Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Crossposting my post from the corporate thread because of the outcome:
I'm now being what feels like victim blamed for the Outlook on my new work laptop that IT just gave me not working.

Two different people in IT, my boss, and my wife: "Well did you change any settings?!?"
"Uh yeah I've been here 9 years, this is my third laptop that the company has given me... I did whatever I wanted with the prior two and had no issues, and was not warned that changing settings on this new laptop would cause Outlook to poo poo itself if I did crazy poo poo like "opening emails" and "scheduling meetings", so I turned off the dumbass "guess the next word I'm going to type" setting and changed a few other minor usability things."

God forbid I change a few minor settings so my current experience matches my old experience so I can work more efficiently. I'm now on my second brand new laptop in as many months and even on the new-new one, Outlook is still crashing even after I did not change any settings.

Today Microsoft word started crashing when I tried to.... open a word doc.

We found out that the issue is DNS, because we use OneDrive and IT now thinks the crashes are happening because of DNS issues we're having.
What exact version of Office do you have? Like go into About and find the full 16.234.3235443 or whatever it says. That sounds a lot like a problem I spent like a month swapping out laptops for and getting ready to elevate to HP because reimages weren't fixing it, until I discovered our Office patching method had stopped working and there was a version of Office released mid-2022 that just flat-out randomly crashes. And that just happened to be be the version pushed after a reimage then never patched. If I remember I'll find the exact version that caused problems from my work PC tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

New, from the user who brought you EMAIL:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm mostly disappointed they didn't put their preferred method of contact as Teams for the trifecta. I don't think it's in the dropdown but I feel like this is one of those users who would have somehow found a way.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Diqnol posted:

My favorite teams quirk is if a user wants a name change after theyre hired (say they want their first to be a nickname only), Teams holds the first name it grabbed for up to a freaking month because it doesn’t update its cache for personal information for a long time
Oh that's why people's O365 profile images are always so out of date in Teams.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You could potentially set up rules for common buzz words or something, but yeah Outlook-level spam filtering sucks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They reorganized my place, and my new high-up boss wants to route incoming calls to the helpdesk to the appropriate areas with ChatGPT.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It sounds like this wasn't a custom build, can you get a reset image from the manufacturer? It would be Win11 again, but at least you could see if it's stable.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We just switched to a managed print subscription at my place and it's great. Printer's broken? Call the vendor and they'll send someone out to fix or replace it. Oops, print server went down? Forward the ticket to the one guy responsible for the print server. Now we only have to support things like users who don't know how to change their default printer, or don't know how to set it to double-sided or something.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I was gonna say. At what time did you have in mind

Like ... ImageWriter II era maybe
LaserJets II through IV were good printers. It's all been downhill from there.

Honorable mention to the LaserJet 4250, as long as you didn't try to use it over that new-fangled USB port, which just didn't work.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Last week while I was out apparently the company was delivering a new printer and dropped it four feet off the back of the truck, then tried to give it to the office anyway. So it's definitely not an entirely painless solution and still requires some degree of dealing with another company's customer support at times.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got one of the classic email exchanges today.

"Is this new hire's last name spelled Smith or Smyth?"
"Yes".

It's been a while.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Check out this fire hazard I spotted the other day
I can only assume the floor heater's cord is snaking up under the desk and plugged into the top heater in some weird daisychain configuration, and the angle of the photograph just obscures it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

[SPAM] FW: RE: New Ticket - Onboarding - Urgent, starts today

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Our entire HQ campus internet went down for about 15 minutes last week because apparently AT&T was on site to do some work and just straight-up unplugged it.

Other than that the latest weird networking issue I had to deal with was machines in remote sites not being able to sign into Onedrive if it was a first-time connection. HQ machines worked fine, and remote site users with existing Onedrive continued to work fine, but if you signed onto a PC at a remote site that didn't have a preexisting cached Windows profile Onedrive would error out when trying to connect. The network team kept insisting it was an individual PC issue across multiple tickets until I finally had to demonstrate by taking a laptop that was working at HQ out to our closest remote site, deleting my profile, and having them connect remotely to watch me do the initial profile setup and see the failure themselves.

Anyway turns out the issue was that when our PCs are imaged they're getting an old version of Onedrive from like 2019, and Onedrive installs itself in the individual user's profile at first logon rather than system-wide. At HQ the first thing Onedrive did after install was go out and download an upgrade to the current version, but at all remote sites this upgrade download was getting blocked causing the error.

The network team was able to fix this but told me the block had been coming from Comcast and they had to get them to remove it, because I'm sure Comcast is regularly in the habit of blocking business customers from access to Microsoft's websites.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blinkz posted:

I've actually run into something similar with Onedrive in the last three months since the latest Onedrive update. We found that silent login and known folder move stopped working for select users on newly given pcs and laptops. After troubleshooting for a really long time I found that if my users had really old Ms365 accounts and it prompts for personal or work/school when logging in that onedrive would get confused and would not sign the user in with the default business account despite this working in older versions. If I delete or rename the old Onedrive personal account this forces Onedrive to silently sign users back in again. Problem is that I have no clue how many of my users have these old legacy accounts and when I contacted Microsoft support they told me to just try and find these users and delete the personal accounts. This may or may not be the same problem you are seeing.
Thanks but our issue was fixed just by allowing Onedrive to download the update. I don't think ours prompts for personal or work, or at least I've never seen it, it just auto-logs in with the Azure-linked computer login.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SyNack Sassimov posted:

(also "top" marks for eyesearing BGinfo design, I mean what the gently caress)
I didn't even know BGinfo could be made to look like a Geocities site.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Onboarding is not an IT task, it is a line manager task. Line manager gets the laptop and the credentials (temporary access pass if you're on board with all that) and gives them to the new hire when they turn up.
My place is moving to a new onboarding process where the managers will initiate the process by selecting all the accesses they need the new employee to have. Our constant attempts to tell them that managers have no idea what accesses are actually needed for anyone, let alone their technical names, of course fall on deaf ears.

Thanks Ants posted:

I spent half a day working with an external company on some Teams stuff, and my hot take is that Teams as a phone system is passable in a world where everybody is using headsets, doesn't really make or receive actual phone calls all that often, and you just want someone to have a number they can use to give out to tech support or whatever. If you want a telephone on a desk then it's complete poo poo, run away. Awful platform.
It seems like this is an experience every IT person either had or is going to have at some point this decade.

They just reassigned all the people that used to handle voice line stuff to managing Teams at my place. Surely that's the same skill set, right? It's all phones.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Occasionally our place will create an email with a `'` which always throws me off. Email addresses shouldn't allow quotes!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

devmd01 posted:

Guess what this accounting software uses still, somehow? There’s a god drat IE6 user agent string in the log events for the denies.
We had a web app that you had to set Edge IE mode to emulate IE 7 up until like two years ago.

I also occasionally will come across a PC that IE itself still works on, somehow, even though that Windows update that's supposed to completely disable should be installed. The users have just been dutifully clicking the same icon for "internet" for the past 20 years then put in tickets for some random website not working.

We switched away from SCCM to some third party app that manages updates, but doesn't have a manual way to force-update a PC like SCCM did so is that PC years behind on updates? Maybe, who can tell? Management likes this new software better so oh well.

sfwarlock posted:

My theory is that whoever lifted it went to the bathroom carrying it, put it on top of the urinal, did the thing, went to wash (God I hope), and forgot it was up there.
Nah, that keyboard 100% got teabagged or asscracked.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Got this in a project chat today.

This man is wise.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

gently caress that, those things are a nightmare to move between locations.

Just blow it up in place.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Closed WON'T FIX, user must die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sywert of Thieves posted:

A friend of mine used to tell tales of an ancient keyboard that has a medical COKE BOTTLE key on it.

drat.