Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Foul Fowl posted:

i'd recommend playing through the games in order if you're interested in the franchise as a whole since they form a nice coherent skill curve from 1 to 2 to 3 to elden ring.

lol @ recommending playing 120+ hours of other games before playing the one that is best for a newcomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

then I feel like Sekiro could probably have just gone ahead and included an easy mode or whatever, since it seems like the game is making a point of actively punishing me for dying. This dragonrot stuff is kind of bullshit. I dunno, I like Dark Soul's difficulty because it needs to account for a huge amount of differently styles of play, but Sekiro, as far as I can tell is just katanas and parries, and there's no real reason to make the game harder and punish you more for dying if there's zero way to mitigate it. I could be wrong as I'm pretty early on, but christ.

There's an easy mode mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/sekiro/mods/355

My problem with Sekiro is that it's a 4 year old game that still retails for $59.99 ($29.99 with a DEEP DISCOUNT).

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Not really, the story doesn't really matter. You might also appreciate 2016 more if you go back to it after Eternal as it's a tighter experience.

Both games are good and worth playing.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not saying sekiro would lose something if it were easier i'm saying you're mad at devil may cry because it doesn't play like zelda because they both have swords

you're reaching elon fanboy levels of caping here. miyazaki san doesn't need you to defend his games from criticism

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I was hoping posters getting ultra-butthurt when their favourite game faces any sort of criticism would be something we'd leave in 2022, but lol

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

protip: you can use whatever cheatengine trainer or mods you want on a pc and you don't need anyone else's approval

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

was that a real thing??

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

where are all the thinkpieces about hypnospace outlaw dealing with its racist inspirations because stormfront was a website

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

use your ignore list, it makes for a much better experience

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I wish there were mods for Outer Wilds to remove the most video gamey parts (anglerfish and the timed sand puzzles). They were by far the weakest parts of the game and create a skill floor that's not necessary at all. Most of the gamers I know IRL mainly play strategy or adventure games and I know they'd find those sections far too frustrating to navigate.

Also, just emulate Twin Snakes! Should run perfectly.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I feel obligated to chime in about Forspoken as a Black Poster™, been thinking about it all day.

Whenever I read a review like the Polygon Review, it makes me wish that white people would just shut the gently caress up about race. All it reveals to me is that the reviewer thinks that black identity centers around dealing with racism and police brutality, which is a perception so shallow and clueless that it wraps around to being racist AF.

There is something to be said about how Forspoken includes race. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere Forspoken's writers are all white, and the 'diversity' stems from incorporating a black face into a white story. What I want (and I think what everyone would benefit from) are black characters written by black people, including on black culture(s), not black characters written by white people.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I watched one of those 'first 20 minutes' videos of Hifi Rush and I thought that the writing perfectly captures the feeling of a Saturday morning cartoon. Which is fine if it's not your bag but seeing goons who are probably in their... 30/40s? Get all worked up about how it doesn't land for them is sad and hilarious.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It's a shame PoE 2 fell so flat, especially compared to Owlcat's games which are so dedicated to replicating the worst parts of D&D- for the near future we're gonna be stuck with that nonsense.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

FWIW 13 Sentinels emulates pretty much perfectly, so if you're not averse to some grey-area :filez: you could buy a switch copy and play your 'backup' on PC.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Arc Hammer posted:

My brother wants to try some Warhammer 40K games and I suggested the 2011 Space Marine game. Can someone tell me why the only way to play a 10 year old game is to now spend $70 USD on the anniversary edition? The last time I glanced at Space Marine on the storefront it was about ten bucks. And all the extra cash is for cosmetic and multiplayer dlc for a game with dead servers.

It's been in a few bundles over the years, so your best bet might be to go to SA-mart and make a wanted thread. I'm sure someone's got it in their massive library.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Could you give a timestamp for the Skarrj discussion? I don't have the attention span to watch a one hour video and the stamps are based on the stages.

EDIT: Thanks, and for anyone who's curious, he does not go into it in any more depth than Propaganda Hour did above.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 10, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Marauders remind me of the Black Knights from Dark Souls. You need to outsmart them, not out-twitch or out-aim them. Once you figure them out they're real easy to bait.

The enemies that killed me most were Arachnotrons and Cyber Incubi, because I have terrible aim.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Has the new(ish) big picture mode update completely hosed playing non-steam games for anyone else?

Since the update whenever I try to launch a non-steam game, steam doesn't switch focus to the game window, and it sets my controller into desktop mode. So even if I grab my keyboard and manually alt-tab into the game window, the pop-up keyboard will randomly show up every time I press the left stick.

For similar reasons, now it's pretty much impossible to do in-home streaming with those games.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

explosivo posted:

The port is fine, definitely some performance issues/hitches but seems like it's a lot of complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls being unusable which, well.. :shrug:

Are these hitches exclusive to the full game? I played the demo and it ran really smoothly.

EDIT: I think the massive whining about M&K on the reviews are probably because all the controller players are smart enough to play it on gamepass instead of spending 60 70 bux for the steam release.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 3, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What Vampire Survivors-like games are there out there that don't require aiming? I'd like to play one that has better visual design, but the candidates (Spellbook Demonslayers, 20 Minutes Til Dawn) both play more like twin stick shooters.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

err posted:

if i liked elden ring would i like sekiro? i think i remember reading it relies on timed parries way more than the other games and i never parried in elden ring and found it hard to do.
Thing about Sekiro is that you have to be good at parrying. There is no way around it. Honestly there aren't any good comparisons (maybe Wo Long but I only played the demo). Even Metal Gear Rising is more relaxed when it comes to parrying. IIRC there are only two bosses that require it and it's quite forgiving with them, while with Sekiro you'll run into trash that you have to parry to get past.

Buy it and see how you feel in the two hour window. If it doesn't seem enjoyable by that point, refund it-- It's not like FromSoft or Activision are hurting for money.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 18, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-easter-bundle-2023
Build your own Easter bundle on Fanatical

1 for $1/5 for $2.99/10 for $4.99

Tangentially related, but I feel like every fanatical bundle is full of games I've never heard of, despite reading the steam thread daily for... Years. The only game I recognise from that bundle is TACOMA, which came out in 2017.

I don't know if that speaks to the overabundance of indie games, a decline in the quality of bundles, or that we're all collectively out of touch.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What was the final verdict on Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus? I've been having a poo poo time lately and I could do with a game that straight-up glorifies killing fascists. I enjoyed the new order/the old blood back when they came out, if that means anything.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

IMO, the obtuse mapping and fast travel systems in Hollow Knight only work because they nearly perfected every other part of the game. Aimlessly wandering in HK is it's own experience because of the tight controls, inspired art design, and incredible soundtrack.

I can easily see how the same systems in a less well designed game would sour the experience.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rookersh posted:

This is always such a weird thing for me.

Like FF14 forces you to pay monthly, and it takes a month of dailies to unlock one of the "free" mounts. So it's not free. It's paying $15 for the joy of doing lovely side missions for 30 days to get a $15 "earnable" mount. Almost all the mounts are gated in this way. RNG drops are scarce, and unless you dramatically outlevel the content it's going to take awhile to get RNG in your favor.

Yet that's hailed as such a customer facing move, wheras ESO gets railed at for selling them for like $7. It's all just weird psych bullshit.

Especially because why does it always come back down to mounts? Why do mounts loving matter so much. Why does cash shop poo poo matter so much to people. What's wrong with just the horse.

The type of people who obsess over mounts love he game so much that doing a month of dailies is fun.

Also, if you're completely broke brained (like I was) you can do 4 sets of dailies per day, so that's 4 mounts for 15bux if you consider your time to be worthless.

I guess the difference is that ESO is a mostly F2P model and follows that setup. Which can feel scummy because F2P is most profitable when it's designed to appeal to whales.

That said FFXIV has plenty of limited time and cash shop only mounts on top of the sub fee so. lol.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 4, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fruits of the sea posted:

When WoW was originally released, the first die-hard grinders to get epic mounts on a server would park themselves right by the city gates so 14-year olds could be awed by how cool they were. I think folks are nostalgic.

Does hardcore raiding still exist in modern WoW?

I feel kind of sad got them because the mounts they usually show off are a result of spending 10-20+ hours a week for multiple weeks for a cosmetic item that a year later anyone can get.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It's got some pretty goofy stuff but it's definitely less 'anime' than Advent Children. I'm not a big fan of the voice acting or the dialogue but he latter is better written than the original game's.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The gates have opened, the angels have blown their horns, we have a sign. Valve might be working on a new game or even an actual update for TF2.

https://twitter.com/johnpatricklowr/status/1661805037126033408?t=CVLBmmLjRxLA9ZfgkzgHCw&s=19

Team Fortress 3: Extraction

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Tangentially related I was listening to Triple Click today and Jason Schrier (from Bloomberg) was asked about why so many AAA games have been a huge mess. And of course he said Covid - but not in the way you'd think.

Put simply, a lot of AAA developers and publishers pushed back against remote work. This led to lots of key in talent leaving mid-project... Resulting in all the messes we've been seeing.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

exquisite tea posted:

Pushed back against their employees working remotely altogether, or just forcing them to come into the office to work?

He didn't go into that much detail. Just that the talent left because of the shift away/lack of remote working.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anyways, my partner has Zelda on switch. Is it easy to emulate on pc? I’m too old and lazy to bother with pirating poo poo anymore.

If you have a good CPU and a recent graphics card, you can run it at 30 fps. 60fps is aways off unless you've got something like a 13900k.

I can't/won't help with :filez: but PM me and I'd be happy to give you some information on setting it up.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 28, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm curious what FPSes people who disliked Titanfall 2 love. Is there something recent that you like better? In the past decade the only FPSes I've enjoyed are Titanfall 2, Doom 2016, and Doom Eternal-- and I'm open to trying other games with good single player campaigns, as long as they're not jingoistic/imperialist trash.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

victrix posted:

basically every boomer shooter of any quality, the AAA space is pretty meh in terms of raw gameplay imo

This makes a lot of sense to me. Boomer shooters aren't my thing (playing a first-person bullet hell is my version of well, hell), but if that's your ideal a game like Titanfall 2 would definitely disappoint.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm still waiting for my civil war game where I get to slaughter hordes of confederates (I will be waiting forever).

Though I would not want it to be historically accurate. A musket fps would be hard to pull off unless you're the groggiest of grogs.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Nothing like that. I want to slaughter them like the scum they are. Think Wolfenstein meets Django Unchained.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

So, Fire Emblem?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Taear posted:

It's very small c conservative, you'd have to play it to see

So, a JRPG?

There is so much of that type of poo poo in JRPGs that for whatever reason, most gamers miss. For example, I just finished 13 Sentinels for example, and got some... disturbingly nationalistic aspects to it that I haven't heard any critics mention, even those of the 'I had a social awakening in 2020' type.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Again, aside from the 'friend zone' references everything you've mentioned is also found in the kind of JRPGs and anime the devs were probably inspired by.

I will give you that they can seem more jarring when they're in Western media, because the connection to existing political and social movements is more obvious for many.

I am not calling you out specifically, but this kind of cognitive dissonance is really common amongst socially progressive/leftist weebs. Like people who have ACAB on their profile while having anime avatars from poo poo like Hetalia.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Edit: this is not my conversation to have

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 8, 2023