Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Claptain posted:

How do I use this new thread, it's different than the old one?

There's buttons missing! and only one page?! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

I am going to need to implement wired 802.1x. I am aware that this is a significant undertaking. I'm currently browsing training videos, but anybody able to offer a broad overview or any specific gotchas to watch out for?

Map your network, have a plan for security zones / segmentation (and follow it), don't be afraid to use MAB for poo poo like printers, also consider putting them in their own zone that has restricted access.

What are you doing for wireless clients?

We (corp with 3000+ employees) migrated from an old Cisco / fortinet network to an all-Extreme network over the last two years and it went relatively painless. I think the goal was 80% port automation, but they hit well over 90%, and it has mostly been label/card printers that have caused problems.

We're doing the OT network next, also moving to Extreme Fabric with NAC and 802.1x on all ports, along with microsegmentation... and I suspect it'll be fine, even with a few thousand devices across the entire city :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Need a fallback vlan for that.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A Frosty Witch posted:

A second round of interviews at my dream job just came in.

Here's hoping :unsmith:

I'm crossing my fingers :yotj:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oof, that's gonna suck.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like they got tired of you making everyone else look bad.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Renegret posted:

Sounds like it was for the better it went down this way honestly.

This, tbh.

Still lovely, but it sounds like there's a way forward.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There are problems everywhere, though. It's more interesting how they are handled by management.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We moved to VOIP years ago. It has been a mixed bag, since we are running phone traffic over three different networks across several divisions.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

divabot posted:

In the UK, copper has been declared obsolete and is being replaced, and they no longer do analogue-only phones or DSL. Fibre for all!*

* except, you know, where it's the slightest effort.

They decommissioned the copper network in Norway not long ago.

A lot of places are now on 4G/5G bullshit and that's hardly a proper replacement.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo: that's not good

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

we love then the fiber gets cut, don't we folks

We had a severed G48 (missing a few meters of fibre, even) and a G96 with damage spread across 100+ meters...

loving projects, man.

They're fixing it, but no one reported it happening, it was just dumb luck that we checked things more closely after getting reports of some services being down when they absolutely shouldn't have been, along a closed stretch of track.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Somehow, IT has managed to get a secure print system up and running and it just works. I've had very few problems with it since I started working here 1.5 years ago.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hell yeah! :yotj:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We still have some HP 2610 switches in prod. They are long-lived bastards....

We're replacing them this year.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Good on them for doing it right :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

sfwarlock posted:

Had a ticket to set up a desk yesterday for someone who was supposed to start at 7 this AM. We'd been trying to recruit this guy for awhile, and the desk requirements were very specific and high-end. Curved 43" monitor flanked by two 32"s. Ergonomic wireless keyboard. Trackball, also wireless. While we were there, Facilities was assembling one of those $1000 chairs.

It was a thing of beauty. Cable routed to within an inch of its life. Custom little wooden hut for the laptop.

As you may see coming, this morning I walked by and :

The monitors have been replaced by a 27" and a 24", the latter with a visible two-inch-long scratch on the screen, and only one power cable and no data cable.
The keyboard has been replaced by a normal wireless keyboard with dead batteries, no dongle, and enough chip crumbs to feed a family of roaches.
The trackball has been replaced by a wired mouse that was not even hooked up to anything, the cable just dropped down behind the desk, and with shiny-button syndrome.

All the cable routing, of course, has been torn apart. And -- most insulting of all -- the wooden laptop house is gone.

Locusts. I work with a bunch of loving locusts.

What the actual gently caress? How big is the office? I would hunt down the idiots who took the gear and have them fired.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's theft, fire them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Cowardly management is worse than useless.

:emptyquote:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A Frosty Witch posted:

I need to quit reading spoiler text ew ew ew

Not empty quoting.

I was out of work for a couple of days after a wisdom tooth removal. That poo poo loving sucked.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not at all?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes - DO NOT ASK FOR HELP

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Renegret posted:

Walk into my wife's work to pick up my kids and she greets me.

Hey Mr IT guy I need your help! We have this new Epson printer and-

Don't say another word. I have no follow up to that. Don't say anything else. Bye.

:fuckoff:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jaadee posted:

This waterfall of consequences is why I don't consider a load of laundry to be "done" until it's washed, dried, and out of the dryer and into something that's not a laundry basket. My partner has enough clothes that she will sometimes have a load in the washer just slowly mildewing along with treating the dryer as the final resting place for an additional load. Laundry basket is of course full of a clean load as well. It's sad the amount of tension this can create due to her not seeing anything wrong with it and me worrying that she's having anxiety or stress issues because who wants to deal with that mess all piled up.

This belongs in E/N :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had 8 years of emails in my mailbox at $oldjob when I quit :v: