Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A Frosty Witch posted:

I think I've finally hit the point in my career and age that my jaded outlook on everything has resulted in a personality that exudes confidence, but is mostly just me not being able to give a poo poo anymore.

I have an interview in an hour and normally I'd be pacing and tearing my hair out and rehearsing questions but today I'm finding it really hard to care.

I'm going to roll in there, put on my customer service voice, act like I want to be there, answer some questions, and then take the mask off and go back to my spreadsheets mildly annoyed that I was taken away from them in the first place.

Did I do it? Am I finally IT?

No, to be proper IT you should still be bothered and develop a drinking problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
To my mind, ghosting is just not replying to applications, or between interview rounds -- I wouldn't think of it as ghosting if they scheduled an interview and you were supposed to have it. Maybe their interviewer just forgot, which is pretty unprofessional but, you know, mistakes happen. Worth reaching out to let them know what happened, I would think?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

bell jar posted:

Not to be an rear end in a top hat but did you guys pick up the phone and call them at any point? People don't read emails

If you don't work for my company, I don't care that you "don't read emails." Sending you four emails in a two-month period is the maximum I'm going to give a poo poo about. If you don't read them, that's on you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am going to need to implement wired 802.1x. I am aware that this is a significant undertaking. I'm currently browsing training videos, but anybody able to offer a broad overview or any specific gotchas to watch out for?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We will be in that exact situation, yes. Management understands this is going to take some time and isn't going to happen everywhere all at once. I think the answer for those printers is going to be MAB, based on the video I'm watching.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We already have ISE in production, but our implementation wasn't designed/scaled for this use case. We currently do wireless auth via RADIUS using NPS on Windows Server. Guest wireless is currently shunted off into its own little corner of shame VLAN with severely proscribed access. We are very large, so this is going to be a pretty significant project for us. I'm still gathering requirements because I'm not sure that the people asking for this fully understand what they're asking for. I'm broadly supportive of the idea, but it very much needs to have its scope defined.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 14, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good to know, thanks. I am far removed from the group that handles imaging, but for sure they will not appreciate it if I render them unable to do day-to-day business. For that matter, I'm not sure if they even image things anymore, hasn't that all gone by the wayside in favor of Autopilot or whatever it's called?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's even worse than that, the CEO is lying on their forums about the cause. They're blaming "an upstream library" (ffmpeg) for the compromise.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nielsm posted:

I have some bad news for them regarding that argument...

It's not that, they aren't trying to make ffmpeg liable, it's that it's not true. Maybe the specific files from ffmpeg that are in what they distributed are compromised, but that's very different from ffmpeg's source being compromised.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know HR people reading resumes like to complain about lack of attention to detail with resume and cover letter mistakes, but you send out a million of these things and it's a wonder more of them aren't messed up. Meanwhile, the same HR person will need to send one (1) email and it will be full of errors.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I believe I read that Verizon is abandoning their copper infrastructure around here and putting in FIOS. I don't like it, I like that emergency phones used to work during power outages, but I guess regulators didn't care enough.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
HP has started loving with non-home printers too. Half the time now when our helpdesk asks me for help with a printer issue they can't figure out, I need not a password but a PIN, which they never realize they need to get. (How did they troubleshoot the device without discovering that? Great question.) Most of the time, that PIN is available from a printed report. Some of the time, it's physically printed inside a compartment on the printer. All of the time, they are no longer on site to get it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Arquinsiel posted:

Printers used to be good. Then enshittification became the business model of basically all IT companies.

Brother still makes solid laser gear, for anyone in the market.

EDIT: The Washington Post is running an entire week of printer articles and calling it "Printer Week" https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/10/printer-home-hacks-tips/

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I first saw goatse when I was in grade school and it didn't make me cry or even really bother me. I know I'm terminally online but, while I would believe they said it happened, I don't believe it really did. What kind of whiny piss babies do they hire to simulate attacks on corporate infrastructure

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I had to turn mine off to make youtube work, and oh my god the internet is a hellish nightmare of blinking bullshit and autoplaying nonsense without one.

If you must, just make an exception for YouTube, don't turn it off globally.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Congrats! Hope it's everything you want it to be.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CitizenKain posted:

I hate that I'm losing my cool on responding to people on tickets, but the thing we are getting are just wearing me down. We have a bunch of HP G5 docks for laptops, and they are plagued with problems. Biggest issue is at times, they just stop connecting to the network. DHCP fails and they can't get an address. If you disconnect the network cable and reboot them, they generally work. Or install the latest firmware which seems to fix it. It doesn't seem like they can install the firmware however, since a lot of laptops are locked down to the point they can't run the installer.
So, the incident team decided that this is a network problem, and dumps a bunch of tickets in our queue. We send them back, they wait a while, collect a bunch more tickets in a group, and redrop them in.
One of the people latched onto an old issue, where someone disconnected cables from a video conference unit, and randomly plugged them back into the network. On a Cisco room kit, there is a port used to connect to the touch pad. This port also has a dhcp server on it, so the touchpad can easily get an address. But, if you plug that port into a random network port, guess what. However, none of the sites with dock issues have a system doing that, but they won't let go.

In my experience this is just always how it is in networking. It doesn't matter how well you've documented the issue, it doesn't matter how many times you've explained the problem or literally given the responsible team the correct solution, they will always blame the network. It's considered unprofessional to ream them out, no matter how well-earned, so the cycle continues.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh for sure, if you are working for an ISP and dealing with a lot of end-user facing calls I can only imagine. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when networking folks are super sure the problem is 100% not their issue because the world isn't on fire. While that may be true 99.9% of the time, sometimes that 00.1% can be an absolute nightmare trying to get someone acknowledge and actually work on.

My position is this. I am not supposed to be the first port of call for any issue, that is supposed to be the responsibility of T1 support. If you want me to look at it, you should have either done your due diligence first or have a really, really good, borderline unimpeachable reason why you're bringing it directly to me. (Sometimes these reasons do exist, and I'm not just talking about serious outages.) If you come to me without having done any troubleshooting, I will do you the professional courtesy of taking a basic, high-level glance at it, but after that you need to go find out what's going on before you expect me to move mountains. That is because 1. I do not have time to do T1's job all the time in addition to my own, 2. 95%+ of the time, it is not a networking issue, 3. I keep getting escalations for the same issue that is not networking-related, and 4. even a high-level glance at it takes some time. And if you keep crying wolf, you are teaching me that you can't be trusted and are not responsible with other people's time.

It is 100% possible that there is a genuine networking problem that is not immediately obvious, and that my high-level check isn't going to catch, and that a deeper dive will turn up a networking-based root cause. But I simply cannot do a deep dive on every problem people bring to me. The volume of bullshit is too high and so is the number of even "IT people" who think everything is a network problem and don't know how to troubleshoot anything.

To be clear, a good helpdesk team doing troubleshooting is still going to miss things and escalate issues that are really theirs to deal with, and that is fine. I don't expect perfection. But you gotta show me that you're trying or I just do not have time for you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rorac posted:

So, any bets on what year/month some middle manager or C-level asks work IT to troubleshoot a neuralink?

I guess this would mean a technician could fry the brains of the C-suite. It's gonna be the future soon!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you started at the top of the band and everyone else got raises every year and you didn't, though, you'd be pretty sore. It's a different beast.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

sfwarlock posted:

It really doesn't help that at some point someone at google decided that ignoring part of search queries was fine and good.

I want to interact with this person in real life.

"And what will you have for your breakfast, sir?"

"I dunno, but I know I'm in the mood for sausage. What do you have with sausage?"

"Searching for breakfast with sausage. Sausage and eggs; sausage, eggs and toast; bacon, eggs and toast; bacon and black pudding; spam and eggs; spam and toast and eggs; spam, spam- "

"Wait, I said sausage!"

"Missing: sausage. Show results with sausage?"

This is extremely stupid, but you can force it to include your search term by putting it in quotes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree, that's why I said it was stupid, I'm just offering a workaround in case people don't know.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That seems like a very fair trade, everyone walked away from that a winner.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't see a VoIP thread or a Teams thread or anything, so I'm asking in here: anyone have good familiarity with Teams Direct Routing stuff? We actually have Direct Routing set up and working, in the sense that we can make calls in and out between Teams and regular phones, but we discovered a new wrinkle: when we call a Teams-enabled phone number, it rings in the app, but doesn't also ring on the physical handset.

We have a large existing VoIP deployment, Cisco top-to-bottom. CUCM is handling the calls, our physical handsets are Cisco devices, our SBC is a Cisco CUBE. It was designed by a very experienced VoIP engineer who is unfortunately no longer with us, and our current VoIP person is not as experienced. I see that Cisco handsets do not show up on the "Teams-certified devices" list, but I'm being told that that can't be the problem because... to be honest, I don't remember why they told me that can't be the problem, I think because it's "just" a VoIP call. Critically, I am not a VoIP person, but we have a small team and I'm trying to learn as I go so I can help out.

This is pretty hard to Google since you get a variety of related but different issues. Would love to be pointed in the right direction, even just knowing which piece is the likely culprit would be a big help so I could start looking in the right place. My guess is CUCM, assuming the other people are right that it doesn't matter that the Cisco phones aren't Teams-certified.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the Teams advice. This is Direct Routing, so it is not Teams-to-Teams per se. They figured it out, it had to do with the objects being in the same partition in CUCM.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The problem with Office for Mac has never been that it's a bad product. The problem with Office for Mac is that it doesn't work the same way as Office for Windows and it never has. The UI is different, the keyboard shortcuts are different, features are different. I heard once that it is or was a completely different team, but I have no idea if that's true. Moving between them is an exercise in frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ponzicar posted:

Outlook_new2(use this one)v3

Outlook Final FINAL v2