Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

what's everyone's first purchase for 2023? i got chained echoes
I got My Time at Sandrock and Gedonia

although I'm not done necessarily. I'm gonna see what's in the Humble Choice on Tuesday and then I'll buy a couple more things. I'm thinking Cruelty Squad bare minimum, maybe Dread Delusion, Overboard, Viviette and Stonefly. And Chop Goblins. Idk, maybe more. Why not tank my backlog stats yet again??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FF12 is actually RTWP combat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man nurse posted:

It, and 12 which is what I was actually referring to in the first place, are much less overtly anime than say X or XIII or VII Remake which is gasping and grunting all day to extremely melodramatic situations. But thanks for the input, worst poster in Games.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh your one of those grunting weirdos

FF14 is still the most anime of them all ignoring your weird hang ups
a new steam thread and already it's happening again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*yelling loudly at the cashier* excuse me does this cereal have any GMOs in it??? i'm not allergic, i just need to know if it has a lot of GMOs or if its GMO free

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Amazon Prime Gaming games for January: Chicken Police, Breathedge, Faraway 2, Lawn Mowing Simulator, Mom Hid My Game (Switch eShop code), and The Evil Within 2 (GOG)

Humble Choice in 45 minutes I think but we already know Doom Eternal, OlliOlli World and Tribes of Midgard are 3 of the 8

GamePass for January at the moment is: Stranded Deep, Persona 3 Portable (1/19), Persona 4 Golden (1/20), Monster Hunter Rise (1/20), Age of Empires 2 Definitive (1/31), and Inkulinati (1/31). But I would expect a proper announcement of additions soon.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 3, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cowcaster is right

it's not a souls game

not sure what the confusion is all about

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

how am i the butthurt one here
literally all you said was "sekiro is different from souls, like DMC is different from zelda" and that was enough to launch essays from the people who, by the way? they're laughing actually. not melting down

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

stux is agreeing with you
stux is an argument hypeman. it's fine

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

So we got dark souls 2, marauders, tired git gud posts, what’s next for the new steam thread speedrun
we already had "is this game too anime", so i guess next would be "here's my steam sales haul". here's my steam/eshop sales haul

Cruelty Squad
Astalon
Gedonia
Dread Delusion
My Time at Sandrock
Ctrl-Alt-Ego
Courier of the Crypts
Super Sami Roll
Overboard!
FAR: Lone Sails (Switch)
Transiruby (Switch)
Picross S: Sega Genesis (Switch)

AfricanBootyShine posted:

was that a real thing??
There's a belief (which I don't subscribe to) that if you are influenced by an art style then you have to accept all the baggage that comes with it, such as the racism of the cartoons that were drawn in that style originally in the 30s. this was traded around in a couple of thinkpieces and social medias and then there was a big cohost post piggybacking off of that to talk about the appropriation and racist baggage that Sable inherits by being inspired by Moebius

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Cool, and therefore doesn't justify it's difficulty is what I'm saying.
I think it probably does justify its difficulty since a lot of people love it and have beaten it (including our very own VideoGames), it is highly acclaimed and was second place in SA's GOTY vote of 2019. idk what justifying even means in this context. the game expects you to meet it at its level. there are plenty of challenging games out there like that. if i think of games that don't justify their difficulty, i'd say that, like, if Lil Gator Game suddenly had a 90 minute endurance section with spikes/lava everywhere where you start over on death, that would not be very justified in what is otherwise a very chill and family-friendly game. sekiro is a challenging game that is about honing and perfecting a skill and then executing it. what is out of place about the difficulty?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's just a lil confusing to me, I don't even go super nerdy for From games, DS2 and Elden Ring are the only two i've ever played all the way to completion. this argument just seems like going on American Ninja Warrior and asking them why they can't add trampolines

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think the purpose of it is to make a deliberately challenging game that is purely a test of skill... I don't think there's much more to it than that. :shrug:

also the Overboard I got is the Inkle one that is the reverse murder mystery game on the boat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if they made a game from the ground up with difficulty settings in mind, they would design the game around that. so i suspect it would be fine. but they didn't do that for Sekiro, because that's not what they wanted to do. they had a very clear goal with it.

it just seems weird to keep hammering on this. not every game's gonna vibe with ya

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at this point the oldest thing on my wishlist is The Amber Throne, which I put in my wishlist all the way back in 2016.

other oldest-wishlisted games: Blackwood Crossing, Keen: One Girl Army, A Tale of Two Kingdoms, The Inner World 2, Maggie's Apartment, the two Star Trek point & click adventures, Prominence, She Save, Omensight, World of Final Fantasy, Steven Universe: Save the Light, Hidden Paws Mystery, Return., Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Illusion: A Tale of the Mind, Devolver Bootleg, Yuppie Psycho, Interrogation, Hardland, Skybolt Zack, Heart of the Woods

everything after was wishlisted in 2020 or later so they don't feel that old to necessarily need to prune them out. and honestly i don't have an intense need to prune at the moment anyway. it's not like the list is a bunch of stinkers, I think Hardland is the only one in that list above that has mixed reviews, and I didn't have a bad time of it from the demo, so, IDK.

the scary thing for my wishlist is that there's another Steam Next Fest in a month.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

this year i hope that least one of the early access games i bought when i wanted to spend money comes out in 1.0

sid meier's skyships
minimalist morrowind
fleshpunk fallout
czechoslovakian quake
gamer brain fuel tank filler
the one i got in a bundle, which doesn't seem promising

i'm choosing to believe that all of them will :getin:
i think HROT and Wrath will. it took wrath a long time because of the pandemic but they are working pretty consistently on it now, and HROT already has a couple of e3 maps i think

dread delusion i'm not sure because if it's going for elder scrolls the dev might take some time to put a lot of content in

i expect Dread Templar, Viscerafest, and Blood West to hit 1.0 this year. My Time at Sandrock, Satisfactory and Slime Rancher 2 are possibly edge cases, and then Lunacid 1.0 I expect in 2024.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TLOU releases on Steam in March, not in a week

I also spotted some release date adjustments in Feb-April... Walking Dead Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 is dated for February (i didn't know it was episodic??), inti creates' "castlevania with two characters from nothing in particular, they came from space, don't look into it" game Grim Guardians releases Feb 23rd, retro FPS Perish releases Feb 2nd. scars above moved back one day to the 28th.

in March, the Rakuen dev has a new game called Mr Saitou that releases March 23rd. half-life inspired VR game Vertigo 2 finally comes out on March 30th, The Wild Eight dev's new game The Day Before releases on March 1st. then in April, Roots of Pacha releases April 25th.

System Shock remake, in an act of playing a game of chicken, has maintained its release date of March. i'd be so, so, incredibly just unbelievably shocked if it were to get delayed again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

someone else posted it somewhere around when elden ring came out so i can't take credit for it but most triple a developers are absolutely terrified that the player might miss out on any single second of content they spent all this money creating and from software is absolutely and unabashedly unafraid to let players miss content.
i mentioned this but it was also brought up in a game makers toolkit video i think. basically publishers are seeing the low achievement rates on content including the campaign-related achievements and they're unhappy about it. so games are getting streamlined in a funnely way to make sure players see as much of the content as possible. any friction must be eliminated

i wouldn't be surprised if the next GOW doesn't even have side content. i think the era of every AAA game being an "open world with tower that reveals 200 chores around you" experience is nearing an end. there will still be a few but. i would expect ragnarok to be a blueprint for how AAA publishers go forward

every media industry seems obsessed with analyticing their respective fields to death

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i think a lot of psychos hounded him off the internet for it which was bad but that guy who spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to dash jump over that block in the cuphead tutorial amazes me to this day
don't worry he came back and wrote apologia for the saudi crown prince

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it turns out the only thing harder than cuphead is not keeping your loving mouth shut

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

im going to kill him with a sword
too far. kragger has my protection

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

I bought the boomer shooter humble bundle last month and just want to make sure I can play these in any order. If not, which should come first?

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock
Dread Templar isn't out of Early Access yet (though it will be soon) so you can put that one last

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

but why though, like it's not even by a developer with any kind of reputation. it's by the OTHER avalanche, the one that DIDN'T do Just Cause or Mad Max. they haven't really done anything notable

that's what confuses me the most. maybe i just don't get "AAA hype"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

Harry Potter is a big IP that a lot of people have affection for in spite of JK Rowling's antics.
so is Aliens but that doesn't mean I'm gonna play Colonial Marines

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deakul posted:

Having grown up with all things Harry Potter, haters vacate.
no thanks, i'm going to continue to hate racism and transphobia

anyone want to shill for the kyle rittenhouse game next

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gamedec is free on Epic: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/gamedec

this is one where it's hard to recommend at full price but for free it's an easy call. it's a cyberpunk detective game where you solve crimes in video game worlds. it's all stat check based and so that can determine what clues you get access to and which you're locked out from.

it's not perfect but it's interesting and the visuals are nice. text-heavy, though, I don't think there's any VA. also at one point they put the characters from Seven: the Long Days Gone in it just because they liked that game? so that's fun i guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i choose to be optimistic about the hogwarts game; like for example, maybe jk rowling will die before the game comes out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I shant play it as it seems real boring and Harry Potter sucks
it's got several marks against it:

1) harry potter is cringe
2) jk rowling
3) AAA open world game
4) by a dev whose last non-Disney game was 25 to Life for the PS2
5) storyline sounds bad
6) not Silksong

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's just so many indie games that it makes boycotting not buying AAA games very easy for me. i already have over 100 games on my wishlist that are not out yet, i don't really need more games. and that's with next fest coming up in february....

Cactus posted:

1 & 3 are subjective, 5 it's not out yet so we can't know. 4 I know nothing about.

The rest are fair points.
not sure what makes 3 subjective but 1 sure. i concede that it is just my opinion that HP is terrible garbage

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 13, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

merry wintereenmas, ethan

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh well yea i normally can't stand AAA open world games haha

elden ring was one of the few to break the curse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man the serpent rogue is confusing. they explain nothing, so stuff happens without explanation and you just are expected to know what to do as if you had already played through the game before

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

release date updates: Dread Templar 1.0 releases on the 26th, Backwirefall releases on the 30th, and Rhythm Sprout launches on February 1st.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Is anyone else playing Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider? It's a retro cyberpunk Ninja Gaiden Shinobi-like that came out a few days ago and it's been pretty cool so far. I've put a couple hours in and it seems like a fairly breezy 3-5 hour game altogether with some nice Genesis-era visuals and just enough of a challenge to not get too frustrating. Not amazing, but really solid.
I have it on my wishlist but the dev's previous game (Blazing Chrome) was on Gamepass so I'm wondering if this will pop up there at some point. the eternal indie purchasing dilemma...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

How does this franchise have fanboys already??
i only have seen enthusiasm from resetera and it's because half of them decided that critics of the game/dialog are secretly racist because the game has a black protagonist

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i've used mouse and keyboard for essentially everything for the past 20 years new controller doodads were never going to impress me
sounds like someone never had a gravis gamepad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Philippe posted:

Same. I've tried using a controller, but it never clicked.
this is practically an emo phillips joke

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sinatrapod posted:

Wow, that's a name that hasn't been spoken since before the cooling of the Earth's crust. That dev may not be quick, but you gotta admit he's persistent.
black ice narrowly beats it out in the eternal development cycle

https://store.steampowered.com/app/311800/Black_Ice/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also Secrets of Grindea is nearly finished. the devs are working on the final boss battle currently

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Teslagrad 2 announced it will have a demo during Steam Next Fest in February

i've tried to check to see what demos are queued for that time period but there's kinda nothing at the moment, nothing notable. a lot may be hidden or just not queued up yet

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kazil posted:

They are raising the price of an older game that never goes on sale? What's up with that?
it's so kovarex can buy an encyclopedia to learn that statutory rape wasn't invented recently

they can be expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i think i missed a beat

he's a dumbass and i will always dunk on him (i also am not stopping anyone from buying factorio i just like to laugh at him)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 20, 2023