Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Begemot posted:

Yakuza 7 is great, but it's definitely designed more as "a Yakuza game with turn-based combat" than "a JRPG with a Yakuza theme", if that makes any sense. The combat is closer to Dragon Quest, so it's not as complex as P5.

It works fine as an entry point for the series though, has a new protagonist and everything. There are references to old games, but it's nothing critical.

The one thing I see people get tripped up on is job changing. It's very similar to Dragon Quest VII where only a few things cross over between jobs (stat boosts and a couple attacks per job) so it might not be immediately obvious why you would want to ever switch characters out of their base jobs. You can get away with doing pretty much whatever for the first 75 percent of the game but later on you'll definitely want some of the advanced abilities (and especially elemental attacks) from various jobs on your party members. You can level up jobs quicker later on so don't worry about it too much, just something to keep in mind.

Re: One Piece, I love OP but I kind of hate the post-timeskip character designs. Usopp and Nami got it the worst but I don't feel like any of them are really an upgrade, and they always look really weird to me in 3D.

:sigh: these characters used to be so cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Can we Clancy these superheroes up a little? Are tacti-capes a thing? I don't respect superpowered individuals unless they follow tier 1 operator rules.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

mystes posted:

As an American you should feel more dunked on by that email because the US doesn't even have passenger rail

Nah, Amtrak exists, but it's only really worth using on the coasts to get between big cities.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I haven't had any quality problems with my elite 2 but it's a bit bulkier than a regular xbox controller and I find it kind of uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. I got this 8BitDo pad for Christmas and it's perfect for me.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ah, my favorite genre of b-sports game: numbered like an annualized release but they only got to make one

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Role Playing Game and Adventure are honestly even more meaningless. Genre names peaked with First Person Shooter and Sports.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
This is maybe weirder than it was fifteen years ago since we're in a big wave of gov't conspiracy theories but the moment Deus Ex: HR basically clicked for me was taking the secret elevator to the underground FEMA prison. I was enjoying it from the start more or less but that's when I was like "oh poo poo they made a new Deus Ex." Low key I think maybe that's the real reason the story from the new one didn't click for me. When the cabal is just puppetmastering fake spy agencies and "terrorist" groups, it's pretty ho-hum by Deus Ex standards.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Rinkles posted:

Cross posting; official PC sales figures from Sony

TLOU1 was a technical shitshow, but I honestly thought Spider-Man would have sold more by now

That feels about right to me. A lot of people already played it on PS4 or PS5, and they launched it at full price. I bet that's still pretty good. Last of Us Sales seem real bad though considering how hot the property was from the show when it launched. I guess if they keep fixing it up they can do a big sale when season 2 rolls around or something.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They should make an actual open world walking simulator LOTR game. Actually I'm surprised they haven't made a multiplayer survival game or something out of it. Scrounge for potatoes and stealth around ringwraiths or whatever.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Things only 90s pc gamers can appreciate:

• Having to run back-to-back installers and put in new CD keys for each disk to install games with multiple expansions
• Manually downloading and installing patches from random websites, assuming you know they're available and have an internet hookup
• Getting flagged by devs' homemade DRM solutions on retail disks
• "Please insert disk 6 to continue"

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Bumhead posted:

Yeah, I specifically named the immersive sim genre just piggybacking off the System Shock example and because it's a genre where bad boss fights usually stand out more aggressively compared to the previous hours of gameplay.

To be honest I think most end game boss fights are bad irrespective of genre.

JRPG last bosses tend to be pretty good. They can go on forever but usually there's no puzzle gimmick and they ramp up the aesthetics to ridiculous levels.

Half Life 2 remains the GOAT on how to end a game. Just give you a huge upgrade for one of your primary mechanics and let you go to town.

Fighting games probably have the worst last bosses. Usually fighting game AI is dogshit to begin with so when they try to make the last fight hard the best they can get to is "annoying as hell".

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The 7th Guest posted:

F1 Manager 2023?? (July 31st) is this anything? do.. do people care about this one? Get in there Lewis, etc...

Last year's game was promising but leagues behind the already old Motorsport Manager. Annual release schedule is a bad sign for their future improvement -- how much can they realistically change about the game in just 11 months ('22 launched August 30)?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

exquisite tea posted:

The developers don't see that as a problem because they all come from WoW and have applied the same philosophy to D4. You taking a million years to reach a checkpoint on your mount and kill a world boss that gives 0.025 of an exp bar and 1 legendary after 10 minutes isn't boring, it's 100% their vision of super cool and interactive gameplay.

That kind of design is probably inevitable when you're making a game with the expectation that people are going to play it continuously like it was a second job starting on release. Blizzard fans are the worst, but Blizzard brought it on themselves by making all of their games into addictive time sinks to begin with. The whole ecosystem is poison.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlestheHammer posted:

The X men would move units and DLC but they won’t even try

Midnight Suns had half the avengers in it but it still might have had more storefront appeal / name recognition if it was just an X-Men game. It basically was an X-Men game vibes-wise. If you took out the free roaming part and added X-Com-style Xavier School management between missions it would have been perfect.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Phlegmish posted:

Rogue Trader 30% off...hmm. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is an incredible game, but I don't care for 40K as a setting. Borderline case.

RT is very 40K, so that's a bit of a tough sell, but it has all of the CRPG and story ambition of WotR, so you might still dig it depending on what you don't like about 40K. There isn't a ton of space marine stuff for example. The game system is a lot more straightforward than Pathfinder.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I replayed all the Fallout games a few months ago and New Vegas is the only good one.

1 & 2 are slow, clunky RPGs with boring quests and flat characters. Vault City -> Gecko is the only interesting part of either of them. People remember that and New Reno but not all the crappy little towns and cross-map fetch quests in-between. 2 also has multiple quest failures that can end with the PC getting raped.
3 has a ridiculous setting and characters (but not in a funny way). Bethesda is obsessed with cramming a generic AAA story into these games. The gameplay is ok. It's Oblivion with guns.
4 has the best companion characters in a Bethesda game, but the main story is still underwhelming and the side content has all been boiled down to completing generic dungeons that refill periodically with enemies.

NV also isn't perfect but it has a great setting and scratches that Bethesda Fallout itch (AKA Oblivion with guns) at least as well as 3 or 4.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ultimately I think actual survival RPGs like Caves of Qud, NEO Scavenger, and Cataclysm DDA scratch the "Fallout" itch for me better than the original games these days. Fallout is basically a traditional RPG with a survival/simulation vibe but no mechanics, but in 2024 the real thing has never been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The problem is CA's going to spend four years working on Total War: Middle Earth or Battletech or whatever and it's going to come out and get played for like two weeks before people go back to the old game with a million factions and unique units and mechanics added over a bunch of time. TW:Warhammer 1 didn't have those huge expectations to live up to so it didn't matter that it launched with five factions and like ten lords.