Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Velocity Raptor posted:

You can only find the fast travel consumable. (I was going back and forth between "find" and "can't even buy" and ended up with something completely wrong)
That's still kind of weird. So the intention is to discourage frequent fast travel, so that you have to wander back and forth and presumably uncover stuff? Do the drop rates of the consumable increase as more of the map uncovers?

Like, I could see how that might be a viable--if odd--mechanic if implemented in an intentional way.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Not remembering the path to the green cumbled wall you saw 4 days ago is pretty common.
Take screenshot of green crumbled wall, take screenshot of map showing path to said wall. Later when you're at a dead end you go through your album of screenshot looking for things you may be able to access now and go there.

Doesn't work in Hollow Knight though due to broken map system. Wonder if they'll ever patch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Can't speak for Symphony of the Night but no one thinks Hollowknight is beloved because of it's map traversal systems.

Pretty sure when it was released there were a lot of people upset at how easy it was to miss the map guy, at least.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Doesn't work in Hollow Knight though due to broken map system. Wonder if they'll ever patch that.
What broken map system?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
generally in most competently designed metroidvanias you can look at the map and see big blank spots on the map and look around the rooms bordering it, and it's relatively obvious which rooms have exits you haven't taken yet. not sure how that game handles it or if it just doesn't work well that way

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ninjoatse.cx posted:

...have you tried playing some of the larger metroidvanias without a guide? Or are you marathoning them in 12 hour sprints?

Not remembering the path to the green cumbled wall you saw 4 days ago is pretty common.

Can't speak for anyone else, and not saying that what you're describing isn't an issue for people, but I've always just checked the map when I wasn't sure where to go and tried to find doors I hadn't gone through. But I've got terrible memory for details anyway, so I often forget that the key item I picked up would help me get past a notable landmark.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

...have you tried playing some of the larger metroidvanias without a guide? Or are you marathoning them in 12 hour sprints?

I take notes while I play games.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
It can work if they color code the map by what ability is blocking a particular path. Something I played recentlyish did that, maybe Ender Lilies? But a huge area with no map cues and limited fast travel sounds no fun. Super Metroid et al make it work by having small maps, well designed levels, shortcuts that point you in the right direction, etc so it’s definitely possible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

generally in most competently designed metroidvanias you can look at the map and see big blank spots on the map and look around the rooms bordering it, and it's relatively obvious which rooms have exits you haven't taken yet. not sure how that game handles it or if it just doesn't work well that way

Yeah, even if you don't know why you should go somewhere, you still know that it's the right place to go.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

IMO, the obtuse mapping and fast travel systems in Hollow Knight only work because they nearly perfected every other part of the game. Aimlessly wandering in HK is it's own experience because of the tight controls, inspired art design, and incredible soundtrack.

I can easily see how the same systems in a less well designed game would sour the experience.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
you're all starting to make me hate hollow knight. i hope silksong FLOPS!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Flash player getting deprecated really hit Silksong hard :grin:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

What broken map system?
There's lots of dumb things about Hollow Knight's map system, but the particularly annoying one is where it doesn't update the map until you rest at a bench. So the approach I described above that I used to play every other Metroidvania doesn't work the first (or sometimes second, depending if you found Cornier) time you explore an area.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like Hollow Knight a lot and it's one of my favorite games but I also really hate things like having to use a badge to see where you are on the map. It doesn't add anything at all to the game for me and I do not have great spatial awareness so I was essentially down a badge slot the whole game. I still beat everything including the DLC just fine and it wasn't the biggest issue but I don't think it was a good design decision. Finding a dude to fill in the map was fine because he was pretty noisy and left stuff lying around where he was.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mr E posted:

I like Hollow Knight a lot and it's one of my favorite games but I also really hate things like having to use a badge to see where you are on the map. It doesn't add anything at all to the game for me and I do not have great spatial awareness so I was essentially down a badge slot the whole game.
I thought of it as an extra charm slot I could use for boss fight builds, since I didn't need to look at the map when going to fight the same boss for the fifth time with a slightly different build from the last time. Otherwise I agree.

Mr E posted:

Finding a dude to fill in the map was fine because he was pretty noisy and left stuff lying around where he was.
Cornifer was kind of cool. I see what they were going for. The idea is that the first time you enter (or accidentally fall into) a new area it's supposed to be a bit unnervy as you explore without a map and have to get an overall sense of the area before you can really explore it in earnest. I didn't really like what they did in Fog Canyon where you can hear him early but you're gated off from accessing him until much later. Of course, you're really just supposed to briefly pass through that area on your way to Queen's Station but in the moment it's unclear.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's lots of dumb things about Hollow Knight's map system, but the particularly annoying one is where it doesn't update the map until you rest at a bench. So the approach I described above that I used to play every other Metroidvania doesn't work the first (or sometimes second, depending if you found Cornier) time you explore an area.

thats not broken. thats just designed in a way you dont like. its deliberate

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

drat that would be embarrassing if they'd said it was broken

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

drat that would be embarrassing if they'd said it was broken

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Volte posted:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What broken map system?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HK... What a game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The Flash player getting deprecated really hit Silksong hard :grin:

gottem

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

thats not broken. thats just designed in a way you dont like. its deliberate
All of these things can be true at the same time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess jedi survivor is pretty decent then. highest OC score for a non-remake AAA game this year. pc gamer mentions poor performance so, once again, respawn hosed up there

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

i guess jedi survivor is pretty decent then. highest OC score for a non-remake AAA game this year. pc gamer mentions poor performance so, once again, respawn hosed up there

I just expect every AAA game to have garbage performance for the first 1-3 months now. Makes me feel better about waiting to buy games.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Klepek has something up for Vice that talks a little about the game but more about the weird state of games criticism: https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkapyz/star-wars-jedi-survivor-review

quote:

What to make of 10 hours with a video game that had performance issues, only to have many of those issues disappear right before release?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anno posted:

Klepek has something up for Vice that talks a little about the game but more about the weird state of games criticism: https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkapyz/star-wars-jedi-survivor-review
i do get it, but i think as a reviewer it's up to you to review it in the state that it's in, not the state that the company promises it will be. i'd rather have my review be slightly outdated by patches fixing things, than influence people into buying a broken product because a publisher claims it'll all be fixed some day

but i also agree with jeff gerstmann's take that the best thing to do is to review post-launch. but that's not number go up analytics CPM

e: another indie banger on the way

hardcore gamer:

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 26, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New Oregon Trail DLC just hit.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2316610/The_Oregon_Trail__Cowboys_and_Critters_DLC/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Jedi Survivor still take like 150 gb to install because goddamn.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Hah, was just going to ask if anyone has tried Cassette Beasts yet.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Pirate Captain posted:

It can work if they color code the map by what ability is blocking a particular path

Guacamelee does that and it's great. But then, Guacamelee is great in general.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

They should make more good metroidvanias and fewer bad ones

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Silksong will be good but will it be as good as reading overly dramatic posts hand-wringing about Team Cherry's radio silence?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

Silksong will be good but will it be as good as reading overly dramatic posts hand-wringing about Team Cherry's radio silence?
it will be better, because it's coming out at the next (name of direct/press event)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

funkmeister posted:

Hah, was just going to ask if anyone has tried Cassette Beasts yet.

i've played an hour and it seems like they've done some smart poo poo mechanically and the vibes are on point

loving this so far. will see how it continues.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Owl Inspector posted:

Metroidvania Afterimage is out now, had an eye on this one for a bit so I hope it's good. Reviews are currently 71% positive.

I think the artwork looks great on the surface and vibes are one of the most important parts of a metroidvania so it's on the right track & I hope the world design can match it. post impressions if anyone tries it.
Flipping through this game's screenshots, and a few gameplay videos, there's something about it's look that doesn't quite click with me, but I'm not sure I have the vocabulary to express it properly.

There's a...busy-ness to some of its character design that doesn't seem to scale well with the camera pulled so far back? My eyes kinda glaze over the character models in motion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

NEW QUEST—FORLORN HOPE

A new path to California has been forged, getting emigrants there faster than ever before! But is it really the way of the future, or will it lead to one unfortunate party's demise?
Follow the Donner-Reed Party's journey and maybe even help them along the way!

That's certainly an exciting new way to lose at Oregon Trail

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Cassette Beasts is on gamepass, woo!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Agreed. Super Metroid could get away with only having indirect pathing because the game map is ultimately small enough that if you do get lost, you'll still find the right spot soon enough by just randomly wandering around.

That becomes a rougher ask as the map size increases.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
People complained about the fast travel in Hollow Knight, especially some areas being too far from stag stations. The devs added at least one extra stag station to the Ancient Basin to make it a bit better. They also introduced the Dream Nail teleportation in a patch.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Jedi Survivor still take like 150 gb to install because goddamn.

Yep, I preloaded it and it took a while lol

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Just got Shadows of Doubt to give it a whirl, tried to escape from an apartment I'd broken into during the tutorial and got lost in the vents, I found an exit but it was too high to get back into, and then I was stuck in a bedroom with both tenants home in the other room between me and the door. Had to punch my way out and leg it, I don't know how long I can stay interested with procgen content but so far it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I normally hate procgen but I could see myself really getting into Shadows of Doubt. It feels less like a traditional detective story game and more like a ridiculously elaborate sudoku or something. Start with a small number of knowns, a huge number of unknowns, and a number of techniques to fill in the blanks. So far I've only done the pre-set starting mission but I enjoyed it.

I did find a bug where I sat down on a bench outside a perp's apartment to wait for them to leave and when I tried to stand up, I clipped into the apartment behind me and got stuck in there while trespassing. Save often folks.