Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Astlibra is a fun game that really does not need as many epilogue chapters as it has. I enjoyed playing it, I just don't need that much of it. It's like being handed a 5 gallon bucket of chocolate frostening. It sounds awesome and you say you want it, but once you've have a full cake out of it and eaten it, you really don't need more. The itch is scratched, you can stop scratching now and just say the game is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on Metal Wolf Chaos XD and Daemon X Mechina ?

Metal Wolf Chaos is an arena shooter has a fun but very same-y gameplay loop. Enough variety and enemies to be a solid game for the era it was a part of, but nothing really memorable other than the cute-sy cheesy cutscenes, which is why you play it. They also do the "you can take 50 hits, but touch water and you instantly die" thing, and combined with the "no save points" thing that was popular at the time, I rage quit it and just never finished it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought Elden Ring but haven't loaded it up yet (finishing up some other games first, since I heard it's long). Is the story connected to the other Dark Souls?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Made it to the third boss of Rogue Legacy 2, and I think I'd done with it. The boss isn't hard, I almost beat her on the first try, but the game play loop just doesn't feel as rewarding or as interesting as the first one. Two many doo dads to invest in, too many whatzits that let you do thingamabob, none of which really change that you're doing the same RNG blocks over and over. Oh boy, I can increase my character weight, which lets me equip better equipment which adds to my stats. Or I can increase my resolve, which will let me equip unique power ups I find. Never had to do either of those things in the first game, you just upgraded poo poo you wanted and found RNG stuff as you played. The first game was one of my favorites and it just felt alot tighter.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

rogue legacy 2's extremely granular progression can be a turnoff but i think your memories of the first are warped, it was a prototype for an entire genre and it's unplayable today

Not going back to test that theory. Letting the memories be:unsmith:

I played that thing for 18 hours straight.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Can someone help me with Astlibra? Specifically, the volcano area boss. Is there a trick to the boss or is it really a "Only possession skills can reach the weak point" or is there maybe a skill I missed somewhere in this level that could help?

Also, if there's a thread I'd appreciate being pointed that way instead. :)

Yes, you need to hit its eye for its first phase. Wind tiger is the talent they assume you have. You can use a few others like the earth one that attacks straight up, or a weapon with very long reach, but they are much much harder.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If i know nothing of One Piece, is One Piece Odyssey a good game?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Thanks everyone! Beat it before checking back in this thread by *sigh* being patient and taking like 15-20 minutes doing a slow, turtling, Wind Tiger strat.

But I do have another question now. Does Astlibra have multiple endings/paths or are the choices fluff? Because I am in the next chapter and Astraea is asking me to make a deal with her.

It has multiple endings in the sense that if you choose the wrong answer, the game ends, but you can reload the last save and keep going to get the TRUE ending. There are decisions that change the story slightly, but it straightens itself our eventually.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the One Piece advice. I’ll give it a pass.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Astlibra, chapter 6 onwards, is absolutely brutal what a spike

The game's difficulty is a huge sine wave. You'll spend 80% of the game holding right or left and attacking, and 20% of the game wishing for more save points and wanting the creator to do this fight with a gun to his head.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My rarest achievements are from playing Baldur's Gate: Dragonspear as an evil after everyone else played it before they released achievements.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sins of a solar empire multiplayer is the game you win because your friends just don’t want to play it anymore. If you build with defense in mind you were just so difficult to take over.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Only real issue is steam might just gently caress you out of a resold key.

Otherwise who cares? Piracy means "I dont have the money but I want the thing." Everything else is just garbage blowing around on an empty beach.

This happened to me with Dawn of War 3. Worked for 6 months and then steam removed it from my account. Was pretty cheesed (that I gave money to key scammers, not that I didn't have it), but I didn't really like the game that much.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

Do you get a message or something if this happens? I'm honestly not sure I would ever notice if something I bought a year ago disappeared out of my account if they didn't tell me. I end up trying to rebuy stuff I already own nearly every sale already.

You get a notification through your steam notifications. Really easy to miss if you don't know where to look for them. I didn't get an email or anything.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

The only game I've seen do quippy writing actually well is Guardians of the Galaxy.

GotG was a marvel movie with a game installed in it. I haven't seen most of them so I never got tired of them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

the dialog in the trailer has some of that 90s cringe to it as cowcaster said, although i'd say it felt like a different flavor of bad than the other types of AAA bad writing. more just, jokes that don't work and stale humor. the "well at least things can't get worse" *things get worse* kind of humor. rather than lampshading "THIS trope again!" humor

but the art team put a lot of love into the game. i wish writing teams were in love with the material as much as the design/art team was for these AAA games. because the art direction is actually pretty good, the animation almost Orange-level for what is in-game engine character animation. and that was kind of my feeling on Evil Within 2 as well, where the art/design team had a ball and the writing team was dragging behind not having the same amount of fun (except for a couple of notable scenes)

i'll have to see how it reviews

this trailer also made me realize i should at some point give sunset overdrive a fair chance

This is on Gamepass

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I uh, certainly never expected a Xenogears reference to be in Hi-Fi Rush.

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440

retraumatized. Xenogears was the best JRPG I ever played... until the second disc. ......................why.........

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I refunded a game after 4 hours because I was mad at how bad the interface was.

I've also refunded games that crash on alt-tab. No reason for that to happen in a single player game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Foul Fowl posted:

i recently finished northern journey and it's a rare treat. absolutely incredible adventure/FPS/walking sim/horror/metroidvania/etc. game. it creates a really evocative and cohesive world centred around scandi mythology, despite being pretty loving out there, or rather it's fully in line with how actually loving out there most scandi myths are, with some very unexpected, funny and memorable events. some janky ugly graphics and some text on the screen is all this game needs to do more to get you invested than a cutscene worked on by 100 people with paid hollywood voice actors. you never have any idea where the story is going next or what you're about to do but it all fits together into this compelling fantasy story that's equal parts about mythology and faith and community as it is about human ingenuity and its daredevil attitude towards the unknown. i'd hate to spoil anything about it, honestly, since that's half the fun of the game. but the dev is one of those people who seems to have realised that you can make your video game do anything so why just stick with boring stuff? the complete lack of information about this game online also definitely helps give the game a sense of mystery. it's one of those you want to keep playing to see what happens.

some of the steam reviews called it skyrim on acid and that's not inaccurate on a surface level but it's got so much more going for it besides just being a richer and better version of a scandi fantasy game.

it's also very pretty. i know i said it's ugly and it kinda is but you spend a lot of your time wandering and ziplining through norwegian mountains and hills and swamps and caves and it's a really pretty game. on some of the maps you'll start on the ground gradually making your way higher and higher, on some you'll delve far into the underground before coming back up. you unlock new means of transportation as you go on and ziplining across the landscape you just struggled through is, as in all games, a lovely feeling.

oh, and the combat. lol, the combat. this is probably where the game's going to lose people. if i was in a kind mood i'd say the combat is charmingly janky, if i wasn't i'd say it was pretty dogshit. other than boss fights you spend all your time fighting these incredibly unpleasant insects, arachnids, whatever ticks are, basically the whole game is crawling with giant bugs and they're really annoying to fight. some of them fly, some of them hide in the grass (and when they attack they attach themselves to your camera and take up like 50% of the screen for a few seconds while they suck your blood). and there are so many of them in the game (there's at least half a dozen kinds of spiders lmao). and they make insanely hideous crawling/flying/skittering bug noises, which is good, because it warns you that something is coming.

and yet. i still pushed through. i mostly have zero tolerance for stuff in games that i don't enjoy but i think northern journey gets away with it in my brain for a few reasons. 1) the game is made by a single dev so i'm much more forgiving of all weird decisions, and because it has such a clear vision throughout it's definitely part of the intended experience 2) because the enemies are so unpleasant to fight, you really appreciate all of the increasingly mechanically complicated weapons you get to fight them, reinforcing the thematic content of human ingenuity and conquering nature 3) going through areas you've cleared is great 4) since most of your weapons are affected by gravity and the insects move in a very insect-like way, becoming better at fighting them takes some amount of skill and it's very satisfying to line up three perfect shots in a row 5) it makes the game feel grounded, which is important when the game goes so out there in so many other ways 6) it leads to some moments of profound terror.

i did play it on the deck which made it a lot harder to aim. and it's possible i am huffing some pure strain copium wrt the combat because i loved the game so much.

anyway it's incredibly good. play if you enjoy video games.

The combat really is something else. You think you're doing something wrong, the game can't possibly be expecting you to do that, but sure enough, that's exactly what it wants you to do. And after you've shown you can do it, how about doing it while dancing on a tight rope above instant death and stuff is shooting at you. Yeah.

It also has some of the most memorable moments and OST in a video game I've played in the past 10 years. Even linking what they are is kind of ruins it since the music transitions hit you much out of nowhere as much as the gameplay itself.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Echoing what people are saying above about Troubleshooter. I made it much farther than most, but there really wasn't any end in sight and the gameplay loop can only be so interesting with the same enemies.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This thread reminded me that I bought Shadow of Mordor an eternity ago.

Just playing it now. It tries to take a clue from Arkham Asylum, but only kinda pulls it off. I'm so drat angry at this game for not doing what I wanted. Jump over him, NO DON'T CLIMB THE WALL. Jump off the wall, NO DON'T JUST DROP DOWN THREE FEET TO A PLACE WHERE THERE'S NOTHING. Grab him and drain him for ammo, OH JUST LIGHTLY TOSS HIM INTO THE BUSHES that 's exactly what i wanted to do what the gently caress are the controls in this game.

Also why is the camera so drat close. It's a stealther I don't need a detailed view of the main character's neck.

edit: Ditto the above about stopping all action so an enemy can have a not very interesting monologue.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

what's the thing that makes combat easy in yakuza0? am i supposed to be doing stuff in the city during the intro chapters? and leveling or something? i'm used to being spoonfed, so imagine my surprise when i was in my third battle without any potions or skills but two. i know i'm missing something basic cause i'm getting killed on easy while kiryu fights kuzes mooks

I think the Yakuza games also lean into the formula where the hardest fights are the earliest ones because you're not as good at the game, and have no power ups, but later you have a million and a half special moves and everything just kinda melts.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had the xbox app forget where i told it to install games and start putting them on my superfast OS drive

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WirelessPillow posted:

But how will I know where to go if not blindly following an arrow?

...have you tried playing some of the larger metroidvanias without a guide? Or are you marathoning them in 12 hour sprints?

Not remembering the path to the green cumbled wall you saw 4 days ago is pretty common.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gamepass is saving me alot of money from buying games that look cool just to be disappointed in them. The Last Case of Benedict Fox is the newest addition to games that look totally my jam but play like rear end.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Parallelwoody posted:

There is a multi-player survival game being made where you retake the mines of moria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VdC7SECMeE

Please don't suck

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Was going to come into the thread and ask if Boltgun was any good. As a boomershooter/Warhammer 40k game. I loved Space Marine, so my standards aren't super high

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The starship troopers game makes me hate early access. If I wait until they have the official release, will all the servers be dead like every old FPS?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did anyone here every play Ravenlok? I started it and the beginning is really boring. Is there a fun game hiding behind the worlds most uninteresting fetch quests?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Having never played a battlefield game, what's the selling point of "No Jets" ?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

You would think a foot fetishist would be able to design good looking feet. The arch on the one on the left looks like the inside of an empty bread bowl

Unrealistic beauty expectations are ruining today's youth :nono:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I normally enjoy roguelites, but there is a blend of progress you make because of your abilities and progress you make because of the metaprogression.

Meta-cliffs and skill-cliffs always feel extremely off and really take you out of the game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The example that pops to mind is rogue legacy 2 which had a boss that had a skill cliff, and how failing at that boss made you restart the game instead of just replaying that boss immediately like most modern games.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Voodoo Cafe posted:

bots are better than people, as far as FPS games are concerned anyway. no UT 2004 bot has ever called me a slur in chat or teabagged my corpse

You didn't get around much to the modded servers

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the thread's thoughts on Cruelty Squad? Must own, one off gimmick, or unplayable garbage?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anime...

was a mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6Cp2cB-30

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you delve into BG/Elder Scroll mods you deserve what you get

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I was just looking for romance mods, I wasnt looking for CRINGE.

Even the base romance in the game is fantasy expedited pulp-y romance. I remembered the game having great writing, but I was probably comparing it to all the JRPG stuff I'd played before where the plot and character agency is just dictated to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thief 4 legitimately makes me sad.

I've played through it twice, and can't really remember much of anything about it other than the weird animations it makes you do to skip loading screens. And that the engine was not meant for a stealther, and would make you make noise that the player couldn't hear. It was BS.