Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Nope, I got really lucky and found four at my local shop, snagged the last copies of another few on Amazon at cover price or very close to it, then picked up The Ethiopian and The Celts for semi-reasonable prices on ebay, but the remaining ones are all absurdly expensive in any format, it seems, like 3-4x the cover price which is just too much for my blood

Similarly my most lusted after item, the second Nemesis the Warlock collection, only has one copy online for a whopping $180 when it’s $20 on the 2000ad store (when available). I got the three books it collects in 80s Titan prints TPBs for $25-$40 each and they’re on the way now, but I’m pretty sure they’re missing a few of the extra progs the collection has

The microscopic print runs for everything are not a serious problem. You're either plugged in and getting things when they come out or they're just gone forever. At least something like Nemesis will be reprinted someday; it's too significant not to get another reprint. It's just that day may be 10 years off... A lot of other things will just never be available again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just read the "Alicia Masters is a SKRULL! And she's PRREGANTE! issues of FF from back in the day and... man do they suck. I don't remember early 1990s Marvel being so dour but I guess it mostly was.

The DeFalco run was not good. But after it you have Heroes Reborn which has good art since it's Jim Lee and a crappy story. Then first couple of issues of the relaunch which might as well not count and then Chris Claremont takes over. So you've got some real treats in store. Like Halloween candy with razor blades in them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Doesn't Heroes Reborn have some incredibly infamously bad art? Like Captain America and his weird bulgey chest bad art? I seem to remember another artist who's name starts with L being more well known for Heroes Reborn than Lee.

Everyone is enjoying the Cap stuff, but Heroes Reborn was four different ongoing rebooted series that wound up lasting a year. They were definitely intended to be the new ongoing status quo when they started but that plan changed. It was Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Captain America, and Avengers and the most readable of those (a very low bar) was FF.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

They actually all made it 13 issues! I believe this also involved firing Lee and/or Liefeld and getting other creators on the books.

Linfield got bumped at issue 4. Lee lasted until 6

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Also, do they actually "own the trademark for the Daredevil name"? It's a generic phrase (not that I'd imagine that matters as a rule in the US).
ee: Checked the trademark registry and yes, they do. (I forgot there's actual useful websites on the https://www.)

It's not a US thing, common words are trademarked in specific contexts everywhere. Apple is an easy example because there are two different companies called that coming from two different countries and they've fought over the trademark in the past.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, that version of The Incal is kind of infamous for that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act, bad news. I just found a copy of The Golden House of Samakand on a shelf for cover. I actually check the thread to know which book you were missing so I could offer it for cover plus shipping, but they only have that, The Ethiopian and In Siberia.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think this leaves Sergio Aragones as the last of the classic MAD crew. He wins the tontine and gets to keep The Lighter Side Of...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

If you ever have a complaint about Marvel or DC's oline comics setup, just remember that it's not this.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1656155384531374080?s=20

Publisher: "Why do people keep pirating our stuff? :qq:"

Also Publisher: "Let's combine all of the most abusive, user hostile practices into one monstrous whole."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

Getting the latest audiocomics on vinyl

Finally, time for a Nexus revival!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah RIP.

Anyway how the hell did I not know there was a "Married With Children" comic book?

IIRC, it essentially published by Now in the US.

Something about Romita people might not realize is that he was in charge of art at Marvel for a long time. That meant he was involved with a lot of the incidental things that were used in marketing and the like. Plus he was responsible for nurturing a lot of talent. He did a lot more than draw Spider-Man.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyone read DP7? I’m going through my comics and putting together stuff for an auction, and I had this on the block. But I noticed it’s a complete series by Gruenwald, so looking for thoughts. I’m going to read at least the first few issues, but always interested in opinions from BSS people.

It's the best of the New Universe series, basically their take on X-Men. It's decent comics but if you never read it then you're not really missing out.

If you are reading, at least read to #12. That ends the first arc and reaches the reorganization that the New Universe underwent that basically sent everything off the rails. The survivor NU series (DP7, Psi Force, Star Brand, and Justice) basically go, "gently caress it!" and everything goes into the crapper thanks to people with super powers being out in the open. It actually makes for an interesting read. Also, they decided to give some weirdos who kept asking to write comics a chance because the NU was already dead and how badly can that guy from marketing gently caress it up? And if he turns out well, they can give him work on another dead book like the Hulk...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Bone is excellent. Think classic Disney cartoons mixed with Lord of the Rings. At it's heart it's a kids story but there is a lot adults will like. There isn't really any cynicism but just great storytelling and a lot of heart. Think The Hobbit but with cute cartoon characters

The biggest problem with Bone is there's this sudden shift in the middle where suddenly the threats and situation change to things that everyone knows about but have never come up before. It feels like there's a half dozen issues missing. It's not bad, it just doesn't really recover the momentum from that stumble until the very end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Jeff Smith announced a collection of the pre-comic book Bone comic strips.

https://twitter.com/jeffsmithsbone/status/1681305288421539844

I feel like this is completely inessential and I'm going to buy it anyway.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The newsstand edition would have a UPC code in the little box in the lower left, and the direct market edition would have something else (Marvel liked to put a little picture of Spider-Man). That's about it.

I'm pretty sure Miracleman wasn't sold on newsstands.

Yeah, I don't think Eclipse had any kind of newstand distribution and even if they did, Miracleman was explicitly part of a special direct market deal where they were trying to bring the prices on them down to something close to newstand comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unironically, the Hulk is comic book visual design distilled down to its purest form. Ragged purple pants might not be much of a costume, but it visually pops in a way that a lot of busier concepts don't.

Ghost Rider has one focused element, but it's a great one. Having the rest of the costume being a simple motorcycle jacket and pants works in the character's favor. Even in the 90s incarnation where the jacket was busier, it didn't look wildly out of place.

I always liked the Jim Lee designed Storm outfit. I find that the X-Men generally have pretty bad costumes (see Gambit), but that version of Storm looks really sharp.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

The original Alan Moore Swamp Thing collection is on sale, I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about that over the years but never read any Swamp Thing stories. I usually don’t like superheroes and have been ambivalent about some of Moore’s work but enjoyed his contributions to American Flagg and enjoyed V for Vendetta well enough fifteen years ago when I was a teenager. What do people itt think of it

Absolutely worth it. While Swamp Thing exists in a universe with superheroes, it's not a superhero comic. It's a horror book first and foremost. Superheroes do pop up, but they tend to be ineffective or loose references. Moore's Swamp Thing is a bit of a Rosetta Stone for the shift in comics in the 80s as bits and pieces of it spread everywhere.

The only thing you need to know going in is that a scientist working on a super plant formula got blown up, dumped into a swamp, and emerged as a plant monster.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Everyone ITT was correct Swamp Thing is incredibly good, I'm really enjoying it. Doesn't feel like superhero stuff at all even though [spoiler] Woodrue is pretty much a supervillain, just one who is depicted in a very compelling way

Woodrue is a supervillain from the early days of comics. I don't think Moore ever uses his really weird villain name, though.

That's what I was referring to with oblique references. You don't need to know that Etragan is a guy who says a poem to turn into a monster and fight witch boys, Moore reinvents a lot of the obscure characters he uses essentially from the ground up so those superhero backgrounds don't matter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

So fun fact, the demon that Etrigan fights in Swamp Thing was actually from Jack Kirby's original Etrigan comic.

And while rhyming became his defining trait, he didn't do the doggerel speech until Moore did it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I’ll stop cluttering things up bynarrating my reading experience itt now that I’ve encountered and been confused by the presence of John Constantine and his punk girlfriend who seems traumatized by something I also haven’t read, but I’m glad I finally got something not published by humanoids/2000ad/a Corto Maltese book and found it to be a lot of fun and an impressive work in all the ways I care about

Don't stop, it's cool to hear from someone enjoying a classic that we're familiar with. And yes, Constantine showing up and being an enormous cryptic rear end in a top hat before he gets everyone involved killed is kind of his thing. It carries over to his series, Hellblazer, which is pretty good for almost the entire several hundred issue run.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Word thanks, I might read hellblazer at some point since I rather like the character but probably won’t read past the box set. As much as I like swamp thing it presents the same issue I always have with long running franchises like that, it’s just too extensive

This experience actually made me want to look into reading some X Men, since I was born in 1990 and grew up on the comics/toys/show/beachwear reading cards but haven’t tried to engage with it at all in like 20 years beyond a few episodes of the show which held up well enough for what they are. I just couldn’t figure out where to even try to begin, every google search yields a hundred different articles explaining how to start one storyline in one place, proceed to another with an entirely different name for x issues, then onto a third, etc. I wish it was a bit more straightforward in general and I reckon that’s part of why 99% of my books are Rebellion/Humanoids/a discrete collection encompassing all of something like the Dark Horse aliens/manga

X-Men is a trainwreck, especially from the 90s on. Once they became Marvel's cash cow they milked it harder than than an ultra deluxe milking machine. There is no good entry path to X-Men because it's one giant ball of self-referential festering goo. The "best" option is to jump back to 1974 and start working your way forward because it really is that bad. I also have the impression that you wouldn't enjoy it.

There are some blocks of X-Men or corners of their universe that are more accessible because they try to jettison a lot of the baggage but there's so much of it and so much that is considered sacred that even there someone with little to no background will be left going, "What?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

This could be a getting older thing, but do modern superhero comics feel incredibly disjointed?

I only read a couple, and I know sometimes the disjointedness is due to multibook crossovers, but increasingly, it feels like there's a lot happening in between issues of fairly self-contained runs.

Kind of. I think a lot of that is everything is now written for the trade. So while there's tight arcs for six issues, there are breaks where things jump around. With constant reboots and relaunches, just knowing a character's status quo is harder than it should be.

This isn't all bad; I'd rather a writer have free reign to tell a new story that they can find in a character that has been around for over fifty years. But it does make it difficult to try to holdnit together into one coherent whole.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wow, this one hits hard.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, reflecting on it some more, it's the first one that really hits me as someone from my era of reading stuff. I know there have been some terrible losses the last few years but they were all either before my time or (outside of the odd random issue) worked on books I never actually read back in the day. But J.M and Keith's JLI means as much to me as Claremont's X-Men/New Mutants, or the Simonsons' X-Factor, and the thought of anything happening to any of those folks is crushing.

There's also how it was out of the blue. We knew George Perez was dying so when he passed it was time to celebrate his life because the mourning had been done.

Giffen was always the guy that the people who were really deep into comics knew and loved. Not a superstar with flashy splash pages that got a lot of attention, but a genuine comic artist who understood panel flow and storytelling and acting with his characters on a level that few could match. Giffen was distinctive and that makes the loss of him hit even harder.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 12, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nice of the lovely people to quarantine themselves like this where they can be ignored.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jeff Smith has a kickstarter up to reprint the Thorn college strips that were basically the prototype of Bone:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartoonbooks/thorn-the-complete-proto-bone-college-strips-1982-1986

I'm trying to decide if I want the hard cover when I know the quality is going to be rough...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My favorite part of From Hell is the afterword, "Dance of the gull catchers" where Alan Moore talks about why he wrote the comic as well as the history of Ripperology.

It's probably the best essay on Jack the Ripper ever written. From Hell is obviously great and unlikely to be beat as the best Ripper fiction every written (not to mention visually presented), but Dance stands even taller than it because the it carries more weight and meaning. From Hell can get bogged down in Moore's mysticism (sorry Alan, it's not impressive that five points can make a pentagram since that's true of any five points that are not on a line) even as it tries to integrate everything into a cohesive story, even the contradictoey parts. Dance is a lot more sober and realostoc and self-reflective.

You can't have Dance of the Gull Catchers without From Hell, but I think it stands apart.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

I know nothing about these books, but apparently Vampirella had some very talented writers in the early days. Kurt Busiek, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, James Robinson.
Comics are a tough business to get started in, and I'm sure smut comics pay well and offer creative freedom as long as you are also extremely horney.
I wouldn't go looking for continuity or a grand artistic vision tho

Every couple of years there's a push to try to make Vampirella a serious comic. The rare times I've peaked in on those it's never been worth it.

Horny comics can be fun but it's really hard to do horny in a way that isn't just pathetic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

UwUnabomber posted:

Whats a cool Aquaman story?

Peter David's run in the 90s is one of the better attempts to rework the character once you're past the "Let's 90s this place up!" first few issues.

Jim Apari had a pretty good run on the character in the late 60s that was more forward looking than you might expect.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Medullah posted:

Guys seems like a solid deal, should I go for it?

That's 1500 copies, right?

Still not worth it, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you don't have Marvel Unlimited, you can get a full year of it right now for $50 with a discount code "HOLIDAY50". I let my subscription lapse a while back and was renewing it when I saw this, so it's not solely for brand new accounts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

it didn't "get to the point" it started at that point, it was always art and "story" by Liefeld, script by Fabian Nicieza

by Deadpool's 4th appearance Liefeld wasn't even drawing the book anymore, he just had a vestigial story credit while he was off founding Image

Yeah that was peak "artists without storytelling chops just drawing whatever, then the scripter needing to assemble something out of the mess" era. I feel like a lot of the hot artists of the late 80s and early 90s grew up with stories of the Marvel method being drilled into them and not understanding that it worked because guys like Kirby knew how to structure a story and give it the flow it needed, Lee was an absolutely amazing editor, and the collaborative process was an actual collaboration instead of someone loving off to do their own thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like this can be the sad news thread too often.

Ramona Fradon passed away today. I don't know if there's any golden age artists left with her passing...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well you can't judge an artist by his works but he certainly did good for dang decades without malice.

Counterpoint: Sergio Aragones killed Marty Feldman. And he admits it, too.

https://thehefner.dreamwidth.org/321888.html

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's one of the most iconic pages in comic book history, so it's not a surprise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The QAA podcast recently did an episode about Frederic Wertham and how a 2012 study discovered that Wertham "manipulated, overstated, compromised and fabricated evidence" by doing stuff like editing or even making up quotes.

A psychiatrist faking research data to give them the predermined outcome they want which also happens to be sensationalist and sells copies of their book? Why such a thing is unheard of, and definitely not what the vast majority of the field is built on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw man, Mark (MD) Bright has died. He was basically *the* Iron Man artist to me, I loved his stuff.

He was great and I feel like he never got the attention he deserved. He had such a fluid sense of motion...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirby is weird as a writer because his big concepts are fantastic and resonate, and sometimes when he hits the poetic he smashes it out of the park. And the other times it's just awkward and weird because it's a nearly 70 year old guy trying to write hip teenagers.

One thing I appreciate in both Lee and Kirby is that they kept improving throughout the sixties. They had both been in comics from pretty much the beginning and suddenly they realized they needed to rethink their approach and you could see the improvements month by month. Unfortunately when you hit the seventies they both kind of crystalize while the new generation comes in and they just can't keep up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Stan seemed pretty hands off with FF and Thor as time went on. Thor got real weird near the end, and it was a lot better than when they tried to make him do standard super hero fare. Donald Blake doesn’t even really factor into the book while Thor is spending all his time either on Asgard or in space.

There's like two years where Don Blake doesn't appear just because there's no room in the stories for him. When Buscema takes over after Kirby on Thor, there's some dramatic tone shifts, too. Kirby's Thor is constantly stoic and heroic while Buscema's is freaking out all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

While I was looking at comics on Kickstarter I saw they also have a campaign going for an anthology of dinosaur vore comics.

It has already surpassed its goal.

The art actually looked pretty good.

I have questions. I do not want the answers to them, though.