Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Steam thread is dead. Long live the Steam thread.

For the Jaws of the Lion DLC for Gloomhaven, when is that meant to be played? I know that the tabletop version was meant to be more a streamlined introduction campaign to the megalith that is Gloomhaven proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Azran posted:

To add to this, you can jump in and out of JotL whenever you want. Like do two JotL missions, then one base campaign one, then two more JotL ones, etc. JotL missions don't count for retirement because the intention is that you finish it with the same core group of characters, also ensuring you unlock the four spotlight scenarios for the JotL classes if you play the campaign as those.

Also the JotL campaign has one of the hardest missions ever made for a Gloomhaven product so uh, be warned lol

Are progress and item unlocks completely separate or should I make a different campaign run for main and JotL? Sorry I hope that makes sense.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Azran posted:

Nah they're shared, it's just that JotL missions rarely reward Prosperity (since that wasn't A Thing in JotL) so you won't be unlocking new items in the shop doing those missions (you will however get the treasure chest items, of course). It's literally just more missions but exclusively set in the city, basically.

Okay, one of the posts made it sound like it breaks the balance of the main campaign. Sounds like if I keep characters and items separate between them I should be good. Then again I am likely thinking too much about this. Thanks!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of MW5, I got the Jumpship bundle from fanatical here (If anyone is interested. It is a real good deal compared to what it costs to get the game plus expansions even on the winter sale). I played a few missions of the campaign to get a feel for it and I think I like it. My question is that does it dovetail into Career mode like Battletech does?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

The campaign has parts which resemble the Career mode from the Inner Sphere DLC, they didn’t create it from scratch, but it directs you to certain areas and has a definitive end. Some of the more extensive mods don’t play as nice with the open-ended-ish parts of the campaign either.

So basically it sounds like once I feel I have a handle on things in campaign, and/or if I get sick of it, to just switch over to Career.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 3, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wonder what is being talked about in the Steam thread today?

Oh, its a souls game derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-wmOYelnM

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For those who took this month's Humble Monthly and if they chose Olliolli World: Does that come in one key, or does it have two keys, one for the base game and another for the expansion pass? I just realized I would have liked to get the expansion pass during the sale but I missed out on it, and I still have my Humble Monthly sub going so I figured to take advantage of that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

fit em all up in there posted:

Think it was one key

Well shoot. I was hoping to give away the other key. I think I can probably still get the expansion pass from that one key but I probably will not get a giftable copy of the game.

EDIT: So, who wants Doom Eternal? :v:

code:
622LQ-EWJV6-33Q7Q
EDIT2: Claimed!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 6, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

OgNar posted:

Holy poo poo.
2 hours later and this key was still there.
Thanks

Well, I just edited the post 10 minutes ago with the key rather than make a new post :v:

EDIT: Beaten

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I see that Scott Pilgrim is out on PC and on sale for $5.

Nice try Ubisoft. I am not buying your terrible brawler again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

what is it that supposedly sucks about LAD's mahjongg anyway

mahjongg is fun (admittedly i only know riichi, but)

The only thing I can think of is that I don't think Yakuza mahjongg has a recommended tile assist, but other than that it is pretty good, in that you can bring up the rules and a list of winning hands at any time.

I think the real reason why mahjongg has a bad rap in Yakuza, AND I AM SAYING THIS AS SOMEONE WHO LIKES MAHJONGG AND BASICALLY BRUTE FORCED MY WAY INTO LEARNING IT VIA THE YAKUZA GAMES, is that riichi mahjongg itself is a mess of not easily understood, often contradictory rules.

That said, my advice to anyone who wants to learn mahjongg is to never, ever meld (call chi or pon) unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 17, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kanfy posted:

I'm a little curious which mahjong rules you find contradictory, some of the point calculation stuff can be kinda arcane but it's not super relevant unless you're digging real deep into it. I did also learn mahjong from Yakuza, and ended up liking it enough that I played a whole bunch of it online afterwards. It's fun! Bullshit at times just like most games of that nature, but fun!

Maybe contradictory is putting it harshly, but it has to do with what is considered a winning hand, particularly if your hand is open which reduces what you can actually win with to a specific subsubset of hands. Which is the main reason why I consider melding to be a trap unless you explicitly know what hand you want to go for or you already have it (like a triplet of a dragon, seat wind, or round wind)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be real seeing the Forspoken developers immediately throw their demo under the bus at the first sign of people being critical of it does not give me hope in the final product.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

What’s the deal with forespoken? Was that the one a while back where they had marvel-esque “well….that just happened” writing? Or was that something else?

Yup

https://kotaku.com/forspoken-square-enix-trailer-bad-roasted-ps5-xbox-1849398320

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

GMG does similar amounts for unreleased pc games all the time, I got deathloop, death stranding, monster hunter rise, a destiny expansion from them all for about 18% off. I think elden ring was the least discount at 12% off.

I remember getting Borderlands 2 at launch for almost half off at release. I mean, they toned it down, and most of their deals are behind their VIP program but GMG has ridiculously good deals.

Holy poo poo this is adorable.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

1) lmao

2) reminds me of this
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1563127781604872193

Is "repeat the same line over and over" the hot new thing in AAA gaming?

I would argue that the Forespoken clip is worse because at least the High on Life clip is an in-gameplay thing you can easily walk away from, from what I could tell. That Forespoken clip was literally a cutscene that they make you watch (Putting aside if cutscenes are skipable).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally, I would find it a bit more cute, if still cringe but at least nomoreso than usual, if it were just some gameplay banter while you are doing the tutorial and if it was half as long.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 23, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

1upmuffin posted:

The Steamworld Build demo is fun, just came out today (the demo, game comes out later). It's a city builder where you switch between city and underground view, and both have different gameplay loops but feed into one another, smartly done, recommend giving it a go.

I loved the demo but my worry is that it says it will have 5 maps, which doesn't sound like much, but I am hoping that these maps will be substantial with multiple mine layers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Anno posted:

New Mimimi game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545560/Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew

Seems to be sticking to the Shadow Tactics/Desperados genre, but now fantasy pirate stuff.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykuAlQlSIw

Can't wait to crouch walk everywhere as a voodoo zombie pirate.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Estel posted:

Technically Darktide had a better launch than Vermintide 2. Vermintide 2 had a lot more bugs and problems at launch than Darktide but it had more content.

Daktide it's fun but most people that know of Fatshark and their other games knew what was coming. And people bought the game because it's a fun game that will be improved with time, like Vermintide 1 and Vermintide2.

It is extremely fun, but it is hard to say that it is objectively good, in the state it is right now. Someday it might be built up into a good game. Maybe even a great one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Phantom Brigade seems cool but holy poo poo does the demo run like an absolute rear end.

I liked what I played of it to, but I am begging developers, PLEASE let us set graphics options before launching into your cold open tutorial.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mescal posted:

code vein $9 or nioh 2 $30?

edit: looks like Nadir is out of EA today? sale on that too

Code Vein has a demo that you could check out. Personally, I bounced off it hard; the movement and attacking did not feel good at all.

Nioh 2 is really good

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe it needs to be installed on an SSD?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Even ignoring the gendered issues, having your character wear plate armor designed in a way that redirects potential weapon attacks directly into the solar plexus just demonstrates the designer's ineptitude.

I hope somebody got fired for that blunder!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I like friendship building in games because no one will be my friend in real life. :sigh:

In all seriousness, Midnight Suns is a fine game. I mean, if it sounds annoying to you, then I would not recommend it but I think it is a great game if you are willing to engage with it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got Aces and Adventures and it seems very good but it also makes me angry that we will never get another Sword And Poker game ever again. :argh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Picayune posted:

I'm enjoying the remake so far! I'm only like three hours in (and the movement and interaction as as clunky and lunging as ever) but once I got over the initial frustration, I settled in for good times. It's the same engine and gameplay style that they used in Chapter One. I'm hoping they'll leave out the combat.

One thing, though: there's a 'How To Play' section in the save menu. The player needs to read this. There aren't really any in-game tutorials and the tooltips that pop up only explain about half the process.

I only played Crime and Punishments. I left off at the end of the 3rd case but how similar to that is this? I mainly liked that it made you do try to figure out the mystery by combining facts and even threw in some Red Herrings to keep you on your feet.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally decided to try out Brutal mode in Shadow of War.

So far from what I played, having things not take a billion hits to kill makes the game feel so much better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I had Desktop Dungeons Rewind appear after restarting, so maybe that would help.

In any case, while I am not crazy about how the 3D graphics looks over the old 2D stuff, its Desktop Dungeons and a perfect excuse to revisit it.

EDIT: I should mention I had it for years and did not get it just now due to the free thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I should mention that on the title screen of Desktop Dungeons Rewind there was a very scary sounding whining noise I don't usually hear from my computer happening and it only stopped after I enabled VSync, probably due to that frame limit issue some games have that was talked about a couple of pages ago.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/voicesbyzane/status/1648747246853185545?s=46&t=-3btIhdWFD5M3u9M3Xo4WQ

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ah, Cult of the Lamb is on sale apparently. I liked the demo way back when but did not get it at launch for whatever reason. Don't know if this new update fixes the issues I have heard about but now is as good a time as any to play it and it should be a good time at bare minimum.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried Shadow of Doubt last night and honestly I am not sure if I am sold. More specifically, there are status effects in the game and I find that to be annoying; while I was crawling in the air ducts trying to escape a building I had my character start getting cold, which manifests in you starting to shake. Then later I learn that there is thirst and hunger to keep track of, apparently? It just felt like too much bullshit at the time. Granted, I hear that you can turn those settings off, but I already made my return by then.

Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind and I may give it another try at some point, but...i dunno how to put it, I just did not vibe with the game

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 26, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

To gently steer the conversation into more pleasant waters... Wasn't there supposed to be a DLC for The Case of the Golden Idol out today?

Unfortunately no, but the good news is that it is actually next week.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/excellent-detective-game-the-case-of-the-golden-idol-is-getting-three-prequel-dlc-cases-next-week

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

Ah, thanks for the info. I played the vanilla game about a month ago and ended up plowing through it in an evening.

Something to look forward to, then.

Game is as good as it is short.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to play Pentiment more (Still in the first chapter) but I think I came across a bug where the character glossary was spoiling a future character and I haven't been able to work up the nerve to play since :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

The character glossary is largely irrelevant, just don't look at it if you're worried

Perhaps, but that bugged character description also alluded to another character dying

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I finally got I Was A Teenage Exocolonist after being interested in it for a while and it is really good! However, and this is a really petty gripe, but I hate that responses are in all caps. I have a brain worm that makes me read all caps dialog :byodood: LIKE SOMEONE IS SHOUTING CONSTANTLY :byodood:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah Molyneux definitively does lie although it took John Walker torpedoing his career to finally drive the point home :v:

John Walker was from RPS back in the day, right? What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Late to the party on this, but as terrible as it is, I hate that I am glad that it at least doesn't blame minorities and LGBTQ folks