Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I got back into collecting physical comics again this year after being digital only for years. I've got the Marvel and DC apps, but picking up a bunch of indies at random and liking them all has got me into hunting runs and issues I like, have some kind of meaning to me (40 years of comics and some get sentimental) or hell, I like the covers and want to frame them in my office. I'm collecting for pure fun.

I think my favorite book at the moment is Love Everlasting. King's pretty good at relationship stories imo, and he can't just "Cat" "Bat" over and over here. Great art too. I've also really really enjoyed the new IDW Star Trek series that's essentially a DS9 sequel. Rereading the Darwyn Cooke Parker books right now too. Just good poo poo everywhere lately.

I've got stacks of stuff I picked up after Thanksgiving I haven't made it through yet. (Taking a chance on Gun Honey because I love noir, but God those covers are horny as hell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I have a Kindle Fire with Google Play side loaded onto it so I can use MU. They're almost disposable cheap and have good screens.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I had a ROM action figure and a stack of the comics as a kid. I'll be the sucker who buys the $100 ROM book.

Weak snipe. Bring back the Dire Wraiths.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I had to put my collection in storage while we move, and I used a rolled mousepad to fill in the gap. Like others above said, I recommend bagging and boarding but there's no real wrong way as long as it's dry and not being crushed. I have several long boxes of comics that are just in the boxes with no bags and boards and they're fine, but they also are books I want, but wouldn't lose sleep over them being damaged.

I've seen some really cool file drawer style storage setups too. When I get settled, I'd like to make a 3x3 rolling box type cabinet with either baskets or rolling drawers.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I wanted some X-Ray glasses so drat bad. Even then I knew GRIT was a scam though.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I haven't been able to attend a con since before the pandemic started. I'm immunocompromised and I thought I'd be able to attend the NOLA con coming up in a week or so if I skipped my chemo one week and stayed masked, but my body got wind of that plan and made me really sick again so I won't be good in time for it either.

I'm sure there are some others on here who for whatever reason can't physically attend a con. Does anyone run an online convention with similar offerings as physical attendees? Like I want to commission art, but I may not know about the artist until I'm there. I have lots of stuff I've bought before I got sick by artists that are there just grinding and networking, but aren't "names". I'm not really a take a picture with a celebrity guy, but I'd like to maybe listen to their talk. I want to be able to buy the con exclusives. I want to see the things set up by groups like the 501st, or even a cool promo area for something. Hell if they could have vendors and out of town shops put their inventory online and I can buy stuff and have it shipped that would be great.

I assume it's just too much work and bandwidth just being too slow at most sites?

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

Heh, I'm rereading Planetary right now (Elijah sure is a jerk to people "below" him, huh). Authority and Wildcats by Joe Casey seem to be talked about as a "trilogy" of series coming out around the same time. I've never read Wildcats, but it's on my list now that I have the DC app.

Quick look at my shelf, Casanova jumped out as something that hits me the same way, though I can't say why. Crazy science stuff going on?

Have you checked out Remender's Black Science?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Science_(comics)

I forget if it was mentioned in this thread but Hickman's Manhattan Projects is a good psycho science book too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The...iction%20ideas.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

You can really tell with a lot of books of that era that Bush Jr was president and that America had gone crazy after 9/11. I feel like Marvel leaned into that anger and bloodlust vibe of the time more than most other comic companies. A doesn't stand for France is one of the stupidest, ignorant of history rear end lines of that era. Civil War ended with the government winning. It was a bad scene and I'm glad it's much less common outside of CG nonsense these days.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Freedom Fries.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

The black Spider-Man costume and Gambit's outfit.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I truly am the only fan of Gambit's costume. I'm from Louisiana and my wife is Cajun and I liked Prince's 90's period where he wore the head sock. He wears a trenchcoat in New Orleans. That's the hardest thing to wear there. It's 100° and the humidity is 90%. He's crazy.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Same here regarding artist sketches. I like supporting unknown people who are doing cool stuff. I try and pick up small indie books too. I haven't been able to attend a con since COVID started and I really miss it.

I've never gotten anything signed or anything but I did meet Alan Davis and he was cool.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I was pretty sick last week and watched the Flash movie. The movie's quality aside, multiverse is the new nanomachines, microchip, algorithm, etc MacGuffin. I'm ready for a new hacky gimmick for writers to overuse as a catalyst for the plot.

What was the last great multiverse as a plot point comics story? The closest thing I can think of is the lead up to Hickman's Secret Wars.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's about Ronald Reagan.

I don't remember this one. I'll check it out. I'm assuming it's not a positive portrayal of that evil jelly bean muncher rear end corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I don't know if it was me, but it was probably my favorite series of '23. I also really liked Love, Everlasting but I'm a few months behind on that one.

The Crimson Cage is another wrestling based book from last year I liked. It's a retelling of MacBeth based in the early 80s New Orleans wrestling scene.