Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I made a similar joke a few years ago and got a sixer for it, so uh tread carefully I guess. (Not intended to relitigate the probe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

lol, I knew that was going to come up and I don't blame you. I couldn't remember who it was.

I still don't love the joke, tbh, but it feels like less of a stretch. I dunno. In short, modding is a world of contrasts and at least it was only a 6er I guess.

[edit: Now I remember, I think what pushed it over the edge for me was that it was something along the lines of buying a Brother. Again, I dunno. I do still think it's a tread carefully kind of thing.]

Yeah I think it was Bob "COVID isn't that serious" Morales who posted something like "I just bought a Brother for $59" and I said something like "jesus dude that's been illegal for 150 years what the gently caress is wrong with you". I was fine with the probe and:

RFC2324 posted:

Its the kind of joke thats risky because it has to make every button haver who sees it laugh or you eat a probe

That said, sometimes its worth the risk for comedy

this, basically. Anyway the real joke is Internet Explorer.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I'm trying to tell myself this as well, but your job right now is finding a new job. NOT doing any more than the bare loving minimum for the company that technically employs you right now. You just have to work on not caring about being perceived as doing a bad job by the clients for your current company, because unless they would be people you're working with at the next company, it doesn't matter. I'm finding that mentally accepting being perceived as doing a bad job (which as we're in a service industry, all of us are theoretically doing our best to get the exact opposite reaction), is REALLY difficult, but at some point it is better for you and your mental health to be OK with that for the time being if it gets you to a new place.

You got this, you will find a new place, and it will be better.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't absolve you.

Are you suggesting it's still some of her concern?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Crossposting my post from the corporate thread because of the outcome:
I'm now being what feels like victim blamed for the Outlook on my new work laptop that IT just gave me not working.

Two different people in IT, my boss, and my wife: "Well did you change any settings?!?"
"Uh yeah I've been here 9 years, this is my third laptop that the company has given me... I did whatever I wanted with the prior two and had no issues, and was not warned that changing settings on this new laptop would cause Outlook to poo poo itself if I did crazy poo poo like "opening emails" and "scheduling meetings", so I turned off the dumbass "guess the next word I'm going to type" setting and changed a few other minor usability things."

God forbid I change a few minor settings so my current experience matches my old experience so I can work more efficiently. I'm now on my second brand new laptop in as many months and even on the new-new one, Outlook is still crashing even after I did not change any settings.

Today Microsoft word started crashing when I tried to.... open a word doc.

We found out that the issue is DNS, because we use OneDrive and IT now thinks the crashes are happening because of DNS issues we're having.

Posting bullshit like this in this thread at 4:54 on a Friday....yeah pretty much tracks with the rest of your post.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

We got a sharp one here folks:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sywert of Thieves posted:

were they auctioning off eligible bachelorettes at a work party? :psyduck:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

i am a moron posted:

You don’t refer to that as ‘buying’ someone it’s usually just ‘my company is doing a merger’

Yeah but the difference here is that the selling company essentially sold RFC as part of the merger, i.e. promised she and her knowledge would be part of the sale. I'd call that more selling someone than a merger, because they appear to have straight up said "yeah we're selling you this product and also the expertise of the employee who knows it best", without actually, y'know, consulting her upfront about it.

Which absolutely puts her in the position to say "yeah the 10 of your $110k offer is fine but you're gonna need to increase the first digit thanks".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tactlessbastard posted:

I have sent to many, many people a poo poo report

Seems about right for a tactless bastard tbh

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I am broadly in support of all these companies making home user printers so hostile to their owners that companies cannot reliably expect people to have printing facilities available to them.

:same:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

:bravo:

(LAPS creds that are on a week cycle but just so happened to expire today)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ponzicar posted:

Search engines are already becoming increasingly useless as the majority of the results are AI generated keyword filled nonsense. We're going to see a return of webrings.

That would be good, because usually all I see posted is "no ring".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Drink and Fight posted:

I used AI to write answers to the bullshit fluff questions on my annual self-eval last month. I highly suspect AI wrote those questions in the first place.

And this is how the world ends, not with a bang but an ouroboros of AI generated poo poo.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I had to turn mine off to make youtube work, and oh my god the internet is a hellish nightmare of blinking bullshit and autoplaying nonsense without one.

Try logging out and/or switching to Firefox (which interestingly enough also allowed Twitter to load again, though whether that's a good thing or not is arguable). And yes, I have ublock origin and ghostery installed in Firefox, as well as running through VPN.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dragonshardz posted:

I would much rather hear about Frosty Witch's interview than keep talking about stochastic parrots.

the gently caress did you say about my posting?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kurieg posted:

"You have on here a Buffalo Nass at 192.164.0.1?"

"I see also a Ray D'Zeroh, located at 2 US Bee Drive? That sounds a bit odd but OK - is there a good time for us to speak with Ray?"

edit: it says here you have extensive experience in dealing with the difficulties of CE? We don't make hardware here so I don't think we'll need to make use of getting anything certified with that mark, but thanks for letting us know I guess?

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 14, 2023

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

An insanity came in. Backstory, client we took on last year that is an absolute clusterfuck (a few small companies slammed into one slightly larger small company). One of these now business units runs an ancient AD infrastructure managed by a real dinguswaffle of an MSP - we took one look and said get rid of all this immediately and shift to Azure, it doesn't even reach the status of security "hole" because there is effectively no security whatsoever due to insane boneheaded AD configurations. They said "uh huh uh huh sure, right, but what if we followed none of your recommendations and made no changes whatsoever? OK great!" So at this point we're kind of just going along for the ride and collecting the checks until they fire us - everything is terrible and broken but they don't want to change any of it so .....not much we can do.

Anyway, a ticket about not finding Quickbooks on the remote desktop server came in:

Yep, that sure is a DC you've logged into there my friend. Turns out when some MSP moron adds "Domain Users" to "Domain Admins", and then you, idiot user, put "DOMAIN\username" as the server address for your RDP connection, that resolves as expected to a DC which says you want to RDP in? Let's see - oh, yep, you're a domain admin so no problem, here you go!

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

(also "top" marks for eyesearing BGinfo design, I mean what the gently caress)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

Sorry, DC, Backup AND, Terminal Server? Is this their only server?

Nope! These are all VMs on one or two physical hosts.

Basically there's always more and it's always worse, which is why after 15 minutes of looking at this domain setup we said "no. just no. There is no point fixing any of this, it's so hosed up we will never be confident we undid all the bad stuff and in 2023 you should be moving to Azure/Intune anyway".

Lemme just say it again, Domain Users is added to Domain Admins.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

if you enter domain\user in the hostname field it will interpret domain as a netbios host name which I think will be whatever DC is serving your dns

Yeah, pinging the domain name will generally get you a return ping from the domain controller (assuming ping is open).

So much of this setup reminds me of why I was more than happy to leave complex AD configurating in the past where it belongs. Like, I could try and unfuck it, but why bother when a solution exists that doesn't rely on Sonicwall VPN for remote users to access infrastructure, or external systems to tie into identity? (and that they're half paying for anyway because they have Office 365 app licenses?)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be one piece of software didn't work as a standard user 15 years ago so everybody is an admin now

:hmmyes:

Yeah I mean I have not delved farther into it because it is quite literally not worth my time to troubleshoot any of this horror, but while I don't have any actual evidence, given the interactions we've had with this MSP so far, it's absolutely because "fuckshit, gently caress, this doesn't work, uhhhhhhhhh.....gently caress....uhhhhhh..........hey what if I make them all domain admins OK phew it works problem solved hey everyone I fixed it!"

As far as worst AD setups I've seen in my career it's pretty close between this one and the one at a tool manufacturer that you've all heard of (sells at Home Depot/Lowes) where there were five domain controllers and three of them were simply missing (were no longer physically in existence), and of these three non-existent DCs two held all the FSMO roles, and the remaining active domain controllers were Windows Server 2000. (This was in 2018. They were also both physical boxes and I'm pretty sure one of them was a Compaq).

edit to add: :stonklol:, thinking back on that (also my reaction at the time)

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 12, 2024

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I like the metaness of the thread title in that as with all ticket subjects, it's incorrect since the keyboard was found ON the urinal.

To be clear, I'm saying leave it as is, it's far better this way.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hotel Kpro posted:

Was someone banking on DST being a thing of the past in 2024?

I mean .....it SHOULD be.

(as in we should move to permanent DST)

(if you live in the north I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but darkness ain't one)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dragonshardz posted:

DST is stupid.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with my position that we should not change times twice a year, or disagreeing with setting the permanent time to the shifted-forward-an-hour one. If it's the former, :hfive:, if it's the latter, :wrong:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes would be a great thread title.

No because people might come in here and start actually asking helpdesk questions, which as a proud card-carrying jaded cynical butthole I want to prevent at all costs. This thread should never have any variant of the word "help" in its title.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

rndmnmbr posted:

Oh good, a helpdesk thread, I had some questions I need to ask.

I found a thumbdrive in the parking lot, I plugged it in to see what was on it. It was just something about my files and something about sending a bit coin? Anyways, I can't open the q1 financial statement now and it's due in the morning. I checked my boss's desk, and there was a post-it with a system administrator login and password, I tried it and it can't open the statement either, and there has to be something wrong because I opened a bunch of random folders and tried random files and none of them will open either. Can you help me, I'm going to be in so much trouble from my boss if I don't get the statement done on time.

Please do the needful.

See Internet Explorer? I told you about naming this thread, bro! I warned you dog!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

mllaneza posted:

I've been pushing awareness of the XY Problem at work. Raising awareness of those are a goal for the year. Coincidentally, the non-lab support side of the team is getting trained up on Consultancy, so we should be able to solve a lot more real problems and do a lot less chasing rabbits.

Your lab works with rabbits? Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Multiple things can be true.

Absolutely not. I have not ever and will not ever delete emails. I have more important things to do than janitor my inbox.

GreenNight posted:

Email is not file storage.

GreenNight posted:

Although with O365 who gives a poo poo now.

To be clear, I mean email still shouldn't be used as file storage, but I also don't give half the poo poo I used to when I was running Exchange.