Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fresh gripe for new thread:

The app I work on searches a client's data for bad things, which it flags as "violations" of internal best practices. The client sometimes complains to us that we've found false positives in our weekly reports.

Only they don't use the term "false positives". They say "false flags".

Subject: False Flags 1/3/2023
"Hello! Happy Monday! :) I would like to share that our latest report has 4 false flags, with the following details..."

I guess because they heard the term on the news, but ... I just keep wanting to butt my way into the client conversations and be all like NO PLEASE STOP USING THAT TERM, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT REFERS TO. gently caress

But that's not an in-my-lane kind of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the orange note

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was also a version of the printer queue dock icon that if you clicked on it just said "Stop Jobs" and I was like :hmmyes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weedle posted:

when i was a small childe using windows 95 i thought the "illegal operation" error meant i was in huge, huge trouble and might go to jail

Same except all the customers at the small-town ISP that I worked support at

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

door.jar posted:

Some ancient software (niche industry "SharePoint" type thing) I was using back in 2012 had components that super users could create and these could have further nested components. When you tried to delete the very top level component that existed you would get a browser alert of "Are you sure you wish to delete this component? It will destroy all your children.".

Ah yes, "zombies killing their children", what a fun artifact of computing in a certain era that we had to explain about our jobs to our families

That ISP that I mentioned working at, the owner was this dude with a really weird prankish sense of humor, the kind we all knew we should do our best to keep from having any contact with customers but we could never really bring ourselves to intervene because it was always just really funny to see him loving with customers, some of which even deserved it.

One time our SunOS DNS box lost its mind and had some kind of runaway system process that resulted in name services breaking for all our dialup customers (who were all dialing in to our rack of US Robotics Courier modems at 33.6) and nobody could get to anything on the Internet. We were fielding all kinds of calls from bewildered little old ladies and explaining as best we could that we were experiencing technical difficulties, in between me and Jim, the owner, frantically trying to figure out how to restore named to its previous working condition.

In the middle of all this, while the rest of us are all juggling phones in both ears at once, the phone next to the DNS machine (where Jim is flailing away on the keyboard watching processes and trying to restart services) rings, and he snatches it up. We only heard his side of the conversation:

"Hello?"
"...."
"Yes, we're working on it."
"..."
"Named turned into a zombie process."
"...??"
"NAMED TURNED INTO A ZOMBIE PROCESS."
"........"
"Thank you."

He hung up, and I stared at him, and he stared at me.

"Well, it did!""

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Um, I want to know if we have a particular software package.."

"Which package is that?"

"Uh, B-A-S-I-C it's called."

>clickety clickety d-e-l b-a-s-i-c.e-x-e<

"Um no, we don't have that. We used to though.."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

ms teams logs mouse movement for whatever reason

I'm sure it's purely for benign reasons

Like making sure that if you're idle it won't send you any notifications to that device. I'm on two different laptops and logged into Teams on both, and if a meeting starts or someone sends me a message it only shows up on the one I'm using, but then if I jiggle the mouse on the other one all the notifications suddenly come through in a flood. It's extremely strange and unnecessary

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everything Teams does is insane.

It's like they said, hey let's make Slack, except every single individual little feature? Make it about 30% worse or more annoying

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's happened to me before, fairly recently. Company was imploding rapidly and of a backend team of over 20 when I joined, I was the only senior one left by the time they did the final cull. I was the only one left who had any historical knowledge of how anything worked. But the two just-joined junior devs under me, they survived. So it was all about how much person X costs, evidently.

Glad to hear you got the additional context that ought to help put your mind more at ease.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm :yotj:'ing from a big fintech soon and

:lol: June 8 can't come soon enough. 87 and counting

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the plus side I get to hear from EVERY SINGLE PERSON where they are based and who has an illicit WFH exemption that they are proudly talking about as a way to inform everyone that they are not based in Chicago

"Everyone, please do not Reply All" *hits Reply All*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Xerol posted:

Who exactly is using the blackberry in 2023?

It says right there, ______________________________

200 and counting, not slowing down. So many "me too"s I feel like I'm right back in AOL-influx Usenet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was going to say: "I disagree, I think we should all reply more"

At least some people are having fun, like "only if you're delivering food to Delaware" and "Will there be a keto option??"

(that one was in earnest though lol)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe if the new stuff of today actually had anywhere near the relevance and impact of the stuff that was solidifying in our time.

Oh you have THREE blockchain apes? That’s impressive kid, sounds just like when you could suddenly chat with people around the world or when all the knowledge of humanity was made available for free

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hi US Robotics Sportster, haven’t seen you in a minute

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was gonna say. At what time did you have in mind

Like ... ImageWriter II era maybe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Delta gates at the airports all apparently still use dot matrix printers stuffed into wall cubbyholes, I noticed on my trip last week

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Place a small dog at your feet like a king of old

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will they take "goons"?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr. Ian Gibbis, your time has come

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Portland just got a little cooler.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doing floating point math in Javascript, smh

Amateur hour for decades

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GreenNight posted:

You kidding? it's gonna rain and fucker will electrocute you.

That's what happened in Bored of the Rings

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

klosterdev posted:

Every time you nod off the implant zaps you

Every 5 minutes it pops up an AI-generated quiz on the last 5 minutes of content

oh god I just manifested this it's too easy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kensei posted:

Aka Windows 12

Now now, we can't expect them to break the "no more than 2 consecutive versions of Windows may have the same naming scheme EVER" pattern. It'll be Windows Psi or Windows Neptune or something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reminds me of a video or meme I saw years ago where someone was commenting about something they saw in the big long ingredients list on a bottle, they said "So I'm reading this bottle, I'm scrolling, and I come across ___ ...."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sfwarlock posted:

I mean, they're moving/using stuff that's not theirs without permission. That counts as twocking in my book.

I'm sorry it cracks me up that this is a thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The Homer" rear end keyboard. You can never find return when you're mad!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They would if they were big enough

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can't NOT read it in the voice

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pyf widely deployed infra passwords

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I once got interviewed by one of those.

In a conference room, on-prem.

The interviewer was in Turkey.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sudo show results with sausage

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Volguus posted:

Well, Netscape came with all those applications (mail, IRC, and who knows what else). Netscape 5 being a shitshow, Mozilla was made. Mozilla too came with all those applications. Then one guy got fed up with all that bloat and took out just the browser and released Phoenix. Which became Firebird because Phoenix was used by someone. Turns out Firebird was too, so Firefox it was.

This was the time before FreeBSD 5 too. The good old days. (well, kinda, I just went from dialup to 128Kbps cable with 3GB monthly traffic limit, but it was something).

That was a wild few months when that poo poo went down, felt like the world was ending

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

90 days from now, they'll be brandishing that postit in your face: IT'S BROKEN FIX IT

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Person in charge of product versioning for Microsoft" sounds like the kind of ironic job they would give you in hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bone Crimes posted:

Post your favorite (derogatory) Microsoft product names (current or old) :

How about

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was always wild because Word and Excel for Mac were every bit as old as the Windows (and DOS) versions, going back to the earliest days. It's not like the OS X versions were completely new products that were playing catch-up on feature parity.