Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Midnight suns is really good despite the jank. Shame it's sales are so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zoux posted:

It would've been a day 1 buy for me except that's it's half visual novel.

Oh believe me, as someone who literally skips every cutscene the first time I play game, the required friendship building is easily the worst part of the game for me.

However, that's just how good the gameplay is. It does help that the writing is generally pretty strong and if you're a fast reader you can skip dialogue line-by-line.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

pentyne posted:

what the gently caress? why are you even playing games at that point?

To play the actual gameplay portions? I treat the story of games as bonus content. I don't see the point in getting invested in a story if the gameplay sucks. If I really want to know a game's story but the gameplay sucks I'll just watch a Let's Play or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Black Griffon posted:

I realize everyone's entitled to their own ways to play and that the nature of games means that there's really no "right" way to play and that claiming that someone is playing a game wrong is at the end of the day narrow minded and antithetical to the whole concept of play, but you're playing games wrong.

If developers want me to pay attention to their storyline they should make a good game first IMO

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

pentyne posted:

why do you play bad games?

Why do you?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Midnight Suns is extremely good. If you liked XCOM 1/2 or any tactical games even a little bit you should check it out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sab669 posted:

What if I like Tactics games like that but have zero interest in comic book stuff :thunk:

I literally skipped through every cutscene and dialogue the first time through and still enjoyed it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

deep dish peat moss posted:

Do you have to do the "walk around the mansion and talk to superhero friends" stuff to progress the game? I don't even want to skip through those dialogs but if I can avoid them altogether I want to give it a shot

Yup. There's some mandatory exploration and basic solving to unlock the full features of the abbey and progress the story but iirc you can always ignore them and keep doing the randomly generated missions. However there are characters and combat features hidden behind story progression so it's generally a good idea to complete them ASAP.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Majin posted:

I’m always boggled by why people would want to buy a game and then not engage with said game. It’s not like this stuff is unheard of or a super surprise. If you’ve been playing games for any length of time surely you’ve come across these types of concepts.

You can go on and say “waa I don’t like it and it’s not for me” but this is more often than not people wanting to send their steak back after eating half of it.

Like stop being such a whiner and accept that not every game is going to be your perfect game?

I'm not sure what part of my post was whining? I just don't bother engaging with any game's story unless I know I enjoy the gameplay

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2023

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's a shame you can't completely ignore the friendship building and even worse, the good stuff is gated behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-5EwwtawU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, I miss when Battlefield was good

I too miss 2006.

fake edit: Actually Bad Company 2 was pretty good too

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

repiv posted:

sony have been using a bunch of different studios for their PC ports, the only ones directly attributed to nixxes are the spiderman ports

returnal was climax studios, god of war was jetpack interactive, uncharted was also iron galaxy, etc

nixxes are in more of a support role i think

They should hand all porting duties to the guys who did the Spiderman ports, that poo poo runs amazing on my my GTX970. I'm convinced they used actual magic

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I tried to play XCOM 2 recently and was surprised to learn that I actually hate almost everything about it in retrospect. I ended up playing XCOM 1 again instead and it felt like a much better game despite some nice QOL changes in 2 :effort:

Same. While I can appreciate XCOM2's improvements, I think I vastly prefer XCOM1's setting and aesthetic.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are there any space based games like Mount and Blade, MechWarrior 5 or Battle Brothers where you control a single ship but can recruit other ships to fly with you?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Deakul posted:

Are there any non-survival game farming RTSes out there? Nothing at all like Rimworld or its ilk. More like something like Farming Simulator but you control everything from a top down perspective.

I'll settle for city builders in the same vein as Anno but with a heavier focus on agriculture.

I have no idea what a non-survival farming RTS is but Farthest Frontier has crop rotations?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Should I get Dredge or Dave the Diver?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is the DLC for Heavenly Bodies worth getting?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man it's bad enough that Ubisoft installs its lovely little launcher on my system just to play Anno 1800, but there's no option to make it auto-exit the launcher when I leave the game. gently caress this stupid company.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jagged Alliance 3 is on sale. Yeah or Nah?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you liked JA2, then absolutely yes

Never actually played any of the JA games but I love turn based tactics so I think I'll try it out. Thanks!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember downloading the demo for one of the Monster Hunter games on 3DS but the controls were uncomfortable so I barely played it. After discovering Dark Souls and enjoying it, and hearing someone at Giant Bomb dismissively call it "Training wheels for Monster Hunter," I thought maybe I'd enjoy it with a better controller (and not a 3DS), so I visited a friend's house and played his copy and...still didn't really get it. He was excited to show off his character, gear, and costume to someone though so I'm glad I gave him the opportunity. I understand that part of Monster Hunter perfectly.

Yeah the controls are definitely a bit of a learning curve. I think something that helped me was the realization that the monsters are playing with the exact same controls; long windups and long recovery times. There's also the aspect of spacing and distance. All weapons to some extent require preparation, positioning and patience to land blows. The final component is tells, or reading the monster attacks (which I guess is where the comparison to Dark Souls comes in). If you can put these all together you get somewhat slow, but thoughtful combat that is less about reactions and more about knowing your weapon and the monster you're hunting. Definitely worth an evening trying out different weapons to see what clicks for you (and sometimes even the monster you're hunting might click for you better than another one)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I really wish they had kept World's multiplayer system for Rise. It was funny struggling with a monster in singleplayer, firing an SOS flare, and almost instantly 3 high rank japanese players join the hunt and completely demolish the thing that was kicking your rear end. It's like getting stuck on a level and getting your older brother to help you out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

fit em all up in there posted:

Fanatical: Build your play on the go bundle - 3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/play-on-the-go-premium-edition-build-your-own-bundle

Any suggestions for a 3rd game? Getting Doom 2016 and Wallworld. Not really sure about the others.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone playing Exoprimal? How's the drop-in multiplayer compare to Monster Hunter World?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's called Midnight Suns and it's pretty good OP

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Isthereanydeal is getting absolutely hammered right now

How is Starship Troopers Extermination when playing with pubbies?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It got progressively worse IMO :( They added weird mutators that weren't very fun to play and instead of making more content like maps they've been focused on a 4-player game mode that came out to zero fanfare last month and that no one really stuck around for. I think those are the only major updates they've released in 5 months.

They also made it unplayable for new buyers. I get this when launching for the first time and even after verifying files, restarting steam, etc.

Googling 'Easy Anti-Cheat launch error' brings up forum posts about how it doesn't even stop cheaters, but seems pretty good at stopping paying customers from playing the game :thumbsup:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MarcusSA posted:

This spider man game is pretty good

Right up there with the Arkham series, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and X-men Origins:Wolverine as the best comic book videogames of all time IMO

One of the best things is how boss fights aren't lame pre-scripted QTE events but they actually utilize the game's existing combat systems

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's the best Assassin's Creed since Black Flag?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How's the DLC for Aliens: Fireteam Elite? Anything essential or really good for co-op?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I haven't played it since full release but from what I played in EA:
I wouldn't exactly put it next to Battle Brothers like people often do, they're fairly different. That's correct that it's not much of a sandbox and follows a narrative story, with some areas of the map locked off until you reach certain points in the story.

It's not as tactically deep as Battle Brothers either. Units scale a lot with level, to the point where it's very difficult to win fights with enemies that are even one level higher than you, and enemies that are one level below you become meaningless popcorn fights. This means even the way you progress through battles is fairly linear.

It does some pretty cool stuff for immersion and your ability to interact with the world beyond doing battles. Tradeskills that have active minigames attached and things like that.

It's entirely competent and people who are interested in that style of game will probably like it, but I was chasing another Battle Brothers and didn't care for it enough to try it again after 1.0.

This has more or less been my experience as well. Maybe I'm not far enough into Wartales to encounter different enemies yet, but a lot of the fights do start feeling very samey after a while. Most of your opponents are some flavor of human and occasionally animals (who you fight basically the exact same way)

Whereas in Battle Brothers you can fight bandits, the undead, Orcs, Goblins, Nachzehrer and they all fight differently and require different approaches from each other. For example you might come across a bunch of ranged goblins fortified on a hill with a bunch of ranged weapons and throwing nets. So you need your own ranged to shoot back or heavy armor/shields to get to them. Nachzehrer are these fast moving creatures that are deadly up close and can grow stronger when they feed on any corpse, so there's this fun tactical element where you want to keep them away from you as much as possible and yet may have to move up to 'claim' corpses so they don't get stronger.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RE: Skull and Bones talk. I really wish someone would just make the perfect successor to Sid Meier's Pirates that exists in my head. Give me a game that has SM's Pirates! Sandbox, Naval Action's... naval action (:v:), some kind of sensible first-and/or-third person on-foot stuff that actually lets me walk around my ship (the whole ship, not just the deck) as well as on land, a cool sword-fighting system, good character customization, pronouns (if only to piss jerks off), and hell, I wouldn't complain about a half-decently written swashbuckling story. Also, single ship focus. Its likely opposite to the typical power fantasy probably, but I don't want to eventually command a whole fleet of pirate ships. I just want work my way up from a a shitbox sloop to one really awesome, customizable pirate frigate or whatever. Captain Harlock but actually in the ocean. Freaky Magic poo poo optional.

Like Sea Dogs, but a heck of a lot better and without most of the East European Jank.

And don't make it a loving online-only PvPvE GAAS boondoggle that'll die in less than a year. Just give me a cool singleplayer game! :argh:

I can't believe how long we've been waiting for a game like this. Sid Meier's Pirates mixed with Black Flag with a little bit of Mount & Blade would be my ideal game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

No it's one of the wizards that goes to Middle Earth

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This might be the most underwhelming Steam Christmas sale ever. Most of my wishlist isn't even on sale.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jack Trades posted:

It takes up to an hour for the big sales to actually kick in as they propagate through the servers.
It's like it's your first big steam sale or something.

It's my first time being this early to one, so I guess I jumped the gun on it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Floodkiller posted:

Party Pack 3 is still probably the best pack overall if you are asking for one where every game in it is good. Quiplash is classic fun improv, Guesspionage and Trivia Murder Party are both great trivia games for trivia heads and casual players (in different ways), and Tee KO is the best drawing game that Jackbox has made in my opinion. Fakin' It can't be played well online, but if you are playing in person it is still a pretty decent deception game as well.

The others might have 1-2 games that are on par or better (or fit your family/friend group better), but the rest will be mediocre to bad. For example, Party Pack 6 has Trivia Murder Party 2 which is a better update of Trivia Murder Party 1 and Push The Button is an online working version of Fakin' It that also has more going on and is very fun, but Joke Boat sucks, Role Models is meh, and Dictionarium isn't really a game.

As someone who buys and plays the jackbox games every year, I support this post. We go back to Party pack 3 very frequently and it's games are probably the most friendly to casual players and viewers to jump in and out of.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Omi no Kami posted:

I aggressively dislike playing FPSes with other people (I'm not good at them and don't enjoy hearing the gamer word screamed every 3 seconds), but I used to have a ton of fun playing Battlefield with bots and cranking it up so there were 64-128 psychotic, idiotic AI running/shooting/flying/grenading everything in sight. Has there been anything in the last few years with a similar feel, or is the best way to recapture that vibe to just re-install an older battlefield?

There's no vehicles but you might like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1560250/Rising_Front/. It's a WWI battle simulator with ragdoll physics, procedural cover system and hundreds of troops on each side.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ultrafilter posted:

I wonder what proportion of Steam users have never played anything other than a AAA release. It's gotta be pretty high.

The real secret massive gaming demographic are people who play nothing but the latest FIFA/NHL/NFL/NBA game and maybe the occasional shooter.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rusty posted:

Are you guys having a lot of stuttering in midnight suns? I have an abnormal amount, to the point I'll just be exploring and it stutters and makes the character direction change, it's terrible. I never get it during combat or anything, mainly in cutscenes or just walking around the grounds. Good game though.

As mentioned, disable the 2k launcher
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/no-seriously-you-should-disable-the-2k-launcher-for-marvels-midnight-suns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Croccers posted:

I dropped off before Paradox put a different team onto it and pumped out DLC's so maybe they changed the overall vibe of the game but
At least before that you know you don't have to run a slave-labour death-camp prison in Prison Architect right? You could run a prison with a focus on classes for rehab. And the game didn't make it impossible for you to do it either.

The DLCs must be truly poo poo if that's the impression people have of PA now. I remember prisoner reform/release was a fairly early update to the early access after they had the base infrastructure features put in.