Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

someone should sticky the spring thread and let this one end, save us please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
You know you could just, ask instead of making incorrect and angry assumptions about people that enjoy things a different way than you do. lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

No

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think all who have a love for anime in their hearts and souls should be welcomed and celebrated here, regardless of what bizarre and upsetting process they use to watch

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have pretty severe ADHD and I've never upped the playback speed on anything I was watching recreationally, that seems very strange to me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

I have pretty severe ADHD and I've never upped the playback speed on anything I was watching recreationally, that seems very strange to me.

Same, if anything I go back and rewatch stuff because i spaced for a moment and missed what was happening

Usually the effect ADHD has on my viewing habits though is starting a show and then leaving to do something else 1/4th of the way through the first episode (I say I'll pick it back up later but I never do)

That being said if someone wants to watch their anime in the form of discrete clips they couldn't easily find on youtube, they are still an anime brother in arms

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 30, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Suzera posted:

I skim probably boring/predictable segments and read the subtitles instead with basically everything v0v

I dunno when I last watched a thing where I didn't skim at least some of it if I had the controls to do so. I'm not gonna use my time on some 5 minute segment that seems like it's not really going to be interesting if I can help it.

People have different preferences for things like pacing, and sometimes it's a thing where most people might agree it's bad anyway. But also I didn't skip the eva elevator scenes. What I mean is more things that go like:

"Lets open this book to the vampires page and talk about it for 4 minutes"
*next scene*
"Someone has mysterious powers. Lets talk about this for 3 minutes." it's vaguely like the thing from book from before
*next scene*
thing with vampire powers happens for 5 minutes or something. wow surprise. at least there's some kind of reveal here, but it was still so long through this whole segment
*next scene*
"Ok if we just unlock your magic chakras hey where did you get those fangs and red eyes" this took a few more minutes

This was just way too long for something that went pretty close to one of my main predictions in the first 30 seconds. And the interesting part wasn't even really that she was a vampire or the vampire stuff generally (at least as far as the show got), it's that she was being unknowingly used in the prince/noble's scheme.

To continue the magirevo example, because stuff like the Al/Anis fight and interactions, or the relationship between Anis and Euphy is worth it. That's what I was staying around for, and definitely it didn't disappoint in those regards. Lainie nearly completely failed to capture my heart and interest, and so far every time she's come up it's a battle in my thoughts between "is she going to be interesting yet?" and "again?".

I don't have to skim around. But like, why not if there's some character or plot arc I don't find particularly enjoyable and I can still get enough gist for the bits that matter for the things I am interested in? In a lot of these cases it's like beating the main story vs 100%ing all the sidequests a game.

Do I really need to sit through the 10th repetition of "Chris and Rani each eat enough food for 20 adult humans" while the same 4 characters are like "whoa you eat a lot maybe you should eat like a normal person"? No not really. Do I want to watch Chris accidentally field goal kick a 300 year old napoleon tyrant elf trying to exploit or murder all their lessers out of the kingdom and possibly into space? Hell yeah I do.

pretend i posted the Hurt gif Colonel uses

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

imagining someone like this trying to watch something like Come and See and my knife is real lonely right now

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Black Stones posted:

When your competing with phones that kids have grown up with where they can be bombarded with entertainment in seconds, asking them to sit still and pay attention is killer. Even when forced to watch something the worst will just disengage by sleeping and then wonder why they can’t recall the plot of something when asked.

I showed “The Hollow Crown” adaptation of Henry IVth Part 1 to a class and some of them were interested in events and found Falstaff funny. So there’s hope for some people!

noted new phenomenon "kids falling asleep in class when bored"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually i guess this does answer my question about how you could have watched literally every fantasy anime if you just weren't really watching large chunks of them

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ninjewtsu posted:

I think all who have a love for anime in their hearts and souls should be welcomed and celebrated here, regardless of what bizarre and upsetting process they use to watch

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

My wife will do insane things like FF through segments or plain mute the TV if it's a commercial. "What if you miss something!" 'Eh, I can get the gist of it later'

given how obnoxious commercials are, I wouldn't fault anyone for muting them and I actively do it myself

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

what is that game on the right that people keep referencing in order to increase attention spans?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sb hermit posted:

what is that game on the right that people keep referencing in order to increase attention spans?

Sucondese II

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

symbolic posted:

Sucondese II

Pardon me but I've never heard of "Sucondese II" or "Suck On These Two" could you please explain

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
If you only read half the letters it's "scones". English tea parties have been shown to increase attention spans and working memory capacity slightly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly I don't have the attention span to watch anime anymore so I don't, but I don't have that problem with manga or games.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my attention span problems with anime are amplified 10x with manga

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

symbolic posted:

noted new phenomenon "kids falling asleep in class when bored"

I’m not claiming it’s new, but I am claiming that even just a video can’t compete for attention spans. The video has to constantly be exciting to them or yes, they get bored.

This is the problem with trying to teach media literacy and analysis because it’s asking you to pay attention, even when things get a bit slow, because it has meaning. However if your response is “well imma intentionally make myself fall asleep now” of course you’re not going to make an effort to engage with your entertainment. I’m not saying YouTube/TikTok has caused this but I’m saying it’s greatly exacerbated the situation. I watched Inception with a class for fun after we were close to finishing a film study because it has some cool moments in it (like the hallway fight) and I had people going “I have no idea what’s happening” because they tuned out when guns weren’t firing. They didn’t hate the film, they seemed to like it but heck if they could tell me even character names because they didn’t care.

Zipping through things we watch at 2x speed is just an evolution of this. Can’t be bored if it goes by super fast!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I heard that all the kids are playing chess on their phones these days.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

After reading the last few pages I’ve felt the overwhelming urge to unsticky this thread and stick the new one

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you are hosed up and evil

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

littleorv posted:

After reading the last few pages I’ve felt the overwhelming urge to unsticky this thread and stick the new one

Ty

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Buddy Daddies was great, probably show of the season for me since I felt Magi revo had major pacing problems.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tae posted:

Buddy Daddies was great, probably show of the season for me since I felt Magi revo had major pacing problems.

some of the animation in that last fight was so loving cool.

ending ended up being happy and sort of as expected, forget who said it but someone even called the timeskip.

absolutely weird how they brought miri's mom back, have her die, and handwave the entire thing. felt like it didn't really add much to the overall story.

overall i liked it, had a few writing issues but it was a fun romp that delivers what you want on "two hitmen living together have to raise a young girl" almost to a t.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was a nice touch that they didn't really focus on it, but Rei's right arm is completely limp throughout the epilogue

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Southern Cassowary posted:

some of the animation in that last fight was so loving cool.

ending ended up being happy and sort of as expected, forget who said it but someone even called the timeskip.

absolutely weird how they brought miri's mom back, have her die, and handwave the entire thing. felt like it didn't really add much to the overall story.

overall i liked it, had a few writing issues but it was a fun romp that delivers what you want on "two hitmen living together have to raise a young girl" almost to a t.

I called it :v: but then again they did pull the same trick for Akiba Maid War. It's nice though so can't complain.

I'm glad the three of them managed to upgrade to Daughter Daddies :unsmith:

I did expect the two of Kazuki's ladyfriends to show up in the finale though considering that they were in the OP for a bit.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 1, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Southern Cassowary posted:

I think its true that it didn't really add much, but I'm not sure where they could have done with it and still have it fit in with the show, unless they had more episodes I guess. Miri is not at an age where it would really make sense for them to go "Oh, we murdered your dad and indirectly got your mom killed". And if any type of person would be willing to forgive that sort of thing, it seems like Miri would be it so I'm ok with buying into the happy timeskip future. Maybe the show would've been better off without the mom death. A good show overall imo.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
My assuption is that they brought the mom back so there would be no question of the stakes, remove "well what if you had just" from the table, and force the character to act.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

My assuption is that they brought the mom back so there would be no question of the stakes, remove "well what if you had just" from the table, and force the character to act.

It could've been a near fatal wound instead of a fatal would and still kept the stakes, but I guess it just closes the book on that fully rather than leave anything open.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the flashback scenes when rei confronts his dad had some inspired framing decisions.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
also i can't believe rei may have destroyed his gamer skills to save his family. what a hero.

daughter daddies was my favorite anime last season, although revenger was good too. farewell winter 2023

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Mou Ippon ended pretty much exactly like expected, still a fun show though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Big Leg posted:

also i can't believe rei may have destroyed his gamer skills to save his family. what a hero.

Didn't even think of that, guy did the ultimate sacrifice.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
"what good are these hands if they can't make her happy" was pretty raw ngl

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I finally finished watching Giant Beasts of Ars and it felt like such a let down. There's a big climatic battle and then cut to credits and then boom something come up out of nowhere and there's a sinister end line and that's it. See you in the sequel it's probably not going to get.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Insomniacs is good. The've done a pretty good job of emulating the mangaka's character style (and the strong eyebrows on their main heroines) and it quite nicely hits those slow and comfortable notes that they have in their previous series. Also cats.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dumping my end of season thoughts since the last winter seasonal I was watching finally finished. This is in descending order of how much I liked the show.

IDOLiSH7 Third Beat!: Aside from all the big showy acts of violence, this season mostly felt like a transitionary arc. We got the new antagonists introduced and they're all such giant assholes that it'll be a testament to the strength of this series writing if they can get the strict moral purists out there to buy their inevitable redemption arcs. As always, I appreciate how much this show awards paying attention, weaving in foreshadowing and callbacks so masterfully that every rewatch is a rewarding experience as you're bound to find something you missed the last time through. I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say in 8 months, but for now there's one part I want to highlight. There's a scene early on in the second cour where a character brings up his coping mechanism for getting through stressful situations and we get a funny gag for a few minutes, but then like 15 episodes later we see him lean on the same coping mechanism again in the face of immediate harrowing trauma and it clearly does not help at all, like it's the frigging sad reprise of a musical. Cant has said before how boydol shows are more willing than their female counterparts to let their casts stew in uncomfortable situations and man is that ever not more true than this season ending on a downer and making you sit in it.

Detective Conan: The Culprit Hanzawa: Technically this is fully a fall 2022 show, but Netflix only subbed it this season, so in here it goes. Easily the most successful parody spin-off series I've ever seen. You've got the usual stable of jokes everyone has made about the Conan franchise, but the delivery is consistently quick and witty and never has any reservations about poking fun at itself. The references to all the bizarre real murder setups in the main series can easily pass by unnoticed for the unaware but is a real treat for longtime fans.

Shadowverse Flame: Shadowverse remains the card game anime with the best production values in the industry. While it's slower paced than the first season and can get stuck in some obvious game outcome eps, I appreciate the greater emphasis on the character writing. I especially like Light as a protagonist who's pretty dumb but extremely earnest, and he's a good foil to all the bitter, derisive antagonists strewn about this season. And hey, unlike in the first season he actually loses sometimes and learns to have fun despite that. Very much feels like the show Yugioh GX was trying to be before it fell on its face and tried to correct course by inserting a bunch of fake flashbacks to show how close friends the cast was.

Technoroid: Overmind: It's hard not to call this a Detroit Become Human ripoff but I enjoyed how the mystery of the setting is played out with some truly wild poo poo. Special shout-out to episode 10 where we find out Dad spent years on his unethical AI work because he was unable to move on from his inappropriate unrequited feelings for his much younger lab assistant to go on to become the most cucked man in the world. And then he died. What a legend.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: will+Dress Season 2: The brainwashing AI cult is cool or whatever, but what I watch card game shows for is the stupid poo poo, and boy is nothing stupider than jamming your opponents ace monster into your deck with minimal synergy and making it way more inconsistent for highly situational gain. The game ending on a turn-by-turn vanilla rear end slugfest with mutual awful draws is just the cherry on top. I could argue this is one of the best games in the franchise's history just for how real it feels.

UniteUp!: This had perhaps the strongest premiere of the season, so it's a shame that it also feels like the biggest victim of the Aniplex implosion. I really enjoyed how natural the friendships felt between the main unit, but the episodes focusing on the other groups mostly felt like they were going through the motions. The series progression ends up rather scattered, with an ending arc predicated on some rather asinine drama and a perfunctory conclusion. They did resolve the drama with an episode playing baseball, so I can't really complain. It is refreshing that the cast is full of newcomers who feel like they were chosen out of real singers rather than the usual stable of a couple dozen established voice actors, and I want to give special mention to the episode where one of the kids ends up lost alone in Hawaii, because (a) I could go, "hey, I know this place," and (b) it's a really sweet and heartwarming story about the kindness of strangers.

High Card: The first half of this show felt right at home with the wacky antics you'd find in a tokusatsu show, but the back half is rather bogged down by tedious self-sacrificial drama that sidelines most of the cast. Hope they can turn things around in the second cour. Very much enjoyed the car karaoke ED though. It's easily my favorite of the season.

Eternal Boys: If I had to describe this show in one word, it'd be unambitious. Some of the character beats are decent but there's nothing really to function as a hook. The focus on realism is a nice touch though. The final conundrum our group faces is a concert they have to sell out or they lose their production company, and it's scheduled against a much more popular established group. There's barely any preamble about how they don't sell more than a handful of tickets and the company does go bankrupt. That's just how life goes sometimes.

Buddy Daddies: This show felt like they were putting the kid antics first and foremost, and everything else ends up rather shallow and barely explored. I don't like kids, but I think they're boring in most parenting narratives because they all end up being about finding the joy in life in opening up to a kid, who's too young to be anything but unconditionally accepting.

Mou Ippon!: Some real big doldrums in the middle of this show, where we get episode after episode of introducing the rival team of the round one girl at a time and always to the same conclusion of wow, they're just like us. And then they lose to us. It picks up a bit at the end when we're up against the powerhouse school and can actually show something else happening (like losing), but then the ending point mostly just feels arbitrary. The cast feels a bit mismanaged when most of the matches end up going to our protagonist. We spend time doing things like recruiting kendo girl to the team and then bar her completely from competing in the tournament. Like why is she even here.

Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season: This season runs full on into the same issues as some forever shounen where the main antagonist is presented as extremely cunning and all-knowing so no one can actually ever win against him, because we're playing checkers into 36-dimensional chess. The fact that he's still around in the manga does not bode well for the anime's future. And worst of all, the carjacking joke was in this season, and they absolutely ruined it.

Nijiyon Animation: Despite what Cant may argue, I don't think this has real jokes.

Campfire Cooking Isekai: Every time I think, "maybe this isekai will be different," and it never is. Very much a nothing happens series where our protagonist faces no real hardship and is loved by everyone immediately. I'll never get the appeal.

Blue Lock: The first half was kinda promising in our protagonist being a little freak surrounded by other sickos, but then they keep backtracking on it, and Isagi ends up being one of my least favorite shounen protagonists for how milquetoast he is. In the back half, it's impossible to tell what's going on in games, the animation falls apart, and the episodes are full of padding reminding the viewer what the stakes are seeminingly every three lines. The cast is stuffed full of one-note gimmicks, and man did my patience evaporate when they decided to end the season on introducing 20 more wacky hair guys.

Digimon Ghost Game: Honestly would've rated four points higher if it was half as long. Extremely formulaic and predictable to the point that it's actively detrimental, because when you have some Digimon almost kill a dozen guys who turn out perfectly fine at the end, it's hard to believe any episode has actual stakes. Every story gets exactly one episode to run, so most episodes end up having an okay setup that gets ruined with a rushed ending, and the cast is full of bland characters who never get to meaningfully grow or change. The occasional nods to the big overarching plot in the background are more annoying than anything else because they don't get addressed until the literal last three episodes of the series, where everything is wrapped up as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

That's a lot of seasonal anime bro