Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lucifunk posted:

What was the last great multiverse as a plot point comics story? The closest thing I can think of is the lead up to Hickman's Secret Wars.

I dug the hell out of Casanova, which is all about multiversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lucifunk posted:

What was the last great multiverse as a plot point comics story? The closest thing I can think of is the lead up to Hickman's Secret Wars.

Ed the Happy Clown

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ed the Happy Clown

What is that comic actually about? I'll never forget seeing a cover as a younger kid that really depressed me, even though I barely remember the image itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What is that comic actually about? I'll never forget seeing a cover as a younger kid that really depressed me, even though I barely remember the image itself.

It's about Ronald Reagan.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's about Ronald Reagan.

I don't remember this one. I'll check it out. I'm assuming it's not a positive portrayal of that evil jelly bean muncher rear end corpse.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lucifunk posted:

I don't remember this one. I'll check it out. I'm assuming it's not a positive portrayal of that evil jelly bean muncher rear end corpse.

Well he's kinda portrayed as a dick in this one.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Whats a cool Aquaman story?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't help you there. The only issue of Aquaman I ever read was all about "IS CALIFORNIA SINKING?!?!?" and then the story wasn't about that, really, and California wasn't sinking anyway, but then the bottom of the last page was "But.... ... IS California sinking?!?!?"

loving DC lmao.

(Actually, its been so long that my description isn't necessarily even accurate, but it is how I remember it so same difference. The author is dead.)

e: Nope, lol I remembered right:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

UwUnabomber posted:

Peter David's run in the 90s is one of the better attempts to rework the character once you're past the "Let's 90s this place up!" first few issues.

Jim Apari had a pretty good run on the character in the late 60s that was more forward looking than you might expect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Having read further into Dai Dark, I can now confidently say that Moja is by far the cutest character in comic book history. He makes Rocket Raccoon look like dead E.T.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started re-reading David Boring and I wish Clowes would just straight-up do a 50s-style superhero comic. The style is perfect.

(Yes I realize that's like wishing for a fully-fledged Maltese Falcon epic historical novel, but I can't help it.)

Unless... he already did?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’ve never read anything by Clowes, what little I know of his work makes me think he writes sad comics about guys who suck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I’ve never read anything by Clowes, what little I know of his work makes me think he writes sad comics about guys who suck.

That's mostly correct, but he also made Ghostworld, which is a sad comic about teenage girls that suck. Movie is better than the comic.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Unless... he already did?
Black Nylon and The Death-Ray come closest

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

UwUnabomber posted:

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

David Boring is very much that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read volume 4 of Heterogenia Linguistico. Extremely good. The part where the guy realized that he's been having so much trouble understanding the Lamia language because they can see heat so he's been missing a huge part of how they perceive the world owned.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Huh.

https://www.cbr.com/disney-ditko-ma...obox=1702070091

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I would assume the Ditko estate was looking for a massive payday settlement in the first place since the bar to show the characters weren't work for hire is very high.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ditko is probably rolling in his grave over a man (his brother) profiting from the labour of another man (his). He always seemed real clear that Marvel was a work for hire situation, and treated it as such.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jordan7hm posted:

Ditko is probably rolling in his grave over a man (his brother) profiting from the labour of another man (his). He always seemed real clear that Marvel was a work for hire situation, and treated it as such.

That has more to do with Ditko being a very talented moron more than anything else really

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, this is possibly the only time where I feel like not siding with an estate because the dude was hardcore, all-in on that nonsense, for good or ill. I don't deny it's a dumb as gently caress way to live but he was devoted to it and never hypocritical about it like the rest of them so it feels kinda disrespectful to try and push a claim that would go against the guy's wishes.

Just in this particular case.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, this is possibly the only time where I feel like not siding with an estate because the dude was hardcore, all-in on that nonsense, for good or ill. I don't deny it's a dumb as gently caress way to live but he was devoted to it and never hypocritical about it like the rest of them so it feels kinda disrespectful to try and push a claim that would go against the guy's wishes.

Just in this particular case.

In this case I'd say the disrespect is earned and valid, Ditko was a loving moron whose wishes being ignored is the correct thing to do

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It should just revert to public domain and nobody should profit from it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jordan7hm posted:

It should just revert to public domain and nobody should profit from it.

That would be for the best, yeah.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Ian Gibson 1946 – 2023

https://2000ad.com/news/ian-gibson-1946-2023/

11th December 2023

Everyone at Rebellion is deeply saddened to hear of the death of artist Ian Gibson.

A renowned writer and artist, with a career spanning half a century, he was responsible for the art on some of 2000 AD’s most distinctive and iconic stories, including ‘The Ballad of Halo Jones’ with Alan Moore and ‘Robo-Hunter’ with John Wagner and Alan Grant.

Whether under his pen-names – Emberton and Q. Twerk – or his own, Gibson’s art is immediately recognisable: as at ease in portraying dynamic action as it is chronicling character, as comfortable with goofball comedy as with moving pathos. His endlessly inventive imagination could craft whole worlds that seemed lived-in and real yet fantastical and wondrous – from the mean streets of Mega-City One and the robot world of Verdus to the planets on Halo Jones’ galaxy-spanning journey.

Born in 1946, Ian’s first work was on fanzines but by 1973 his art was appearing in Pocket Chiller Library, the Bionic Woman Annual, and in House of Hammer titles. After his ‘skinny’ girls were rejected by editors on IPC’s range of girls’ comics, he worked with renowned Spanish artist Blas Gallego, who lived in London at the time, with Gallego inking over Gibson’s pencils. It was his work on ‘Death Wish’ in 1975 for Valiant that marked the beginning of a decades-long collaboration with writer and editor John Wagner.

After 2000 AD launched in 1977, Gibson contributed a string of work drawing the futuristic lawman, including episodes for the first Judge Dredd epic, ’Robot Wars’. It was his portrayal of robots inspiring Wagner to come up with a new series that would suit his talents – ‘Robo-Hunter’.

With his 2000 AD catalogue including runs with stories including ‘Ace Trucking Co’, ‘Anderson: Psi Division’ and many more, in the late 1980s Gibson moved across to work in America, with a storied career working on comics including Mister Miracle, Star Wars, the major DC comics event storyline ‘Millennium’, and ‘Meta 4’ for First Comics. In the 1990s, he designed pre-production visuals and characters for the pioneering CGI-animated TV series, ReBoot, as well as creating ‘The Chronicles of Genghis Grimtoad’.

Ian’s most recent 2000 AD work saw him return to both Judge Dredd and one of the franchises he’d made famous, ‘Robo-Hunter’, teaming up with Alan Grant for a series based around the adventures of Sam Slade’s daughter, Samantha. In recent years, he celebrated the publication of his long-gestating Lifeboat story, as well as connecting with fans on social media.

Throughout, Gibson never lost his ability to make the fantastical into something which felt relatable, exciting and real; his gift for humour marks him as one of 2000 AD’s most expressive and human artists, who left an indelible mark on comics history.

His passing represents another profound loss from the golden generation of artists and writers who established 2000 AD as an artistic and cultural powerhouse, his work enthralling and thrilling generations of children.

Our most heartfelt condolences go out to all of Ian’s family and friends.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Guys seems like a solid deal, should I go for it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Copies sold for $1600 on Ebay, so this is a $100 discount. I think you should go for it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Medullah posted:

That's 1500 copies, right?

Still not worth it, though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

He knows what he has. Don't try and lowball him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you don't have Marvel Unlimited, you can get a full year of it right now for $50 with a discount code "HOLIDAY50". I let my subscription lapse a while back and was renewing it when I saw this, so it's not solely for brand new accounts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zenescope is doing a Kickstarter for a new Van Helsing series. It’s an interesting take on the character, instead of the classic Peter Cushing type, in this series Van Helsing is a sexy woman who wears a corset.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Zenescope is doing a Kickstarter for a new Van Helsing series. It’s an interesting take on the character, instead of the classic Peter Cushing type, in this series Van Helsing is a sexy woman who wears a corset.

Yeah you said it was a Zenescope comic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The hundred dollar tier gets you a box set of the nine previous Zenescope Van Helsing trades, which honestly seems like a pretty good deal.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Are you getting a cut?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I can’t tell if stuff like Vampirella and Zenescope has some invisible but generous following or it’s just money laundering like direct to DVD JCVD movies

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Horny older dudes. And in Vampirella's case she's been ingrained enough in comic book culture that she doesn't have the same stigma as the other cheesecake books. Somebody previously pointed out all the big name comic book creators that worked on Vampi books either early in their career, or just for fun.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Horny older dudes.

Hey! There are better :nws: books I can buy. Meredith McClaren just put out one! And a new Oglaf collection came out last month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I did read some Zenoscope books out of curiosity and the books themselves aren't nearly as horny as the covers. It's mostly mediocre retellings of fairy tales as horror stories that have some sort of sexual element and kinda lovely art. I'm positive the people working on the covers make more money than the writer and interior artist combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read the first volume of Witch Hat Atelier. I know "It's like Harry Potter but good!" is a total hack thing but drat it really is like Harry Potter but good. The worldbuilding is super strong, the magic system makes sense, the way the world is magical is whimsical but also really practical, and the separation between witches and regular people is super clearly something the story is going to deal with a lot in the future. Our lead character is a little generic but she has skills of her own from her backstory and she actually maintains her underdog status instead of immediately being given a safe full of gold.

I wanted to read at least the first volume before I jumped into the cooking spinoff but now I think I'm actually gonna read the whole thing.