Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like he almost can't help it- the guy sucks but the camera makes him look godlike and him being the hero of the beach is just the natural narrative of the film. It's that idea of the filmmaker not always being in full control, the camera sees what it sees (even if it's not the truth.)

Yeah, I definitely see that as a possibility in the film. I just feel like it presses roughly against the times we see that the film is not just what’s there. I already mentioned the bit where he cut the mom-Benny scenes out. I guess there’s also the the pinholes for the gunshots, and just in general the many shots of editing.

Thinking more broadly about what the characters say versus what we’re shown, the characters remark on how Sam takes after his mom as the “artistic” one. But I think we’re pointedly shown him taking after his father as well. The movies he makes are feats of engineering, and it’s a minor tragedy that neither Sam nor his father recognize that. His dad’s a dreamer, too: we get that scene of him explaining the Benny about all the amazing stuff his computer systems inventions will be able to do in the future.

Thinking on that last point, it’s as if people (his father included) think that what his father does isn’t art because it’s too commercial. And, well…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anyone see Big Chungus yet

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lid posted:

random question are all movie awards first past the post or preferential? i just noticed all the SA awards for games, movies, television etc. are preferential because its a better system overall but do any actual awards use this methodology?

Well, the Golden Globes are preferential, in that they're awarded to the movies of the studios and distributors who wine and dine and throw the parties that the members of the HFPA like the most.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

white noise is annoying so far, why are there always 4 awful conversations going on at the same time?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Timby posted:

Well, the Golden Globes are preferential, in that they're awarded to the movies of the studios and distributors who wine and dine and throw the parties that the members of the HFPA like the most.

Yeah industry awards aren't really either of those kind of systems, the studio either straight up buys em or schmoozes elderly rich guys with treats to also technically buy em but in a more roundabout way

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I am sure I have posted this before but it’s worth reposting

:nws:

https://youtu.be/KdftbYqA_VQ

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 2, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:nws is what you're looking for

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:nws is what you're looking for

:tipshat:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timby posted:

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah industry awards aren't really either of those kind of systems, the studio either straight up buys em or schmoozes elderly rich guys with treats to also technically buy em but in a more roundabout way

It's obviously true that awards voting is corrupt etc. But they do nevertheless use an actually voting system - it would be a pretty bold claim to make that, e.g., PWC just gives the award to whoever pays them the most and the voting just literally doesn't matter.
For the Oscars, all categories are first-past-the-post (i.e. whoever gets the most votes wins), except for Best Picture, which uses a ranked-choice (preferential) system.
(https://variety.com/feature/who-votes-on-oscars-academy-awards-how-voting-works-1203490944/)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Democracy manifest

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

smug n stuff posted:

It's obviously true that awards voting is corrupt etc. But they do nevertheless use an actually voting system - it would be a pretty bold claim to make that, e.g., PWC just gives the award to whoever pays them the most and the voting just literally doesn't matter.
For the Oscars, all categories are first-past-the-post (i.e. whoever gets the most votes wins), except for Best Picture, which uses a ranked-choice (preferential) system.
(https://variety.com/feature/who-votes-on-oscars-academy-awards-how-voting-works-1203490944/)

The Oscars, sure. I was making a snide remark about the Golden Globes, because it is an open secret that the HFPA just gives the awards to whomever showers them with the most affection.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
BAFTA is preferential.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I remember a dude I went to highschool with won an ARIA, which is basically an Australian Grammy, and didn't realise he had or turn up to to ceremony. Some functionary from his record label or agency accepted it for him. Powerful

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Oh poo poo he hosted it since and didn't get along with a TV puppet from the nineties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2EYFpLPk0

I really want to hang out with this dude again, what a weird fun life

E: he's the obnoxious seeming one not the chill one, hated that guy when I was a kid

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 2, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Thankya!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Foreign remakes are back baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPoaN2XROk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYUX9l-m5I

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Man, Glass Onion really threaded that "Elon Musk having a very public meltdown" to "Jeremy Renner jokes are considered poor taste" needle perfectly, huh?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My first movie of 2023 ended up being Heavy Metal. I'd seen it ages ago but they had the 4k for super cheap at bluray so I thought I should get a copy and watch it again

They don't make movies like that anymore. Awesome music, cool visuals, babes, a cool gun or sword. You don't get those movies these days.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gripweed posted:

My first movie of 2023 ended up being Heavy Metal. I'd seen it ages ago but they had the 4k for super cheap at bluray so I thought I should get a copy and watch it again

They don't make movies like that anymore. Awesome music, cool visuals, babes, a cool gun or sword. You don't get those movies these days.

Nice. I just watched Redline on Bluray, very similar animated feature full of good music and wall to wall stuff that makes you say hell yeah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anonymous Robot posted:

Nice. I just watched Redline on Bluray, very similar animated feature full of good music and wall to wall stuff that makes you say hell yeah.

I really need to get around to watching that. But it proves my point too, Redline came out 15 years ago

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We took our son to the cinema for the first time since Covid (and for the last day of holidays) to see the film of Matilda the Musical. A thoroughly good time was had by all. It’s very enjoyable and well done.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Apropos of nothing, I watched Ball of Fire (1941) the other day and this is a scene I just can't get out of my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-H6Xt17DMc

Just Gene Krupa playing percussion on a matchbox with immaculate composition. Howard Hawks, man.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Apropos of nothing, I watched Ball of Fire (1941) the other day and this is a scene I just can't get out of my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-H6Xt17DMc

Just Gene Krupa playing percussion on a matchbox with immaculate composition. Howard Hawks, man.

That’s cool

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"Did not crack 40%" feels like an odd way of putting it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know the domestic film market is huge and that's where the filmmakers are going to see the largest share of the returns, but a movie making 40% of its money from 5% of the audience is still pretty substantial.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There was that court case recently where they established that you can sue a movie studio for a misleading trailer. That case specifically was about an advertised feature of the movie, Ana de Armas, not actually being in the movie itself, not for the trailer being deceptive in tone or theme or anything like that. But I still think I can use that precedent to sue Arrow for this cover.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

There was that court case recently where they established that you can sue a movie studio for a misleading trailer. That case specifically was about an advertised feature of the movie, Ana de Armas, not actually being in the movie itself, not for the trailer being deceptive in tone or theme or anything like that. But I still think I can use that precedent to sue Arrow for this cover.

Fun fact: this wasn't even the original cover, the original cover was a ripoff of Criterion's World on a Wire release, and they got called out into changing it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I assume that from a studio perspective, there's a reason domestic vs global gross matters?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

I assume that from a studio perspective, there's a reason domestic vs global gross matters?

Does a large chunk of international box office revenue for studios get destroyed by VAT?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's that international distribution deals involve more parties who take significant cuts and there's much less of that that gets back to studios.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yeah as I understand it, the share of non-domestic profits that actually makes it back to the studio is significantly smaller than domestic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

yeah as I understand it, the share of non-domestic profits that actually makes it back to the studio is significantly smaller than domestic.

Opening weekend is also hugely important for this reason, I don't know if it's changed since covid and studios pulling movies quicker for streaming, but it used to be for huge block busters the studio would get like 90+ percent of the ticket sales on opening, and then theaters would get larger and larger shares as the movie remained in theaters longer.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 4, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Does a large chunk of international box office revenue for studios get destroyed by VAT?

No. BO is reported net of VAT.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's that international distribution deals involve more parties who take significant cuts and there's much less of that that gets back to studios.

Nope. One of the characteristics of a studio is that it has in-house worldwide distribution that covers almost every territory, so a WB film will be distributed by eg WB Brazil, WB Australia etc. In smaller territories they might partner with local distributors but that shouldn’t affect the numbers very significantly.

Skwirl posted:

Opening weekend is also hugely important for this reason, I don't know if it's changed since covid and studios pulling movies quicker for streaming, but it used to be for huge block busters the studio would get like 90+ percent of the ticket sales on opening, and then theaters would get larger and larger shares as the movie remained in theaters longer.

Broadly true but the 90% is not quite a myth but based on a very rare example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

Broadly true but the 90% is not quite a myth but based on a very rare example.

I think I heard it about Phantom Menace, do you have any idea what it would have been for like, Avengers: Infinity War?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I think I heard it about Phantom Menace, do you have any idea what it would have been for like, Avengers: Infinity War?

I don’t know enough about distribution/exhibition to answer that. I read this a while ago which goes into it (and the 10%, at the end) and while
It’s more UK-focussed it’s broadly applicable.

https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cinemas-box-office-income-is-distributed/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chris James 2 posted:

Fun fact: this wasn't even the original cover, the original cover was a ripoff of Criterion's World on a Wire release, and they got called out into changing it

That's still not very representative of the tone but at least it's not technicolor sphinxes.

I watched The Sacred Spirit. It's alright. It's about how people are so desperate to attach some kind of narrative drama to their lives that they end up believing dumb stuff and are left wide open to scammers at best and people who want to use their credulity for very evil purposes at worst. They're so busy looking for ghosts or evil foreigners that they're left wide open for a bad person right under their noses.

The thing is, the movie is quite dull. It's mostly just following these people around as they go about their lives. It's not naturalistic there are a ton of very artificially framed shots and the characters are all slightly heightened. The shots are very nice but the characters didn't really work for me. They aren't heightened enough to be entertaining as like cartoons, but they're also just too far to be believable as real people, they're more like pastiches of people and their ways.

Except for the main guy. He's really good.

There's very little background music but there are two big needledrops, and both of those scenes are fantastic. So I'm left feeling like if The Sacred Spirit had been slightly more normal, just slightly more structured like a regular movie with maybe a slightly greater emphasis on the investigation or one or two threads developed into subplots, I would have loved it.

I can definitely see how other people would love The Sacred Spirit. But for me it's just too boring.

But one thing I do think we can all agree on is that it undercuts itself by having their actually be foreign organ thieves. It's all about these crazy things people believe to add drama to their lives while the actual drama happens right under their noses, but then at the last second it's like, "oh yeah except for the foreign organ thieves. Those are real"

That last shot is amazing though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/toodamnbright/status/1609938232632041474?s=46&t=LfmZJUmxKglNWC5ahv77dQ

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

They should watch the whole movie, it's all like that.

Also, in the same scene you get the stuffy boss butler from Downton Abbey trying to smash a window and failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I ducking love that film.