM? What a combo

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

Right, so let us first establish five core concepts: Agency, intent, awareness, expectation and The Eightfold Path. Agency and intent is mainly specific to the systems you interact with as a player, awareness, expectation and the lake stretches farther than the horizon, yet the expanse of blood is all visible is mainly specific to the player, but they're all interchangeable in a sense, since an important part of my thesis is the idea of real, human actors on both sides of the divide.

Agency and intent is relatively self-explanatory. A human being has needs and wants, it can decide to do something, and it can desire an outcome. These words are not applicable to code. The terms can be used as descriptors, sure, but there is no desire in an algorithm. We can dispense with terms like skill, difficulty, unpredictability and such because these are things we can actually emulate to a successful degree (with limits, obviously), the relevant terms are the ones that cannot in any possible scenario be truly emulated. You can be tricked into thinking a bot wants to kill you if you remain unaware it's a bot, but that's not true desire.

So why is it relevant whether it's true or not if the effect is the same? Why does it matter whether or not the clump of pixels you killed is real person? Well, it's of course subjective and personal, but the awareness that the person on the other end has intentions and agency heightens the experience of play (using the term in a general sense, not only in terms of video games). You can consider the fact that another human being is reacting to the things you're doing, you are enriched by the knowledge that they are forming their own experiences, going through frustrations or moments of victory. You know that even competitive play is a form of cooperation, allowing people to experience and build something together. Awareness, however, is a double-edged sword, and that's why it's relevant to the whole bot thing.

Let us consider Peter Watts' seminal novel Blindsight or Ted Chiang's Division by Zero (available in Stories of Your Life and Others, which also contains the short story the Dennis Villeneuve film Arrival was based on). Both deal with the concept of a piece of knowledge fundamentally altering how you perceive the world in a negative way. You cannot forget or ignore your newfound knowledge, and it'll always poison your view of the world hence. Both are excellent reads, and I have no intention of actually spoiling the plot. Go pick 'em up.

Now let's relate it to the subject at hand. When I play a game with other people I expect to interact with humans, and I expect to be able to differentiate between humans and pure code. The problem with disrupting this expectation is that you start to doubt every interaction. It's not just that you did really good and feel cheated, it's that uncountable little moments of human contact start to feel fake. I enjoy the idea of getting defeated by an actual human being because I know that someone else had their own moment of victory, if I'm hiding in a bush with a rifle trained on a house, aware of the fact that another player is hiding in another bush a hundred meters away, I like to imagine that they also have a steadily rising pulse, that their wrists are also getting uncomfortably sweaty waiting out the timer. Experiences matter, awareness matters, intent and desire and feeling makes the game richer. But now you know it's a chinese room, now you know that the math doesn't add up. The guy hiding in the push was just bot that had reached some kind of idle trigger, the footsteps outside the house is someone trying to walk through a wall, the perfect knife throw through the window didn't make someone scream in anger somewhere in Belgium.

That anger wasn't real.

Which brings us at last to The Eightfold Path.

It is, in no uncertain terms, mandatory to immerse yourself in prescribed passages of The Spheres of Longing (Ravenor, Gideon, M41) before exploring any further. Armored in contempt, you can then read select passages from Book of Lorgar (Aurelian, Lorgar, M31). Summarizing, both out of courtesy to your soul and because we're going long, there is a vast lake of blood wider than the void between stars, and in that ocean of vitae, a mountain rises, forming at last a throne of skulls. To know the pain of the kill etched in your marrow, to ken the roaring rush of fury boring through your mind, is a thing of beauty. To slay again and again and again and again and to follow the eightfold path of chaos on a road to the realms of eternal battle, there is no sweeter taste. You cannot make a machine feel pain, and an abominable, false intelligence cannot earn victory. You can strike a cavern into a mountain with your sword, but it will never beg for mercy. An avalanche can turn you into paste, but it will never look you in the eye and tell you "Look, look upon the victor. Look upon the dagger in your heart and know that I wanted this."

So, in conclusion, it's all about the human touch baby.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Are there any good games similar to Shadow Tactics or Desperados that feel like less of a puzzler? I like the premise of those games, but I'm looking for something that requires a little less brainpower.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

FutureCop posted:

Not to keep banging on about it, but Satellite Reign is like that: it does have the option for stealth, but not only is going loud just as viable, stealth is way more simple and improvisational with just dodging standard patrols and cameras. Quite a different experience compared to Desperado's brand of stealth where you're untangling a mess of overlapping view cones to find the one person who isn't being watched and where being seen equals death.

I'd actually like to know of other RTS-esque squad-based stealth games as well: maybe Silent Storm or Jagged Alliance? Freedom Force? Invisible Inc? Thinking about it, I suppose RTWP RPGs like Baldurs Gate or Pillars of Eternity are also kinda similar, but that's kind of shifting a bit too far off.

Yeah, I was really worried I was gonna get bored at first, and I bet I would've if I tried to perfect stealth my way through everything as I usually do with these types of games: instead I vary my approaches up constantly and that keeps things fresh. Some of my favorite heists were ones where I just blow the door down and try and speedrun my way through the facility before reinforcements get too intense!

I can only speak to Invisible Inc., which I want to enjoy a lot more than I do. It's a great and suspenseful game at the mechanical level, but I find the campaigns go a little longer than I like. But it's highly rated for a reason, so I'm likely just an outlier here. You can't go wrong with cyberpunk Mission: Impossible.

Playing Pillars of Eternity 2 with a full stealth crew (or even on a solo stealth run) is hella fun. I never found a place it the game where it isn't viable, which says a lot about the design.

Lichtenstein posted:

Later Spellbound games were a little like that. Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood was decent (if a lil' short and easy compared to big puzzlers), but did the more action-oriented more open take on the genre, not unlike the upcoming Shadow Gambit. They also made Chicago 1930, which I believe pushed even harder in that direction and was a janky disappointment.

While not exactly the same genre, recent Aliens: Dark Descent might actually be closer to what you're looking for than this minigenre of rube goldberg puzzles masquerading as tactics.

That Rube Goldberg comment is exactly right. Thanks for the A:DD rec; I'll add it to my wishlist.

Sab669 posted:

I thought Desperados 3 felt much more open than ST because you could go 'loud' with guns a bit more freely. Being loud in ST felt way more risky/punishing. So in that sense it felt less like a puzzle and more about choosing your style.

I think I found Cyber Knights: Flashpoint via ya'lls NextFest Demo Review effort posts, I played through the demo a little bit yesterday and it seemed pretty cool. Felt similar to those two games because you have to like cut power to security cameras and manage enemies' vision cones. Although it's probably too puzzle-y for what you're looking for; I didn't play too long because I wasn't in the mood to super focus and figure out what I Should be doing :v:

I've had CKF on my wishlist for a long time, didn't know the demo was out. Thanks, I'll take a gander.

Hwurmp posted:

you might have to look at different kinds of stealth game

Mark of the Ninja is good

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Mark of the Ninja. The gameplay is fluid as hell.

ZearothK posted:

Satellite Reign is a cyberpunk game that kinda fits the bill. You can spec your squad into stealth and approach most of the game that way, but it is less of a puzzler because when you gently caress up it just means it is time to go bring in the big guns and blow your way out.

Sounds like Satellite Reign might be what I'm looking for so I'll grab that first. ~~Thanks folks for all the recommendations~~

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Volte posted:

When I play Disco Elysium again I'm turning all the voices right off. Sitting and waiting for people to finish reading what I already finished reading 15 seconds ago is extremely grating to me (and why I always turn off subtitles in games with cinematic cutscenes). Maybe I'll just put it in non-Final-Cut mode though since some of the voices do add a lot to the character, but I know I'll either end up cutting off half the dialogue partway or if I try to sit through every line read I'll burn out on the game way sooner.

I always do this for games with a lot of text, even if the voice acting is really good. I hate to diminish the work that voice actors put into their roles, but I really just prefer to read at my own pace and let my imagination fill in the voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
AC Odyssey and AC Origins are on sale. I'll probably only have the energy to play one or the other. Haven't played more than an hour of any AC games since the Ezio trilogy (which I loved) and don't care at all about the sci-fi parts of the story. Of the two, which is worth getting?