Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Randomly picking an anime from the 80's: Woah, bare titties! :blush:

Randomly picking an anime from today: Woah, slavery! :ohdear:

also i liked chrono trigger, but it's not as good as final fantasy 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i simply dont watch shows i'm going to put on 10x fast forward and rate in terms of number of frames i paid attention to. i watch things where i will view them with my eyes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Colonel posted:

i simply dont watch shows i'm going to put on 10x fast forward and rate in terms of number of frames i paid attention to. i watch things where i will view them with my eyes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Colonel posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suzera posted:

Yeah, the common highlight bad things are just unfunny bad, and the rest of the bad is usually along the lines of a mostly unnotable "this is boring, time to stop or begin liberally using the skip forward button to watch at 5-10x speed until it maybe gets to something interesting I'm expecting to see or can't predict". Like most serialized tv series or movies, anime or not.

I dunno about other people, but something mostly bland but mostly inoffensive like Reborn to Master the Sword I might get through in 20% of the runtime after I know the character gags and which of the specific plot beats or animation sequences I might actually want to see. If I don't just abandon it because I don't think those bits will pay off. In this case it mostly did for what I put into it that I'm satisfied enough to not have regrets, but I would never ever watch the whole thing at regular speed/no skipping because it's so repetitive and predictable.

Gay Revolution Princesses, as much as I enjoyed most of the parts I watched in terms of runtime frames I saw, I think I only actually put eyes on 70-75% of the frames. Notably, I don't need 10-15 minutes of heavy frontloaded foreshadowing that someone's a mythical creature, then dragging out the reveal when it's pretty quickly apparent who and what it's about and not much other new ground is really being explored.
i mean this sincerely when i say what you are doing is monstrous to a level that i feel sympathy even for the animators of the slave isekai stuff and i sincerely hope you find some way to fix whatever it is that makes you do this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pacing? tone? purpose? whats that

*speeds up the elevator scenes in evangelion*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mons Hubris posted:

The only thing I remember about Chrono Trigger was beating that metal chump Gato

Beat me up and get 20 silver points

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if you have to skip scenes in a show or fast forward through it why are you bothering

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sakurazuka posted:

Beat me up and get 20 silver points

It was 15 silver points, I wish it were 20, that'd be easier to get all the upgraded equipment without grinding Gato for an hour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat it

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

The Colonel posted:

I skim probably boring/predictable segments and read the subtitles instead with basically everything v0v

I dunno when I last watched a thing where I didn't skim at least some of it if I had the controls to do so. I'm not gonna use my time on some 5 minute segment that seems like it's not really going to be interesting if I can help it.

Endorph posted:

pacing? tone? purpose? whats that

*speeds up the elevator scenes in evangelion*
People have different preferences for things like pacing, and sometimes it's a thing where most people might agree it's bad anyway. But also I didn't skip the eva elevator scenes. What I mean is more things that go like:

"Lets open this book to the vampires page and talk about it for 4 minutes"
*next scene*
"Someone has mysterious powers. Lets talk about this for 3 minutes." it's vaguely like the thing from book from before
*next scene*
thing with vampire powers happens for 5 minutes or something. wow surprise. at least there's some kind of reveal here, but it was still so long through this whole segment
*next scene*
"Ok if we just unlock your magic chakras hey where did you get those fangs and red eyes" this took a few more minutes

This was just way too long for something that went pretty close to one of my main predictions in the first 30 seconds. And the interesting part wasn't even really that she was a vampire or the vampire stuff generally (at least as far as the show got), it's that she was being unknowingly used in the prince/noble's scheme.

Southern Cassowary posted:

if you have to skip scenes in a show or fast forward through it why are you bothering
To continue the magirevo example, because stuff like the Al/Anis fight and interactions, or the relationship between Anis and Euphy is worth it. That's what I was staying around for, and definitely it didn't disappoint in those regards. Lainie nearly completely failed to capture my heart and interest, and so far every time she's come up it's a battle in my thoughts between "is she going to be interesting yet?" and "again?".

I don't have to skim around. But like, why not if there's some character or plot arc I don't find particularly enjoyable and I can still get enough gist for the bits that matter for the things I am interested in? In a lot of these cases it's like beating the main story vs 100%ing all the sidequests a game.

Do I really need to sit through the 10th repetition of "Chris and Rani each eat enough food for 20 adult humans" while the same 4 characters are like "whoa you eat a lot maybe you should eat like a normal person"? No not really. Do I want to watch Chris accidentally field goal kick a 300 year old napoleon tyrant elf trying to exploit or murder all their lessers out of the kingdom and possibly into space? Hell yeah I do.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 30, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Them eating tons of food got funnier every time so yeah I do

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Sakurazuka posted:

It did get some chuckles. But it got a bit eh after a bit for me since it came up so often, at least until minorest of spoilers but it's at the end of the show and might undermine the entertainment value the last buffet reward from the king that was supposed to be for Chris's promotion to general but the buffet is something she wanted more.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 30, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if I just want to get the gist of a story, I just read the wikipedia entry

it's made more than one person mad that I know what happens in Game of Thrones without seeing a single episode

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sometimes I watch youtube videos at 1.5x speed if the guy talks really really slowly or something, but I can't imagine doing that for something with actual pacing, music, etc. It'd just become nonsensical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suzera posted:

*next scene*
"Someone has mysterious powers. Lets talk about this for 3 minutes." it's vaguely like the thing from book from before
*next scene*
thing with vampire powers happens for 5 minutes or something. wow surprise. at least there's some kind of reveal here, but it was still so long through this whole segment
*next scene*
"Ok if we just unlock your magic chakras hey where did you get those fangs and red eyes" this took a few more minutes

This was just way too long for something that went pretty close to one of my main predictions in the first 30 seconds. And the interesting part wasn't even really that she was a vampire or the vampire stuff generally (at least as far as the show got), it's that she was being unknowingly used in the prince/noble's scheme.
please stop talking to me, posting in this subforum, or watching anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also fluff should unpin this one and pin the next season's thread

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

sb hermit posted:

if I just want to get the gist of a story, I just read the wikipedia entry

it's made more than one person mad that I know what happens in Game of Thrones without seeing a single episode
I just use the left/right arrow skip function and speedread all the subtitles when I'm doing this for a segment. But without as much danger of future spoilers for the parts I'm not going to be doing this with.

There have been a couple times I was just like "ok, that's enough" when I get through an entire episode with nothing of interest and just went to read a wiki entry and looked up a few specific clips before putting it down though.

Captain Invictus posted:

Sometimes I watch youtube videos at 1.5x speed if the guy talks really really slowly or something, but I can't imagine doing that for something with actual pacing, music, etc. It'd just become nonsensical.
I don't fastforward. But you can definitely keep things sensical if you're speedreading all the dry talking head exposition or cutting down very long but fairly static establishing shots. Or for instance if fight scenes are kind of boring and not really characterful, which is occasionally a problem like with some of the DC Netflix series, skimming those to figure out where everyone ends up before moving on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have a question

do you have multiple monitors, multitask, or look at your phone while also watching something else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagining a dude watching anime with family guy and that subway runner game in the corner like those insane tiktoks

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

I have a question

do you have multiple monitors, multitask, or look at your phone while also watching something else
Almost never if it's a narrative thing. If I do anything else I'm always having to rewind because I completely miss things constantly and will definitely lose plot thread and be lost. Sometimes distraction happens anyway then when I get back I'm usually like "what even happened" and I have to go back to when I got diverted. If I'm watching a tv showlike thing, especially if it's a serial or a movie which are also the things I tend to watch, it's usually the only thing I'm trying to pay attention to.

The only video things I might background watch are basically twitch streams or things where the video part is mostly irrelevant.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm a habitual phone looker but I wish I wasn't.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Invictus posted:

it wasn't a trashy isekai. It was a perfectly fine slice of life isekai series that a dozen volumes in introduces slavery where it wasn't there before. I understand being disappointed by that.

Okay, controversial but I honestly think the problem is that some viewers are unable to identify trashiness except for slavery. Like, the actual slavery itself may come out of nowhere, but the actual writing and tone and general vibe of these shows are all exactly the same. So the careless viewer doesn't realize that they're watching bottom of the barrel isekai trash until it slaps them in the face with it.

And/or you like trash.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean this sincerely when i say what you are doing is monstrous to a level that i feel sympathy even for the animators of the slave isekai stuff and i sincerely hope you find some way to fix whatever it is that makes you do this

Endorph posted:

please stop talking to me, posting in this subforum, or watching anime

Going to be real here, this is maybe a teensy bit over the line when someone is talking about how their attention span issues affect their media consumption habits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, i hate people with adhd, add, dhda, ddha, and ddlc

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do you think the lack of media literacy in society is a consequence of consume culture or is it the other way around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not something our schools have any real interest in teaching so its no real surprise that people dont have it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

thats hosed up

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Suzera posted:

I skim probably boring/predictable segments and read the subtitles instead with basically everything v0v

I dunno when I last watched a thing where I didn't skim at least some of it if I had the controls to do so. I'm not gonna use my time on some 5 minute segment that seems like it's not really going to be interesting if I can help it.

People have different preferences for things like pacing, and sometimes it's a thing where most people might agree it's bad anyway. But also I didn't skip the eva elevator scenes. What I mean is more things that go like:

*next scene*
*next scene*
*next scene*

To continue the magirevo example, because stuff like the Al/Anis fight and interactions, or the relationship between Anis and Euphy is worth it. That's what I was staying around for, and definitely it didn't disappoint in those regards. Lainie nearly completely failed to capture my heart and interest, and so far every time she's come up it's a battle in my thoughts between "is she going to be interesting yet?" and "again?".

I don't have to skim around. But like, why not if there's some character or plot arc I don't find particularly enjoyable and I can still get enough gist for the bits that matter for the things I am interested in? In a lot of these cases it's like beating the main story vs 100%ing all the sidequests a game.

Do I really need to sit through the 10th repetition of "Chris and Rani each eat enough food for 20 adult humans" while the same 4 characters are like "whoa you eat a lot maybe you should eat like a normal person"? No not really. Do I want to watch Chris accidentally field goal kick a 300 year old napoleon tyrant elf trying to exploit or murder all their lessers out of the kingdom and possibly into space? Hell yeah I do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

Yeah those literature club girls have a few psychoses they need to work on.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

imagining a dude watching anime with family guy and that subway runner game in the corner like those insane tiktoks

got incredibly mad when i realized someone had already made this joke while i was halfway through making that image btw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

got incredibly mad when i realized someone had already made this joke while i was halfway through making that image btw

lol

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

Going to be real here, this is maybe a teensy bit over the line when someone is talking about how their attention span issues affect their media consumption habits.
I didn't begin in that context, so I wouldn't hold it against Endorph. Though after Captain Invictus's question it kind of makes me wonder a bit.

Erg posted:

I didn't know the original reference so this was way funnier to me anyway lol. Thank you for your persistence even through the flames of rage.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 30, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clarste posted:

Okay, controversial but I honestly think the problem is that some viewers are unable to identify trashiness except for slavery. Like, the actual slavery itself may come out of nowhere, but the actual writing and tone and general vibe of these shows are all exactly the same. So the careless viewer doesn't realize that they're watching bottom of the barrel isekai trash until it slaps them in the face with it.

And/or you like trash.

I like trash fantasy animes (a lot of which just happen to be isekais) but I also used to read a ton of trash fantasy novels and comics when I was a kid back in the 80s and 90s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Strange Quark posted:

Do you think the lack of media literacy in society is a consequence of consume culture or is it the other way around
Honestly, I think folks have difficulty identifying with things and it stems from stuff like "ugh man this Shakespeare poo poo is such a pain"/"I read the sparknotes for Great Expectations so I'm good".

Plus, the ubiquity of the internet allows for more ways to de-engage, with less of a commitment than, say, reading a book.

Suzera posted:

People have different preferences for things like pacing,
Word.

My wife will do insane things like FF through segments or plain mute the TV if it's a commercial. "What if you miss something!" 'Eh, I can get the gist of it later'

I've also had friends just not care about spoilers for stuff/read a wiki summary for something they're currently watching.

Completely foreign to me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly, I think folks have difficulty identifying with things and it stems from stuff like "ugh man this Shakespeare poo poo is such a pain"/"I read the sparknotes for Great Expectations so I'm good".

Plus, the ubiquity of the internet allows for more ways to de-engage, with less of a commitment than, say, reading a book.

When your competing with phones that kids have grown up with where they can be bombarded with entertainment in seconds, asking them to sit still and pay attention is killer. Even when forced to watch something the worst will just disengage by sleeping and then wonder why they can’t recall the plot of something when asked.

I showed “The Hollow Crown” adaptation of Henry IVth Part 1 to a class and some of them were interested in events and found Falstaff funny. So there’s hope for some people!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've mentioned this before but my brother watches anime on 2X speed so he can read the subtitles faster and watch more episodes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Black Stones posted:

When your competing with phones that kids have grown up with where they can be bombarded with entertainment in seconds, asking them to sit still and pay attention is killer.
Oh, this reminds me of something!

I watched a video of a teacher feeling completely burnt out after coming back from quarantine, since they felt a huge disconnect between the class and her teaching. They usually had a huge hit with a project they implemented, where the kids would get really involved and motivated and the class would be buzzing.

But after quarantine, the kids spent like 20 minutes with it and then just checked out. No buy in whatsoever.

Someone else chimed in with the fact that they'd been home watching videos of poo poo like "dad builds a giant igloo in the backyard out of Legos". There's virtually nothing a teacher could do to compete with that.

Unless...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the issue is that the insane person is watching things for the sake of watching them rather than because they might enjoy it. Nowadays with so much stuff competing for my very limited time between nursing and sleeping I try not to watch things out of inertia. Can’t understand fast forwarding bits tho.

Sakurazuka posted:

Anime girls eating lots of food ftw

symbolic posted:

i would make good jokes rather than rehashed jokes, personally

Oh? When are you planning to start doing that? :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Namtab posted:

I think the issue is that the insane person is watching things for the sake of watching them rather than because they might enjoy it. Nowadays with so much stuff competing for my very limited time between nursing and sleeping I try not to watch things out of inertia. Can’t understand fast forwarding bits tho.
I hope that person is a teenager or at most in college, otherwise I would think they got into the wrong loving hobby