Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

I've never seen a game that had more than 3 different meaningful walk speeds, in which case just using 2 modifier keys like Shift and Ctrl works perfectly fine.

Because you never played a proper running sim. Go ahead and try QWOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1638212897703854081

mirror's edge being removed from Steam for no particularly good reason (its only online component is leaderboards)

get excited for the inevitable $70 low effort remaster in a couple of years

Not sure if that has changed over time, but Mirror's Edge used to be a standard Steam game, i.e. no EA login/launcher. I wouldn't be surprised if this delisting was there to make way for a mandatory launcher version.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Kins posted:

They're removing it from consoles, too.

Weird. Well, at any rate, I can't recommend it enough to anyone who doesn't own it already. It's currently on sale on Steam, and pretty sure it's also on GOG. Fantastic game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I think I spent over 100h on Odyssey, enjoying it a lot due to the setting (modern day poo poo and baby chapter being notable exceptions), and I seem to remember that those mercenaries hunting you down would basically level up over time? It wasn't exactly interesting nor memorable, mind. More of a sigh whenever you were trying to do your peaceful stuff in the middle of a city and one showed up. It just got in the way basically, randomly throwing HP sponges at you.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

maybe Nexon shouldn't sell stolen poo poo themselves like The Sinking City if they don't want their poo poo to be stolen

Nexon, not Nacon.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

Diablockchain

This has to be the vilest thing I have ever read in this entire forum section. :stonk:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Placid Plastic Duck Simulator is awesome, because I had it scheduled for gift delivery on xmas day for my 14y.o. son who wanted Dark Souls 3. Totally worth it. I ended up sending him DS3 too, but not until I was sure he totally hated my guts while struggling to maintain a brave "ha ha dad, that's so funny" figure. :getin:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Same with Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

Those games are all just Crimson Land clones anyway. Besides, the thing that made VS the phenomenon that it was was its ridiculous amount of ever growing unlocks, systems and secrets, did Magic Survivor have all of that? Legit curious, I don't know.

Nah, it's the chest opening music.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

boofhead posted:

Tbh I think it's perfectly fine to not have an SSD. You turn your PC on as normal and while it's starting up you just do whatever for a little bit. Rewind some tapes, call your friends house and ask their mum if theyre around and can come cycle to the park and throw rocks at that tree that got hit by lightning a few years back, go play in a storm drain, that sort of thing. Then when you're done you come home, exit the screensaver, log in to windows 95, chuck the command and conquer 1 play cd into your gaming rig, make sure the turbo mode button is pressed even though you're not quite sure what it does, and off you go. I challenge any SSD cultist to point out a single observable difference between this experience and theirs

drat, I feel young again. :unsmith:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
April's Humble Choice just landed, copy pasting, so sorry but all caps:

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT
ALIENS: FIRETEAM ELITE
ROLLERDROME
LIFE IS STRANGE 2: COMPLETE SEASON
THE LIFE AND SUFFERING OF SIR BRANTE
MONSTER PROM 2: MONSTER CAMP
REVITA
FOUNDERS' FORTUNE

Death Stranding Director's Cut will be enough for me not to skip the month, yay. Curious about Rollerdrome too, shades of Rollerball in there, even though it's actually a shooter.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 4, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Stumbled across a game called Hieronymus Bosch’s Brutal Orchestra on the front page yesterday and it looks extremely my kind of thing

It's great. I picked it up during the winter sale and got completely hooked. The turn-based combat which basically is the game is very very good, and it sits on top of the deliciously weird graphics and plot and some great music which occasionally merges with the combat by adding/removing instruments to the track as musical instrument looking enemies appear/die.

But really, beyond the presentation which is a big part of the appeal, I can't overstate how clever the turn-based combat is. It looks pretty straightforward at first, but quickly ramps up and late-game has you thinking up each turn really carefully. That's despite the fact that each character can only use one ability and do one movement each turn, and you can generally see what monsters are going to do on their turn and in what order. Since some monster abilities can be devastating, you'll think hard about how to mitigate the risks, or who to sacrifice if there's no escape.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Would anyone here volunteer to sell me on Subnautica? I'm almost 6h in and pondering just calling it a day and uninstalling, which feels a bit mad considering I love underwater settings. Now, I didn't expect this to be the chill experience of Endless Ocean 1&2, but I have been taken aback at how much a modern survival game first and foremost. Food/Drink drain is ridiculous enough, but oxygen takes the cake. I only have the second kind of oxygen tanks, and that gives me 130s of breathing, 100s more with a second tank which I can carry and switch to. And effectively less since under 100m it drains faster (well I have a helmet to help with that, but if I switch to it I take radiation damage...). So so far, it has never been about taking in the surroundings and enjoying the atmosphere, it's always been racing against the clock. The worst was the first explorable wreck I found, which ended up being a stupid rush and mouselook as fast as possible to locate interactables rather than the slow/ominous exploration I'd have expected.

Please tell me I have missed something and I'll soon be able to get more than the minute and a half of oxygen I have to deal with right now. The gauge watching is really doing my head in, and if that's supposed to be the whole game, well, I'll have to accept it's just not for me.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the insights folks. Think I have full Seamoth blueprints, but am only at 1/3 on the vehicle bay. Guess I'll push a bit more and see if the other parts show up. Apparently, freedom mode can't be triggered in full on an existing save, but it can be activated per session from a dev console, so I'll do that and see how it goes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Gromit posted:

Wishlisted Everspace 2 after some posts here making it sound like something I'd get into, but that means I need to ask about the first Everspace. Is that worth getting as well?

I'll go against the grain and say yes, it's worth it, but with some caveats. First, it's a run based game, so don't go there if you're after an open world experience. It's all about going through an FTL style map set of nodes and winning the run or dying, then doing it again. It's very pretty, the combat is basically Descent but in open space instead of a mineshaft, there are three different ships to choose from, and there's even some degree of exploration/puzzle on some map nodes.

Now the game has two main issues:
- it's a metaprogression game, so there's no balance. You start ridiculously weak, and should you end up grinding everything you'll be obscenely overpowered. There's a wide and comfortable middle-ground in there which is likely where you'll end up, but there's no way around it: the first dozen runs are going to feel poo poo, which is exacerbated by the existence of "increased loot%" upgrades which you'll likely want to prioritise, pushing your actual ship upgrades even further in time.
- there are only so many nodes, and after a while, you'll be a bit too familiar with them, making all runs feel very much the same despite randomisation. Thankfully, the DLC addresses that big time, adding plenty of new nodes, new weapons, a fourth ship, and a good few NPCs with quests that take place over multiple runs. It adds some very much needed variety to the game and I would purchase the DLC asap if/when you played enough of the base game to know that you're enjoying it.

I like it a lot, but I won't lie: the first few runs tested my patience as metaprogression is an absolute plague on gaming. So is leveled/tiered loot, but that, at least, is absent from the first game where Corrosion Missiles are just Corrosion Missiles and will wreck the poo poo out of enemy corvettes every single time. If you like run-based games and think you can deal with the early grind, it's a very neat game which costs the same price as Vampire Survivors during sales.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Evochron Mercenary is another one in the genre. There's a more recent Evochron Legacy SE too, from the looks of it. In a drastically different style, there's Objects in Space, where the twist is that you're not space dogfighting, but more like playing a sub sim (all about silent cruising and avoiding detection) and from a first person perspective as you physically run through the ship to operate the stations or repair poo poo.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

I love Objects in Space conceptually but can't recommend anyone buy it at this point when they ceased development due to money issues with massive bugs that'll crop up regularly and ruin your runs.

Fair enough, I haven't touched it in ages and never got too far, and the mixed reviews seem to echo your issues.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Battle Brothers is at a historical low of 67% off on Steam. Of course, I picked up the full pack on GMG 3 days ago...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

Polychromia ($7) - Solid draw-a-line puzzler where you have to weave colored lines through each other to create new colors in order for those lines to reach their intended target. This one's a little too tough for me even in the first group of puzzles, so I may just be too dumb for this one, and I'll pass on it. The tricky part is definitely that you have to cross every square in the grid for a valid solution.

The Witness PTSD kicking in in 3...2...1...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Pirate Captain posted:

It can work if they color code the map by what ability is blocking a particular path

Guacamelee does that and it's great. But then, Guacamelee is great in general.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mzbundifund posted:

I love video game spiders. They’re never the main villain, they don’t have big sinister plots, they’re just hardworking chaff enemies with the occasional big level boss. They don’t put on airs or look down on anyone, they’re just here to chitter about on some big webs and flail at you with simple movesets.

It's all fun and games until one of them starts shooting a laser beam:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Diephoon posted:

I'm hoping VS goes full circle and makes a definitely-not-Castlevaina game.
:hmmyes:

With Super Mario sprites.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fruits of the sea posted:

"You hosed up"

To be fair it didn't break the game, just the main quest. I'm sad they stopped doing this in the later games, it's fun knowing how and why I broke the game.

Pretty sure you can still beat the main quest too, you just broke the guidance and the scripted quests, but the tools are still around and you can make your way to the final dungeon on your own.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
TIL there is a Beat Hazard 3. It looks like a cool upgrade to the recipe too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Bethesda have been poo poo since they decided they didn't want to only be known as "the Elder Scrolls people". Which is my own personal drama because I just want more Elder Scrolls. :negative:

(and none of that shite about TES online)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Nah, I'll just tinker yet another set of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and it'll work out. Like, this is a keyboard game, it totally doesn't need that stupid mouse driver and I'm now 43kB of conventional memory closer to whatever the game requires! Now if I could switch the sound card's IRQ...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

"Do a stupid thing because it's cool"
:hmmyes:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Deakul posted:

Not surprising when the devs implement a cash shop that sells equipment in early access.

Now let me tell you about Star Citizen...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Have been keeping Vaporum in wishlist for a while but never ended pulling the trigger. For some reason, I never managed to really enjoy single character blobbers, starting from the old Dungeon Hack which would otherwise have been my dream game back then. It's a bit silly as ultimately, whether it's one or several characters having actions shouldn't make a difference, since you don't even see them or move them around tactically. But I haven't yet found a single player one that provides the breadth of options you get from the usual party with melee/ranged/magic options all available at the same time. Anvil of Dawn was another old one that was pretty well received but I never managed to get too far before dropping it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Zomborgon posted:

The most consistent definition of immersive sim is "game made by people who've worked for Ion Storm, Looking Glass, or Arkane"

Nobody else bothers with it

Not sure if that definition covers the Hitman devs, but if not then it's :wrong:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
New make your own bundle at Fanatical: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/dystopian-dreams-build-your-own-bundle

I'd hotly recommend Golf Club Wasteland (feels a bit like an extended minigame, but they absolutely nailed the mood with the radio) and Cosmic Star Heroine (great pseudo 16-bit era JRPG but with a lot of modern comfort).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:shepspends:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Careful Master, a GOBLIN! :eek:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
And it wouldn't fix any issues since DD1 doesn't have any issues in the first place. :colbert:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

What's going on with all these big releases that just don't loving work or aren't ready at all.

The industry finally realised that it doesn't matter: gamers will buy it anyway as long as it's the franchise they invested their identity into.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

"Ateiler" is an artist's loft, so what the gently caress are those games about

Anime girls doing kawaii things and developing/deploying thermonuclear devices made from pinecones.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I realise the movies are 20 years old by now, but I remember that back then Gollum was kind of a big deal due to a combination of the actor, the CGI, and the millions of people who had never read the books and were like omgsuchaplottwist in each movie as Gollum got more fleshed and eventually turned out to be critically important.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Warhammer sale is my usual cue to shill Armageddon to anyone who likes classic hex wargames. It's basically PanzerCorps but 40k themed, and you get to play the Imperial Guard during the second war for Armageddon (Ork invasion), with all the toys from conscripts to superheavies and even Titan Legion support. Space Marines show up too, as per the lore of this conflict. You have a core army which carries over through the campaign, gaining experience, and you end up gloriously overpowered in the final few missions (the braindead Ork AI doesn't help either).

It's a lot of fun, and there are DLC campaigns should you enjoy it enough to want more, with Ork Hunters a particular highlight as far as I'm concerned.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Randallteal posted:

Things only 90s pc gamers can appreciate:

• Having to run back-to-back installers and put in new CD keys for each disk to install games with multiple expansions
• Manually downloading and installing patches from random websites, assuming you know they're available and have an internet hookup
• Getting flagged by devs' homemade DRM solutions on retail disks
• "Please insert disk 6 to continue"

"Please enter the 4th letter of the 14th word in the 3rd paragraph of page 28 of the Manual."

Or, if you go back further enough:

"Some important poo poo happens. Go read game event 19 in the game events chapter of the manual."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Indie games also include a poo poo ton of low effort asset flip, bad and broken games. For every FTL, there are 50 Extreme Puzzle Waifu Gaiden with costume DLCs.