Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

As gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I managed to pick the exact hex code for orange today that when you put it into the colour picker in MSPaint it silently crashes to desktop.

Twice.

And I didn't write it down :negative:

Wait, what? Are you serious? This sounds like "grandma keeps crashing her computer but she's not computer illiterate, she's just cursed" territory.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Entropic posted:

Post your best UI buttons with bad vibes

The autocomplete in my editor half-broke last week, and now when it can't find any suggestions to put in the tooltip, it just says "No."

I'm assuming it's supposed to be "No suggestions found" or something, but it makes me smile every time it does it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I remember having only 50mb space in my mailbox in uni, and every few months warnings would come in and I had to go in and delete stupid old PowerPoint presentations I'd done for classes to make space for new ones.

This was BEFORE Gmail existed. I'm old.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

My uni email was only accessible via telnetting into a Unix server and I once had my access suspended and got called into the sysadmin's office because I replied all to a dumb email thread someone started.

:corsair:

I once got a stern talking to (as well as receiving dozens of flame emails) after I sent an email to a distribution list to literally every student on campus, asking how to install Quake on lab computers. I was not a very smart freshman.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

gently caress, Google Wave was so bad. I never got it to perform anywhere close to decent. It was always a slow laggy mess. So much for reinventing email.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

were they auctioning off eligible bachelors at a work party? :psyduck:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Sorry to hear that, Frosty Witch :(

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Teams doesn't fetch new messages if you're idle?? :psyduck:

That's insane

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A ticket just came in: make the filter more intense

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Sirotan posted:

My sovcit (and Nazi) coworker

Anyway the feds have him now and he was denied bail!

:stare: what the gently caress

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Anytime ChatGPT gets mentioned at work as relevant to use for work, I just start laughing.

It's just a program vomiting out word salad, ffs.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I mean I'm sure that, at some point, the "AI" middels of now are improved and true AI will be created. But at this moment in time, it's all just marketing bullshit, no smarter than Wolfram Alpha...a product dating back to 2009.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Years ago the wife insisted on getting smart thermostats for the radiators. I asked if we could still set the temperature if internet went down.

She lied and said yes. :smith:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Honestly when it works, it's very nice to get up and take a shower in a preheated bathroom.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

It's funny how the thread about complaining about computers suddenly rallies together to fix a computer. ❤️

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I tried that too once, but after 10-15 minutes I started to feel bad for the poor lady in India. :(

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A mod replied an hour ago:
"The team is aware of this issue and we have a fix. It's currently being tested and we're aiming for a hotfix since we see this as critical.

I'll share more details on a timeline when I have one
."

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

.... :stare: how did they check?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

Just got a call that a potential job wants to fly me out to Portland for a second interview.

That's probably a good sign, right? :ohdear:

That's great!

Mr only interaction with recruiters is annoyance, thankfully. There's one in my messages right now who claims they have great local jobs. But it's extremely obvious from the phone number and bad grammar, that this is in fact, an American using Google Translate, for unknown reasons.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There is a place for expert systems, tools designed explicitly for a task like analyzing code or rapidly prototype novel drug combos. But these Bayesian word salad-spinners ain't that.

LLMs were brought up in our company a few months ago, and one of my senior co-workers said he used it to explain a piece of code to him. This is such a bad idea that I had a million things to say about it uit, but I was unable to accurately convey my :stare: into words.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

It's a language model, not a code linter/analyzer. It knows nothing about writing computer code, it just heard people talk about it online and parrots the information. It's a language model.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yes! Congratulations!! 🎉🎉🎉

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm fully invested in Do Nothing December now. I think the last three meetings I've joined I said hello at the start and then goodbye at the end, and sat on mute playing PlayStation the rest of the time.

We're in Europe, but wife works at a huge intl corporation and the Americans are already telling her "happy holidays" since December 7th. They're truly ahead of the curve on doing gently caress all in December.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

After the regime change 4 months ago, someone who was once my peer (albeit in another field) is now my manager. I've since learned that they are absolutely not a good manager. I'm being judged on how many hours I keep my face glued to my screen every day, instead of how well I do my job. Normally I am away from my screen every WFH Tuesday for an hour after lunch to run a personal errand, this has never been a problem. They've decided to make it their personal vendetta and give me a deadline of 'Christmas' to stop doing this and 'be available for coming into the office, or else'. Their managent style is so oppressive, unreasonable and unexpected, that I'm back to being scared of clicking their emails in my inbox, for fear of it being bad news (and it has, consistently). I want to bring this up to upper management, but they're unavailable until January.

It's honestly so demoralizing that I've switched my LI profile to 'looking for work', while I write the first few drafts of my email to the boss and trying to find ways to ask them in polite terms to ask my manager to loving stop giving me stress ulcers.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A giant clusterfuck is about to happen at my job. Multiple senior-level programmers leaving together due to recent very bad management. It's going to be fun to see if it's triggered or not. Good thing I've already put out some feelers in LinkedIn. :allears:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

All those companies that make spyware to monitor remote workers' laptops are getting ideas. They'll be detecting poo poo breaks based on the neurons firing off that control the sphincter.

Two words: unskippable ads.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm ready for Windows Moon 🌛

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The email rfc also specifies emails can have a bunch of really stupid characters that nobody ever uses, forcing programmers to use insanely long regex's to validate emails, when it should just be *@*.* :colbert:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

wolrah posted:

Just to be pedantic though, technically you need to go to *@* to cover all valid internet email addresses. There are a couple of TLDs for which the root has an A or MX record, which is no longer allowed but was in the past so they're grandfathered in.

RFC 6531 adds UTF-8 to SMTP and 6532 adds it to email headers making any non-ASCII Unicode string up to 64 octets valid for the "local-part" (username) and any valid IDN for the domain side.

These are the kind of stupid exceptions and special cases that make 'accurate' regex's for email addresses so complicated. :(

^.+@.+\..+$ should cover it, screw it.

vvv I love it. It's my superpower.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 14, 2024

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I just learned that my spare Chromecast does not work on wifi networks with a captive portal. I've also spent enough time trying to find workarounds for this that I realized I've learned this on at least 2 other occasions before. I hate my stupid brain. :smith:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

minusX posted:

Setup a travel router that you can use that is already all configured for the chromecast and will allow you to bring both together to have the access you need without having to change the network it's connecting to each time. Allows your other devices to do the same as a bonus.

That's one of the workarounds I found, but it requires a network cable to plug into the router, no idea where that thing is or if it has a free port. It's a clever solution though.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

DST sucks and I want to stop changing my loving clocks twice a year. I don't care what the clock says when the sun rises or sets, either permanently on or off is fine.

The current 3-week period where the US is on summer time ,while the rest of the world is still on winter time, is the stupidest result of DST ever.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

johnny park posted:

No, he just created a rule to try to forward all his emails to his cell number. Which of course didn't work. And then the first bounceback notification also got forwarded, which created a new bounceback message, etc

What a pioneer, he created his own personal email tsunami. No reply-all torrent to a badly configured email list needed!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

MIL gave me her old laptop to convert into a Chromebook for my children. It has only 32GB hdd and 4GB of ram. Stuck on Win8 because the Win10 upgrade fails due to the small hdd. Sounds like a fun project to me. Is it doable?

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 31, 2024

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

You guys are no fun. I guess I should've asked in the homebrew thread or some poo poo, instead of the Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes. :(

e: ah two more replies came up while i was typing this out that are a bit more positive. 👍

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes - DO NOT ASK FOR HELP

I did not expect to be the next thread title. :golfclap:

Anyway this laptop is super locked down, and I can't even boot from my thumbdrive or get into the BIOS. Upgrading the ram also seems impossible. It's perfect for ChromeOS!

e: update I got into the bios and it's installing ChromeOS Flex now. Suck it, HP.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 1, 2024

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Anyway this laptop is super locked down, and I can't even boot from my thumbdrive or get into the BIOS. Upgrading the ram also seems impossible. It's perfect for ChromeOS!

e: update I got into the bios and it's installing ChromeOS Flex now. Suck it, HP.

Almost forgot to update the thread on this boring issue of mine. Everything worked out fine and it works great, except for the one problem that you can't enable "login by pin" on ChromeOS on unofficial hardware. Now I have to either change my kids' Google passwords to something they can memorize, or let them have safe passwords.

So far I haven't found a way to hack it so pin login is enabled.

Thanks, cynical buttholes! :buddy:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

"Yak shaving" sticks better, especially when you link them to Hal changing a lightbulb.

Bryan Cranston is a great educator, after all.

I usually have this at home during chores, not at work.

Before I plop on the couch, I need to put a load in the washing machine.

But it's already full, I need to empty it first and put it out to dry

But the dryer is already full, I need to take that out first.

But the washing bin is already full, I need to fold that first.

etc