Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone! It's new years' resolution 2023 time!

Post your resolution(s) in this thread. They can be game-related or non-game-related, either or both is fine. In a couple of weeks I'll move this thread off to the hidden realms of the mod forum, and then next December after Christmas I or some other mod will have it moved back and you can see how you did!

For those of you who participated last year, here's the 2022 thread. It's open now, so you can post in that thread if you want to reply to stuff or discuss how you did: post in this thread to talk about what you're gonna do next year, or whatever. You can also be supportive and comment on each other's resolutions too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I vowed to run Unknown Armies last year and it went really well. I ran my first campaign in a few years and found a group of people I enjoyed playing with a lot more than my old open table. I wrote a bunch of content for the Statosphere book Special Orders: Scottish Rite and several more that are still in development. I also wrote a bunch of my own stuff.

This year I'm going to learn Affinity and release at least one Statosphere book of my own, and run/attend some games at the local club (haven't decided what) instead of doing absolutely everything online.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was too heartbroken last year to post a resolution, but this year I want to read at least one TRPG book in full, cover to cover, and post an opinion about it (thank you Arivia for the resolution idea)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was too heartbroken last year to post a resolution, but this year I want to read at least one TRPG book in full, cover to cover, and post an opinion about it (thank you Arivia for the resolution idea)

Oh you are welcome! I vote Worlds Without Number if you don’t have any ideas.

My own ability to run games got killed last year by my post-covid struggles. I want to run at least an adventure to completion this year.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
My 2023 goal: run a Blades in the Dark campaign for some friends of mine. The friend who really wanted to play Blades some time may see this. If she does... hey! Keep up the good work with the Fellowship campaign!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been kicking around an idea to run a CYOA on the forums one of these days, so I'll go ahead and vow to do it in 2023. It's tentatively called "You Have A Space Ship." I haven't GMed science fiction before other than Paranoia and I really want to do something along those lines and I have a sense that a CYOA might have better legs than the usual PbP thing.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well drat, what am I going to do this year?

Oh, I know! My theme for 2023 is the "Year of Exploration".

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
1) I will run a second miniature kickstarter, with landsknecht ducks.

2) I will paint up at least ten battletechs.

3) I will play at least one Napoleonics game.

4) I will make a Samurai conversion of the Lasalle (napoleonics miniature game) ruleset.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm going to set two simple ones for myself;

1) make some manner of progress in a project I've been trying to do for a while, expand out early D&D paraphernalia "Down In The Dungeon" into a usable setting, as there's some fascinating stuff in that book due to how early in D&D's existence it came out, it definitely leans on a lot of classic D&D tropes but due to being made in 1981 those tropes haven't quite fully solidified like they would by the end of the decade so there's some oddness in there too

2) try and read at least one work by every author on the original "Appendix N"*, already off to a good start on this one as I've got several of Margaret St Clair's novels and short story collections freshly purchased off eBay and should have them soon enough(and one I've got an active bid on)

*from my recollection some of the other early D&D versions also include "inspirational reading" sections so I might include those too depending on how quickly I make it though just the original DMG set

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The usual resolution: Complete X pet projects, where X varies but this year will be six.

Plus I want to keep up the gym habit and get more face to face gaming in. There are a couple of board game groups around here I've got my eye on, so we'll see how that goes.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
TTRPG stuff:
  1. Finish X projects
  2. Make L O D S of E M O N E
  3. Set up a web app that lets people make custom versions of my game icon typeface
  4. Playtest more poo poo

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 2, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

1. paint at least 100 minis in 2023
2. STRETCH GOAL: Paint 200 minis in 2023
3. play at least 5 different board games (even old ones is fine) with other people
4. take some time to practice traditional art again
5. DM one session of some rpg, maybe the Goblings I got from kickstarter?
6. Don't buy more board games, you don't need them. Play the ones you have first.
7. complete at least 5 video games. You bought more than you completed.
8. build those shelves you need for all your nerd doodads.
9. go to the gym at least once
10. see if you can find the last two boxes of Earth Break season 1, you never finished that. There's a season 2 out!
11. read 50 books, I read 42 (granted some were short novellas but still counts!) this year

Other stretch goals:

1. learn some work-related stuff, like a Security+ certification
2. maybe try making a basic game in one of those RPG Maker software or something, I made a basic one in rpg maker 2000 eons ago, it can't possibly be harder today. Maybe a 30 minute game?
3. play some games with the bros, like ARK or something
4. if you have time, try picking up the guitar again, or the ukulele again
5. maybe some of those minis is a complete set of...something? from any collection
6. try not to buy too many minis, don't get sucked into FOMO

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I enjoyed my TG and non TG related goals last year so will do the same this year

TG related:
1. Play in at least one RPG game as a player (still holding over from 22)
2. Run at least one RPG as a DM (try damned hard to get something off the ground)
3. Play my Board Game Challenges (all collection, and 1 a day with the fam)
4. Spend <1000NZD on board games (seems a lot, but last year was disgusting)
5. Eagerly await Frosthaven, and play that once a month at least when it arrives

Non-TG related:
1. Clear the last remaining debt - last credit card, and over draft. So close! Bonus points if clear second car finance.
2. Save up 20k for the move to Australia
3. Get job lined up, and move to Australia
4. Holy poo poo that last one needs two lines.
5. Somehow survive your kid reaching teenaged years.
6. Finish your work project implementation - stop pissing about

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Going to keep it manageable for this year, too, especially since I burned out last year and basically barely played for a lot of it, and ran zero games.

1. Run a game. Any game. Just really, run something for gently caress's sake. You've got a whole year, you piece of poo poo. Just do it! gently caress!!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

1. Get a new loving job because this one is crushing my mental health.
2. Run a game for more than 3 sessions.
3. End the year weighing less than I do now.
4. Fire up my Patreon again and write stuff for it.
5. Go on an actual holiday, like I haven't since early 2019.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
1. Get a game of WiF played, any scenario

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

1. Get back to regularly running a Call of Cthulhu campaign
2. Assemble and paint a skirmish game's worth of miniatures (for Necromunda, Dracula's America, Test of Honor, etc.)
3. Get my resin printing station up and running
4. Build and paint a 3x3 table's worth of terrain (for Necromunda, Dracula's America, Test of Honor, etc.)

a. Lift weights 2-3 times a week
b. Lose 30 pounds
c. Read for 30 minutes at least 5 nights a week
d. Budget at least $150 a month for new home emergency fund

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Do more DMing.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
1. See both campaigns that I am currently running to completion (Abomination Vaults to level 10 and 4e to Mid-Paragon/Epic levels)
2. Complete Frosthaven in its entirety
3. Get more into painting minis, probably paint three frosthaven minis by year's end

a. Continue with weight loss (down 30 lbs from last year, hoping for another 30 more)
b. Get back into lifting weights
c. Finish more games/books that I start instead of abandoning them when i lose momentum.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

1. Run a campaign of something.
  2. Pull out a boardgame with work pals.
  3. Get back into F&F, I have so many notes on an awful colonialist game and they must see print.
  1. Start a union at work.
  2. Figure out makeup worth a drat.
  3. Get my medical insurance to guarantee my orchiectomy.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Octavo posted:

Run one final game (blades in the dark) before the baby arrives in April.
Persuade someone else to run games for the rest of the year while I figure out parenting.

I did manage to run one tiny session of Blades in the Dark, but that turned out to be the nail in the coffin for the regular group I'd had since 2020. I got into a bunch of OSR stuff and when people came up to see the baby, I ran Old School Essentials dungeons for them, so that was fun.

This year, I want to run more OSE modules and then splash into Torchbearer 2e, Trophy Dark/Gold, and maybe a little Mothership 1e. I always resolve to run Unknown Armies, but it never quite comes together. It's on my brain again since I finally finished Last Call by Tim Powers.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
1. Run a game, any system.
2. Run one of the 1-on-1 Pelgrane scenarios.
3. Find a new job or somehow figure out how to afford going back to university for a counseling degree. Or maybe both?
4. Get my motorcycle license and buy a bike.
5. Find a therapist I click with and commit to getting my dumb brain in shape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Last chance! I'm gonna stuff this thread in a locker some time in the next few days.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
RPG Stuff:

1) Start a Feng Shui game. I've had this idea of doing a modern day John Woo style short game of the PCs going up against a powerful corrupt maverick cop bouncing around and I've finally been getting around to going through the rules, writing out some possible villains and side characters, and getting ready to do it PbP. I'm not going to resolve to finish it, because PbP, but I'd like to at least give it a shot. I'm also running an AW game so I might try to wait until I'm sure I can handle running two PbP games at once.

2) Start posting a writeup in the FATAL thread for the second edition of Apocalypse World. I think the first edition is up there, I'd like to introduce the rules without going too deep into them and talk about what's changed.

Real World Stuff:

1) Mostly just cooking - trying to go out less often and pick up recipes to try. Meals/ snacks / pastries/ etc. I got one book for beginners but I'm also looking online for stuff to print out.

2) Get a simple part time job I can at least stand so I can help more with expenses.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
  • Post a resolution (:nice:)
  • Crowdfund and release yet another Hard Wired Island thing
  • Finish the last Breakfast Cult expansion
  • Finish the FATAL & Friends CthulhuTech reviews (for real this time)
  • Release another one of the other games I'm working on
  • Get my first light novel text-complete and edited
  • Get my LUMEN game, Sukeban Dracula, ready to crowdfund

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Check out your last year's resolutions here!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Leperflesh posted:

Check out your last year's resolutions here!

uuuuuhhhj do i have to

edit: huh apparently I didn't make one. free and easy 2024

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Having been in grad school or on the tenure track these past 10 years, I’ve moved around everywhere and so never had a friend group or game group.

2024 is going to be where that changes. Being a lonely tenure track dude just isn’t fun.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

1. Run a campaign of something.
  2. Pull out a boardgame with work pals.
  3. Get back into F&F, I have so many notes on an awful colonialist game and they must see print.
  1. Start a union at work.
  2. Figure out makeup worth a drat.
  3. Get my medical insurance to guarantee my orchiectomy.
Lol I did B and C?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

1. Get a new loving job because this one is crushing my mental health.
2. Run a game for more than 3 sessions.
3. End the year weighing less than I do now.
4. Fire up my Patreon again and write stuff for it.
5. Go on an actual holiday, like I haven't since early 2019.

1. Yup. Got out of that shithole.
2. Nope. Played a lot of board games, but no RPGs
3. Yes, but not by much. But I was in hospital for two months with no real chance for exercise, so it's a bigger win than it seems
4. No, but I'm getting back to writing in general, which I didn't so much previously.
5. Nope. I left the city only once all year.

2/5 is better than nothing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

1. paint at least 100 minis in 2023
2. STRETCH GOAL: Paint 200 minis in 2023
3. play at least 5 different board games (even old ones is fine) with other people
4. take some time to practice traditional art again
5. DM one session of some rpg, maybe the Goblings I got from kickstarter?
6. Don't buy more board games, you don't need them. Play the ones you have first.
7. complete at least 5 video games. You bought more than you completed.
8. build those shelves you need for all your nerd doodads.
9. go to the gym at least once
10. see if you can find the last two boxes of Earth Break season 1, you never finished that. There's a season 2 out!
11. read 50 books, I read 42 (granted some were short novellas but still counts!) this year

Other stretch goals:

1. learn some work-related stuff, like a Security+ certification
2. maybe try making a basic game in one of those RPG Maker software or something, I made a basic one in rpg maker 2000 eons ago, it can't possibly be harder today. Maybe a 30 minute game?
3. play some games with the bros, like ARK or something
4. if you have time, try picking up the guitar again, or the ukulele again
5. maybe some of those minis is a complete set of...something? from any collection
6. try not to buy too many minis, don't get sucked into FOMO

1. Smashed this, with 203 Minis. 2024's goal will be 300. I'll have to spend even more time painting. Unfortunately, even 300 minis in a year won't get caught up with my wall of grey. I estimate I got about 2 years worth of backlog at this rate :negative:
2. Got it :c00l:
3. Got this; I joined a weekly boardgaming get together in my local area
4. did not even bother to attempt this. Looks like this will be 2024's goal
5. Did not have the time for this. Moving to 2024
6. LOL Failed
7. LOL Failed.
8. Some shelves were put up, I guess this is a win
9. I did! I went from 245->211 but I'm back up to 230 because I stopped being able to afford going to the gym and got depressed. 2024 goal is at least to hit 200 but likely I won't be able to hit that safely till June. My overall goal is 180 which is probably an end of the year goal...
10. no one responded to me so I haven't been able to find them
11. I read 52!

Other:

1. didn't get this, and this seems less likely to happen due to job stuff changing
2. forgot I made this as a goal
3. some were played, but not much, been too busy
4. failed
5. This completed at one point, yes, but then I bought more.
6. LOL Failed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

I'm going to set two simple ones for myself;

1) make some manner of progress in a project I've been trying to do for a while, expand out early D&D paraphernalia "Down In The Dungeon" into a usable setting, as there's some fascinating stuff in that book due to how early in D&D's existence it came out, it definitely leans on a lot of classic D&D tropes but due to being made in 1981 those tropes haven't quite fully solidified like they would by the end of the decade so there's some oddness in there too

2) try and read at least one work by every author on the original "Appendix N"*, already off to a good start on this one as I've got several of Margaret St Clair's novels and short story collections freshly purchased off eBay and should have them soon enough(and one I've got an active bid on)

*from my recollection some of the other early D&D versions also include "inspirational reading" sections so I might include those too depending on how quickly I make it though just the original DMG set

This one ended as a complete failure but mostly because for most of the first half of the year I was living out of a hotel(our house had to get a lot of work done on it due to mold and water damage), will probably try these over again this year or something

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's the 2024 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050935

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I've been kicking around an idea to run a CYOA on the forums one of these days, so I'll go ahead and vow to do it in 2023. It's tentatively called "You Have A Space Ship." I haven't GMed science fiction before other than Paranoia and I really want to do something along those lines and I have a sense that a CYOA might have better legs than the usual PbP thing.

I didn't do it, it felt too generic and I did no work on it. Maybe this year!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lilljonas posted:

1) I will run a second miniature kickstarter, with landsknecht ducks.

2) I will paint up at least ten battletechs.

3) I will play at least one Napoleonics game.

4) I will make a Samurai conversion of the Lasalle (napoleonics miniature game) ruleset.

1) No, but close. I did sculpt 70+ minis. Waiting for my caster to set up a siocast machine before I launch the kickstarter.

2) Not even close, but half a dozen are in various stages of painting.

3) Lol I played like, a single minis game last year, and that was SAGA.

4) Nopes.

In short - having a one year old gives you less hobby time than a zero year old. Lesson learned.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Heliotrope posted:

RPG Stuff:

1) Start a Feng Shui game. I've had this idea of doing a modern day John Woo style short game of the PCs going up against a powerful corrupt maverick cop bouncing around and I've finally been getting around to going through the rules, writing out some possible villains and side characters, and getting ready to do it PbP. I'm not going to resolve to finish it, because PbP, but I'd like to at least give it a shot. I'm also running an AW game so I might try to wait until I'm sure I can handle running two PbP games at once.

2) Start posting a writeup in the FATAL thread for the second edition of Apocalypse World. I think the first edition is up there, I'd like to introduce the rules without going too deep into them and talk about what's changed.

Real World Stuff:

1) Mostly just cooking - trying to go out less often and pick up recipes to try. Meals/ snacks / pastries/ etc. I got one book for beginners but I'm also looking online for stuff to print out.

2) Get a simple part time job I can at least stand so I can help more with expenses.

This year loving sucked for me. I got hit with a stomach bug in the summer so bad I'm still feeling constantly nauseous and have to use medication for that. So it kinda hosed some things up but not everything.

RPG Stuff

1) Just barely. Got a discord with three players, we're still doing first scene but we've been busy.

2) Nope.

Real World Stuff

1) Cooking went great. I can't eat a lot at a time or handle some spicier stuff but I've learned a lot and I've learned how easy it is and the great satisfaction of eating something you put together yourself. I guess I should say "went great" because I learned a lot for simple foods, I'm not really hugely talented or making complicated stuff.

2) Got aforementioned stomach bug, hosed my plans up. I went to gig app work a little while ago and it's helping around. I also applied to a local temp job. We'll see how that goes.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

Well drat, what am I going to do this year?

Oh, I know! My theme for 2023 is the "Year of Exploration".

Well, I started a Monsterhearts game as a player, swapped to the MC and ran the new game to a season 1 ending;

Got back into cooking for myself and the family;

Got involved in a Monsterhearts PbP server and hosed around with a Skin I'd never played before;

Started playing Fortnite with some friends;

Started designing my first homebrew Monsterhearts Skin;

Messed around a bit with Godot, absolutely nothing's come of that yet;

I'm calling 2023 a success, and you can't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Spiteski posted:

I enjoyed my TG and non TG related goals last year so will do the same this year

TG related:
1. Play in at least one RPG game as a player (still holding over from 22)
2. Run at least one RPG as a DM (try damned hard to get something off the ground)
3. Play my Board Game Challenges (all collection, and 1 a day with the fam)
4. Spend <1000NZD on board games (seems a lot, but last year was disgusting)
5. Eagerly await Frosthaven, and play that once a month at least when it arrives

Non-TG related:
1. Clear the last remaining debt - last credit card, and over draft. So close! Bonus points if clear second car finance.
2. Save up 20k for the move to Australia
3. Get job lined up, and move to Australia
4. Holy poo poo that last one needs two lines.
5. Somehow survive your kid reaching teenaged years.
6. Finish your work project implementation - stop pissing about

TG Related:
1. lol nope.
2. Started DMing 4th edition DnD again, so that's a plus. 4 new people to the game and they're loving it.
3. I got to 87% of my collection played, and have started culling those I didn't WANT to get to.
4. Lol nope.
5. Got frosthaven, went strong for 30ish scenarios and then we burnt out

Non-TG related:
1. We did this! No more debt except for one thing - a FRIGGIN MORTGAGE.
2. We saved 50k last year, and got a friggin house. No moving for us, but the primary reason we wanted to move was to get a house - so a win.
3. As above.
4. As above, two lines.
5. Son is now 13, daughter is now 9 going on 13. God help us all.
6. Got a new job!