Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Internet Explorer posted:

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

"Urgent" is even better, it sends people a reminder every 20 minutes.

It's better than that.
Every 2 minutes for 20 minutes. At least, that's what my notification options says.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, this isn't normal or healthy, and the business is likely to start experiencing significant financial hardships unless several people who are not you manage to resolve their cranial/anal intersection.

I'll say it again with bold letters: This is not how a healthy organization operates. Evacuate immediately.

Minimum effort obviously won't get punished immediately, so they get lip service while all your real effort goes to finding your next role.

And if you want to do one last thing to attempt to help the company, and I totally get why you would, put all of that you just unloaded into your resignation. Tell them exactly WHY you are resigning. It's possible, even likely, nothing will change, but it definitely won't change if you don't tell them.
If you've already told them, well, then tell them "gently caress you, you didn't listen."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Renegret posted:

We're offering 5 gig home internet now and the overwhelming opinion of this is, it's complete overkill, but we're all afraid to say that we'll never need it because we've all been burnt before.

AT&T is offering "Hyper-Gig" or whatever in my area, but I've got 1GB already, and don't really need that. I only got it over 500MB because the 1GB comes with unlimited data. Below that has a data cap, and the cost for getting unlimited on 500GB makes it the same price as 1GB, so...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A Frosty Witch posted:

A second round of interviews at my dream job just came in.

Here's hoping :unsmith:

Sweet! Good luck!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That depends entirely on the structure of the acquisition. It's entirely possible for your boss and entire management structure to be replaced without directly changing the entity who signs your paycheck and who you have an employment contract with. Nobody likes to do that because it's messy as hell, but it is doable.

Depending on the state "gently caress you, I'm not signing that" would be a layoff, not quitting, because the business unit dissolved with the acquisition. Most employment lawyers will answer some questions for free, and everyone deserves a severance package. That's probably why HR wanted a resignation, because the resignation affirms the change in employment, then instantly ends it, preventing the "it's not a layoff, it's a merger" loophole they closed after the games they played in the 90s.

Lol, “employment contract” in the US of A. At least for anything les than Veep.
Edit: which RFC might have been! I don’t know.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Just because the contract says they can fire you for any reason or no reason doesn't make it less contractual. They can tell you that 'your new boss will be X', but they can't say 'your new employer will be Y' and actually do it without you signing something. Either side can zero notice quit the contact, but one side absolutely cannot renegotiate specific terms unilaterally. Basic US contract law prohibits that.

Contracts with teeth that cut both ways don't start until you're in the equity bracket of leadership, or you're both extremely valuable (and management both knows it AND is willing to acknowledge it). Which is rare these days, when most companies will happily saw off their foot rather than deal fairly with someone with value to the company.

Contracts at all don’t exist until one gets to the executive level. Literally every job I’ve ever had, admittedly all in Texas, so perhaps not the best example, explicitly stated in the HR paperwork that no one beside the CEO of the company had authority to even *make* a contract with employees.

That said, no company can just… sell a job to another company, much less the employee.

Renegret posted:

Would it be unprofessional if I closed a ticket by saying it's so stupid it made my brain hurt?

It took me 10 minutes to send the ticket back saying, what?, but I've spent over an hour trying to decipher what the ask is. They eventually got back to me with what's effectively a wildly incorrect definition of what a NAT is which only made things worse.

$10 all the customer wants is to put the ISP gear into bridge mode so they can use their own router.

“Listen, all I want to do is <some wildly incorrect interpretation of something they read or heard on a tech channel>.”

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds like someone wants their Minecraft server to be accessible to the internet and doesn't quite understand how to make that happen.

That would be a classic A-B problem.
Don't tell me what you *think* you need to do or how you *think* you want to do it. Tell me what you want to accomplish, and *I'll* tell you how we can get there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I literally just got the real-life equivalent of the "Website is Down - Webdude vs Sales Guy" the file at the tip of the penis.
Lady had been complaining about her machine being slow, etc. for like a week (it's not the machine, it's Teams and her rural Kentucky internet... but I'm tired of arguing) so I get her on One Drive, synching, and send her a loaner laptop, then have her send me the current machine.
This sentence took over a week to accomplish, BTW. She is literally the Sales Dude. Not just non-technical, but, like a helpless person I'm surprised made it to adulthood, much less a job.

At any rate, despite every file being synched to One Drive, she can't find a file or three on the loaner because she doesn't know what they are named, just where they are on her desktop.
Not even in a folder for that particular customer. Thankfully, I hadn't wiped the old machine yet, so we just take a look and I sent them to her (even though they were literally already there in One Drive... :eyeroll:) They were of course "Copy of <whatever>.xls". Just, like, ALL the cliches.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like they got tired of you making everyone else look bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Our apartment management company just sent us an email blast that theyre going to be installing "SMART HOME TECHNOLOGY" in all of the units and I really wish I could tell them that no, I'm perfectly happy with my early-2000s thermostat and do not want any of this bullshit in my residence

Hell, slip the installer $20 to not install the new thermostat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Amazon is already on my shot list when they discontinued the Cloud Cam, which I got solely because it was on sale and was one of two cameras that worked with Amazon Key, and replaced it with a (free) Blink cam that does not work with Key. [I]And[/] requires a monthly or annual fee to use at all. They’re next tier cameras will work with Key, but are stupid expensive.
So I got a set of refurbished Wyze cameras, since I already have their doorbell, and put one in the garage. They can record to SD locally. They do motion detection, and I could pay the sub to record to the cloud, which I may do. My main consideration was to *not* pay Amazon, because gently caress them for that rug pull.
One camera of the three is currently unused, but I put one as a monitoring camera on my 3D printer, where it works admirably.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

klosterdev posted:

A ticket came in: "Cannot connect to wife"

rafikki posted:

“Did you try turning her on?”

This is excellent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Weedle posted:

are you loving serious? what are the model numbers so we know to never buy them

"HP"

Just don't buy any of them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

When your attempts at erudition fail,
No one is fooled by your insipid words.
You hide your shameful face behind email,
Hoping to buffalo with words in herds.

Instead, use language familiar:
"Please" and "Thank you" and your "Would you kindly";
Worry not about words peculiar.
And compose your dialect unblindly.

Whenever you speak with that foolishness
Your intentions are led so far astray.
With your brazen display of mulishness,
You embarrass those you wish to obey.

This wisdom of mine I beg you to heed;
Otherwise you might look like a dickweed.

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Renegret posted:

There's a ticket here that got escalated to my group in closed status, with weekly angry updates from the call center complaining it's out of SLA and that we need to provide an update.

I'm going to continue to ignore it and see what happens.

It's also for a simple request that I don't have access to do myself so they should very much do it themselves.

Why would you be expected to do anything with or about a *closed* ticket, regardless?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

klosterdev posted:

"IT is not a revenue generating department"

No, we are a revenue enabling department. Just see how far you get without us,

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Aw, gently caress yeah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Thanksgiving gets them started early.

Oh, we get started before Halloween, now.
Which ticks me off. I like Halloween, and I like Thanksgiving. Let them be their own holidays, rather than "pre-Christmas".
Christmas starts on Black Friday *at the earliest*. Don't even get those decorations out of the attic before that.

Jaded Burnout posted:

My local supermarket filling the seasonal aisle with christmas stuff on August 31st was the last straw for me.

Retail has gotten more and more desperate to try and save the year with holiday sales.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shugojin posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Username/avatar combo?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

What is clear and obvious to you is not always clear and obvious to someone else.

I used to have a word template that had all the intro stuff on it including their username and password and used mail merge to populate the fields from a csv. That would get included in their onboarding packet by their manager.

Similarly, we include a printed-from-Word username/password welcome page. Just easier.
The manager always gets the same email I get with the new employee's username and password, but about half of them ignore it because it comes from HR, despite them, you know, having hired someone new. Everyone always ignores emails from HR or IT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Onboarding is not an IT task, it is a line manager task. Line manager gets the laptop and the credentials (temporary access pass if you're on board with all that) and gives them to the new hire when they turn up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAa.... wooo...

TLDR: LOL. LMFAO, even.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Every time you make your process foolproof, you meet a better fool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Deuce posted:

Don't shame my Outlook rules

I'm going to. Shaming them right now.

SHAME.

Kurieg posted:

They got rid of our desk phones and gave us all software phones.
In the process this broke our intercom that we had in the entryway so they just hung up a sign over the junction box where the intercom used to be saying 'dial <My Phone> for entry'
Then they got rid of our software phones.
The SOP now is to just bang on the glass till someone notices I guess.

What is "an phone"?
I kid. We had desk phones until about 2022, when we finally got everything migrated to an 8x8 cloud-based phone system, and switched to softphones except in Team Rooms and Conference Rooms. SO much easier to manage than Avaya's archaic poo poo. For one thing, an actual working softphone for Macs, and an easily setup app for mobile. We also switches from Zoom to Teams about that time, but I don't think that had much impact with regard to phones.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

The latest: the monitor has returned! It was magically under the desk this AM. I'm guessing someone figured out they couldn't suddenly be using it and also probably couldn't sneak it out.

FAKEEDIT: ".... uh... does it look to anyone else like it was dropped on that corner?" Yeah. The screen is busted.

I'm going to guess this is all in the Sales department, isn't it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A Frosty Witch posted:

This was always the most infuriating part of working in IT. The largest telecom company in the world does not give a poo poo about a small business in rural Alabama, please stop trying to get me to bully them into fixing their multi-million dollar outage faster.

Karens always think they get better/faster service if the complain more loudly to people who not only can't do anything about the problem, but also don't give a poo poo. And are certain to note who the Karens are and go out of their way to make their experience miserable next time.
They just never figure out why they have sub-par experiences.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You work in an episode of Community.

That sums it up right there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

I mean, it's HIPAA, I don't think HR is even allowed to ask. If they have a nice dentist who'll write them a nice three-day weekend note...

Meanwhile, I'm sure you mean an unauthorized USB Mass Storage Device ("thumbdrive") and yeah. I don't work there anymore, let alone him...

Thank you for that trip down memory lane (the link cleverly hidden as a period.)
And it was neat to see Dirt Road Junglist’s art again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

The new hire, and I only know because I got the ticket to change his stuff in inventory from building/floor/cube to wfh/longterm.

Dentist appt guy ... shrug.

Guess he/his boss decided being in general population wasn't a good idea with the lunatics you have loose in your office.

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly that sounds like the best outcome to me. Still get your requested gear, but don't have to work in the office with a bunch of literal children.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Because when Congress changed DST in 2007 they phased it in and the day changed by a week for like a decade. A lot of DST had static dates that couldn't be changed and part of that big disaster was adding flexible dates.

It's been so long and I'm still mad at Microsoft for bundling their Exchange DST 2007 fix in with permission changes that hosed Blackberries and caused a bunch of work.

Holy poo poo I remember that.

Also that post made me feel very very old.

Eh. :same:

dragonshardz posted:

DST is stupid.

fake edit: changing the time is stupid. Leaving it as it is now, on DST, is pro. I give a poo poo about it being dark when I go to work. I want light in the evening so I can do poo poo outside after work.

AlexDeGruven posted:

There are so many reasons I'd rather be in Ireland.

If only they (or anyone else) would have us filthy Americans (I'm assuming you're American, which I guess I should not do.)
My mother-in-law can claim citizenship by way of an ancestor, but I've got nothing, and, as noted, IT != critical job.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

DST sucks and I want to stop changing my loving clocks twice a year. I don't care what the clock says when the sun rises or sets, either permanently on or off is fine.

The current 3-week period where the US is on summer time ,while the rest of the world is still on winter time, is the stupidest result of DST ever.

I never understood what changing the clocks was supposed to accomplish. Just change what time everyone goes in to work (not that that really matters anymore with so much shift work, WFH, gig work, etc.) if you really want more daylight at one end or another.
Leave the damned clocks alone.

sfwarlock posted:

I live in San Francisco. If not for DST, dawn would be before 5 am for two months, mid-May to mid-July. If permanent DST, dawn would be after 8 am - after I get to work - for about three months, 11/23 - 2/13.

I'll take four days of mild jetlag over nearly five months of bullshit, please and thank you.

eh, California isn't a real place anyway.
but I really enjoyed the two weeks I was loaned to Mattel there. Let me tell you, being from TX, and having only experienced the Gulf waters, the ocean being cold was a literal shock.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I've been in IT for over 20 years and I barely know what I don't know.

35 years. I barely know what I know.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What in the actual gently caress? The whole point is to be able to bag on your company anonymously.

Thanks Ants posted:

Well that will kill the platform, congratulations to all involved

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Look at all these cynical buttholes...

You clearly have not had to work with printers, much less *someone else's* printer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm the rare goon with medical insurance, it was just the copays for like three appointments I think.

back on topic, gently caress Zebra label printers. I hate them so much. gently caress you receiving guy, you don't need these.

I want to ask if you work with me, but I know those damned things are everywhere. We use a big one at each location for asset tags, and a little one for UPS labels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

What is it about sitting at a computer that makes people's brains stop working? We have a third-party service that will integrate with AD for SSO Real Soon Now, but in the meantime people need to log in separately.

(Insert separate rant here about how I'm just a cruel arrogant sadist who loves to torture people by asking them politely not to "just reuse 'their' password" for logging onto a third-party service. )

Every 90 days, the service requires 2fa - that is, it sends a code to the email address that needs to be entered along with the password.

The words "A code was sent to user@company.com by email. Enter it here:" appeared on his screen in plain English. All they have to do is read the words that re in front of them and do what it says. Yet what do we get. "Logon to Paragon system broken."

"What's wrong?"

"It doesn't work."

"Please specify any error messages?"

cc: my boss, my boss's boss, user's boss "IT DOES NOT WORK FIX IT NOW two pages of explaining why it is vitally important for him to access this system"

I send the minion (whenever my blood pressure gets to the point I can feel it in my ears, I send the minion).

According to what he said before he left for a long lunch:

user: ITS BROKEN FIX IT

minion: "It sent a code to your email, check there?"

user: *blank stare* ITS BROKEN FIX IT

minion: "Can you open your email and enter the code?"

minion: *types their email address into the place where the website wants the code*

user: ITS BROKEN FIX IT

minion: *reaches past user, clicks on outlook, clicks on the latest (of ten) emails

minion: "See, it sent you a code, it just wanted that code."

user: *fifteen feet back with arms crossed* WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT. DO YOU ENJOY MAKING THIS HARDER. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS IS IMPORTANT

minion: "It's just once every 90 days. It's required for security."

user: FINE. WHATEVER. JUST DO THE THING SO I CAN WORK.

minion: *shows them how to enter the code and leaves*

I went and checked. There's a postit on the user's monitor now: PARAGON CODE 50302939

I always wonder if they are just as incompetent in their actual job at that point, and then contemplate how they are probably paid more than I am. Then I drink.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I pronounce the first syllable of Entra the same as Entry, but not long ago I was helping someone with MS Authenticator and they said their account was labeled awn-tra.

Our own people couldn’t seem to agree on how to pronounce Azure. Az-yoor, Uh-zhour, A-jhoor…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A ticket came in:

quote:

Subject Desktop / Laptop (NABU only)

Description the last 3 cycles where my machine was updated, I had to reboot 3+ times! after each reboot, in a minute or two I am prompted to reboot again... and Again. Because of the timeouts set in the reboot now (8 minute timer) I have lost 1 hour of production each time I have to update my machine with patches.

Yes?
He’s bitching about our patching. It asks to restart when an update requires it, but gives you until 6 PM to do so, and can be exited a day 2 times. Unless he’s delayed the restart already, he doesn’t *have* to restart. Also, if he hits the restart now, he didn’t have to wait for the timer to restart - he can just, you know, restart.
I agree that multiple restarts are annoying, but some updates have to be installed after other updates. That’s just a thing that happens.

It’s probably likely he ignored some updates for a while, though.